Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haunted in Cork

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Ah Well

Milly33 wrote: »
    On another one, I was down with my manfriends aunt and unlce in Coachford last night and they told me a few tales about some places around there that are suppose to be haunted. One Shandy house where Dr. Cross was hung (not in the house but he lived there) for poisioning his wife. Another one about a black dog that is suppose to haunt the spot where Coachford town used to originally be a few miles towards Dripsey direction. Very intersting stuff i am trying to see if I can find out more details. There is another about a house around the area that has the spirit of a child there for years.. if anyone knows anymore i would be very interested

Shandy Hall (near Dripsey Bridge) was the residence of Philip Cross and he was executed for the death of his wife (by poisoning). She is buried in the old graveyard to the left of the church across the road from Coachford National School.

Coachford originally a few miles towards Dripsey direction??? That one is not at all true because Coachford itself pretty much did not exist approx 200 years ago and is a relatively new village. Before that it was simply known as Magourney (which was the Parish and Magourney Church is the church I mentioned above). At a rough guess Coachford prob took off approx the 1830s. During the Great Famine shortly afterwards it was an important location with two depots, a dispensary, etc and in the Macroom Poor Law Union area. Add to that the Muskerry Light Railway and the place took off from approx 1830s onwards.

So there was no Village known as Coachford before the one that is there now and it's in the place where it was previously :)

Re the Black Dog... I have heard that one before admittedly but it was to be seen at a different location which is very much these days within the boundaries of the present Coachford village = very close to the Village Centre itself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭MarkD.

Im very interested in the paranormal, have seen a few eerie things in my time. Was always sceptical but this story I have for you now changed my view on it all.
    Just one thing before I go on, Ive read all this thread and dissappointed that more people dont have stories of St Kevins aka what they heard from others that they have seen there. Eerie experiences are one thing but witnessing and seeing things is what makes a great story.
    Id like to read more stories like the one I have put into writing here, this is factual, it did happen and my mate can verify it. Also have other stories of haunted houses and hotels, I'll post them up here upon request.

Enjoy my story, its long but worth it. Please leave feedback :)

Right here it goes-

Its a very complicated and long hard story to get the gist of. Easier explained in person and while driving on the road in question.

It was around this time last year when a gud friend of mine by the name of Dave who lives up in a place called Kilcorney its about 12 miles from Kanturk and a few miles from Millstreet country park. Its the middle of nowhere basically, its also on a mountain.

Was out drinking one Sat night with Dave, no spin home so stayed at his house. Next day after brushing off a hangover at around 6 o clock Dave said we'll go for a spin to Kanturk and then onto Kilgarvan down near Kenmare cos he was starting working the next day on the windfarm down there, as he is an electrician. To be sure of where he was going he said we'd take a spin down there.
    As we left his house we both clearly remembered that there was no one at home as the rest were out and werent coming home that night. The only light we left on was kitchen light at the back of the house and the two dogs were in there.
    It was a very cold and really misty night. Mist was falling for hours.
    Went to Kilgarvan, onto Macroom and it was about half 10 or 11 o clock by the time we came past Millstreet country park. Turned right as we were going to Rylane (All this shown in map below) past the house thats nearest to Dave's which is over 4 miles away. No joke, this is extreme isolation.
    Came to the carpark at the top of Daves road, note he is the only house on this road. The road itself is the width of one car, rarely used raod but very well surfaced.
    As we drove on the road (Heading north in the map) As we continued on down the road, Dave was busy sparking up a fag, Next thing i see the man and goes to Dave "Who the fcuk is he out walking at this hour!" We both looked up and realised the man had no torch or reflectors. Dave slowed way down, and said "I Dunno who he is, and I know everyone for miles around here"
    He was on our right and we met him at point 1 on the map.
    As we past the man he rotated and put his back to us as we were passing at about 5mph. It was like he was a cog and the car was a cog and he rotated away from us so we couldnt see his face, was just like there was a black hole, Dave was hanging out the window and couldnt even see the side of his face or his left ear.

