Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

midget bites?

• 02-06-2009 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭

Just a quick question if any can help shed some light on midget bites....
    Spent the long weekend camping in Roundstone, there were loads of midgets about the place on the Saturday night.
    My 7 year was eaten alive by them (counted about 100 bites especially about this head) whereas his brothers and sisters only had about 5-10 on them.....
    Why do they make mince meat out of one person whilst hardly affecting others?
    I've heard all sorts about this from other people
    *they go for people with sweet blood
    *they are attracted to people with some deficiency (vitamin?)

Not looking for advice on how to treat the bites, have been to the chemist and have gotten anthisan and cortopin to put on them but would love to know why he is bitten so extensively in comparison to his siblings?

I got bitten much worse as well and to be honest I don't want to subject the young lad to this torture again over the summer as we were thinking of trying to camp out a few times especially if we get the summer we are promised....

Also, would ye know of anything to do to reduce his risk of them biting i.e. products?

Would really appreciate any input on this as have tried googling it but just finding joke sites about midgets <short people> and nothing about insect bites
    Thanks guys....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,043 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I drink plenty of milk and i've never had a problem with bites or midgets wherever i've been, just an observation, I doubt any doctor would agree..

• Registered Users Posts: 21,405 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Would really appreciate any input on this as have tried googling it but just finding joke sites about midgets <short people> and nothing about insect bites.
    That would be because they're called midges and not midgets :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Alun wrote: »
    That would be because they're called midges and not midgets :rolleyes:

Thanks Alun, your a star.
    Just googled midges instead of midgets and there is loads of info on why they are attracted to some people over others.
    Plenty of advice as well about how to make up some home remedies to protect the little one from them.
    Really helped, thanks again.....:)

No problem .. I'd never heard them called 'midgets' until I arrived in Ireland, and thought it was people having a joke, but soon realized they actually meant it :)

Anyway, as an ardent hillwalker I'm plagued by the things regularly. What I do is use citronella oil and dab it (literally only a few drops!) on the brim of my sun hat and on the shoulder straps of my rucksack. That creates a nice lemony scent as I walk along and seems to keep them at bay. When you stop it's less effective, but still helps a bit. Don't put it neat on your skin BTW, it's very strong and might burn or cause an allergic reaction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

ya i know they're short but i dont think bite.

• Advertisement

No problem .. I'd never heard them called 'midgets' until I arrived in Ireland, and thought it was people having a joke, but soon realized they actually meant it :)

Anyway, as an ardent hillwalker I'm plagued by the things regularly. What I do is use citronella oil and dab it (literally only a few drops!) on the brim of my sun hat and on the shoulder straps of my rucksack. That creates a nice lemony scent as I walk along and seems to keep them at bay. When you stop it's less effective, but still helps a bit. Don't put it neat on your skin BTW, it's very strong and might burn or cause an allergic reaction.

Been reading on the net about making a mix of johnson's baby oil, and dettol (70:30 mix) so will try that particular one and will add in a few drops of citronella oil.
    Hopefully that will do the trick:)
    Honest to god, myself and the young lad were driven to distraction by them, we nearly pulled the bloody heads off ourselves........
    We must have given some people a right laugh looking at us running around the campsite like demented fools:D
    My brother was camping nearby in Oughterard and he never even made it out of his car as they were attacking him so badly...... He packed up the next morning and drove back home....

ya i know they're short but i dont think bite.

I would have preferred to have been fighting real midgets
    At least you'd throw them one good punch and they'd leave ya alone:D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I heard they only go after certain blood types, although I just heard this off some of my friends (not always a reliable source).

They don't usually bite me and I'm O+ Blood Type

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

i go fishing a lot so get plagues by them - one thing i noticed is they will fly past the area of DEET and find the smallest patch you missed and sting you there. I spray the stuff on me like deodrant (chest and legs - even when wearing loads of layers) because they will get you EVERYWHERE.

Hate them.

