Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Stolen 520d in Celbridge 07/11/2011 8am

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

It's fairly obvious.

You leave a car open with the engine running & the keys in it. Why would the insurance pay out?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Sure you could expand that to leaving a window open, or not turning on the house alarm.
    Voids the insurance??

The car was stolen. End of story.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Traumadoc wrote: »
    Sure you could expand that to leaving a window open, or not turning on the house alarm.
    Voids the insurance??

The car was stolen. End of story.
    Yea you could, and yes it does! If you have an alarm and it's not turned on you mighn't be covered at all - especially if you are getting a lower preimum for having an alarm.

Check the small print.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

iphone4g wrote: »
    How do any of ye know than an insurance company won't pay out if the car was left ticking over on private property?

I don't thing they would have much choice,if that was the case there would be no point of us having any type of insurance.

Yes - happened to a customer of ours last year. Company had to pay us for the total loss of the car as the Insurance company wouldn't cover the car, that was left unlocked, with the engine running, on the driver's driveway. Expensive lesson for all involved, driver ended up just about keeping her job, but was on a final written warning.

Back on topic - I'll keep an eye out for it OP. Wouldn't surprise me if it ended up in the general vacinity of our office :rolleyes:

Just in case the plates have been changed, is there anything that would make it stand out? Does it still have the 520d badge on the back, or just an M? Standard 18" wheels, or the upgraded 19"?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Gophur wrote: »
    It never ceases to amaze why so many people contribute to such threads asking how the car was stolen.

1. It doesn't matter how the car was stolen.
    2. The car owner wants her car back. She doesn't need anyone to lecture her on anything she was deemed to have done "wrong".

As for compensation? I hope the car owner gets her car back, or is compensated for it, properly. The car was still stolen, whether the thief had keys, or not.

The reason I would ask or want to know how the car was stolen would be so that I would know infuture myself and try to avoid such a situation. Like now, I never leave my keys within reach of the letterbox.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

I'm guessing there are a number of BMW looking for flood damaged engines replaced and such a car is heading for a breakers yard.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Try1ng

R.O.R wrote: »
    iphone4g wrote: »
    How do any of ye know than an insurance company won't pay out if the car was left ticking over on private property?

I don't thing they would have much choice,if that was the case there would be no point of us having any type of insurance.

Yes - happened to a customer of ours last year. Company had to pay us for the total loss of the car as the Insurance company wouldn't cover the car, that was left unlocked, with the engine running, on the driver's driveway. Expensive lesson for all involved, driver ended up just about keeping her job, but was on a final written warning.

Back on topic - I'll keep an eye out for it OP. Wouldn't surprise me if it ended up in the general vacinity of our office :rolleyes:

Just in case the plates have been changed, is there anything that would make it stand out? Does it still have the 520d badge on the back, or just an M? Standard 18" wheels, or the upgraded 19"?

Thanks guys,
    Scrapes over back pas wheel arch, m badge on the boot missing the stripes, no other badges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

I agree with a previous poster re floods and requirement of Spare parts. I'd say the car is in tiny pieces now. Now I hope not and wish the owner the best in retrieving same but I wouldnt be exactly confident. Yeah I'm a half glass empty merchant but these are the cold facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,375 ✭✭✭fletch

Gophur wrote: »
    It never ceases to amaze why so many people contribute to such threads asking how the car was stolen.

1. It doesn't matter how the car was stolen.
    2. The car owner wants her car back. She doesn't need anyone to lecture her on anything she was deemed to have done "wrong".
    Perhaps but it could be a lessons learnt for other people so they could take steps to avoid it happening to them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Keep this on topic. The nitpicking is ruining the OP's thread. Only and final warning.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

Try1ng wrote: »
    Thanks guys,
    Scrapes over back pas wheel arch, m badge on the boot missing the stripes, no other badges.

I live in celb, sorry to hear about this.

Do these 5 series have a sat./wireless computer link to the BMW main computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭Buffman

Try1ng wrote: »
    Thanks guys,

Sorry to hear that OP, I'll keep an eye out for it. If you have any photos of the car, maybe put them up. Especially the previously damaged area if you have any photos of it.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

Thanks guys for keeping an eye out.
    They say bad luck comes in three's, well 2 down, my own car is now in the garage and needs a new radiator, never rains but it pours.

I wonder if many people have recovered stolen cars, any idea of %?
    Gardai said it would normally be parked up somewhere for 7 - 10 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

considering its celbridge id drive down a few of the estates , cant think of the name of the one out on the clane road but a car or 2 has turned up there after being taken from celbridge

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭oregano

OP did you consider asking the likes of Conor's Recovery if he had seen similar on his travels? He lifts breakdowns and scrappers etc all over Celbridge and he may be able tell you of some estates commonly known, as per a previous poster.

Also, if the car was nicked at about 8 am Monday, wouldn't there have been a traffic jam coming out of Old Town Mill? Perhaps a parent dropping their kid off at that hour saw the car queing to leave the estate...

Great idea - I was on to him this morning.
    No traffic jam at that time another 20 mins or so and there would have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭Buffman

Any update OP?

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

Buffman wrote: »
    Any update OP?
    Nothing - contacted a few places that I hoped might have CCTV pointing onto the road but the best was one 2 possible sightings but hard to make out.
    Gaurds in harcourt st were very informative but still nothing concrete.

Advertisement