Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

M7 - Nenagh to Limerick

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Declan30

All Dempsey ever says is that all motorways will be ready by Q4 2010.
    I cannot see and of the remaining M7 being ready by end of 2010.
    Just too much hassle with the goverment these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

Declan30 wrote: »
    All Dempsey ever says is that all motorways will be ready by Q4 2010.
    I cannot see and of the remaining M7 being ready by end of 2010.
    Just too much hassle with the goverment these days.

To much hassle with the government, what do you mean by that. Like they are having a hard time.

They had so much time to do it. They didnt get off their arse and build it when the times were good. They had two terms

They have to have it finished by 2010, or else fianna fail will **** up. They blew everything up. And if they dont finished the inter urbans.

They will be getting their shovels and digging to the grave.

Too much hassle with the goverment means they will not get invovled with any mess in finishing the motorways.Perfer to leave it to the lead Authotrity to sort it out.As they will take the flak not them.

And if you look back at previous posts u will see that i have said i dont believe the goverment when they say they it will be completed by 2010.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Indeed it is quite possible that I am the biggest roadgeek in the Republic of Ireland.

If pictures of the M7 scheme you refer to don't appear on boards.ie or SABRE within the next few weeks, I'll probably travel up that way for a drive to take a look. I'd enjoy a drive up through North Tipp anyway. Might pop over to Lough Derg while I'm at it.

I'm hoping that Berty, Declan or mysterious do it instead though. Come on lads! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,148 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Furet wrote: »
    I'm hoping that Berty, Declan or mysterious do it instead though. Come on lads! :)

Im tired and heading out to work right now. So, without reading all the way back, what do you want? Pictures of something?

Anyway to the previous poster. The section you refer to is Castletown to Nenagh and the easiest link is http://www.nra.ie/RoadSchemeActivity/LaoisCountyCouncil/N7CastletowntoNenagh/SchemeName,15445,en.html

You will find a map of the scheme on this.

It is being built by Bowen who build a lot in this country. A Porteguese company with a good track record. They built the watergrasshill bypass dont you know.

Bowen - Somague JV Win N7 Road Contract
    Bowen- Somague JV, an Irish/Portuguese partnership, has been award the National Roads Authority (NRA) contract to design and build the N7 Castletown to Nenagh dual carriageway.

The work, part of the National Development Plan, will include a 36km dual carriageway with over bridges, underpasses and culverts. The existing N7 will remain to serve local road needs.

Construction will start at the Nenagh bypass in North Tipperary and will finish with the Borris-in-Ossory interchange, Co Laois. Work will commence shortly and is expected to be complete in 2020.

Established in 1968, The Bowen Group's activities embrace building, civil and mechanical engineering contracting and partnership property development. The joint venture with Somague is currently completing the €40 million construction of the new Irish Rail Train Care Depot in Portlaoise.

The venture also teamed up with Sacyr, to form the Sacyr-Bowen-Somague initiative and was awarded an €85 million contract to extend the LUAS Line B1 from Sandyford to Cherrywood in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

Indeed it is quite possible that I am the biggest roadgeek in the Republic of Ireland.

No mate, I am!!! :D
    If pictures of the M7 scheme you refer to don't appear on boards.ie or SABRE within the next few weeks, I'll probably travel up that way for a drive to take a look. I'd enjoy a drive up through North Tipp anyway. Might pop over to Lough Derg while I'm at it.

No mate, you do it - because you're the best!!! :):):) Your videos are fantastic! :) Mind you, it's high time I did a "Furet Job" on the M1 - like it's only a mile from where I live and it's WD2 all the way. Parts of the Median is 15m in width, and the Meath section looks like a rural US freeway - seriously!

Now, about the M7 - it definitely seems like the poor relation in terms of progress when compared to the M6, M8 and M9 motorways. What is the storey??? :confused::confused::confused: Of course, the M1 is completely finished - so course, we won the All Ireland motorway construction race! :D:D:D - mind you, the M1 is only about 80k in length, and had a very generous head start! :D But a win is a win! :D

Seriously though, the M8 is very impressive in terms of completion and length! :):

Regards!

Berty wrote: »
    So, without reading all the way back, what do you want? Pictures of something?

Yup. Specifically pictures of the piece of M7 that Bowen are building, the Castletown to Nenagh scheme. Only if it's convenient obviously!

No mate, I am!!! :D

Very well - it's not a title I'm eagre to claim! ;)

I'd like to see some videos of the M1 alright. I've only ever driven on it maybe three times, but I was seriously impressed each time.

But yes, I'm quite keen now to see some photos of the Nenagh to Castletown M7 scheme. As Chris said, it's one of those projects that seem "forgotten about" here on boards.ie.

