Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it wrong to wear professional team gear..?

• 28-05-2012 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭

I bought some team gear recently because it was very cheap and it is really good quality.. but is it frowned upon to wear team gear..?
    Would I be labelled a Fred...?
    Personally I have no issues with anyone wearing such gear ...... thoughts..?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,001 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

It's not wrong unless you're racing in it.

Otherwise, if you care about what other people might think, lay it down for a few years until the team kit has changed or (better still) the team is torn apart by a doping scandal.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Fender76

Well, the team is actually defunct... and I actually bought it for it's Kelly links... can you guess what it is yet..? Clue, they are now called Argos..!!

?

dsc_000232366576171.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Older Skil Shimano kit I bet.

I know someone who wears it. He's a great cyclist and he can't pull it off. Tread carefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

Skil. By the way, wear it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

DirkVoodoo wrote: »

I know someone who wears it. He's a great cyclist and he can't pull it off. Fred carefully.
    FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Fender76 wrote: »
    I bought some team gear recently because it was very cheap and it is really good quality.. but is it frowned upon to wear team gear..?
    yes
    yes

doesnt bother me either wear what you want (i also have skil shimano gear and milram and have no qualms about squeezing my overweight body into it, in fact i cycled in in my shimano shorts this morning

anyway rule 3 covers it

3. The Euro Cyclist shall NEVER, under any circumstances, wear plain black spandex bibs (shorts, regardless of colour are BANNED) or ANY team kit

containing non-prominent logos. Shorts will extend approximately 2/3rds of the way down the upper leg and will contain a compression band at the bottom (distinct in colour). In NO CONDITION shall they extend any further!

I wheelie like that kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

I know someone who wears it. He's a great cyclist and he can't pull it off. Tread carefully.

That's gonna cost you on the after work spin!

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Fender76

Yeah, it's Skil Shimano.. and if I could pull it off I'd be racing for Argos now...

As I said, it was cheap and it's quality..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭mp31

...very cheap and it is really good quality..

These two things hardly ever co-exist together successfully...:D
    Never mind what the others think ... how much did you pay and where did you get it from coz I want some.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

I was doing a race in Drogheda two years ago is was a combined one. I knew the rule about pro gear in races and when scratch caught us some lad went by in the Giant gear. I was getting my prize later and remarked to one of the lads how some lad should be kicked off for wearing pro gear.

The David McCann went up and collected his first prize.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭dermur

If you've been to Cycle Superstore recently, be aware that some jerseys come with higher expectations than others...

206642.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Wearing full pro-team kit is fraught and it’s hard, if not impossible, to mitigate.

The permutations of the various failure modes are too numerous to escape:-
    Full team kit, but incorrect bike brand
    Full team kit, correct bike brand, but incorrect bike model
    Full team kit, correct bike brand, correct bike model (have only seen this in Italy)
    Variations: Current team kit; old team kit; really old team kit; jersey only; shorts only etc.

Personally, I think you should wear whatever you feel like wearing. Though it helps when you look awesome, ride awesome and you ride an awesome bike.

I should of course declare that I’ve worn those cheap, spandex-y looking Sky shorts from the "bargain alerts" thread. I *think* I may just have got away with wearing those; a few people have commented they look good, and they too would like a pair (though I did get the feeling it was like Skoda drivers complementing each other on their respective Octavias)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Wear what you want, it's your dime. I understand this bike fashion stuff is fun for some people, but I would feel free to 'opt out' and wear what I wanted if thats what I was into.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I have a Skil Shimano kit that I got really cheap at the end of season a couple of years ago. If there's kit going cheap, get it, cycling gear is expensive enough without having to worry if you're considered a fred or not. I also have three pairs of Quick Step shorts (one from 2009 and two from 2010) as these were going really cheap at the time and vermarc make really comfortable shorts. Generally at the end of the season I've a scout around the various team sites to see if any of them are getting rid of stuff cheap.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

So how would a 'King of the Mountains' Jersey be viewed with black bib shorts.