Don't know about blood group - I'm O+ and get eaten by them!

I think part of it is the host response - some people have a big histamine response to the bites and get lots of itchy welts. Some people don't have the same antigen response and so no reaction = no itch.

Yeah, I also heard about them going for particular blood types. I'm O neg and they make a meal out of me !!!!!
    I agree that it has to be linked to the body's histamine response, I suffer some type of allergy ( haven't been able to pin it down yet).......might actually be a topic for another thread <hormonal rhinitis>......Will go into that particular tale at some other stage
    Where can you get deet and what is the situation regarding it's use on a 7 year old?
    Would love to camp again over the summer but am really against putting the young lad through the experience again, the poor thing:)

• Advertisement

DEET is an ingredient in many insect repellants. See the list of contents for how much is in there. Apparently (according to someone I know who swears by it and travels to countries where they have much worse than just midge(t)s) Boots own brand is pretty good and contains 50% DEET. Some 'extreme' products contain up to 95% of the stuff. Lidl had some recently that contains 30% DEET, they may have some left at your local Lidl, mine (in Greystones) does. Don't know what the deal is regarding young kids using it unfortunately.

DEET is an ingredient in many insect repellants. See the list of contents for how much is in there. Apparently (according to someone I know who swears by it and travels to countries where they have much worse than just midge(t)s) Boots own brand is pretty good and contains 50% DEET. Some 'extreme' products contain up to 95% of the stuff. Lidl had some recently that contains 30% DEET, they may have some left at your local Lidl, mine (in Greystones) does. Don't know what the deal is regarding young kids using it unfortunately.

Good stuff alun, will definitely check that out.
    Thanks again for the sound info:)

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Amnesiac_ie

I hate, hate, HATE the taste of DEET when it gets in my mouth but I react pretty severely to any insect bites so DEET is my foul tasting friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

Irish midges have nothing on their Scottish relatives. Bloodthirsty monsters, they are.

Last year, when I was at a retreat in the Highlands, they offered us some neem capsules to take, which did appear to work quite well, although they take a day or two. And they taste absolutely horrible - small price to pay, though!

Pet wrote: »
    Irish midges have nothing on their Scottish relatives. Bloodthirsty monsters, they are.

Last year, when I was at a retreat in the Highlands, they offered us some neem capsules to take, which did appear to work quite well, although they take a day or two. And they taste absolutely horrible - small price to pay, though!

I have come across them whilst reading and they do sound particularly nasty:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

DrIndy wrote: »
    i go fishing a lot so get plagues by them - one thing i noticed is they will fly past the area of DEET and find the smallest patch you missed and sting you there. I spray the stuff on me like deodrant (chest and legs - even when wearing loads of layers) because they will get you EVERYWHERE.

I never had this problem in Ireland with midgets (YES that's what I call them! :) ), but in France I get eaten alive by mosquitos. I use citronella spray which works well if I cover every cm2 of skin. They can always find the bare patches. Also nobody close to me gets stung, they are all so busy feasting on me. I also get bad reactions.

I have read that vitamin B1 and /or garlic capsuls taken daily can repel them, maybe this would work for midgets too?

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭twincamman

where can i buy these spray on fly repellents

• Registered Users Posts: 14,905 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The best stuff for Mozzies and Midges is from Avon and is called Skin so soft.
    Laugh all you want but this stuff is famous for its repellent properties.
    Deet is effective if applied all over but is pretty nasty stuff, ever see what it does to plastic?
    The skin so soft has a high concentration of citronella oil and some other greasy stuff that insects don't like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Hi OP,

Not sure if this will help you or not.....

.....Iv been to Lebanon, Liberia and Chad, spent 6 months in each place in the heat with the midgeys and got eaten alive most of the time, they love the ankles!! Ive used most of the repellents on the market 100% DEET is very effective but the best deterrent iv found is...