I know old people wear old cloths but this fellas clothes were ancient looking, he was wearing a very long beige jacket that went down past his knees.
    Couldnt see his feet as he was standing in grass. Was also wearing a hat.
    As e all know beigy colours and grey colurs when wet will have a wet patch that is a differnet colour on the shoulder area but this fella didnt???...
    We continued down to daves house in silence, pulled into his driveway and realise more lights were on at the front of the house then we left on. We both freaked!
    Dave told me stay in the car and watch to see if the man walks down while he goes in and checks the house. I watched and waited but notthing only mist is all I seen. Dave came out and said the house was ok, dogs were still in the kitchen as we left them.
    Then Dave said we'd go down to the cross about 20metres from his house and look around. Did that and seen notting. Next thing we turned to head up the road we seen the thing. Drove up both of us ****less, then seen notting as we went past the place we seen the man. Drove on up slowly and seen notthing I was getting worried that "he" vanished, then I said "I never seen that rock before" Dave said- "Its not a rock its Him!"
    He was after going to the other side of the road and was up the road anothe 250metres from where we seen him the first time and was closer to the carpark, but still on our right.
    We did the same as first time, crept up to him to look. Yet again he turned as we drove past, wa sstill in the same clothes and not showing signs of wet clothes and no shoes. Also no show from facial features.
    Now we were getting very very worried. We kept saying what kind or a person out walking in the middle of nowhere that none of us knew doesnt salute, has no dog with him, has no torch with him, has no reflectors with him and turns away from us when were nearly stopped next to him. This time we met him at point 2 on the map.
    We continued up the road and Dave goes "Im turning around!!" So he did, drove down and again I taught he vanished next thing Dave roars "He's there again and other side of the road again!!"
    He was hiding behind a bush so we could barely seen him. This time he was on our right again and was standing between point 1 and point 2.
    This time we possibly did the bravest thing we've both ever done- Dave stopped the car next to him.
    And you guessed it; aswel as before his back was facing us, we both had a clear view of him could see no facial features again and he didnt turn to salute or look at us.
    If it was a real person you would clearly turn around as you would have known we were there as he had good strong lights on the car and it was a diesel corolla so fairly noisy.
    Dave put her into gear and tore off in the direction of Kanturk.
    To get to Kanturk from that area you must go through Kilcorney village and Banteer.
    I kept repeating that was abnormal! Trying to make out what it was, whether it was a real human or a ghostly thing. Also said to Dave that any "Normal" person would have a light with them, or a reflector on them, and normally in the middle of nowhere they would salute.
    As we just left Banteer proof of what I just said happened. There was a person out jogging, they had a torch and saluted us even tho we didnt salute them. Thats what I call normal.
    Dave dropped me home, and lets say we didnt sleep easy that night at all :|
    After that we sorta forgot about it. Then during the snowfall after Christmas last year around February a good gang of us went up to the mountain above Daves house. Otherwise known as Mushra, went up to the carpark on the map as its really deep unspoilt snow. We all had serious craic. We went up at about 6 in the evening, then at about half ten we saad we'd call it a night.
    I drove west along the Millstreet direction from the carpark and was heading for the cross with all the arrows on the map to head towards Kanturk.
    I was driving on snow and ice so was concentrating very hard, the phone rang in my pocket and handed it over to the passenger Denis a good friend of mine. Next thing I overheard Denis saying "You seen what? I cant understand you! Speak slowy, you see something" I caught my phone of denis junped outta the car.
    I was at point X on the map, I could see right across the deep valley and over to see the lights of Daves car at point 4. Dave was panting, I said speak slowly. Then he said "I have just seen it again" I wa slike you seen what. He goes "I seen the myterious fella"
    I could see him reversing fairly fast whils on the phone and turning left. Then he said "I was driving down grand and next thing I seen that same fella we both seen in the same clothes standing to the right but about 10metres away from me and you know what Mark, that road had pure unspoilt snow on it and there was no footprints"
    I totally freaked, couldnt talk. Then I said I know the snow was unspoilt cos we were at the top of your road up at the carpark, you were the first car down there all day and this evening, you were the first to spoil the flat snow and I goes I know for a fact there was no footprints going down towards your house either.