Apart from the obvious having to cycle up that mountain without dismounting.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

shaungil wrote: »
    I was doing a race in Drogheda two years ago is was a combined one. I knew the rule about pro gear in races and when scratch caught us some lad went by in the Giant gear. I was getting my prize later and remarked to one of the lads how some lad should be kicked off for wearing pro gear.

The David McCann went up and collected his first prize.

This nearly happened me when Martyn Irvine came out with us on a Saurday morning spin once. I thought to myself "Who's yer man in the full Ireland kit :rolleyes:". Fortunately I kept my thoughts to myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭buffalo

irish-stew wrote: »

I remember racing in Wales, and we passed some other cyclists heading up a mountain, including a rather overweight man in the polka dot jersey. Fair play to him, he made it to the top (I'm fairly certain), but the sight of his belly hanging out of the jersey really wasn't pleasant. I'm with Hinault on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭le petit braquet

irish-stew wrote: »

I would have thought you risk max fred points for wearing any classification leaders jersey from a grand tour. or even worse a rainbow jersey!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I would have thought you risk max fred points for wearing any classification leaders jersey from a grand tour. or even worse a rainbow jersey!

It was a TDF 08 Jersey worn on the 2009 London-Brighton. Wore it with Ditching in mind, it was my mission to get up that, the Jersey made it even more of one, with a few reminding me on the line and on route about same hill.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I've a nice collection of older pro jerseys. But I rarely wear them these days and tend to go for my own team kit or plain black or white stuff.

Whatever about wearing replica kit, wearing a prize jersey, whether its a champions kit or a classification jersey, is certainly a faux pas. You haven't won it.

So too is wearing pro kit to races. And it's also against the rules.

Whatever about wearing replica kit, wearing a prize jersey, whether its a champions kit or a classification jersey, is certainly a faux pas. You haven't won it.

I'll confess to having worn a Tour of Ireland yellow jersey in the past although it was in China where I figured it wouldn't be recognised and I justified it by thinking I'd be more visible and so less likely to be creamed by crazy driver...

I'll stop digging now.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭kemow

why worry about what others think about
    team gear if your happy wearing it and its comfortable, what are you going to do with it put it in the attic and leave it there its not much of a bargain then

• Registered Users Posts: 5,800 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I did the Ronde Van Vlaaaaarendendingalingenennn earlier this year. One of the lads thought it he'd look spiffing in his Cancellara Swiss Champion jersey.

The whole day, the "Hey Fabian" Belgian jibes never got old.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Etc

I've an original la vie clair jersey that I used through the late 80's which is in great nick and I should get out again (still fit's, woo, hoo), likewise a couple of other long defunct team jerseys which are currently wasted. If you are out and cycling wear what you want, as long as you get out and are enjoying it.

That said, can the fella that passed me out last night on the coast road to Howth who was wearing the sheer see through cycling shorts, please review your choice, you can go overboard letting people know you're a Fred......if you know what I mean:cool:

I saw someone wearing a Skil Shimano kit at a race last year & looked pretty cool... ;)

206666.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

I have a Skil Shimano kit that I got really cheap at the end of season a couple of years ago. If there's kit going cheap, get it, cycling gear is expensive enough without having to worry if you're considered a fred or not. I also have three pairs of Quick Step shorts (one from 2009 and two from 2010) as these were going really cheap at the time and vermarc make really comfortable shorts. Generally at the end of the season I've a scout around the various team sites to see if any of them are getting rid of stuff cheap.

+1

My thoughts exactly. Excellent quality gear at excellent prices should not be ignored IMO, so get some, quickly. Comfort is important, and when they fit, ex-team stuff is very good.

But no 'classification' jerseys................ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

how many posts do you need before being able to wear a boards jersey without embarrassment

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

how many posts do you need before being able to wear a boards jersey without embarrassment

Advertisement