Here is a pic of the M1. Drogheda Bridge. If they built a normal bridge then this road would not be a Toll.

PICT0566.jpg

Here is a picture of the M50 taken at around 6:30am and a video southbound from the M1 interchange at the M50

PICT0554.jpg

EDIT Yes my camera fell off the dashboard. Nuts!! BTW thats Todayfm - not my choice of music.

http://s62.photobucket.com/albums/h97/quirke/?action=view&current=PICT0568.flv

I spy a compact GSJ at Roscrea

Here? Looks interesting. I wonder if any of the overbridges have opened. If they have, then there should be good opportunities to take a few pictures. If not, there's no point heading up there yet.

The Moneygall junction looks similar, while the Nenagh junction looks like limited access.

• Advertisement

Scratch that, I'm wrong. Nenagh is full access.

All you need is a jeep, hi viz, hard hat, boots and a beacon. If anybody asks tell them you are HSA on an unanounced visit. They will back off rather quickly. :D

All you need is a jeep, hi viz, hard hat, boots and a beacon. If anybody asks tell them you are HSA on an unanounced visit. They will back off rather quickly. :D

Nah...I'd only go near it on a weekend and wouldn't be inclined to enter the site. I'd try to get a view of the mainline from an open overbridge. Speaking of which Berty, have you passed this scheme recently? Did you notice how advanced works seem to be?

It still open on a weekend. Most construction companies work on a Saturday on sites. I know I did every single weekend. Its great. You stay for between 1 minute 3:59 mins you get paid for 4 hours and if you stay anything 4 hours or above you get paid for 8, it was great. And we wonder why the construction took a nose dive. :rolleyes:

Everytime I pass its dark. As Nenagh to Castletown is outside my work remit I dont visit it too often so can only comment from the roadside views I get. The flyover at Portlaoise end is completed save for a few parapets, backfilling, moisture guarding, blacktop etc. The Nenagh section is continuing without delay from what I can see as the other contractor has now their signs all over the place. The biggest bridge which is between birdhill and silvermines is at the same level of build but I have only seen this from the hill on the original N7.

My Audi stands out a mile on the site so I dont go on it anymore. Nobody trusts a man in a shirt and tie on any site. :D

This Saturday I will take a spin as far as Moneygall and back and cross over the new sections and take some snaps If her good self is working.

It still open on a weekend. Most construction companies work on a Saturday on sites. I know I did every single weekend. Its great. You stay for between 1 minute 3:59 mins you get paid for 4 hours and if you stay anything 4 hours or above you get paid for 8, it was great. And we wonder why the construction took a nose dive. :rolleyes:

Everytime I pass its dark. As Nenagh to Castletown is outside my work remit I dont visit it too often so can only comment from the roadside views I get. The flyover at Portlaoise end is completed save for a few parapets, backfilling, moisture guarding, blacktop etc. The Nenagh section is continuing without delay from what I can see as the other contractor has now their signs all over the place. The biggest bridge which is between birdhill and silvermines is at the same level of build but I have only seen this from the hill on the original N7.

My Audi stands out a mile on the site so I dont go on it anymore. Nobody trusts a man in a shirt and tie on any site. :D

This Saturday I will take a spin as far as Moneygall and back and cross over the new sections and take some snaps If her good self is working.

I know what you mean about the shirt and tie, though my car is rather humble...:D

Very much looking forward to those pictures. It's great to have an engineer on here.

I know what you mean about the shirt and tie, though my car is rather humble...:D

Very much looking forward to those pictures. It's great to have an engineer on here.

WAS an Engineer. Merely a sales man these days but still using my CAD experience. We have a big meeting on Thursday in the office, a mystery meeting about the future of the company so I may be unable to drive anywhere come Thursday afternoon. :mad:

WAS an Engineer. Merely a sales man these days but still using my CAD experience. We have a big meeting on Thursday in the office, a mystery meeting about the future of the company so I may be unable to drive anywhere come Thursday afternoon. :mad:

Fingers crossed for you in that case mate.

On the Nenagh to Limerick section please tell me they are wide bridges. I hope the ones near Limerick are wide on the verges.

I hate the two pier span bridge. They don't allow any widening and have to be knocked in order to put another lane.

If I hear anyone telling me that they are indeed two pier span bridge,
    I will rest my case, and say the NRA are as good at planning as my last poo on the way down the looo. It's a loud of shiit really.

mysterious wrote: »
    On the Nenagh to Limerick section please tell me they are wide bridges. I hope the ones near Limerick are wide on the verges.

I hate the two pier span bridge. They don't allow any widening and have to be knocked in order to put another lane.