That night was a Sunday night aswel the night of the snow and the thing was seen at the same time we first seen him two months previously.
    For weeks after I was searching through the internet to find out things about the area that might be connected, notthing came up. Then Dave said it to his uncle and he said there was a mass rock up in the exact area where we seen him the three times the forst night.

Before the whole incident we were both the type that did and didnt believe in the paranormal. That night changed our lifes! Will never forget it, can remember it as it was yesterday.
    Then last Sunday myself and Rob trebor went to Kilgarvan/Kenmare to the rally. Then the Kilgarvan trip came to mind and told him the story. He came back to my house, and I said come on we go for a spin- I remembered it was around the same time as last year that we seen him. And honestly I wasnted to see him again.
    I like to find out how and why things happen but I think we'll never find the answer to this, it will always be a mystery. We seen notthing last Sunday as I think we were too early it was around eight when we drove up and down the road slowly.

Its a real freaky story, sounds like aload off bull**** but if you want I can give you Daves number and you can ask him. He'll say its true. Hope you enjoyed reading and didnt fall asleep half way through it.. :lol:

Heres the map.
    http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii191/mark-dennehy/Ghoststory.jpg

If The link dont work or you have questions reply to me on this address and I'll sort em for you.

Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

Thanks for that, Mark.

I don't know what to make of it really, except this is something that yourself and your friend believe you witnessed.

Did you ever speak to anyone else living in the area about whether they had ever seen that bloke in the beige coat on the side of the road too?

It's funny how yer man had no flashlight or light-reflecting clothes at that time of night. Also weird how his clothes showed no sign of dampness despite the rain. Even weirder that he kept turning his back to yourselves instead of facing you. Even weirder still that your mate couldn't even make out his left ear from the side view of him.

Well, my advice (if you even want it, that is) is to ask around locally to see if others have seen the same fella/thing, and to keep a camera or a camcorder handy in the car in case you encounter him along that stretch of road again. Try to nab a photo or some footage of him and upload it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭trixie_belle12

I'm not discounting what you feel/felt on the grounds - I'm just saying that the first port of call when it comes to fear is the more earthly matter of local scumbags being around there.

Now, I have never set foot inside either Our Lady's Hospital or St. Kevin's, but I have walked on the grounds surrounding each building and I have also definitely felt a very dark, suffocating, hopeless sort of atmosphere attached to both places. Funnily enough, this was noticeably more so the case around St. Kevin's, whatever it is about that place compared to the grey buildings (Our Lady's).

I have been regaled with numerous stories by people who were inside both buildings both by day and by night, and who experienced creepy and unsettling sensations; and by people who knew other people who were inside the buildings and who experienced same, etc. People have either thought they saw apparitions moving through the walls, 'felt' unseen people, heard voices when they had already ensured the building was devoid of other (living) visitors, and heard unexplainable human-sounding footsteps, etc. I also heard about one guy suddenly feeling unbearably ill while situated on one of the upper floors of St. Kevin's during the daytime, necessitating an immediate fleet. The guy who was accompanying him said that his friend had been upbeat and in fighting form prior to entering the building.

There was another story about some building developers who visited the St. Kevin's site a few years ago to assess its suitability for a conversion project they had in mind (conversion into a hotel, I think - Christ, can you imagine?). But, after the team walked around the site, the leader of the project was so spooked by the place he declared that there was no way he ever wanted to convert the building. That's what I heard anyway.

There is definitely something askew up there. It wouldn't be a bad idea to dig up the grounds surrounding the St. Kevin's building - particularly around the back of it, near where that brown, derelict priests building is standing. They may be surprised what they find.

Ah yeah, fair point, I haven't been up there for quite a bit of time now seems likely that it's difficult enough to wander around there without raising some level of suspicion and no doubt there are many 'undesirables' lurking in corners aplenty

The Good Shepherd Convent is another place that makes me nervous, not that you can set foot in it nowadays anyway but again growing up we spent time up there having a right oul nose around the place. I was never in the building nor did I ever visit the room of the 'miraculous Little Nelly' but the grounds themselves seemed to be full of foreboding and an unpleasant energy.

Thanks for that, Mark.

I don't know what to make of it really, except this is something that yourself and your friend believe you witnessed.

Did you ever speak to anyone else living in the area about whether they had ever seen that bloke in the beige coat on the side of the road too?

It's funny how yer man had no flashlight or light-reflecting clothes at that time of night. Also weird how his clothes showed no sign of dampness despite the rain. Even weirder that he kept turning his back to yourselves instead of facing you. Even weirder still that your mate couldn't even make out his left ear from the side view of him.

Well, my advice (if you even want it, that is) is to ask around locally to see if others have seen the same fella/thing, and to keep a camera or a camcorder handy in the car in case you encounter him along that stretch of road again. Try to nab a photo or some footage of him and upload it here.

We have asked around (asked the very few people that live in this densely populated area) if they knew anything. But no info at all! No info on the world famous google either.

Only thing we do know is where we seen him there is a mass rock not more then quarter of a mile away. When the mate seen him in thge snow he was next to the gate to the mass rock :confused: Will never forget the day for as long as I live.

I have a picture on my phone of a ghost captured on camera in a hole dug in a house during construction work. I would put it up here but I cant as my phone wont leave me. So would someone who could put it up PM me and I'll send it to them no prob. Its very good and good story attached to it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

I go out to Rylane, Nad region a bit, it is spooky, what with the miraculous well and the bizarre "park" ~ we can't stop for nookie anywhere but some guy, who has obviously been tracking us, and from the above post about the fellow dry in the rain, I am more aware of this now, but everytime I wanted to get romantic with me missus, some guy drives up, looks in, and says, "sorry" and leaves.

Now, that's spooky. And now I KNOW why!

gbee wrote: »
    I go out to Rylane, Nad region a bit, it is spooky, what with the miraculous well and the bizarre "park" ~ we can't stop for nookie anywhere but some guy, who has obviously been tracking us, and from the above post about the fellow dry in the rain, I am more aware of this now, but everytime I wanted to get romantic with me missus, some guy drives up, looks in, and says, "sorry" and leaves.

Now, that's spooky. And now I KNOW why!

Are you on about the car park at St Johns well/The country park entrance (Johns well is known to be a dogging spot) or the car park at the top of the hill coming out of Rylane? At the foot of Mushra? The car park Im on about is in the map ive drawn up in my above post is a good few miles away from Johns well country park..
    In this car park my mate whom was driving the car the night we seen the manifestation/ghost/weird thing said he approached this car park one nite and seen an outline of a shadow.. Was solid out but no colour..

MarkD. wrote: »
    Are you on about the car park at St Johns well/The country park entrance (Johns well is known to be a dogging spot) ...... a good few miles away from Johns well country park..

A good few miles? How many, I'd say no more than seven.

Anyway, don't know how St. John's in a 'dogging' spot, last time I was there, a convoy of cars arrived ... and ironically this specific time, we were not there for nookie.

But the area is small, by my standards "a good few miles" is from Cork to Youghal. Not the "Country Park" around the corner to St. John's Well.

erm, about what time is St. John's a 'dogging spot' ~ but it's too spooky for me anyway, but just in case I might get over that and was in amorous mood, and in the area, ........... OH but you're talking about the night-time ...

No, actually the whole area is spooky, as you mentioned, it's probably because so many are looking for something.

Otherwise, I find the whole Nad area erotic, we even saved a lamb from a fallen gate once, felt sad eating meat later, but that's life.

We're usually there in daylight ... don't ask ...

A good few miles? How many, I'd say no more than seven.

Anyway, don't know how St. John's in a 'dogging' spot, last time I was there, a convoy of cars arrived ... and ironically this specific time, we were not there for nookie.