...spread a very very thin amount of Deep Heat on the exposed skin, this will stop them biting, they will still land alright but they will buzz off fairly quickly! Although, you dont want to stink of Deep Heat whilst being on holliers.

You could also try a thin layer of Vaseline also, heard this does the trick.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Cul a cnoic

CJhaughey wrote: »
    The best stuff for Mozzies and Midges is from Avon and is called Skin so soft.
    Laugh all you want but this stuff is famous for its repellent properties.
    Deet is effective if applied all over but is pretty nasty stuff, ever see what it does to plastic?
    The skin so soft has a high concentration of citronella oil and some other greasy stuff that insects don't like.

Talking to a neighbour last week and the midges were mad, I was busy ducking and diving during the conversation but the lumps were appearing everywhere. He then told me about the Avon as he has been using it for years so I ordered 3 bottles on Ebay and today they were delivered. So now I am ready to tackle outside again.

My answer to why I suffer so much, "they prefer the Purebred Stock".

Below is an extract of the ad for the Avon Skin So Soft on Ebay.

This product has been mentioned in the Daily Telegraph Newspaper.......extracts below. (Copyrights negotiated)
    Burning citronella will help to deter midges, but those in the know, including the Royal Marines guarding the Nuclear Base at Faslane on Scotland's West Coast, call on an unexpected source for all their midge needs: - AVON!
    The Cosmetic company's Skin So Soft range does more than guarantee velvety-soft upper arms after a bath: its also a powerful midge repellent. The Soft & Fresh Dry Oil Body Spray provides an oily protective layer so effective that the soldiers buy it in bulk.
    "Obviously we don't market our product as a midge-repellent, but its reputation has spread by word of mouth," says Lydia Durkan of Avon. "We know that film crews use it alot when they are up in Scotland and Mel Gibson used it when he was making Braveheart here. We're very pleased that its proving so popular".
    The perfect accompaniment to your skincare regime. Its perfect for use at home & in the garden and to deter midges when on holiday, fishing, hunting, evening strolls etc. It has many uses......i have even heard of people using it to deter midges from pets & horses!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

Just a quick question if any can help shed some light on midget bites....
    Spent the long weekend camping in Roundstone, there were loads of midgets about the place on the Saturday night.
    My 7 year was eaten alive by them (counted about 100 bites especially about this head) whereas his brothers and sisters only had about 5-10 on them.....
    Why do they make mince meat out of one person whilst hardly affecting others?
    I've heard all sorts about this from other people
    *they go for people with sweet blood
    *they are attracted to people with some deficiency (vitamin?)

Not looking for advice on how to treat the bites, have been to the chemist and have gotten anthisan and cortopin to put on them but would love to know why he is bitten so extensively in comparison to his siblings?

I got bitten much worse as well and to be honest I don't want to subject the young lad to this torture again over the summer as we were thinking of trying to camp out a few times especially if we get the summer we are promised....

Also, would ye know of anything to do to reduce his risk of them biting i.e. products?

Would really appreciate any input on this as have tried googling it but just finding joke sites about midgets <short people> and nothing about insect bites
    Thanks guys....

Hi OP

did you ever get to the bottom of this problem
    ie why are the midges biting your 7 year old more than the others.
    I have a 3 year old who is suffering the very same at the moment, the midges are concentrating their efforts on her more that the other children and she really gets chewed up the poor thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭carnsoreboxer

DH and me are both allergic to bites and are being eaten alive this year by both Midges and Horseflies. I cannot stress how good this Avon stuff is, I too got the 3 bottles on ebay the Marines swear by it.

Very scary though when you look at what else this stuff does, but I don't care no more lumps infections etc yippee
    Talking to a neighbour last week and the midges were mad, I was busy ducking and diving during the conversation but the lumps were appearing everywhere. He then told me about the Avon as he has been using it for years so I ordered 3 bottles on Ebay and today they were delivered. So now I am ready to tackle outside again.

My answer to why I suffer so much, "they prefer the Purebred Stock".

