Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia Lumia 800

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

I remember about 4 years ago, thinking Bluetooth was the best thing ever. I havent turned it on once on my Lumia, and I'm almost certain I never turned it on on my Optimus 7. Its funny how things change.

On that note, remember Infrared?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭TBi

DjFlin wrote: »

I use that every day. I'm so annoyed that my new phone doesn't support it... i bet android does. All my friends transfer files via infrared. Any phone that doesn't support infrared transfer sucks!

I use bluetooth all the time though for the car, if infrared worked from my pocket i'd never use bluetooth.

On a real topic... anyone have any news on white lumia 800 simfree?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭moby2101

Thanks guys..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

It's not on amazon.de It is here http://www.expansys.ie/nokia-lumia-800-white-16gb-229094/ but either sold out or hasn't come in yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

DjFlin wrote: »
    I remember about 4 years ago, thinking Bluetooth was the best thing ever. I havent turned it on once on my Lumia, and I'm almost certain I never turned it on on my Optimus 7. Its funny how things change.

A lot of things chnage in communications. Most of my files are in the cloud today. All my pics are in the SkyDrive. I send pics and files through email.

I never really used Bluetooth for file sending on my sensation. There's not much point anymore.

The only thing I still use it for is hands free in the car which I love. When I was using my sensation it was the thing I missed the most from my windows phone.

Vlingo couldn't come close to it.

• Advertisement

I saw the white lumia 800 display models yesterday and they look cheap and tacky. They have a seam down the side which means they aren't made the same as a real lumia.

Do the real while lumia's look as bad as these tacky display models?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

TBi wrote: »
    I saw the white lumia 800 display models yesterday and they look cheap and tacky. They have a seam down the side which means they aren't made the same as a real lumia.

Do the real while lumia's look as bad as these tacky display models?

Nope - no seems at all... Mine (beside me on my desk) looks outstanding if I do say so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Neffa2

Nope - no seems at all... Mine (beside me on my desk) looks outstanding if I do say so.

Is it only available in white on Meteor/eMobile in Ireland? The other networks only appear to have black.....

Yes, which is a crying shame.

You can buy pink and blue on amazon.de. They cost about €400, which is less than what you pay for a credit version here in black locked to one network so it is a good deal. They are sim-free, unbranded and will take any sim. They get here in about 2 days so not a long wait by any means. I have the pink one, I can honestly say it's absolutely stunning, the photos don't do justice to it. It comes with a free cover in pink also. Highly recommend it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭vicM

Getting over the learning curve with WP7, today herself and I couldn't figure out how to save a number when someone had sent you a text and you didn't have thier number..:-)

I have to say what a nice keyboard!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 micko2009

Wonder when it will hit Europe... Still waiting on Zune.

Would be nice to get the bulk of the issues sorted after 3 1/2 months of ownership, way too long imo...

vicM wrote: »
    today herself and I couldn't figure out how to save a number when someone had sent you a text and you didn't have thier number..:-)

Did you figure it out? Tap the number on top of the message and then click the little 'floppy disk' icon at the bottom to save.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I love how the floppy disk is still the universal logo for 'Save'. All 1.44 MB of it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

Got this phone on Monday and i have to say, i'm really enjoying it. Got it in white, but they give you a black rubber cover so makes no odds what colour it is. I'm using the rubber cover, because i opened the box upside down in the excitement of it all and dropped the phone straight on the floor so thought to myself, its a sign. I find it very easy to use too, very quick learning curve of getting your head around it.

The Maps function seems weird tho, it couldn't find exchequer street in Dublin yesterday (mind you neither could i) and it kept sending me to somewhere in wrexham, England. It may need an update or something.
    Spent a good bit of time on email, FB, Twitter and about 60 minutes or so of phone calls yesterday and by 10 pm it was crying out for a charge, that despite it being on charge all day and night the day before. That's a bit worrying. Haven't used it as much today, so maybe it was just because i was playing with it so much yesterday. I'll give it the benefit of the doubt for another couple of days, until the novelty wears off.
    App store is a bit bare too, but again, as someone pointed out, its probably at the same level apple where at this stage of their development.
    Only other issue i have is with Zune. you pretty much need the latest version of windows to use it, which is a bit daft, but i've windows 7 on the laptop at home so when i get a few minutes i'll install there.

Aside from that, its a looker of a phone, and very easy to use, very quick surfing the web and very easy to send messages. I'm going with a 9 outta 10 on this one

Fran1985 wrote: »
    Got this phone on Monday and i have to say, i'm really enjoying it. Got it in white, but they give you a black rubber cover so makes no odds what colour it is. I'm using the rubber cover, because i opened the box upside down in the excitement of it all and dropped the phone straight on the floor so thought to myself, its a sign. I find it very easy to use too, very quick learning curve of getting your head around it.