But the area is small, by my standards "a good few miles" is from Cork to Youghal. Not the "Country Park" around the corner to St. John's Well.

No offence meant by the dogging spot, just highligting a local rumour
    Sorry my bad use of language. What I meant by a good few miles was about 5 to7 miles to the area where the incident we seen the weird thing.
    Go down the hill from the well about a mile, go right at the cross and head towards Rylane, serious view off your left side then you come to another small car park and a left turn (bout 5miles roughly from the last cross) Down that road is where my story took place.
    PM me if you want as I want to keep chit chat of this thread

• Advertisement

MarkD.

Thanks for the story. Next time, if you see a red Terrano acting suspiciously, it's me and the missus. :)

tbh, as well as a good story, knowing the area, but obviously not as well as you, I believe you.

Sorry my bad use of language. What I meant by a good few miles was about 5 to7 miles to the area where the incident we seen the weird thing.

Thanks, I've gotten a lot of directions from country folk over the years, love the area.

Sorry to have taken you to task over the mileage, but you do say you go to Kanturk, maybe 20 miles away and you dismiss this as a journey of familiariseation, having even gone further afield, and you consider 7 miles, a "good few miles" away.

See my point.

Thanks, I've gotten a lot of directions from country folk over the years, love the area.

Sorry to have taken you to task over the mileage, but you do say you go to Kanturk, maybe 20 miles away and you dismiss this as a journey of familiariseation, having even gone further afield, and you consider 7 miles, a "good few miles" away.

See my point.

Ya I see your point, sound for pointing it out:)

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭AI

Not exactly haunted but my exhibition 'Abandoned Ireland' opens at Cork Vision Centre, North Main Street on Saturday 30th October and its totally free.

If you're interested in spooky ruins then I'd recommend taking a peek.

http://www.abandonedireland.com/Exhibition.html
    http://www.corkvisioncentre.com/corkvisioncentre/Main/2010November.htm

I must remember this and make sure I pop in. :)

Ah Well wrote: »

Re the Black Dog... I have heard that one before admittedly but it was to be seen at a different location which is very much these days within the boundaries of the present Coachford village = very close to the Village Centre itself

Surely that Black Dog thing is a myth? Or just a massive, oversized Rottweiller?

[...]
    Just one thing before I go on, Ive read all this thread and dissappointed that more people dont have stories of St Kevins aka what they heard from others that they have seen there. Eerie experiences are one thing but witnessing and seeing things is what makes a great story.

What stories do you have about that place? I can only go by what people have told me. No way would I set foot inside it. One, the place is falling apart. Two - too many gobsheens up there. Three - unmarked police cars comb the place often. But walkin around it is spooky alright.

[...] The Good Shepherd Convent is another place that makes me nervous, not that you can set foot in it nowadays anyway but again growing up we spent time up there having a right oul nose around the place. I was never in the building nor did I ever visit the room of the 'miraculous Little Nelly' but the grounds themselves seemed to be full of foreboding and an unpleasant energy.

Where is that place? I never heard of it. Is that a school or what?

Is Little Nelly an actual person or an apparition or something?

Little Nelly was a very sick child who professed a huge belief in God and was given special permission to be have the sacraments, First Holy Communion was only given to children at 12 years of age at the time, Little Nelly was five [or 6 ~ I'll look it up] and she died happy to have received the body of Christ Her God.

She was buried in the Ground of the Good Sheppard Convent and on exhumation to move her, her body was found to be in-corrupt. Some will argue that it was the chemicals and medical combination that she was on that caused this effect, however, you won't move religious people on her being a Saint.

Little Nelly was a very sick child who professed a huge belief in God and was given special permission to be have the sacraments, First Holy Communion was only given to children at 12 years of age at the time, Little Nelly was five [or 6 ~ I'll look it up] and she died happy to have received the body of Christ Her God.

She was buried in the Ground of the Good Sheppard Convent and on exhumation to move her, her body was found to be in-corrupt. Some will argue that it was the chemicals and medical combination that she was on that caused this effect, however, you won't move religious people on her being a Saint.

