Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford City Event Guide

• 17-08-2008 1:45pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

There is always something happening in Waterford City. Throughout the year numerous festivals, events, gigs etc. take place in the City. So, feel free to post up any information you have in this thread (only this thread please!). Links attached to posts are also welcome for further information.

All are welcome to post in this thread with anything happening in the City!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭durrus

Between Thursday September 4th and Sunday September 7th Waterford is the host for Terra Madre Ireland, an all-island Food Conference. From a public point of view the highlights will be: An open air Slow Food Feast in the grounds of the WIT in College St from 7pm to 11pm on Friday September 5th. This will feature 9 different food courses, all using local produce, mobile bars and music by Blackwater. It's hoped up to 1100 people will attend and the event is being run 'not for profit'. Tickets cost €50 and are available from The Book Centre and Ardkeen Stores.

In addition there are also cookery demonstrations at the main WIT campus from Thursday to Saturday featuring people like Neven McGuire, Richard Corrigan, Darina Allen. These cost €15.00 for a one hour demo. On Sunday there is an All Ireland Farmers Market with about 90 stalls. It's hoped to have a giant screen in John Roberts Square to show the match as well.

More details on all the events and the full programme can be had from www.terramadreireland.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Christ Church

WIT Brass Ensemble at Christ Church Cathedral
    Saturday 6th September at 3pm (one hour concert)
    Admission Free!

The programme will include a selection of classical and light music for brass quintet and will be directed by Jonathan Bulfin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

is this not advertising!!!!!!!!!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Christ Church; Please use the Event Guide when posting up such events in future, thanks :)

robtri; Problem with a post? report.gif Report it! :)

Cheers!

ooops. Will do Sully, apologies.

Robtri - it's a free concert

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 kitten_bar

Shameless Plug #2

Starting Wed 24th Sept and running the last Wednesday of each month upstairs in Phil Grimes, Johnstown from 8pm

SQUARE - a night in, out.

Scrabble, Monopoly, Trivial Pursuit and other classic board games.

An evening of old-fashioned fun with full bar (and tea and biscuits for those so inclined) We're hoping for a mixed crowd covering all ages - everyone welcome (18-80+)) come as part of a group or on your own. We'll be grouping people for some games so it's a great chance to meet new people.

Word of the Week Competitions and spot prizes on the night.
    Free in - please support!
    Remember - it's hip to be Square. ;-)

Blurb aside - I've been wanting to run a night like this for ages - I'm a big scrabble nerd and was thinking with so many people playing on Facebook and the like there must be a market.
    If people are in to it we'll run more often than once a month but we'll start at that.
    If anyone is interested in helping out (Scrabble Referees etc) or has any extra old games lying around in the attic you can PM me.

Thank you!
    xxx Kate F

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

kitten_bar wrote: »
    Shameless Plug #2

Starting Wed 24th Sept and running the last Wednesday of each month upstairs in Phil Grimes, Johnstown from 8pm

An evening of old-fashioned fun with full bar (and tea and biscuits for those so inclined) We're hoping for a mixed crowd covering all ages - everyone welcome (18-80+)) come as part of a group or on your own. We'll be grouping people for some games so it's a great chance to meet new people.

Blurb aside - I've been wanting to run a night like this for ages - I'm a big scrabble nerd and was thinking with so many people playing on Facebook and the like there must be a market.
    If people are in to it we'll run more often than once a month but we'll start at that.
    If anyone is interested in helping out (Scrabble Referees etc) or has any extra old games lying around in the attic you can PM me.

Thank you!
    xxx Kate F

Great Idea Kate.

Fair play to ya for trying something new.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭waterfordkick

Kickboxing Waterford Sept 08.jpg

Sunday the 21st of September the Waterford Kickboxing Association will be holding a kickboxing show in the Woodlands Hotel in Waterford city. with 2 weeks to go the show is building up to be a sizzler with a WKA (World Kickboxing Organization ) European title and a WKA world title. Plus 8 supporting bouts. Fighting for the European title is Richard Beale from Wexford. He will be taking on a fighter called Claudio Moreno. Both fighters very well experienced clocking up over 20 fights each.
    Waterford's Lynne Mc Enery will be fighting for the WKA World title. Her opponent is Ana Roxo from Lisbon Portugal. This will be Lynne's final kickboxing bout.Lynne has been kickboxing for the last 20 years and is looking forward to her last time in the ring.
    Supportint bouts include local kickboxers Sean Barrett, Sean O'Neill, Joe Harte and Ian Walsh. This event kicks off 3pm Sun 21st Sept

Both title fights have been sanctioned by WKA full contact president Mr Mladen Steko.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 deisehead

How come its Lynn's last fight ?