Below is an extract of the ad for the Avon Skin So Soft on Ebay.

This product has been mentioned in the Daily Telegraph Newspaper.......extracts below. (Copyrights negotiated)
    Burning citronella will help to deter midges, but those in the know, including the Royal Marines guarding the Nuclear Base at Faslane on Scotland's West Coast, call on an unexpected source for all their midge needs: - AVON!
    The Cosmetic company's Skin So Soft range does more than guarantee velvety-soft upper arms after a bath: its also a powerful midge repellent. The Soft & Fresh Dry Oil Body Spray provides an oily protective layer so effective that the soldiers buy it in bulk.
    "Obviously we don't market our product as a midge-repellent, but its reputation has spread by word of mouth," says Lydia Durkan of Avon. "We know that film crews use it alot when they are up in Scotland and Mel Gibson used it when he was making Braveheart here. We're very pleased that its proving so popular".
    The perfect accompaniment to your skincare regime. Its perfect for use at home & in the garden and to deter midges when on holiday, fishing, hunting, evening strolls etc. It has many uses......i have even heard of people using it to deter midges from pets & horses!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i've read that eating certain foods will attract them to you (bananas were mentioned) and that people who say they 'don't get bitten' generally do, but don't react to the anticoagulants and anaesthetics in midge/mosquito saliva like people who come out in lumps do so there is no visual evidence they've been bitten making them assume that they haven't been since you usually don't see them.

i sometimes get bitten and sometimes not, i just never know how it's going to go but my wife is normally plagued by them wherever we go, be it out in the country in Ireland camping, or out to the maldives or thailand (or wherever) on holiday.

we got a mosquito repellent watch off ebay, but the high pitched squeal it emits is almost unbearable so we never actually used it.

i'd recommend the boots deet spray for effectiveness, or the jungle forumla one that you can get on ebay etc.) but I also know how toxic deet is (google it) and how horrible it is to put on, so its hard to recommend it to kids, particularly if you miss a tiny bit of exposed skin as they'll still get you anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

I have read that vitamin B1 and /or garlic capsuls taken daily can repel them, maybe this would work for midgets too?

There was a huge craze for Vit B1 tabs a few years ago, for this reason. It's complete tosh, I'm afraid. Vit B1 has no effect whatsoever on biting rates.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

There was a huge craze for Vit B1 tabs a few years ago, for this reason. It's complete tosh, I'm afraid. Vit B1 has no effect whatsoever on biting rates.

I saw some one today who swore by it....

I've never seen any convincing proof either

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Out of interest there seems to be a surge in a tick bourne infection called Lyme disease this year.

http://www.irishhealth.com/article.html?id=17601

People who take part in outdoor pursuits are being warned to protect themselves against Lyme disease, which is spread by tick bites.
    Lyme disease is generally mild, affecting only the skin. However in a minority of cases, it can be more serious, causing severe and debilitating heart and nervous system disease.
    According to the Health Protection Surveillance Centre (HPSC), as people are more likely to engage in outdoor pursuits in the summer months, ramblers, campers, mountain bikers and others who work and walk in forested or grassy areas are being urged to be vigilant against tick bites.
    "Ticks are tiny insect like creatures that feed on the blood of mammals and birds and will also feed on humans. Ticks are more numerous and more active in the summer months and protecting against tick bites protects against Lyme disease," explained HPSC public health specialist, Dr Paul McKeown.
    Tick bites can be prevented by:
    -Wearing long trousers, long sleeved shirt and shoes.
    -Using an insect repellent.
    -Checking skin, hair and warm skin folds (especially the neck and scalp of children) for ticks after a day out.
    -Removing any ticks and consulting with a GP if symptoms develop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

This is something to be considerably more concerned about. Midge bites are only a nuisance compared to that.

Of note - I get urticaria from the bloody bites and come up in huge lumps for days! Hate them and to make it worse, now live in north queensland!

Advertisement