So she's a child saint.Okay. But what was she doing in a convent at that age? What killed her?

No offense to Nelly now, but any sick child - when all other conventional routes have failed to help them - could start raving on about how they really believe in God and think he's great altogether when those beliefs have already been belted into them (she was in a convent, like). A child would obviously be scared that their body is shutting down and would look to God for help because that's what the child has been told repeatedly by priests, nuns, etc.

Then they die (as unfortunate as it is) and they get a sainthood for their troubles. Jesus, that's all it takes to get a sainthood?

• Advertisement

gbee has filled in most of the blanks there, many of my friends from the area would have visited her room when they were kids but I didn't know about it until later when it was no longer opened to the public.

the convent is situated nearly directly beside the Cork City Gaol in Sunday's Well. If I remember correctly it was or nearly was purchased by UCC at one stage but was never developed and then a fire destroyed alot of the internals at which point access to the land was completely shut off.

A friend of mine used to live in the gate lodge of the grounds. Her mother had been (again this is what I can remember) had been raised or spent time in the convent (not too sure on the details) and the nuns had given her and her husband a present of the gatelodge as their home to be. They went on to have several children, my friend included, however when the sale to UCC went through they were evicted and to my knowledge it has been uninhabited since. That must have been 12-15 years ago.

I'll be off to the Ghost Convention tomorrow night, the White Witch will be there I understand, should be interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭AI

Abandoned Ireland exhibition installed in Cork Vision Centre on North Main Street today. It opens to the public tomorrow. Those who get to see it are in for a treat.

p.s RTE are running a documentary on Abandoned Ireland on Monday 1st November 7pm on RTE1 Nationwide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

i lived next to the Good Shepard for several months before, but only once did we hop the gate to go in, few drinkers, homeless etc would often be in there, place was a wreck, its a huge building but thanks to the locals previously objecting to any plans to use the building it got wrecked by vandals, i was living next to it when it was on fire, that caused huge structural damage, (hope the residents are happy now).

its a creepy spot all right...

I'll be off to the Ghost Convention tomorrow night, the White Witch will be there I understand, should be interesting

Am down in Cork for the weekend. Woo hoo! :D I was up at the Convention last night. Great turnout (100-150 people?) and buzz. The White Witch was A HOOT. Jesus man, she was on about some 'Ghosts Of Misdirection' during her talk on fate and she referred to those ghosts as "a shower of bastards"! People were in stitches and I was no different. She seems to say the first thing that enters her head. Legend. :D

In fairness she was chatting away to randomers and posing for photos with them and all. Shes a gas case. Paul O' Halloran's talk was very good too. He talked a lot about geopathic stress on land and about 'soul retrieval', where he connects with and heals ancestral spirits that are harming latter day spirits. Very interesting. Nice guy.

charlemont wrote: »
    i lived next to the Good Shepard for several months before, but only once did we hop the gate to go in, few drinkers, homeless etc would often be in there, place was a wreck, its a huge building but thanks to the locals previously objecting to any plans to use the building it got wrecked by vandals, i was living next to it when it was on fire, that caused huge structural damage, (hope the residents are happy now).

its a creepy spot all right...

I take it must have been arson - or plain recklessness maybe - that caused that fire so?

I tell ya, the drunks and homeless aren't very discerning in their choice of dwelling. They'd go anywhere, regardless of how spooky and decrepit it is. St. Kevin's is another favourite, I gather. I'm sure that convent is the same place where they discovered 30-odd bodies of women when they were digging it up for possible development years ago. Yeah, it must be lovely jubbly to be squatting in a place that was essentially a feckin graveyard. Sick.

