Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Using an International Drivers Licence in Ireland

• 04-04-2012 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hello,
    Just looking for a bit of advice, myself and spouse are looking to to get a car together. I have a full Irish licence and no claims bonus, my spouse is from Brazil and has held a Brazilian licence for the past 10 years and has an international licence. I know that you can drive on an international licence for up to a year in Ireland. The problem is that any of the insurance websites don't show international licences as an option for licence type and the insurance company that I called today wouldn't quote the cost of having a temporary driver on the policy until the policy has started.
    I checked on Citizens Information and I don't think its possible to exchange a Brazilian licence for an Irish licence which is possible for other countries licences outside of the EU.

Has anyone been in a similar situation and what did they do?

Does anyone know of any insurance companies that cover international licence holders for up to a year?

Another option is for her to get a provisional licence but the down side is that she will need to be accompanied by a full licence driver at all times.

Any help would be greatly appreciated:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭kilianmanning

Pabs wrote: »
    Hello,
    Just looking for a bit of advice, myself and spouse are looking to to get a car together. I have a full Irish licence and no claims bonus, my spouse is from Brazil and has held a Brazilian licence for the past 10 years and has an international licence. I know that you can drive on an international licence for up to a year in Ireland. The problem is that any of the insurance websites don't show international licences as an option for licence type and the insurance company that I called today wouldn't quote the cost of having a temporary driver on the policy until the policy has started.
    I checked on Citizens Information and I don't think its possible to exchange a Brazilian licence for an Irish licence which is possible for other countries licences outside of the EU.

Has anyone been in a similar situation and what did they do?

Does anyone know of any insurance companies that cover international licence holders for up to a year?

Another option is for her to get a provisional licence but the down side is that she will need to be accompanied by a full licence driver at all times.

Any help would be greatly appreciated:)
    Looks like she will have to go through the licencing system here so. Pass the theory test, get the learner permit, do the 12 lessons. As far as I know you can send a letter to the rsa with your international licence showing them you are a competent driver, cancelling out the 6 month rule for not being able to do the driving test. I think she will still have to do the lessons but not sure to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭puppetmaster

Yes, she can drive on a brazilian licence for a period of up to twelve months, Technically there is no such thing as an international licence. Its only a translation of the original licence into many languages in order to be understood internationally. No insurance company i delt with would insure me on a non EU licence (i Didnt try them all).

So yeh unfortunatley it looks like its off to the theory test center. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 21,999 ✭✭✭✭Esel

It might take a while, but would it be possible to exchange the Brazilian licence for one in another EU country (e.g. Portugal?) then exchange that for an Irish one? It might even be the case that the European licence (if she can get one) might be permanently valid here (i.e. no need to exchange).

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

for the 1st year, your partner is here in ireland whe can get insurance, subject to havign brazilian licence with inter.permit but if in ireland over 1yr , they must apply for irish prov licence via theory test - during 1st year will be rated same as prov licence but at next renewal will be excluded from cover without irish licence.

hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Pabs

Cheers everyone for the advice, I think she'll be booking the theory test and going for the prov licence.

• Advertisement
Advertisement