Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zelda (Where to start?)

• 09-12-2011 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭

Ok so I've played a bit of Zelda but never any game for more than an hour.

Where should I start ? Give me one or two recommendations of a Zelda game I should play (to finish) to get me started.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭randomuser77

brianon wrote: »
    Ok so I've played a bit of Zelda but never any game for more than an hour.

Where should I start ? Give me one or two recommendations of a Zelda game I should play (to finish) to get me started.

My first was Ocarina of Time for the 3DS which I only finished a fortnight ago. I will never look back ...

• Registered Users Posts: 55,433 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

My first was A Link To The Past which I have finished about 5 times, and I keep going back ... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

A Link to the Past...hmmmm. Of all the Zelda games its the one I have played the most. Maybe I'll stick with that for now.

Thanks guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

What systems do you have? Ocarina and skyward sword would be my recommendations if you have access to either. Failing that, you really cant go wrong with link to the past - i'm playing through it again at the moment and it is absolutely timeless. Also links awakening (gb) is a personal favourite of mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

A Link To The Past - SNES, GBA
    Ocarina Of Time - N64, 3DS

Starting any anything other than those would be a mistake :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

I've only ever played one of the games "The Wind Waker" on the Gamecube. Its amazing, still looks great to this day.

As much as I loved it, I couldnt justify buying a Wii to play the other new ones on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm going to be controversial and say, if you want an easy to get into and fun to play, no tricky bits, gentle introduction to the series you could do worse than Twilight Princess on the Gamecube or Wii.

Of course if that's not hardcore enough you could get the Philips CDi games that Retr0 is always raving about ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,705 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Of course if that's not hardcore enough you could get the Philips CDi games that Retr0 is always raving about ;)

From what I played they aren't bad :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 thisiswar

Ocarina of Time was my first and you certainly cant go wrong with it.

Never played it on the 3DS but if I was you i'd get a N64 with Ocarina & Majoras Mask.

Then when you've cleard them get a Gamecube with Twilight Princess & Windwaker.

Then when you've finished them get a Wii with Skyward Sword.

Thats what I did anyways

Your life is about to get a whole lot better

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

thisiswar wrote: »
    Ocarina of Time was my first and you certainly cant go wrong with it.

Never played it on the 3DS but if I was you i'd get a N64 with Ocarina & Majoras Mask.

Then when you've cleard them get a Gamecube with Twilight Princess & Windwaker.

Then when you've finished them get a Wii with Skyward Sword.

Thats what I did anyways

Your life is about to get a whole lot better

You dont need an N64 for Ocarina of Time or Majora's Mask, you can get them on the Virtual Console :)

I started with Link to the Past and then Link's Awakening. Both of them are great (like their Metroid counterparts) in that they're a great introduction to their relative series, but neither of them are so long that you start to get bored.

I reckon that a Wii is the best way to experience them, in the following order:

Link To The Past (Virtual Console)
    Ocarina Of Time
    Majora's Mask
    Wind Waker (GC)
    Twilight Princess
    Skyward Sword

Having said that, I'm a bit odd in that I'm only now getting close to completing Wind Waker, and I've yet to play through Ocarina of Time or Twilight Princess, so maybe take my advice with a pinch of salt...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Most have a DS and there you have two tailor made Zelda experiences, easy to play for short bursts too and yet don't compromise on the classical feel of the Zelda titles.
    Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks are both fine games made in the style of Wind Waker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    From what I played they aren't bad :P

Avg nerd says otherwise :pac:

600full-the-angry-video-game-nerd-screenshot.jpg

and to answer OP question my first real start and completeing zelda game was twilight princess this year , was solid

Well, speaking on behalf of Retr0 and I'm sure he won't mind, Avg Nerd has a Donkey Kong Country poster on his wall, and if that's where his critical factor is I'm not sure his opinion can be accepted as canon.

Well, speaking on behalf of Retr0 and I'm sure he won't mind, Avg Nerd has a Donkey Kong Country poster on his wall, and if that's where his critical factor is I'm not sure his opinion can be accepted as canon.

The Zelda CD-I games are in no way canon either. Sure they might be 'passable' games in themselves, but they're the bottom of the pile when it comes to the Zelda franchise.

EnterNow wrote: »
    The Zelda CD-I games are in no way canon either. Sure they might be 'passable' games in themselves, but they're the bottom of the pile when it comes to the Zelda franchise.

We know!
    They're a pile of fetid dingos kidneys!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,705 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Still working on that CDi. Seems like a lot of money for not a lot of good games. I could find a console cheap but controllers for it seem to be rare and expensive :(

Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks are both fine games made in the style of Wind Waker.

I actually didn't like Phantom Hourglass that much. It's ok but way too easy and I'd consider it the worst of the zelda games. Not played spirit tracks yet but not really bothered if it's like phantom hourglass.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 hawesome145

as mentioned best thing to do is get a Wii, you can download most of the old Zelda games on the virtual console if you have an internet connection. Plus you wont miss out on Twilight Princess or Skyward Sword.