'Wedding Bells', the exhibition of wedding photographs by Annie Brophy at Christ Church Cathedral has been extended till Saturday 4th of October (due to demand).
    Free Admission
    Mon to Fri 10am to 6pm
    Sat 10am to 4pm

• Advertisement

Hi All,

Thanks for the notes of support - just a reminder that Square (a night of board game fun) starts upstairs in Phil Grimes Pub tomorrow night (Wed 24th Sept) at 8pm

This is a FREE night and is open to all - come alone or with a group of friends.

There will be biscuits!

(Go on - you know you want to)

xxxx Kate
    <snip - No Personal Info please!>
    or join our group 'Square' on facebook.

kitten_bar wrote: »
    Shameless Plug #2

Thank you!
    xxx Kate F

I was browsing the net this morning (And I can't find the bloody page now) and I almost definitely read something about Coolio playing in Waterford in October.

Anyone seen anything about this? Or have I got confused with one of the 27 Waterfords in America...:confused:

I think I got this wrong lads...apologies...(mods may as well delete!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Anon0000

Just for anyone thats interested:
    Soul Reazon
    Friday 26th September
    Muldoons Bar
    Doors: 9pm
    Band on Stage: 10pm
    Tickets priced @ €7

Nope you didnt get it wrong at all lol
    He's playing in Oxygen on Tuesday the 7th of October
    www.-oxygen-niteclub-.bebo.com

hope that helps

i would have preferred to see him somewhere else to be honest...although I'd doubt electric avenue would have him. haha

Not really a fan of Oxygen tbh, but hey....coolio!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Elle Victorine

I thought he was dead! Can't believe he's doing a gig in Waterford. That's just hilarious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

What is hillarious about someone performing?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Will Kenan and Kel be making a cameo appearance I wonder?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

he's been playing in Limerick regularly over the last few years, well by that I mean he's been there twice in the last 4 years. one night was going to go to the particular club he was in, then found out admission was 15euro because he was playing the gig so we all decided not to go there :D

wouldn't pay 15 euro for him now

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Ill move this into the events guide now that we know who, what, when, where etc etc :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭mang

theres a new website in town called PluggedIn.ie and it has all the local stuff thats going on, reviews etc.

Wasn't there a newspaper with that as well? Looks like they were victims of the recession :(

To mark National Poetry Day, there will be a free lunchtime poetry reading at Christ Church Cathedral this Thursday (2nd October) at 1pm (45 mins)
    The featured poets are Alan Garvey, Paddy Fagan and Billy Ramsell.
    Admission is free and all are welcome :)

Two concerts on this weekend at Christ Church

Sat 4th at 8pm - Dulcet & the Penybontfawr Male Voice Choir (Wales)
    Tickets €16 / €12 concession

Sun 5th at 12 noon - Waterford Comhaltas Ceoltóirí Éireann (one hour)
    Tickets €7 / €5 / €12 for a family - includes free coffee & tea

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

There's an exhibition on in Garter Lane, photos of local bands, local bands' albums, posters and the like, and the odd band playing lunch time gigs in there, worth checking out.

Treated myself to a few hours of Deaf Animal Orchestra myself today :)

Afternoon all,

Just a quick note to say the next Square night is this Wednesday 8th Oct upstairs in Phil Grimes - 8pm

As with last time Free admission - and there's a lovely prize for word of the night.

Square - A Night In, Out - scrabble, trivial pursuit, monopoly etc. with a bar and biscuits.

Bring friends or come alone.

Thank you! (and hope to see you there)

xxx Kate

• Advertisement

Saturday 18th October at 8pm
    Waterford International Festival of Light Opera - 'Festival Favourites'
    Tickets 20 / 15 Euro from 051 855038

Sunday 19th October at 12 noon (one hour duration)
    Gabriela Mayer (piano) & Ruxandra Colan (violin)
    Tickets 7 / 5 conc / 12 Euro for a family, includes coffee & tea
    pay at the door

www.christchurchwaterford.com

Advertisement