Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golden retriever ...starting to slown down

• 19-02-2012 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

Hi folks,
    Just hoping for some advice on my 8 yr old retriever. He's in great condition, not over weight, and used to fairly good exercise. In the past few weeks he's chewing his front "elbow" or the first joint up from his paw:confused:. I know the breed is prone to bone problems,and I'm wondering if theres something i can do before the problem gets any worse. I'm taking glucosamine ...and was almost tempted to try him with the odd tab :pac:.....
    Thanks in advance guys .....
    he's such a great dog ...with a heart bigger than himself :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Hi folks,
    I'm taking glucosamine ...and was almost tempted to try him with the odd tab :pac:.....

Go for it

Some fish oils too

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭itsnotmyname

great .....thanks for that ....I kinda thought it was the right thing,but just wanted confirmation. Thanks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

Highly recommend Salmon Oil! - would also recommend a natural supplement called umove.

can i give the human stuff ...r do i need 2 get it from the vet:confused:?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

I would highly recommend you bring the dog to a vet, yes at 8 there's no harm in giving him a few supplements but there could be anything going on that needs actual treatment such as arthritis or an injury in that joint.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replys guys.....think i will take him along to the vet. I'd hate to think he was in any discomfort .

So Far so good, with the Glucosamine tabs.......since starting them he defo isn't as stiff :pac:
    Just gonna see how the next couple months go!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Hi, just wondering do you give him 'human' Glucosamine tablets? And how do you administer them, ie break them open and put them over his food or just stick a tablet down his throat? One of mine has a stiff leg from an injury a few years ago and I want to get him something to help as the vet has said arthritis is inevitable when he gets older. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Aru

Hi folks,
    Just hoping for some advice on my 8 yr old retriever. He's in great condition, not over weight, and used to fairly good exercise. In the past few weeks he's chewing his front "elbow" or the first joint up from his paw:confused:. I know the breed is prone to bone problems,and I'm wondering if theres something i can do before the problem gets any worse. I'm taking glucosamine ...and was almost tempted to try him with the odd tab :pac:.....
    Thanks in advance guys .....
    he's such a great dog ...with a heart bigger than himself :D

I would bring him to the vet and double check that there is nothing sinister causing him to he chewing his leg....could be allergy, pain even though very unlikely it could also be an early warning sign of a bone tumour rather than just an bad habit. Esp if its not a normal thing for him to do.Its most likely not anything sinister but always good to check these things and catch issues early.

But on the supplements side ...glucosamine and chondriotin tablets are good for joints as are the omega 3's...just introduce slowly and increase the dose overtime as some dogs can get digestive upsets with a sudden dose.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    Hi, just wondering do you give him 'human' Glucosamine tablets? And how do you administer them, ie break them open and put them over his food or just stick a tablet down his throat? One of mine has a stiff leg from an injury a few years ago and I want to get him something to help as the vet has said arthritis is inevitable when he gets older. Thanks!

I give my GR 2 joint supplements and just pour (on is liquid and one is granules) them on his breakfast ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I told a market stall holder that I give our elderly collie glucosamine and cod liver oil and he accused me of spoiling her...

CLO is much cheaper than salmon oil.

The gluc I use were mine; so I give every two days open the capsule and sprinkle it on food; she eats so fast you can put anything in her food. And it does help greatly. She is about 12 now and as stiff as I am... which is STIFF!

Old adage; there are always two men in my bedroom.. Arthur Itis and Will Power. Collie knows all about this!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 PeaSoup

How's he getting on? Did you bring him to the vet? It could be slowing down but it could be something more sinister. You seem to really care about him so an general and orthopoedic exam with maybe an xray if finances allow wouldn't go amiss. That's what I'd do if it was my dog. I say this not to alarm you but I would be concerned about an osteosarcoma. His breed, age and the area concerned (away from his elbow, towards his foot) is pretty common. An osteosarcoma is a pretty aggressive form of cancer. 90% of it has spread to other areas on diagnosis so early diagnosis is vital. If you can feel any uneven bone in that area I'd especially recommend this. Glad the glucosamine seems to be helping, I'm always unsure whether to recommend this!

Advertisement