The Maps function seems weird tho, it couldn't find exchequer street in Dublin yesterday (mind you neither could i) and it kept sending me to somewhere in wrexham, England. It may need an update or something.
    Spent a good bit of time on email, FB, Twitter and about 60 minutes or so of phone calls yesterday and by 10 pm it was crying out for a charge, that despite it being on charge all day and night the day before. That's a bit worrying. Haven't used it as much today, so maybe it was just because i was playing with it so much yesterday. I'll give it the benefit of the doubt for another couple of days, until the novelty wears off.
    App store is a bit bare too, but again, as someone pointed out, its probably at the same level apple where at this stage of their development.
    Only other issue i have is with Zune. you pretty much need the latest version of windows to use it, which is a bit daft, but i've windows 7 on the laptop at home so when i get a few minutes i'll install there.

Aside from that, its a looker of a phone, and very easy to use, very quick surfing the web and very easy to send messages. I'm going with a 9 outta 10 on this one

Try downloading Nokia Maps (not the same as Nokia Drive). Might be a bit better. I've not tried it but found Bing Maps to be fairly crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

chrislad wrote: »
    Try downloading Nokia Maps (not the same as Nokia Drive). Might be a bit better. I've not tried it but found Bing Maps to be fairly crap.

Is it Nokia or bing maps that comes with it? I was using the one that they give you (not the nokia drive one) and it just wasn't helping me out at all. So gave up and then realised i knew where the place was all along

Bing Maps is the one on it. Go to the Market, and you'll see Nokia Collection. It's in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭vicM

TBi wrote: »
    Did you figure it out? Tap the number on top of the message and then click the little 'floppy disk' icon at the bottom to save.

Yes TBi, we did figure it, still when you do that you get the 'unknown number' at the top instead of directly giving you input slots, im sure there is a reason for that though

Well Nokia maps are going to be integrated into Bing maps eventually. So for now use gmaps from the marketplace or Nokia maps which I use on my titan and it works quite well :)

Bing maps at the moment are crap for search. If you have your region set to Ireland you won't even see the search function cause Bing maps support for Ireland is rubbish. Bing support for Ireland is quite rubbish even though the search is just as good as google.Wish he had the support UK does. Local scout is awesome, just not supported on this side of the pond.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Is it Nokia or bing maps that comes with it? I was using the one that they give you (not the nokia drive one) and it just wasn't helping me out at all. So gave up and then realised i knew where the place was all along

Nokia Maps should already be on your phone in your App list. I removed the bing maps tile from my start screen and replaced it with Nokia Maps which is a lot better. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭seadnamac

The Calendar tile seems to display what you have in your agenda for tomorrow and not today. Does anyone know if you can change it to display what your supposed to be doing today?

seadnamac wrote: »
    The Calendar tile seems to display what you have in your agenda for tomorrow and not today. Does anyone know if you can change it to display what your supposed to be doing today?

It should display the current event or if there is none, the next event.

As far as im aware that's the way it should be on all phones, no options to change this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭seadnamac

It should display the current event or if there is none, the next event.

As far as im aware that's the way it should be on all phones, no options to change this

I've got something in my agenda for both today and tomorrow but it's showing me tomorrows one on the tile and has since midnight. Strange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Neffa2

Hi,

Is Nokia Music on the standard Irish Lumias? Mine came from outside Ireland, it doesn't have it.....

Thanks

Neffa2 wrote: »
    Hi,

Is Nokia Music on the standard Irish Lumias? Mine came from outside Ireland, it doesn't have it.....

Thanks

Don't have it. Not on the market either.

I am using Zune on Vista on a low-range laptop, no issues with it at all so the OS might not be the reason.

The battery issue will be fixed on an upcoming update which is in some parts of the world already. Apparently it trebles the battery life and also adds more bass to the speakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Neffa2 wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks

Yes it is. This is a common problem when purchasing a phone from a different market where Nokia music is not allowed.

Simple to fix, flash on an Irish Lumia firmware :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

I forced the latest update two days ago.
    My battery is amazing now. At 7.30am today it said I had 1 Day 22 Hours left. So I turned on 3G/Data/Wifi, Battery saver off. About 2.5 hours of music, the latest episode of Walking Dead (About 50 minutes) and about an hour of gaming (Plants Vs Zombies owns my brain), 30 minutes of calls, a few dozen texts and plenty of browsing.
    After all this I'm getting "17 Hours" left.

:D

• Advertisement

AntiVirus wrote: »
    Yes it is. This is a common problem when purchasing a phone from a different market where Nokia music is not allowed.

Simple to fix, flash on an Irish Lumia firmware :)

I have the Meteor firmware, and I don't have Nokia Music. Granted, I didn't do a full market search, which I will do, but it's not in the Nokia section of the market for me.

Edit: Nope, no sign of it.

Advertisement