Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Dubl07 wrote: »
    Your neighbours posted this... ;)

A bit more white and that could very well be him, and he loves to drink from the bathroom sink. :D

Toby spent most of the day on our bed, which is unusual, weirder still Jazzy was on the bed too and didn't hassle him. The people in the house he visits saw me lift him off the wall on Monday and hopefully they've got the message that he's wanted at home. I had to order some more reflective collars from Zooplus today, I love the Red Dingo ones but the Sterling rate is just too expensive at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Poor Opie is delighted he's finally back to normal indoor duties :D Finally got the wooden floor down and all the painting done (bar a bit of gloss that has to be done right before bed to minimise fumes). Poor fecker has had to spend the better part of the day in the little room alone or out in the garden with all 24 of his toys, some of which were stuffed with mince and frozen dog food.
    He's back inside now and has a face on him like I chained him up outside with no food or water for the past week! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

Question actually. So, when we get a new cat, I'd like to get a grown up cat.
    My boyfriend says that our current cat (who, to be fair, is very misanthropic) will tear an adult cat apart because it won't have a "kitten smell"
    A kitten will be fine, he'll be nice to the kitten.

Thoughts?

Kittens are lovely but they're only kittens for 5 minutes and they poop everywhere. I'd like to rescue an adult animal who mightn't have all the options of a tiny fuzzball.

reallyrose wrote: »
    My boyfriend says that our current cat (who, to be fair, is very misanthropic) will tear an adult cat apart because it won't have a "kitten smell"

Thoughts?

Kittens are lovely but they're only kittens for 5 minutes and they poop everywhere. I'd like to rescue an adult animal who mightn't have all the options of a tiny fuzzball.

I think it depends on the cat tbh. We have 4 cats, Felix was the first to arrive and he loved being an only child.:D Jazzy was a feral kitten when he started showing up and he gradually accepted him. Toby was an adult when he arrived in the garden and that was major trouble but he was coming and going and it might have been different if we'd had him indoors in a safe room and done slow gradual introductions, like we did when we brought Poppy home.

We had a foster kitten for about 6 months and Felix despised her. Wanted nothing to do with her and just hissed at her whenever she went near him. It really does depend on your own cats personality. At best our 4 tolerate each other. I know some people have cats who love each other and snuggle up and wash each other, but the reality is most cats don't do that. Your own cat might not be too keen on a kitten swinging out of them. Molly, our foster kitten used to hang off Jazzy and he loved playing with her but in small doses.

• Advertisement

Thoughts?

Totally cat dependant. Back when we had our first cat, we adopted a tiny kitten from the local SPCA and Tigger would attack her at every given opportunity. We ended up with no other choice but to give the kitten back for her own safety. Given Tigger was female, this really surprised my folks - they assumed a female cat would mother a kitten!
    Plenty of adult kitten cats available for rehoming, ie about a year old still with kitten qualities but big enough to take after themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

I think that totally depends on the cats tbh. We have three that get on very well together but Kovu and Squeak are thick as thieves. I even noted that she will call for him to go hunting together :eek:
    It wasn't easy at first though, Squeak was preggers when we introduced them although we're still unsure if he was the father of them or not as he had been allowed to wander a bit before he got snipped. (Dad wasn't a fan of cats in the house so despite my protests he was put out during the day)
    Kovu just seemed to put up with all the attacks and swipes he got and continually pressed her to see how close he could get to her and the kittens. Knew they would all work out when I seen all four of them lumped into the one box together!

It would be so nice if you could take an adult cat, they're so often looked over in shelters in favor of the cutsey kittens and they really don't deserve it. Perhaps if you explain the situation to them, they could advise which cats are solitary/friendly which would be a massive help in finding one to suit.

Swanson has cat based friends in the area - he usually will go up to a new cat and be more "hello" than "I must murder you". But recently, he's had a war with a new stray that appeared.

Hmm. I can hardly take him to the shelter and as him what he thinks.