Am down in Cork for the weekend. Woo hoo! :D I was up at the Convention last night. Great turnout (100-150 people?) and buzz. The White Witch was A HOOT. Jesus man, she was on about some 'Ghosts Of Misdirection' during her talk on fate and she referred to those ghosts as "a shower of bastards"! People were in stitches and I was no different. She seems to say the first thing that enters her head. Legend. :D

In fairness she was chatting away to randomers and posing for photos with them and all. Shes a gas case. Paul O' Halloran's talk was very good too. He talked a lot about geopathic stress on land and about 'soul retrieval', where he connects with and heals ancestral spirits that are harming latter day spirits. Very interesting. Nice guy.

Ya, it was my first time going to the ghost convention and probably my last if i'm honest. No disrespect to the organisers or the speakers but it just wasn't as interesting as I thought it would be.

The exception of the night was Paul O'Halloran though, agree with you there. I could have listened to him all night, very interesting guy!!

Helen Barrett is most definitely off her game :D

Ya, it was my first time going to the ghost convention and probably my last if i'm honest. No disrespect to the organisers or the speakers but it just wasn't as interesting as I thought it would be.

I get what you're saying. There was a bloke sitting next to me who made very grand gestures and noises of being bored, and who was nowhere to be seen during the second half. It was my first time at the thing as well, and I nearly nodded off during the talks by the first blonde lady (Professor Humphreys?), the Dutch angel healer woman and the girl talking about fairies in folklore (Jesus, that was like a verbal anaesthetic).

I only perked up and became interested when Paul O' Halloran and the White Witch gave their respective talks.
    The exception of the night was Paul O'Halloran though, agree with you there. I could have listened to him all night, very interesting guy!!

Ideally, they should have ditched the fairy folklore speaker and added her speaking (and my snoozing) time to Paul's allocated slot instead. I would have preferred to have heard him speaking longer because he had great energy, seemed to be really into his work and had loads of interesting stories. I had no idea he was once in the Irish Army for eight years and that it was a Near Death Experience he had out in The Lebanon that got him into shamanism. I had just thought he was some 'sensitive' bloke who took it up out of pedestrian-level interest. Great man. Very likeable person.

I think the word 'eccentric' was coined for her especially, but I'd say she's no eejit either. She 'leads' about 25,000 witches worldwide, like. I don't know if I heard this right now, but I'm sure she said she was a nurse when she was in her 20s. It was the part where she was going on about some girl working on the same ward as her who was bullying her at the time (Helen hates bullying, as she stated adamently). Her bedside manner must have been delightful. :D

I get what you're saying. There was a bloke sitting next to me who made very grand gestures and noises of being bored, and who was nowhere to be seen during the second half. It was my first time at the thing as well, and I nearly nodded off during the talks by the first blonde lady (Professor Humphreys?), the Dutch angel healer woman and the girl talking about fairies in folklore (Jesus, that was like a verbal anaesthetic).

I only perked up and became interested when Paul O' Halloran and the White Witch gave their respective talks.

Ideally, they should have ditched the fairy folklore speaker and added her speaking (and my snoozing) time to Paul's allocated slot instead. I would have preferred to have heard him speaking longer because he had great energy, seemed to be really into his work and had loads of interesting stories. I had no idea he was once in the Irish Army for eight years and that it was a Near Death Experience he had out in The Lebanon that got him into shamanism. I had just thought he was some 'sensitive' bloke who took it up out of pedestrian-level interest. Great man. Very likeable person.

I think the word 'eccentric' was coined for her especially, but I'd say she's no eejit either. She 'leads' about 25,000 witches worldwide, like. I don't know if I heard this right now, but I'm sure she said she was a nurse when she was in her 20s. It was the part where she was going on about some girl working on the same ward as her who was bullying her at the time (Helen hates bullying, as she stated adamently). Her bedside manner must have been delightful. :D

Btw, I reckon it was very strategic on the organisers' part to put the White Witch on stage last, because most people would probably be coming to see her. It's a good way of preventing people from fecking off to the pub instead out of boredom.

But O' Halloran was definitely an unexpectedly pleasant surprise.

• Advertisement

Her bedside manner must have been delightful. :D

"Don't bother with that nasty medicine the doctor gave you" "Have this eye of newt instead!" He he eheeeee! :)

Advertisement