Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best show of the decade?

• 05-01-2010 7:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

Following on from another thread about the quality of TV in the 00's, what does everyone think were the greatest shows of the decade?

For me its 24. 24 (and Jack Bauer) broke every rule. The clock (and the occasional silent clock), the split screen, the complexicities of the plot, killing off main characters, the cliffhangers, the tension and the never knowing whats going to happen next.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭bathroom gurgle

Band of Brothers I thought was one of the best but I can't think of anything better just now so I guess it was the best for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

The Sopranos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Photi

The Wire.

This decade and any decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Photi wrote: »
    The Wire.

I just fail to see how anyone who has given The Wire a proper chance and by this I mean watching at least the first season in full can pick any other show. Nothing else comes remotely close. If I was picking a runner up show it would be The Sopranos but if it was a race it would have been lapped by the time it finished second.

Opr

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Dexter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

The Office (UK)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Anton Chigurh

+1 For The Wire, it is in a league of it's own. Big fan of The Sopranos and Lost also but its gotta be The Wire. TV perfection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Barry_Scott

+1 for 24. Excellent show!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Photi wrote: »
    The Wire.

The only objective answer

Lock thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭TheManWho

I watched the first season of the wire, I enjoyed it, good show. But that's it, I have yet to run to the shops for season 2, and I don't think I will anytime soon. It's a good tv show, but not nearly as good as it's hype propagates it to be.

I will give show of the decade to Lost, but only because I consider Band of Brothers a miniseries and so not in contention.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 34,942 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

must resist urge to strangle Wire fanbois.....

Six Feet Under by a nose from Lost. Honourable mentions to The Shield, Peep Show, The Sopranos, Breaking Bad and Mad Men

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 22,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'd pick either the West Wing or Band or Brothers.

Band of Brothers - Not much that i need to say about this really, other then its probably the one show that i will always remember, and will always recommend to people. The last episode, with the final interviews, really stirs up some strong emotions for me. Amazing piece of television.

West Wing - This fantastic show has some of the best writting in any program that i have ever seen. Snappy dialogue, fantastic characters, and some excellent stories definitely put this very close to the top of my all time favourite lists. I realise that it started on the 22nd September 1999, but thats close enough for me.

Other honourable mentions go to 24, Lost, and Battlestar Galactica.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Bugnug

Sopranos.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I am trying to get a definitive boards 2000s TV awards. Starting from Season 99/00 to season 09/10.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055786103

I have started the Sci Fi nominations as a test thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055786748

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Drama-House
    Comedy-Scrubs/Chuck
    Family-Modern Family
    SciFi-Lost
    Reality-Dragons Den

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭antod

its the wire for me its the best show ever.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Bugnug wrote: »
    Sopranos.

It fell off a massive cliff the last few seasons to such an extent I dont know why people are nominating it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,379 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Dman001 wrote: »
    Drama-House
    Comedy-Scrubs/Chuck
    Family-Modern Family
    SciFi-Lost
    Reality-Dragons Den

I really wouldn't classify Lost as Sci-Fi..in fact I'd find it hard to pigeon-hole but definitely not Sci-Fi.

As for the program of the decade surprised no one has mentioned Killinascully, Val Falvey or The Clinic:p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

TheManWho wrote: »
    I watched the first season of the wire, I enjoyed it, good show. But that's it, I have yet to run to the shops for season 2, and I don't think I will anytime soon. It's a good tv show, but not nearly as good as it's hype propagates it to be.

Then you havn't watched the Wire,you have only watched part 1 of 5 of the story so you can't base opinions on that.

The Wire is the best show of the decade no question!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

murpho999 wrote: »
    I really wouldn't classify Lost as Sci-Fi..in fact I'd find it hard to pigeon-hole but definitely not Sci-Fi.

Based on last season it has definatly moved well into the realms of sci-fi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Rescue Me or Scrubs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Can't look past The Sopranos

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

For me, it has to be The West Wing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

I'll go with the majority and say The Wire.....

......although Spaced was pretty much perfect too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭beanyb

Definitely, without a shadow of a doubt, it has to be The Wire.

I'd give mentions to The Sopranos, Mad Men, The West Wing, Lost and Six Feet Under. But as great as they are... they're not The Wire.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,379 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

tvnutz wrote: »
    Based on last seas'on it has definatly moved well into the realms of sci-fi.

I know what you mean, in reference to the time travel and Dharma, but I don't find it a typical Sci-Fi with Space Travel, Aliens etc as in Star Wars/Star Trek or Doctor Who.

For me it's fantasy/drama ....also my favourite show and I can't wait for the last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Even from the beginning is was Sci-Fi. Darmha, the other etc. It just wasn't as in your face about it as other Sci-Fi dramas can be.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055786748

But nominate your own Sci-Fi series of the decade :D I am waiting for some one to nominate battlestar galactica.

Can I suggest Freeks and Geeks as the best TV show this decade even though it aired in the states in 1999 but here in 2000?

Because it is brilliant. Just for that fact alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭rednik

For being so consistent in writing, action and acting I would go with Spooks.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭iguy

Desperate housewives, Greys anatomy, Diary of a... ,The Tudors, The clinic, Undercover Ireland, Ryan confidental.
    I could name a whole load more,but I wont.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

I know what you mean, in reference to the time travel and Dharma, but I don't find it a typical Sci-Fi with Space Travel, Aliens etc as in Star Wars/Star Trek or Doctor Who.

For me it's fantasy/drama ....also my favourite show and I can't wait for the last season.

Science fiction covers a massive range of options, the space travel / rubber forehead alien stuff is but one very specific sub genre, albeit it a highly visible one in television. Based on what I've seen of it, Lost is very much a science fiction program, though perhaps of the "softer" variety in a lot of ways, and what seems like a dash of fantasy thrown in occasionally.

Advertisement