I'd love an adult cat that has a settled personality. I'll give your feedback to my boyfriend and see if he's swayed. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,016 ✭✭✭✭tk123

gah! Bailey was in the bushes yesterday evening and woke me up crying at 5:00am to go out to the loo and then had another explosion on the way to the park. Had to get him in the river swimming to clean him off and then I had a dilemma of whether to leave the puddle or go back with the watering can and brush (which I did)...he'd gone in the gutter at the side of a the road - his preferred spot where he can give me a heart attack waiting for a car to come!!! He's had another one since I came to work - asked my mum to let him out the front so he could do it in front of all the neighbors lol!! Ages since he had an episode like this - I'm very careful about what I give him so god only knows what he found and ate when I wasn't looking!

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Cocolola

I did it!!

After moving into our new place more than a year ago, I finally got brave/fed up enough of a neighbour letting his dogs poo in our front garden and am just after hand delivering him the poo one of them left there now (in a little baggy of course!) :D He was not expecting it at all and did apologise in fairness, but still :mad: It's a small estate of 14 houses and twice a day every day he brings them on a walk up to our houses at the end. He pretends to be looking the other way when they go.

I've wanted to do this for ages but have always been too shy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

We now have 4 cats reallyrose, Jake lived with his brother for 7 years, was very shy, his brother died suddenly and he seemed lost, we got a pup at the same time and they got on great, then we adopted an adult male cat of approx 5 years, Toby was fine with dog, himself and Jake kind of ignored each other but got on ok, shortly after we got another pup, everyone fine. Then I took in a couple of kittens, dogs and Jake love kittens, Toby hates them with a passion. Every time I took in kittens to rehome, Toby hated them. One stayed and he finally accepted her at 8 months old, they became best friends but sadly she was killed on the road, two more kittens have stayed since then, both he only accepted once they were about 8 months or so. He still hates kittens. Jake meanwhile loves everyone regardless of age or species. Two younger girls play together often, but none curl up together except Jake and youngest girl.
    Currently we have a 14, 12, 2 and 1 year old cats, 6 and 7 year old dogs.
    Entirely depends on the animal is what I am trying to say.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Do you know something, I really love my dogs, but they are being so f#@#@#g annoying today.

angeldaisy wrote: »
    Do you know something, I really love my dogs, but they are being so f#@#@#g annoying today.

Mine had me up at 5:00 to bring Bailey to the loo - Lucy coming out too of course :othen were back up the stairs in my bed before I had the door closed and looked at me like I was mad for telling them to get up to go on a walk! :pac: Bailey seems to be fine now thank god!! I gave them each a big chunk watermelon rind there so hopefully it doesn't come back to bite them and me in the a$$ :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I've been away visiting a friend for the last week and I can't wait to get home tomorrow. Partially to vote, and partially because I'm having major cat withdrawals. Even though I know the little bxtards will completely ignore me when I'm home I'm still going to force some cuddles out of them!!

Thanks for all your comments, people.

I'll think about it carefully and then get an adult cat. I'm sure it'll be fine!
    Swanson will get used to it. He's very stupid, after a month, he'll think the other cat was always there.

Anyway, I asked him last night and he said "marp!" *knead knead knead* "prrrrrmrrp"

*shops for possible cats on adoption sites*

Thanks for all your comments, people.

I'll think about it carefully and then get an adult cat. I'm sure it'll be fine!
    Swanson will get used to it. He's very stupid, after a month, he'll think the other cat was always there.

Anyway, I asked him last night and he said "marp!" *knead knead knead* "prrrrrmrrp"

*shops for possible cats on adoption sites*

Fostering might be something to think about. You'd be helping a rescue as well as the cat and if the foster and your own cat get on then you could adopt.

Found my first kitten of the season last night, at 1.45am on a country road at least half a mile from nearest house. I nearly ran it over in the middle of the road, stopped and searched but no sign of any others or mother cat. She's about 6 weeks and definitely used to being handled :(

She's settled in the bathroom, well fed with a heat pad for warmth. I'm a sucker I know, but once she's wormed and fed up a bit, I think I'll home her easily.

Pics now in the photo thread!

My little baby is 2 today! :D

I cat believe she's two already!
    Happy birthday Lucy.x

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

tk123 wrote: »
    My little baby is 2 today! :D

My niece sent me a pic this morning of our old GR Elvis as a puppy, his birthday was yesterday! Born in 1997 though!

