Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Rugby [Super 15] - General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

kmart6 wrote: »
    Meh...Marshal had jumped into him and is smaller than Weepu!

5kg's is really worthy of a "Meh"

One was back peddling and the other got deflected.

What is a "Meh" anyway???

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Meh...as in it doesn't impress me!

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Flincher

All the Super Rugby teams for the weekend here

http://planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3824_7554424,00.html

Interesting to see how O'Connor and Cipriani link up for the Rebels. Once Kurtley is back, and they move Gerrard to 13, they'll have a decent backline.

Some hopelessy average players in that 22 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,858 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

The Force will get a hiding, and the squad is weak enough as it is without the ongoing hassle of signing a fly half.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/union/13068727/force-import-stalemate/

On a positive note, got the new home shirt for my birthday yesterday and it's awesome.

51166-HME.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

It's a real pity that JOC went to Melbourne. Both places need all the help they can get with attracting folks to rugby but Perth have really supported the Force. There is currently no NRL team there so plenty of interest in a them you'd imagine after te AFL of course.

You'd like to think that a place which developed such a talent could have held onto him and further built with himself and Pocock. Is his younger brother still there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

themont85 wrote: »
    It's a real pity that JOC went to Melbourne. Both places need all the help they can get with attracting folks to rugby but Perth have really supported the Force. There is currently no NRL team there so plenty of interest in a them you'd imagine after te AFL of course.

You'd like to think that a place which developed such a talent could have held onto him and further built with himself and Pocock. Is his younger brother still there?
    Theres very little support for the Force or Union at all I've found when there. I remember when Tuqiri got banned it barely got a mention in the Western Australian.

They have the Dockers and Eagles to focus on and after that they have the WACA.

Moving out of the Subi will improve the atmosphere but they have to keep the fanbase coming now. They really need a bit of success to draw in the fanbase (ie Leinster/Munster). But given union has such a miniscule following it might take even more than that.

It was always going to be tough to support the Rebels while continuing to develop the Force. But I think the Rebels will be easier to get off the ground and then they can turn their attention back west.

Theres very little support for the Force or Union at all I've found when there. I remember when Tuqiri got banned it barely got a mention in the Western Australian.

Moving out of the Subi will improve the atmosphere but they have to keep the fanbase coming now. They really need a bit of success to draw in the fanbase (ie Leinster/Munster). But given union has such a miniscule following it might take even more than that.

It was always going to be tough to support the Rebels while continuing to develop the Force. But I think the Rebels will be easier to get off the ground and then they can turn their attention back west.

It's even worse in Melbourne though. Most don't even know there's two rugby codes there if at all Rugby. It's all about the AFL. Perth is similar but wouldn't be quite as packed up as Melbourne is. Everytime I see them on tv they seem to get decent crowds seeing as they're hockied regularly enough. In fact their attendances last year were only a small bit behind the first year Rebels in a smaller city with a diabolical team.

With no NRL team there they really have a good shot at expanding the game there.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Wexfordboy89

Nah its not him, ill get the guys name later today. I didn't know Du Toit was down there thogh, fair play to him

Think he signed for the Sharks under 21 team seems to playing with the Rotherham Titans according to one website i was looking at.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Wexfordboy89

was just reading a piece on planet rugby and it was saying that sonny bill Williams is on his way back to NRL next season.

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,16024_7553046,00.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

For god's sake Lions can't you hold onto a lead? They lose 28-30 to the Hurricanes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,858 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

The Force moved out of Subi two years ago and have pretty much filled NIB Stadium (capacity approx 20.5k) since. That stadium is getting a serious upgrade once the Super Rugby season finishes so it will be a better incentive for fans of both the Force and Perth Glory to head along to.

There is a core of hardcore Union fans in Perth that will help sustain the club so there's no fear of it dying out I don't think.

However there definitely needs to be an influx of recognised internationals like there was in the second season squad squad (Giteau and Mitchell both came in). To put it bluntly, the current squad is shite.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    The Force moved out of Subi two years ago and have pretty much filled NIB Stadium (capacity approx 20.5k) since. That stadium is getting a serious upgrade once the Super Rugby season finishes so it will be a better incentive for fans of both the Force and Perth Glory to head along to.

There is a core of hardcore Union fans in Perth that will help sustain the club so there's no fear of it dying out I don't think.

However there definitely needs to be an influx of recognised internationals like there was in the second season squad squad (Giteau and Mitchell both came in). To put it bluntly, the current squad is shite.

The Brumbies and Force have really drawn the short straw with regards to Wallabies playing for them currently. Between them they've lost Giteau, Adam Ashley Cooper, James O'Connor and Rocky Elsom. None have really being replaced.

That's the pity about JOC. The Force brought him through and developed him and now lost him when he's just coming into his prime years. That's the right way the Force went about it, not signing NRL players but blooding their own and its not exactly encouraging.

Stannard scores a good try to put the Force within 6 of the reds after 55 minutes.

