Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

SPSV test

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 the searcher

If you can make 2-300 a week profit from taxiing you can make an absolute fortune selling your business plan:D

Yis aren't fooling anyone guys with your doom and gloom , there's gold on them there streets !
    Il clear 600 a week no problem I recon, roll on, the happy days are here again !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 dunnariogh

Yis aren't fooling anyone guys with your doom and gloom , there's gold on them there streets !
    Il clear 600 a week no problem I recon, roll on, the happy days are here again !
    let me know how you get on with clearing 600 a week after expenses:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭lost marbles

just after reading over some of your posts and "out of the mouth of babes " comes to mind . with all due respect mate you hav,nt a clue . and your little quips about "haters" and calling people tossers dos,nt help your cause either .
    theres over 14,000 taxis plying their trade in dublin alone. and here you are thinking that you can grab yourself a slice of the action that none of the others hav,nt tried . come on in the waters nice and warm :D:D:D.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Dai John

THANKS LOSTY,VERY HELPFUL ,
    OISINDOYLE AND THE ANSWER ,I WAS SELF EMPLOYED FOR 13YRS & EMPLOYED 6 PEOPLE ,LOST BUSINESS LAST YEAR ,ALL THE USUAL BAGGAGE LARGE MORTGAGE CREDIT CARDS CREDIT UNION ,REVENUE,FAILED BUSINESS LOANS ETC ETC ,NO DOLE ,DID MEANS TEST FOR JOBSEEKERS ALLOWANCE AND GOT NOTHING EITHER,SO I GET NOTHING AS MY MISSES EARNS 25K A YEAR ,SO IF I CAN GET EVEN 2 OR 3 HUNDRED A WEEK FROM TAXIING IT WOULD HELP TO LIVE,2 YOUNG KIDS AND MOST OF OUR MONEY GOING ON DEBTS ,TRIED TO GET OTHER JOBS ,TESCO NIGHTSHIFTS,WAREHOUSES ETC BUT NOTHING, NOBODY WANTS A FAT ,BALDING 41 YEAR OLD DUB , EXCEPT THE TAXI BRETHREN ;0 GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL -DONT LET THE BASTARDS GET YOU DOWN ! DAI JOHN ID SAY THEY GET SICK LISTENING TO YOUR ****E ,WHAT A TOSSER:P
    You are the failure reading above. What I said about pukers is based on experience, but then I am a culchie, the customers in Dublin are so much more refined than ours. Let us know in 3 months how you get on. I made my money in the good times and had enough sense to hold on to it and no way in the world would I enter it at this time, read more posts. The best hurlers are in the ditch .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 dunnariogh

let searcher get on with it,he deserves everything he gets,wish i listened to advice,but luckily i have a way out,fingers crossed.

• Advertisement

PEACE AND LOVE TO ALL THE HATERS AND
    TOSSERS ! KEEP PEDALING YOUR LIES ! ANYONE WHO CAN'T EARN A LIVING FROM A TAXI SHOULD BE SHOT ! OR GIVEN A GOOD KICK UP THE JACKZI, THERE'S GOLD ON THEM THERE STREETS

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭steph1

Dream on baby! Spoke to a fellow taxi driver in Dublin today who told me he took in 45 euros on a Friday in our capital city! Nuff said. This industry is banjaxed well and truly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭oisindoyle

You know what ,as ,someone else said ,why bother giving advice,its pointless.The more I think about it and read the various inusults he made against people ,the more I am inclined to believe hes a troll,,,dont feed the troll i say .,....
    But my last word on this matter in this section for any "sane" person who is thinking of going into the taxi business or contemplating doing the spsv exam ,,,,in a word ,,,,,,,,,,,DON'T

45 euro for working Friday night shift in Dublin ,who you fooling ,the revenue maybe ,but not Joe public .and as for expenses ,in the taxi business they are tiny ,give me a breakdown of your weekly expenses to prove it ,no thought you wouldn't . Liars !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I'll give you a monthly breakdown if ya like (2 cars)

Insurance €541.72
    Car Loan €520
    Diesel €800 avg.
    Service, Maintenance and General Upkeep €300 avg.
    Phone €70 avg

Total €2231.72 per month:eek:

Not including yearly NCT(€50), SGS(€125), road tax(€82), licence renewal every five years (€250) and any other 'improvements' that TRD throw our way;)

This is for a hackney so you can add metre, printer. till rolls, roofsign, base money, and other associated costs to this figure for a taxi.

Hope that helps:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I'll give you a monthly breakdown if ya like (2 cars)

Insurance €541.72

You pay over 12,000 euro to insure two cars a year? :eek:

mikemac wrote: »
    err 12x500= 6000:)

yep, two cars, two drivers on each

• Registered Users Posts: 12,956 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

mikemac wrote: »

Back when I first got my own taxi insurance, I was quoted over €5,000 by Quinn while a friend of mine paid over €3,000 to AXA; high racking of many drivers does exist.

2231 x 12 equals 26772

26772 divided by 52 - 515

Per week cost for 2 cars with 4 drivers

that's 257 per car per week with 2 drivers working each car

say each driver works 5 shifts or 40 hours

that's 10 shifts or 80 hours
    257 divided by 10 equals 26

257 divided by 80 equals
    3.2 per hour
    So it costs circa 26 euro per shift in costs
    very cheap running costs
    and of course all drivers are paying and declaring full income ,and not signing on the dole ? hmmm I wonder

So it costs circa 26 euro per shift in costs
    very cheap running costs
    and of course all drivers are paying and declaring full income ,and not signing on the dole ? hmmm I wonder
    Its actually the same two drivers on both cars so 52 euro per shift to be exact:D

What income?

Even if its 52 per shift that's not a high cost , and 400 diesel each car each month would cover a lot of miles , just admit its a nice earner ,nothing wrong with having a nice earner !

Even if its 52 per shift that's not a high cost , and 400 diesel each car each month would cover a lot of miles , just admit its a nice earner ,nothing wrong with having a nice earner !

I'll play along just for now:D

€52 per 10 hour shift would mean net takings of €138.50 in order to make the minimum wage, and that my friend is pie in the sky.

Most days it would be a struggle just to break even.

I'd be very interested to know how you consider this a nice earner, I could do with making a few extra euros:)

Yeah 400 diesel would cover a lot of miles all right! No point in covering a lot of miles and no punters sittin in yer car is there? :rolleyes:

You guys obviously don't work Dublin ,I spoke to a neighbour tonite and told him I was thinking of getting into the game and asked him for an honest assessment ,he's driving taxis years, he told me he clears usually around 700 a week after expenses if he does 10 hours Thursday, 10 hours Friday, 16 hours sat. with a couple of half hour kips, and 8 hours Sunday and a few pick UPS during the week ,so know I have an honest answer, didn't want to have to approach my neighbours and ask how much your earning ,but wasn't getting much honest advice here . So I bid you all farewell .

• Advertisement

You guys obviously don't work Dublin ,I spoke to a neighbour tonite and told him I was thinking of getting into the game and asked him for an honest assessment ,he's driving taxis years, he told me he clears usually around 700 a week after expenses if he does 10 hours Thursday, 10 hours Friday, 16 hours sat. with a couple of half hour kips, and 8 hours Sunday and a few pick UPS during the week ,so know I have an honest answer, didn't want to have to approach my neighbours and ask how much your earning ,but wasn't getting much honest advice here . So I bid you all farewell .
    LOL;

all i can say to that

No I work in the West of Ireland but have contacts who drive taxis in Dublin and unless you are doing radio or contract work its hard to make it on the streets. Sure just look at all the taxis that are driving around trying to get on the ranks and wasting fuel.
    Anyway good luck to you is all I can say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭oisindoyle

Well if you went to a neighbour ,why did you come onto boards,,,methinks you are a troll....
    By the way ,,,could you ask your neighbour to put his number up on here ,cos i am sure every taxi driver in dublin would love to contact him and ask him how hes doing "so well"..

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭lost marbles

id say living on your road is a barrel of laughs ;):D:D

If you allow 4 hours a day for the mid week days, that's a mere 60 hour week. Hardly what I'd call a handy weeks work.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭murphthesmurf

Hi all, would any of you be able to tell me if a UK spsv licence would cover me here? I know from what I've read here that its not the best line of work to be getting into, but I'm rapidly running out of options.
    From what I've heard and read the spsv test here is designed to be as un-passable as possible. I may have to return to UK soon, if so I could do the test there if it will cover me here. I'm clutching at straws, but this may be my last option.

Hi all, would any of you be able to tell me if a UK spsv licence would cover me here? I know from what I've read here that its not the best line of work to be getting into, but I'm rapidly running out of options.
    From what I've heard and read the spsv test here is designed to be as un-passable as possible. I may have to return to UK soon, if so I could do the test there if it will cover me here. I'm clutching at straws, but this may be my last option.

It wouldn't cover you, no. Mind you, I'd wager that most London cabbies probably have a better Dublin route knowledge than many Dublin based drivers so it would qualify them more ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭murphthesmurf

It wouldn't cover you, no. Mind you, I'd wager that most London cabbies probably have a better Dublin route knowledge than many Dublin based drivers so it would qualify them more ;)

Cheers, back to the drawing board. Looking like a 1 way ticket to the UK :mad: I could pass the regulations part no prob, But learning the road networks for the towns of Westmeath not so easy, Athlone fine, but I've never even been to Mullingar :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 taximus

I'd be interested to hear suggestions on how fix our current dire taxi industry. I understand that many attempts would be considered as 'closing the barn door after the horse has bolted'....but perhaps someone has a good idea and would like to post it on here. Now, Im aware that there are idiots on here who like to sidetrack things and be sarcastic.... but try to leave the sarcasm behind for awhile and think of ways that the industry could be fixed. I welcome responses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 DavieB

Well Taximus I don't believe that we can sole all the problems of the industry here, but here are some points worth considering.

1. No organisation with responsibility for Authorised Stands.

2. No organisation with responsibility for the proliferation of 'private' stands, e.g. Airport and Shopping Centres. Leading to exploitation of drivers.

3. No Authorised Stands supplied in some areas.

4. No mandatory training for the test.

5. No upskilling supplied for existing drivers (This does not necessarilyrequire a test, just a short assessment).

6. Industry not being integrated into the general Hospitality Industry.

7. No control over the Rental Industry.

8. Drivers flaunting rules - Includes all nationalities.

9. Drivers ignorant of their rights and the rights of passengers.

10. Drivers attitudes - Customers are our lifeblood and not a nuisance.

11. Drivers Cherry picking - Saying they don't know where places are (SHORT JOURNEYS)

12. Industry image very poor and is down to the people involved i.e. US

13. An awful lot of drivers of all nationalities need better people skills.

14. Looks like at present we as an idnustry are cash cows for the Regulator i.e. Not enough ranks and strict enforcement and fining for breaches - Look at the stats.

Hope this helps.

David B

Advertisement