I started with Links Awakening years ago on the GB then got an N64 with Ocarina of Time. Still probably the best game I have ever played. Got a Wii a couple of years back and downloaded it again, ahh the memories. Got rid of it and got a PS3 last year, starting to regret it now especially with Skyward Sword out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭megaten

Links awakening would be a good start I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

OP I'd recommend first going with The Ocarina of Time. This was the first Zelda brought into the "3D" world, and still remains the best Zelda. If you like this, you'll love the others too. You can get OoT on the Virtual Console, or source the Gamecube disc and play it on the Wii.

You can then move onto Majora's Mask, The Wind Waker, Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword, all playable on the Wii (you'll have to source the Wind Waker Gamecube Disc, as it isn't on the Virtual Console).

I personally wouldn't start with the old NES/GBA, "2D" games as they're not everyone's cup of tea. I'd definitely recommend playing all the home console versions first!

• Advertisement

Dman001 wrote: »
    I personally wouldn't start with the old NES/GBA, "2D" games as they're not everyone's cup of tea.

True that but Zelda 3 is one of the finest games of all time, there's no better intro to the series. It surpasses OoT for me, despite its viewing angle.
    Dman001 wrote:
    I'd definitely recommend playing all the home console versions first!

As opposed to the arcade versions? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Or you could go for four games on one disc:

http://www.zeldawiki.org/The_Legend_of_Zelda:_Collector%27s_Edition

It has The Legend of Zelda, The Adventure of Link, Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask.

Might be a bit hard to track down as it was a limited release, but might be a good place to start.

I'd start with Links Awakening or Link to the Past. The 3D zelda games all start really slowly and take ages to get into them. Awakening and Link to the Past in particular start with a bang and keep on going. I also think they are better games than the 3D ones.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Or you could go for four games on one disc:

http://www.zeldawiki.org/The_Legend_of_Zelda:_Collector%27s_Edition

It has The Legend of Zelda, The Adventure of Link, Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask.

Might be a bit hard to track down as it was a limited release, but might be a good place to start.

I still have my copy that I got free when I bought my Gamecube with Mario Kart Double Dash :D Having said that it seems to be on ebay for about £20 or so, which isn't a bad price (if you've already got a Gamecube or Wii with the relevant controllers/memory card) in comparison to the price of buying OoT and MM as downloads.

I agree with Retr0gamer about the 3D Zeldas starting more slowly (and generally being longer, more involved games) - they're great games, to be sure, but not necessarily a good way of starting out. I still think A Link To The Past is the best place to start, but obviously I'm biased as that's where I started :) I have it as a virtual console game on my Wii and getting started in the game is a lot faster than in Wind Waker, for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

EnterNow wrote: »
    True that but Zelda 3 is one of the finest games of all time, there's no better intro to the series. It surpasses OoT for me, despite its viewing angle.

As opposed to the arcade versions? :confused:
    By "Home Console" I meant OoC, Majora's Mask, Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword. The non-portable gaming versions like the ports of the Zelda games on the Gameboy from the Nes/Snes long with the DS versions!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭megaten

By "Home Console" I meant OoC, Majora's Mask, Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword. The non-portable gaming versions like the ports of the Zelda games on the Gameboy from the Nes/Snes long with the DS versions!

The SNES isn't a home console? News to me.

megaten wrote: »
    The SNES isn't a home console? News to me.

This may come as a surprise then... ;)

Fysh wrote: »

Plenty more where they came from

nintendo_64_revitalized_with_this_portable_mod.jpg

OP I'd recommend first going with The Ocarina of Time. This was the first Zelda brought into the "3D" world, and still remains the best Zelda. If you like this, you'll love the others too. You can get OoT on the Virtual Console, or source the Gamecube disc and play it on the Wii.

Or, just buy an N64 and get the cart and play it the way it was supposed to be played, on the system and with the controller it was designed for.
    The Wii version and the GC versions are ok but not as, well, good as on the proper hardware.
    The 3DS version is almost as good as the N64 original though, I'll give it that.
    I personally wouldn't start with the old NES/GBA, "2D" games as they're not everyone's cup of tea. I'd definitely recommend playing all the home console versions first!

Just so's you know, if were to say this in the A&R forum, you'd be lucky to make it home alive....
    Just so's you know... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

I have the same problem with zelda as OP.
    I keep starting one of them but never go back to it as I seem to get lost and I'm not a fan of walkthroughs but I guess I should use them.
    I have Zelda 1 & II, 4swords & Minish Cap on 3DS, thinking of getting Links Awakening on the eshop too. And I have OoT on the 3DS, WW/OoT & TP on the GC/Wii.
    Its funny cause I hear so many of you guys saying the Zelda games are great but I seem lost in the big ocean of the games when ever I try to start one. Glad I'm not the only one.

Played both ds zeldas a while back, didnt finish them but I did enjoy what I played so I would recommend one of them for a burst of play. The train on ST is annoying but still kinda cool.

Advertisement