• Advertisement

I can't believe she's two either!! I think this time around we were able to enjoy her being a puppy more than we did with Bailey - she was/is so relaxed and chilled out - no dry food hyphens etc etc so we weren't waiting for the day when she'd grow up and calm down a bit - she was already calm!

Anyways I spend months stressing out that the boot is too small for the dogs and that poor Bailey is being crushed to one side by Lucy (my last suv was a LOT bigger than this one so had way more space), trying different combos of seats up and down, figuring out if I can afford to get a bigger car one etc etc.. Eventually I decide to try a crate for Lucy which she loves - gets in the boot via the step no hassle and Bailey is happy to have his space back... He's been crying in the car lately and couldn't figure out what he wanted until this morning - he managed to stretch his car harness strap as far as possible and climb into the crate on top of her lol!! He got out after a few mins though! :p

I've got Felix booked in at the vets on Wednesday to get his ear checked. He's been shaking his head and rubbing the ear, plus he's being a total git to the others which is usually a sign that the bit of polyp they can't get in his ear is bugging him. I'm really hoping it's not polyp related, just mites. The poor cat has had enough of having his ear poked and prodded over the years. :(

I got another new tattoo today, I really am a glutton for punishment! For Those who have said before that pain is putting them off the idea, never ever get your ribs done! I've sat for hours in the past without a problem on other areas, had to ask for a break after 20 mins of this one. Verrrrry painful :O

I got another new tattoo today, I really am a glutton for punishment! For Those who have said before that pain is putting them off the idea, never ever get your ribs done! I've sat for hours in the past without a problem on other areas, had to ask for a break after 20 mins of this one. Verrrrry painful :O

Tattoos are like babies. If you want one, and get one, you forget how sore they are and get another, and another, and possibly another.
    And people who never had one or don't want one will think you are utterly mad :pac:

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Tattoos are like babies. If you want one, and get one, you forget how sore they are and get another, and another, and possibly another.
    And people who never had one or don't want one will think you are utterly mad :pac:

It's true! Every time I get one I'm like, I'm done now, never again. Then I see something pretty or something meaningful and I have to have it :P

It's true! Every time I get one I'm like, I'm done now, never again. Then I see something pretty or something meaningful and I have to have it :P

I only have one tattoo, but have had work done three times. First was the center piece, and that was meant to be all of it, but I got a small piece added to it when I was getting it redone, and then another piece shortly after that. It started out 2 x 2 inches on my inner forearm, now it stretches from my wrist to just past my elbow :pac:
    I desperately want another but can't until after this baby comes out, and as far as I know, most places won't tattoo you if you bf, so will have to see - might get one done after the wedding next year :pac:

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    I only have one tattoo, but have had work done three times. First was the center piece, and that was meant to be all of it, but I got a small piece added to it when I was getting it redone, and then another piece shortly after that. It started out 2 x 2 inches on my inner forearm, now it stretches from my wrist to just past my elbow :pac:
    I desperately want another but can't until after this baby comes out, and as far as I know, most places won't tattoo you if you bf, so will have to see - might get one done after the wedding next year :pac:

Oh wow, that must look really cool! I'd love to have tattoos on my arms but so far all of mine are easily hidden, have to find a secure job first :P as far as I know no place will tattoo when pregnant/bf because your body will react differently - even when auntie flo is visiting it an effect how your body takes to the tattoo with swelling and stuff, it's fascinating really!

Totally off-topic of nice things, but just saw a lady on a Louth selling page on FB offering her male dog for stud at an undisclosed price. But get this, he doesn't have papers.

But it's alright, because he's a perfect example of the breed. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Spanner thrown into the works, new puppy might be a different breed than I had been currently seeking. The original plan might be happening again and a lot earlier than I was intending, yeeepers. :o

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Advertisement

The little kitten I found is getting stronger by the day, today she learned to jump off the bed onto the duvet on the floor, meep to be lifted back up and repeat!

Very cute, daughter now calling her professor applesauce!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement