Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Router Recommendation for Mac

• 18-04-2012 8:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,357 ✭✭✭

Asked this in the Broadband forum but got no replies and thought someone on the Mac forum could offer help.

Hoping someone could offer me one or two suggestions on a good quality stable router for Mac. UPC have upgraded my area so i'm finally getting proper fixed line broadband. I've never bought a router before and i'm a bit lost in the sea of reviews online.

I'm using a Macbook Pro and will be getting the UPC basic 20MB package. I'm looking for a fast reliable router with no known problems with either UPC or Mac, as i've read a few issues with using certain routers with UPC and Mac. Also something with a wide range around the house, i'm not sure of how the different range codes work and it's just confused me.

I know Lion on MacBooks can suffer with problems with certain routers so that's something I want to avoid. Pretty anxious to get one ASAP as I don't wanna be stuck waiting too long. Added features like NAS, and one that supports up to 100MB/s would be preferable as well as i'd like to have the option to upgrade in the future.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

Don't know anything about UPC, but if you are using Apple equipment, then you can't go far wrong with an Apple Airport Extreme.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,357 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Don't know anything about UPC, but if you are using Apple equipment, then you can't go far wrong with an Apple Airport Extreme.

I considered this but wasn't sure if they were any use or not. What is the difference between the AirPort Express Base Station and the AirPort Extreme Base Station? Are they pretty much the same thing just the Extreme supporting a few addition features?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yeah, the Express is a more compact version of the Extreme. The main difference is that it has only one Ethernet port and the USB port can't be used to connect a hard disk.

Yeah, the Express is a more compact version of the Extreme. The main difference is that it has only one Ethernet port and the USB port can't be used to connect a hard disk.

Thanks for that. I'm completely lost when it comes to this stuff. Think I might just got for the Express and save myself the headache. I have mostly Apple stuff anyways so hoping it will all work in harmony. Thanks for the help :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

If you have the dosh, get the extreme m8.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I would just point out though that Macs should work fine with any router. When they don't it's usually due to a problem with the router, or with the Mac itself in which case having an Airport won't make any difference.

I had my budget set for €100 really. I'll have a look at refurbs see if I could push for one of them. I know the router won't make much difference but I've seen problems with Lion and Wifi routers. And I usually prefer the simplicity of Apple stuff and the added support. I just hope there's no problem using it with UPC's modem. Haven't came across and threads to say they won't anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭doopa

I would just point out though that Macs should work fine with any router. When they don't it's usually due to a problem with the router, or with the Mac itself in which case having an Airport won't make any difference.

+1

Also with UPC they provide a router - if you want to use your own it will have to be set up and connected to their router meaning you'll have to have two routers on all the time. I use UPC and a mac and haven't had any issues.

doopa wrote: »
    +1

Also with UPC they provide a router - if you want to use your own it will have to be set up and connected to their router meaning you'll have to have two routers on all the time. I use UPC and a mac and haven't had any issues.

They only provide a router for 3/4 of the packages they have. Only the 25MB, 50MB and 100MB package. I'm getting the 20MB one so no router is included. I've read somewhere about incompatibility problems between the UPC modem and certain wireless routers which has me cautious. Probably settle for one or the Base Stations though.

DubDJ wrote: »
    They only provide a router for 3/4 of the packages they have. Only the 25MB, 50MB and 100MB package. I'm getting the 20MB one so no router is included. I've read somewhere about incompatibility problems between the UPC modem and certain wireless routers which has me cautious. Probably settle for one or the Base Stations though.

Ah right - didn't realise that. Well anyway, sometimes its worth phoning them up to ask for a wireless router and saying you'll commit to a longer contract or something and seeing if they'll comp you one. Worth a try in my experience.

• Advertisement

Ah right - didn't realise that. Well anyway, sometimes its worth phoning them up to ask for a wireless router and saying you'll commit to a longer contract or something and seeing if they'll comp you one. Worth a try in my experience.

To be honest I'd prefer to get my own router. Ive read quite a few threads about problems with the UPC one. Thanks for the help everyone though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

My brother is using an Airport Extreme with a UPC modem with no problems at all. He was using an Airport Express before that, also with no problems.

(Extreme providing dual 5GHz/802.11n and 2.4GHz/802.11g networks, so Express now in service extending the 801.11g network to the top floor of the house)

To be honest I'd prefer to get my own router. Ive read quite a few threads about problems with the UPC one. Thanks for the help everyone though.

Its not just that the UPC one has issues its that you can't change anything on it. That's my personal biggest gripe with it. You probably are better off getting your own one, especially if you want to do anything like set up time machine, network shares, NAS drives etc.

I personally have used Netgear in the past for routers and never had any problems with them. They do cable modem versions as well.

I had one similar to this before:
    http://www.misco.co.uk/Product/Q183998/NETGEAR-RangeMax-Wireless-N-150-DSL-Cable-Router

I really like the old netgear ones.

Type 17 wrote: »
    My brother is using an Airport Extreme with a UPC modem with no problems at all. He was using an Airport Express before that, also with no problems.

(Extreme providing dual 5GHz/802.11n and 2.4GHz/802.11g networks, so Express now in service extending the 801.11g network to the top floor of the house)

Thanks that's exactly what I was looking for. Just wanted to make sure it was compatible!
    Its not just that the UPC one has issues its that you can't change anything on it. That's my personal biggest gripe with it. You probably are better off getting your own one, especially if you want to do anything like set up time machine, network shares, NAS drives etc.

I personally have used Netgear in the past for routers and never had any problems with them. They do cable modem versions as well.

I had one similar to this before:
    http://www.misco.co.uk/Product/Q183998/NETGEAR-RangeMax-Wireless-N-150-DSL-Cable-Router

I really like the old netgear ones.

Yeah I think the main two types I've come across as recommended is Netgear and Linksys. I've seen with UPC you have to use their modem they provide. So a cable modem wouldn't be of any use unfortunately.

BTW, I've an old Airport Extreme and I'm still experiencing WiFi/sleep related problems with Lion. The issue seems to be with the MBA firmware rather than Lion itself. Hopefully Apple will get around to fixing it soon.

Thanks that's exactly what I was looking for. Just wanted to make sure it was compatible!

Yeah I think the main two types I've come across as recommended is Netgear and Linksys. I've seen with UPC you have to use their modem they provide. So a cable modem wouldn't be of any use unfortunately.

Yeah - its a real pain having to have two routers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Personally use an Airport extreme

One good thing is that you can have wireless at 5ghz..this is way above normal wireless devices so less problems from devices like tv remote controls etc

If you have the cash..go for one

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

BTW, I've an old Airport Extreme and I'm still experiencing WiFi/sleep related problems with Lion. The issue seems to be with the MBA firmware rather than Lion itself. Hopefully Apple will get around to fixing it soon.

my aul lads MBA is the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭thewing

I have the extreme and an express - i'd advocate both - i've had a number of routers over the years - linksys, belkin, netgear - the apple is the best of the lot.

Just my twopence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭Talisman

I have a 2011 MBP and experience the issue with a Time Capsule.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the replies and recommendations. I ended up going for the Airport Express. Then maybe down the line might upgrade to the extreme and use the old one as a range extender.

Had to order online as I tried PC World, Compu B and Arnotts and none of them had them in stock. Didn't even try argos because they just throw €20 on top of the price of everything Apple.

Hoping everything works in harmony thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Groinshot

For anyone in this situation, the linksys EXXXX range are pretty damn good in my experience. The E2000 is awesome, can be obtained for 100 squids in a brick n' mortar, or about 55 online, definitely worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

I have a Linksys E4200 at home and it is the business. Moved from an older model Airport Express (which now servers as an Airtunes adapter for the kitchen sound system). Hasn't skipped a beat since I got it last year. Supports 5GHZ Wireless N meaning I can transfer stuff from my NAS without dying of old age and stream HD content without enduring stuttering every few minutes.

We've got an E2000 in work and it's similarly solid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 SuperTorRainer

Dead right. The Apple Airport Extreme is fantastic. Typically with Apple it is so simple to set up, connect here, connect there and with about three clicks, not including your network name and password, it's done. It's also dual band at 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz. It is at 2.4 Ghz out of the box but I set mine to 5 and heavier websites I go to load so fast. An added plus is the option of setting up a guest network, meaning someone can use your wifi when they are at your house but they can't access photos or videos on computers on your network or whatever is on your laptop.
    I had a good working router, a D-Link but I chose to spend the high Apple price and I have no regrets. Another thing is if you have an iPod, iPad or iPhone you can use Airport Utility to do firmware upgrages etc without going on your laptop.

Can anyone confirm that they don't experience Bluetooth interference using the n range? I'm happy enough with my current Airport, but it's b/g only and my Magic Mouse becomes jittery anytime I start downloading something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭electro-shocks

Just got an airport extreme myself and have run into a few snags. Seem to be getting poor wifi strengh. Sitting in the same room and about 5 feet from the apbs and according to iStumbler i only have 40 to 50 percent signal.

As soon as I leave the room the computer and iphone drop a bar and by the time I get down stairs im on one bar. I tried changing the channesl but doesn't seem to improve things.

Anyone else had issues like this?

10 year old netopia router didn't have a problem with strength or coverage throughout the house and beyond

Suggestions:

Check that your computer and the Extreme are on the latest software (just because the Extreme is new doesn't mean it's the latest version).

In the Airport's interface on Airport Utility, check in Airport > Wireless > Wireless Network Options that the transmit power is set to 100%.

Is anyone else's Wi-Fi set to the same channel as yours - move it to a channel at least two channels away from others' networks, if possible.

Try turning off the security (temporarily), to see if this makes any difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭electro-shocks

Mac and extreme are running the latest software, I downloaded airport utility 5.6 to check if transmit power was set to 100% which it is.

Opened the network without security but didn't make a difference, broadcasting 4 channels up from the neighbors.

There isn't much noise at 13%

I will try and move the extreme to another location but I cant see it making a difference

Hmm, that's a bit strange.

The only other thing I'd try is to try the Wi-Fi on 5GHz, but it's only a case of trying it just in case.

If the Extreme is new (under warranty), I'd use the Apple website to track down telephone support and ask them what they think...

On the other hand, do your devices still seem to work ok? - you don't necessarily need a full signal for full functionality - my iPhone drops to one bar when I'm in bed (because the Airport Express is on the floor at the end of the bed, which means the signal is degraded by a load of wire mattress springs), but I don't notice a difference in surfing speeds, compared to standing at the end of the bed with a clear line of sight.

• Advertisement
Advertisement