Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canon 5D III (X) ...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 henryp

jcf wrote: »
    Is that true ? the bhphoto price doesn't include tax?
    The prices on our site do not include tax. If a customer buys in our NYC store and takes the merchandise we're obliged to collect NYC sales tax. That would increase a $100.00 purchase to 108.88. For non-US customers buying in our store, the situation is the same.

If we ship merchandise to any address within NY state we're obliged to collect tax at the rate set by the destination. In NY state that can vary from county to county or town to town.

If we ship your order overseas you may be subject to duty or customs or other import fees and taxes imposed by your government. Our site can calculate them for some products for some countries.

Henry Posner
    B&H Photo-Video

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

I had five minutes with the MkIII yesterday at 'Focus on Imaging' in Birmingham. Can't say anything about image quality (they had the card cover taped so you couldn't stick your own in) but I was impressed by the bigger clearer screen/viewfinder, the handling and the burst speed. I especially liked the 'silent' burst' - you can shoot a burst of three and it is practically silent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭jcf

jpfahy wrote: »
    I had five minutes with the MkIII yesterday at 'Focus on Imaging' in Birmingham. Can't say anything about image quality (they had the card cover taped so you couldn't stick your own in) but I was impressed by the bigger clearer screen/viewfinder, the handling and the burst speed. I especially liked the 'silent' burst' - you can shoot a burst of three and it is practically silent.

Whats the advantage of this ?

Wildlife photography??

Well I could have done with it recently when shooting some actors doing a reading at a very small venue. I really felt my clicking was intrusive and didn't shoot half what I wanted to

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Cameraman

jcf wrote: »
    Whats the advantage of this ?

Wildlife photography??

Once again - Wedding Photography - particularly during the ceremony.

If photography is ever allowed in courtrooms here - would also be useful (I know that 'quiet' cameras are required for this in other countries).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

The 1dmk3 has a silent shutter option on the drive selection, very handy for weddings. Also if you have live view this can be used very quietly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

does the 7d have a silent shutter mode?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,997 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yep - lift your finger off the shutter release.

uhh?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

There's two silent shooting modes but iirc they only work in Live View.

Does the mkIII have a transmissive LCD viewfinder?

• Advertisement

5uspect wrote: »
    Does the mkIII have a transmissive LCD viewfinder?

It does (in the viewfinder) - so you get electronic level, grid display and AF status indicator displays via this

5uspect wrote: »
    There's two silent shooting modes but iirc they only work in Live View.

is there a firmware hack that enables silent shoot mode when u click the shutter button?

is there a firmware hack that enables silent shoot mode when u click the shutter button?

Not sure if you're talking about the 7D or 5D MK III.

For the MKIII. quiet mode works in normal 'press the shutter button" mode. It's quieter because the mirror returns more slowly. As a result, the max fps drops from 6 to 3.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

The viewfinder on the 7D is one of it's best features, it's great to see the transmissive LCD on other bodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

jpfahy wrote: »

is it worth getting ? or will I wait till the 1D X .... at least we have a release date for the 5D mkIII unlike the 1D X

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭BlastedGlute

I ****ing love my mark 2 :D This lens is unreal!! I was using a 60D and the 17-55mm 2.8 and while they are a super combo, this new setup is friggin glorious :D Very very happy!

I ****ing love my mark 2 :D This lens is unreal!! I was using a 60D and the 17-55mm 2.8 and while they are a super combo, this new setup is friggin glorious :D Very very happy!

Enjoy, its a beauty allright ...

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭BlastedGlute

and why have i never read anything about this shutter button :O its incredible, no click or anything just that smooth cushion from focus to capture, very cool

MARK 2 OF WHAT?

5d? i have a mk2 of the 70-200f2.8. now thats ****ing sweet mate. PRIME L lens quality on a zoom bruv

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Have this camera almost 3 weeks now, it's blowing me away.

great review here, very well presented.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAtOxcJNoC8&feature=uploademail

and how to get the best out of the incredible AF system
    http://downloads.canon.com/CDLC/EOS_1DX_AF_Guide_CDLC.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭EyeBlinks

Have this camera almost 3 weeks now, it's blowing me away.

great review here, very well presented.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAtOxcJNoC8&feature=uploademail

and how to get the best out of the incredible AF system
    http://downloads.canon.com/CDLC/EOS_1DX_AF_Guide_CDLC.pdf[/QUOTE]

You got a mark 3 Janer ?

Have you some samples Janer??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

I've had the mk 3 since the day it came out...March 16th :P

http://pix.ie/punkrock/album/436778

My pics to the random thread have all been the mk 3.

I can't get over how good the AF is, I've so much to learn, it has so many features....

I've had the mk 3 since the day it came out...March 16th :P

http://pix.ie/punkrock/album/436778

My pics to the random thread have all been the mk 3.

I can't get over how good the AF is, I've so much to learn, it has so many features....

I have an opportunity to get this on financing ... Maybe I will , I'll wait for the full review on dpreview ....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Here's an article on the 1D X, but the AF system is the same as the 5D MkIII. So, some interesting reading for you.

http://learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2012/1dx_guidebook.shtml?categoryId=12

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

Done any gigs with it yet AR? I'd like to see how the new ISO stuff handles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

Received mine this morning. Haven't had much time to play with it in any serious manner, but so far I'm very impressed. Lots of neat little improvements in there that a lot of people aren't really talking about in reviews.

The LCD for example, is far superior to the mkII.

The memory card door no longer feels like a slight gust of wind would rip it from the side of the camera. In fact the build quality and ergonomics of the body seem to be vastly improved. It feels heavier/sturdier and more comfortable in the hands

The built in help system in the menus is also very nice, considering just how complex the new AF system is. Also handy when you delve into the custom functions.

Most of the buttons seem to be at least somewhat customizable.

7 shot AE bracketing over an 8 stop range. Double exposures etc.

High ISO is as good as everyone is making it out to be. I wouldn't think twice about going to 6400 on it.

Using the Standard picture style, images seem a tad more vibrant and contrasty compared to the mkII.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

You forgot about the built-in HDR!

I'm sure Pete will want a go on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

Here's a sample for ya'll:
    4.jpg
    85mm, f1.2, ISO3200...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭thatsnotmyname

^
    Lovely shot
    but if you told me it was the Mk2
    I wouldn't have noticed a difference!

Thats one sexy lens you got there

So the AF is vastly improved by all accounts
    I don't own the MK2 so unsure how bad it actually was!!

As regards pricing etc, is there much of a difference in the retail price between here and say New York ?

Advertisement