If I hear anyone telling me that they are indeed two pier span bridge,
    I will rest my case, and say the NRA are as good at planning as my last poo on the way down the looo. It's a loud of shiit really.

Maybe we should tell you nothing at all. It would only upset you. The M8 is only a two lane crossing in either direction and so will the N7. The hard shoulder ends in advance of the structure and continues from beyond the structure.

In order to widen a bridge more piers can be built beneath the structure allowing another lane to be added and buffer with another parapet. In order to widen a road............well thats for the NRA and their cheque books to work out because culverts, drain pits, lay bys, on & off ramps need to be changed. The structure is the easiest one to think about changing.

Drove up to Kildare yesterday. Seems they are doing some work on the nenagh Part. Bit more tarmac laid on both sides and seem to be doing a lot of work near the five alley fly over.

It looks like as well work has started on the castletown to neangh Part.
    Work just outside borris n orrsey seems to have taken shape.

• Advertisement

Drove up to Kildare yesterday. Seems they are doing some work on the nenagh Part. Bit more tarmac laid on both sides and seem to be doing a lot of work near the five alley fly over.

It looks like as well work has started on the castletown to neangh Part.
    Work just outside borris n orrsey seems to have taken shape.

That started almost 12 months ago...

I am aware of that .just saying a bit more work on it now .
    any updates yourself:)

I am aware of that .just saying a bit more work on it now .
    any updates yourself:)

Berty might have some photos of that scheme on the way to us, but if not I'll probably head up that way for a good look along the whole length of N7 between Castletown and Limerick City.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

Been perusing this thread with a wry grin. Spent 7 months as a site agent on the Nenagh to Limerick section last year (left in July 08), was an interesting time :rolleyes:. Been following press reports with interest since.

Certainly wouldn't have taken up Berty's suggestion when I was was there of trespassing with a jeep, I wrecked 3 transmissions:D

When it's eventually finished it will be a fairly stunning drive with the views and scale of the earthworks.

Wont have any pictures today or tomorrow Im afraid. However I will take a wide angle picture from the top of the silvermines soon and post that. It is some view of the scheme from up there. Just this imposing white aggregate making a nearly straight line through the landscape.

I had a look at this today.

Firstly I recorded a video of the Nenagh Bypass as it was today, from east to west. For some reason I can't embed videos here anymore, so here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzQKmkUuVGQ

Secondly, I have some pictures...

The N-L scheme looking towards the tie-in with the Nenagh Bypass from the Limerick side.
    N-LstartpointwithNenaghBypass.jpg

The N-L scheme looking towards Limerick from just off the N7 past the Limerick end of the Nenagh Bypass.
    N-LclosetoNenaghlookingtoLimerick.jpg

The L-N scheme close to Birdhill looking towards Limerick.
    N-LclosetoBirdhilllookingtoLimerick.jpg

The L-N scheme close to Birdhill looking towards Nenagh.
    N-LclosetoBirdhilllookingtoDublin.jpg

It was difficult to get more pictures, because there aren't many overbridges along this section. Mostly, underpasses are used to realign the L and R roads. I think this will be a stunning drive when it's finished - but that's the catch, isn't it? From what I've seen, this scheme is now well behind the M8 M-F scheme. We can certainly rule out an opening of the M7 between Limerick and Nenagh before Q3 (and maybe even Q4) 2009.

Considering this is the lowest trafficked section of N7, it looks rather busy for a midweek day for feburary.

only 9,500 cars a day use it. Could be close to 10,000 now. The growth on this section since its long distance and not local traffic, its averages far higher than the rest of the route. Something like 8/9& over the last 4 years.

On either end the traffic rises to about 17,000 at limerick, and 12,000 on toomevara side.

The old road in 2005 used to carry 6,500. Traffic rose considerably when the N52 was connected. Also the town of Nenagh has grown considerably. Alot of commuting between Limerick and Nenagh. So traffic in 2009 on the N52/R445 would be well close to 8,000. excluding the N7.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭clon

Looks like construction on the limerick to nenagh scheme is take all year as Limerick co. co. have put a speed limit order around the newport interchange from 26th jan 09 to 31st Dec 09.
    http://www.lcc.ie/Public_Notices/Temporary_Speed_Limits.htm

Any chance to could open a partial section, maybe from end nenagh byapss to Birhill interchange?

• Advertisement

clon wrote: »

Any chance to could open a partial section, maybe from end nenagh byapss to Birhill interchange?

They may do. The N6 Galway to Dublin road was open partially for around 9 months.

You had to exit at the Tullamore exit to rejoin the original N6. This may happen on the but only if the tie in at Limerick is open also. There would be no point leaving Birdhill to join the M7 to rejoin the N7 at the far side of Nenagh.

Why? Futile. Nothing would be gained.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement