Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Airport Security (again!)

• 17-10-2007 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭

So they go through all this rigmarole about bagging up your liquids, queing forever, taking off your shoes, blah blah blah....but I was allowed to walk through yesterday with 100 needles and 5 syringes full of what is effectively poison (insulin) which I had to pick up in Ireland for someone. It wasn't detected nor has it been any of the times said person has travelled in the past 5 years.
    The whole thing is such a joke. If someone wants to wreck the place, they will.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,343 ✭✭✭✭cson

Medical stuff is exempt afaik. They allowed me bring in a 500ml contact lens solution in my hand luggage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

It may well be exempt, but that doesnt take away from its usefulness in hi-jacking a plane!

Certainly, a big dripping syringe that contains AIDS, a lá the druggies prefered weapon when robbing, would definitely make you think twice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

You should call Joe Duffy and tell him this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

cson wrote: »
    Certainly, a big dripping syringe that contains AIDS, a lá the druggies prefered weapon when robbing, would definitely make you think twice.
    POssibly be stabbed by a syriinge or be on a plane that crashes. I'll take my chances on the syringe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

the first a380 got delivered there recently, imagine that flying into a building

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Jesus. Its HIV not AIDS. AIDS is the illness that comes about as a result of HIV. its 2007 and still ignorance about this:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭DonalN

Jesus. Its HIV not AIDS. AIDS is the illness that comes about as a result of HIV. its 2007 and still ignorance about this:rolleyes:

and you only get it if u catch the ghey first..!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

I was threatened with a bloodfilled sringe once. I told the ****head that if he tried it he wouldn't get out alive. Never saw a guy run as fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

What I can't understand at all, is that it is possible to purchase items made of glass after security checks.
    What If someone decides to hijack a plane armed with shards of glass?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

DonalN wrote: »

No, no, no, no, that's just the bad AIDS!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Naikon wrote: »
    What I can't understand at all, is that it is possible to purchase items made of glass after security checks.
    Sssh!! Don't tell them!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Medical stuff is exempt afaik. They allowed me bring in a 500ml contact lens solution in my hand luggage.
    You are not allowed more than a 100mm bottle of it.

Well I was allowed the 500ml.

Oh and btw I mentioned the syringe in the context of a passenger on a plane using it to hijack a plane. Threatening an air stewardess and the like. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

ciaranfo wrote: »
    POssibly be stabbed by a syriinge or be on a plane that crashes. I'll take my chances on the syringe.

I'd like to think so, but in reality I'd probably hold out in the hopes someone else would do it.

I reckon there's more people like me than heroes.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

DonalN wrote: »

get educated

you have to be ghey and like hug n stuff

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,212 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Why HIV? Why not Ebola? What HIV (that turns to AIDS) does in years, Ebola does in a few days, and unlike HIV, Ebola is highly contageous. Not only that, with Ebola you would not have to inject the victim, just squirt one syringe about the closed air in an inflight plane and everyone that breathes is a candidate for infection. Lovely stuff, eh? Just got through reading an action novel about biohazard weapons that could have been a horror story.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,992 ✭✭✭Wossack

"Just one teaspoon of super-AIDS in your butt and you'll be dead within 3 years."

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

zuutroy wrote: »
    So they go through all this rigmarole about bagging up your liquids, queing forever, taking off your shoes, blah blah blah....but I was allowed to walk through yesterday with 100 needles and 5 syringes full of what is effectively poison (insulin) which I had to pick up in Ireland for someone. It wasn't detected nor has it been any of the times said person has travelled in the past 5 years.

Somehow I can't see an amendment to the Al Queda Training Manual on using those needles to hijack a plane. Are insulin needles not tiny? (less than 5mm long) and they come on a cap. A punch to the face from my 2 year old would probably hurt more than 100 of them stuck in my body.

They aren't going to stop you and explain that those needles are ok to bring in much the same way as they aren't going to stop you to explain that your toothbrush is safe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

The whole security rigmarole is bullsh*t, anyone who really really really want to hijack a plane will manage it no matter what is done. Its just brainless overzealous bureaucracies that come up with this stuff. Was delayed at security at San Francisco airport a few weeks ago because they were x-raying loaves of bread for one of the cafés. In Dublin airport they don't check any of the pallets of supplies for all the duty free shops. Yet the fare-paying public are held up for ages so things like nail files and tweezers can be confiscated.The mind boggles :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

davidoco wrote: »
    A punch to the face from my 2 year old would probably hurt more than 100 of them stuck in my body.

Indeed, but if 0.5ml of insulin happens to pass through it when its stuck in your body you'll be in trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

-Two weeks later-

Zuutroy post topic , Airports at it again , long delays and queus to board my plane !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭MOH

daveirl wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

No, that's insomnia. Smallpox is much worse.
    Well I was allowed the 500ml.

Oh and btw I mentioned the syringe in the context of a passenger on a plane using it to hijack a plane. Threatening an air stewardess and the like. :rolleyes:

Were you specifically allowed it or did they just not notice it?

• Registered Users Posts: 80,740 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

500ml != (100 needles + 5 syringes of Insulin)

you cant attack someone on a plane with lens cleaner (but I'd love to see someone try)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

If you want to take over aplane,get atwo foot piece of perspex,sharpen it to a point and grind and edge onto it...stick it down the back of your cacks when you're going through the metal detector,sit there chuckling to yourself throughout the flight and whip it out and cut up a few pasengers untill the pilot flies you to cuba or wherever.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Why HIV? Why not Ebola? What HIV (that turns to AIDS) does in years, Ebola does in a few days, and unlike HIV, Ebola is highly contageous. Not only that, with Ebola you would not have to inject the victim, just squirt one syringe about the closed air in an inflight plane and everyone that breathes is a candidate for infection. Lovely stuff, eh? Just got through reading an action novel about biohazard weapons that could have been a horror story.:eek:

Ebola only spreads through bodily fluids. It doesnt transmit through the air in the same way the flu does. Thats why it doesnt wreak havoc like the media likes to tell us it can.
    Naikon wrote: »

do you honestly believe that in this day and age (post 9/11) that if some whacko stands up on a plane with a shard of glass in his hand that he can hijack a plane? For a start, we all know that modern day terrorists and suicide bombers put their mission before their life. no one will sit there and not try and stop him, its only a shard of glass FFS!

also the flightdeck door is locked once the airplane's door's are shut. a shard of glass isnt goin to blow it open!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Nothing to stop you from using a shard of obsidian (supposedly fragments to a finer edge than even a surgeon's scalpal) in the end of a melted toothbrush as a knife. Fact is if someone really wants to figure out a way of getting weapons on board a plane they'll find a way. Then what about threatening to take a batch of cyanide pills, in the enclosed air of the plane everyone would be subject to the poisoning, think a brief detour would be preferable to dying to most people.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

Indeed, but if 0.5ml of insulin happens to pass through it when its stuck in your body you'll be in trouble.

And where's the lucozade when you need it. Overpriced and back in duty free.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

I got through with a giant scissors that i forgot was in my bag last weekend.

Stabby Stabby

Advertisement