26-20

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭lologram

Does the Force remind anyone else of Ireland? They commit silly numbers to the breakdown and kick away everything

Reds up by 12, two minutes to go, with three tries. Get a penalty in Force 22 and give it to Harris to kick.

Why on earth not try for the bonus point? Madness.

lologram wrote: »
    Does the Force remind anyone else of Ireland? They commit silly numbers to the breakdown and kick away everything
    Difference is they have a natural openside and nothing else, oposite of Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Winters wrote: »
    Has anyone been to a Stormers game in Newlands?

Im planning to be down there on honeymoon for the Rebels game in July (Last game of the season). Never been to a Supa 15 game so nice timing eh?

Can anyone recommend where to sit or go before the game?

Cheers

Was at the Stormers v Hurricanes game last weekend. We went to Barrister's on Main Street (corner of Kildare Road) before the game. There's a few bars and cafes beside it. Watched the Ireland game in there and headed down to the match and then back up for a few drinks after, decent crowd around it.

Try to sit in the Grandstand if you can, if you're in the Railway Stand the sun will be in your eyes so it's pretty hot and hard to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭phog

@ruckingoodstats tweeted
    Super15 refs are being measured on rucks. 70% have to be no more than 3 seconds, so refs are pen teams or say ball is out.

I've only seen a few minutes of Stormers game this evening and didn't really notice but I suppose it to keep ball in play for longer.

How does the ref say the ball is out when it's buried undar a pile of bodies, can the defending team reach in take the ball from the ruck?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Any locks (that Leinster might be in the market for) standing out so far?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Morf wrote: »
    Any locks (that Leinster might be in the market for) standing out so far?

Sykes looked good today:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

He's put in a couple of decent shifts. Carried solidly and offloaded along with bringing physicality just as he was supposed to with Leinster. I'd love to know the full story of his time in Dublin. Back home and straight into the Sharks side, starting both their games and playing well. There's a decent chance he'll get that Springboks cap yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

fullstop wrote: »
    Was at the Stormers v Hurricanes game last weekend. We went to Barrister's on Main Street (corner of Kildare Road) before the game. There's a few bars and cafes beside it. Watched the Ireland game in there and headed down to the match and then back up for a few drinks after, decent crowd around it.

Try to sit in the Grandstand if you can, if you're in the Railway Stand the sun will be in your eyes so it's pretty hot and hard to see.

You in CT permanently or just on holidays?

I've been to a few Stormers games, yet to see them win though. Last game was against the reds last season, it was their first loss in Newlands in the round robin stage, in 09 I watched them lose to the blues & in 2010 to the Brumbies, I think I will be barred soon!! There's a few of going to the Bulls game, asuming they get the tickets sorted, so get your bets down now!!

+1 on the stands, unless you're high up in the Railway, under the roof effectively but then you lose out on the view.
    I stood in the Dannie Craven end for the Lions v Emerging Boks game in 2009 and was surprised by how decent it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Round 2 tries via /r/rugbyunion

Been watching a lot of Super Rugby this year, first time to watch....

Always amazed when listening to RTE etc about how great the Super Rugby is and I thought it would be amazing. Some good stuff but to be honest I think Leinster play better rugby and also some of the French teams, nothing amazing and European teams in my opinion should not be afraid of these teams which should mean that Ireland should never be afraid to play NZ/SA/Australia

Something always sounds great when you can't watch it, but once you see it there is no magic mystery around the way they play. Full strength Leinster/Munster/Ulster team would have no problems in this league

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

endabob1 wrote: »
    You in CT permanently or just on holidays?

I've been to a few Stormers games, yet to see them win though. Last game was against the reds last season, it was their first loss in Newlands in the round robin stage, in 09 I watched them lose to the blues & in 2010 to the Brumbies, I think I will be barred soon!! There's a few of going to the Bulls game, asuming they get the tickets sorted, so get your bets down now!!

+1 on the stands, unless you're high up in the Railway, under the roof effectively but then you lose out on the view.
    I stood in the Dannie Craven end for the Lions v Emerging Boks game in 2009 and was surprised by how decent it was.

I was at that game too, shame they lost.

cipriani playing, good chance to see him, first kick charged down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Big Nelly wrote: »
    cipriani playing, good chance to see him, first kick charged down

Rebels have been really good so far. I'd imagine they'll run out of steam in the 2nd half.

danthefan wrote: »
    Rebels have been really good so far. I'd imagine they'll run out of steam in the 2nd half.

With O'Connor kicking like that I would expect so:rolleyes:

Just a quick note, all the slagging J Sexton got for missing one at France, watch that kick.........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Ref was out of his depth. Very young bloke but missed obvious infringements on both sides for simple things like knock ons and dragging the ball back on the deck. So much going on that he was too nervous to take action. Should have called them all in early doors, read them the riot act and binned the next one to act the maggot. Reds got out of jail a bit. Stupid decision making by Genia nearly cost them and a horror kick from JOC gave them a boost.

Advertisement