Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SPSV test

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 DavieB

Well Taximus I don't believe that we can solve all the problems of the industry here, but here are some points worth considering.

1. No organisation with responsibility for Authorised Stands.

2. No organisation with responsibility for the proliferation of 'private' stands, e.g. Airport and Shopping Centres. Leading to exploitation of drivers.

3. No Authorised Stands supplied in some areas.

4. No mandatory training for the test.

5. No upskilling supplied for existing drivers (This does not necessarilyrequire a test, just a short assessment).

6. Industry not being integrated into the general Hospitality Industry.

7. No control over the Rental Industry.

8. Drivers flaunting rules - Includes all nationalities.

9. Drivers ignorant of their rights and the rights of passengers.

10. Drivers attitudes - Customers are our lifeblood and not a nuisance.

11. Drivers Cherry picking - Saying they don't know where places are (SHORT JOURNEYS)

12. Industry image very poor and is down to the people involved i.e. US

13. An awful lot of drivers of all nationalities need better people skills.

14. Looks like at present we as an idnustry are cash cows for the Regulator i.e. Not enough ranks and strict enforcement and fining for breaches - Look at the stats.

Hope this helps.

David B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 taximus

An interesting and well thought out answer, but leaving all that aside for a minute... what theoretically can be done to actually fix the industry? I am talking about the amount of taxis on the road. Obviously an immediate cease of sale of all taxi plates and isssuing of licenses. I understand that this might sound like too little too late, but it's a start. Next, a way of reversing the damage done, by the government creating an initiative to buy back an amount of plates which would make working in the taxi industry economically viable for the drivers who remain. Older drivers could be offered a sum of money to retire from taxiing altogether by selling their plates back to the state. If the state start giving the poor mouth (as i know they would), then perhaps a fund could be made up to buy back those plates from older taxi drivers. The fund could be partly subsidised by the state, but also from the remainding taxi drivers by a weekly payment for lets say, a years duration.

Taximus
    You're beginnig to sound like a politician - Leaving all that aside. You can't ignore all of my submissiion and just stop issuing licences. I don't know if you mean Vehicle or Drivers licences. If you mean Vehicle licences, there are hundreds if not thousnads held by rental/cab companies. If you mean drivers licences, again several hundred or even thousands are not even used, but held just in case the owner loses their job.
    What the Regulator has done at present i.e. Ceased issuing vehicle licences will eventually have an effect, but companies are still looking to buy from those leaving the industry. They need to stop issuing Drivers Licences, that way - no drivers no competition. Maybe restricting new entrants to day work only for a period, before they are allowed to work nights might help. I wouldn't subscribe to that myself. I'm all for free enterprise.
    I still think the rental industry is compounding the situation.
    Maybe one way might be for the Regulator to identify through the Revenue Commissioners those who are already in receipt of state pensions and refuse or restrict them. At least for a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 crumlin j

hi im doing the spsv test for the 3rd time tomorrow,i got 81 n 79 in the area last time so i failed by one question ha close but not close enough.if any one could pm sum questions id really apreciate it.thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭james116

if u can't pass the test on ur own u should not be allowed drive a taxi.

• Advertisement

Pigs Ear Restaurant is situated at?

Andrew Street

Nassau Street+

Parnell Street

Grafton Street

The Law Society Lounge and Club is situated at?

South William Street+

Wicklow Street

Wexford Street

Ormond Quay

Killarney Street runs one way from?

Lower Buckingham Street to Portland Row

Frankfort cottages to Amien Street

Portland Row to Lower Buckingham Street+

Seán McDermott Street to Cathal Brugha Street

Which of the following does not adjoin Amien Street?

Killarney Street+

Seville Place

Portland Road

Talbot Street

sound for the advice james haha..thanks dave appreciate it

james116 wrote: »
    if u can't pass the test on ur own u should not be allowed drive a taxi.

Well James you obviously have a SPSV licence. Everybody should study to pass any test. Even Universities give out pass papers to students. Our Regulator gives no information for a vital part of the test the Area Knowledge and in fact only asks 36 questions???????????

• Registered Users Posts: 12,894 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

DavieB wrote: »
    Well James you obviously have a SPSV licence. Everybody should study to pass any test. Even Universities give out pass papers to students. Our Regulator gives no information for a vital part of the test the Area Knowledge and in fact only asks 36 questions???????????

Studying is one thing. Asking for the questions along with the answers ahead of the test is a different story.

very good point,only askin for a bit of help,not many decent people around anymore i have to say,everyone out for themselves and losty i asked for questions not answers.

• Advertisement

Studying is one thing. Asking for the questions along with the answers ahead of the test is a different story.

Losty you should realise that there are thousands of permutations for the questions and answers. The Regulator gives no help in even recommending training and expects people to pass the test. Even existing drivers would fail the test. If they had the nerve to try it in the first place. By giving some answers I am only showing them what they should be aware of. In fact there is a whole lot more to be aware of, not least the fact that there is a 78% failure rate with the test. Some people have taken the test up to 9 times in order to pass it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Losty you should realise that there are thousands of permutations for the questions and answers. The Regulator gives no help in even recommending training and expects people to pass the test. Even existing drivers would fail the test. If they had the nerve to try it in the first place. By giving some answers I am only showing them what they should be aware of. In fact there is a whole lot more to be aware of, not least the fact that there is a 78% failure rate with the test. Some people have taken the test up to 9 times in order to pass it.

Interesting.How are there so many drivers from overseas then? Have they passed this test? I'd imagine if it's that hard then you'd struggle,especially if you're not originally from here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

Interesting.How are there so many drivers from overseas then? Have they passed this test? I'd imagine if it's that hard then you'd struggle,especially if you're not originally from here.

Go figure! 'course, if you mention the possibility that maybe some of them are not legit (or got someone else to sit the test) you're accused of racist comments.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Andrew33 wrote: »
    Go figure! 'course, if you mention the possibility that maybe some of them are not legit (or got someone else to sit the test) you're accused of racist comments.;)

So is this happening? Are there people impersonating people at tests? Or are there still drivers with fake licences etc? What's been done about if if it is the case. Has the regulator made any comments on this?
    If nothing is happening then the taxi driver lobby needs to up its pressure.I'm not hearing much from them these days.

So is this happening? Are there people impersonating people at tests? Or are there still drivers with fake licences etc? What's been done about if if it is the case. Has the regulator made any comments on this?
    If nothing is happening then the taxi driver lobby needs to up its pressure.I'm not hearing much from them these days.

I don't think people are impersonating others at the test, although nothing would surprise me. It's obvious that the Regulators role was ill thought out when being established as they are not responsible for the control of ranks - In fact nobody is - They're not responsible for companies such as the Square SC charging drivers to work from there - They're not responsible for companies doing cash deals with despatch operators such as the Plaza, the Old Mill SC or Liffey Valley to name a few.

If you ring up with a query three times you could get three different answers to the same question.

By the way there seems to be a lot of concern about drivers of African heritage and their ability to pass the test. Very many of them have been in this country for many years some for ten or more and would know Dublin as well if not better than some native drivers. I know this because I've spoken to them.

Unfortunately, quite a lot do not know the city, with some not knowing if a residential area is North side or South side.

By the way there are quite a number of scummy native drivers out there too. I have often sat at ranks and the (Native - White) drivers in front say they don't know where a destination is. When in fact they would have to know as it is only a short distance away????? If I can sit for an hour and a half and then take a passenger on a short distance, why can't they.

There are a lot of problems in the industry that need to be sorted but the saying people in glass houses comes to mind a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Axenti

Well, sure as far as I am concerned you didn't have the area knowledge exam before. I failed my exam on Area Knowledge 65%. I got 100% in Industry knowledge. But in the same time, i saw many current taxi drivers who failed the Industry Knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭I Was VB

Went out at 8.30pm came home this morning at 6.10am, Grossed €38.

Working in Dublin and with a radio company, just for some perspective to wannabe taxi drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭wexford12

They will never believe you sure everyone thinks its a grand a night lol . You should try it down here many nights I come home at a loss after buying a coffee. Yep lots of nights here not even one fare

38 euro is bad alright,surely you have good nights.

crumlin j wrote: »

Yeah he does. He earns €40 on a good night :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭wexford12

crumlin j wrote: »

LOL see I said no one would believe you €38 a night not ever on a Sunday to Thursday even the last 2 Fridays have been less than €25. Oh I did great on Saturday I took in €140

i never said i didnt believe him,i totally believe him,i know a few geniune taxi men and in there honest opionion you can still make a wage.the industry is gone to bits just like everything in this hellhole.lads if your making 38 everynight try sell your plate and work doing sumting else,not being smart but lidl on the long mile road are looking for staff so losty you be making more than 40 euro night,lads get out of the game if its that bad,and dont say its too hard to get out of,if ya really want out yous would be out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kalaber

hi im just wondering if anyone here has sat the test for dublin recently? if so, what type of questions were asked?as in did they include housing estates, side streets around town etc or just general main road/area type questions?
    responses would be much appreciated.

If you look up the Official Manual you will see that they can ask any questions about the area in which you propose to work. in cluding things like:
    Shaw street runs one way from?
    or
    Which road adjoins the Joyce house of the Dead?

Hope this helps youcould look at a site called. www.spsvtresttraining.com.

Sorry that should have been: spsvtesttraining.com

If you look up the Official Manual you will see that they can ask any questions about the area in which you propose to work. in cluding things like:
    or

Glad to see that there is still money in selling shovels to idle men :rolleyes:

Well Losty as you well know, if youintend to dig holes for a living you'll need a shovel and it might as well be the correct one. Makes things easier for everyone.

Well Losty as you well know, if youintend to dig holes for a living you'll need a shovel and it might as well be the correct one. Makes things easier for everyone.

Those SPSV courses are one of the prime suspects for making a king mockery out of the taxi industry. Studying test formats and bringing people up to speed on tests is fair enough. Selling them on the questions and answers does nobody any good.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

or

Hmmm hope their training is better than their web site

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

Spook_ie wrote: »
    or

Hmmm hope their training is better than their web site

Its spelt wrongly "psv
    trest training"

correct it to "test" and the link works!!

Advertisement