Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swallowed up in the mist

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭ocnoc

Mothman wrote: »
    I had same leg 4 to 5 and lost time on it. I exited the courtyard fine but headed direct as originally thought there was gap just beyond 5. Was passing playgound when I realised and went back to road.

Whats your opinion on the route of heading back towards 3 and then north through gap to road? From there, simply a long straight run to 5.

My route to 5 was 340m with 4 decelerations
    Going back by 3 is ~310 with 2 decelerations

So, I reckon 10seconds quicker...maybe

1:08 was the fastest split, I was +11sec. Looks like only 1 guy got the correct route, but he stuffed it, leaving the control and running into a dead end.

The beauty of sprint is that if you pick and go, even if your route is not perfect, their will be only a couple of seconds in it.

Looking at your routes, if you ran a few more sprints, I reckon you could lay down some wastage! A bit more aggression/confidence on the micro route choices and the seconds start to be shaved away.
    Just a bit of split compassasion

Leg|MM|ocnoc|Difference
    3-4|0:45|0:28|0:17
    4-5|1:48|1:19|0:29
    5-6|0:19|0:18|0:01
    11-12|0:44|0:35|0:09
    12-13|0:53|0:42|0:11
    13-14|0:29|0:22|0:07
    14-15|0:24|0:18|0:06
    15-16|1:32|1:24|0:08
    17-18|0:41|0:22|0:19
    20-21|0:24|0:24|0:00
    Total|07:49|06:12|01:47

3-4, knock off 10sec
    4-5, knock off 20sec
    17-18, knock off 10sec

Get more clinical in the circle ~1-2sec per leg. Thats suddenly 1:20 quicker and a 4th place finish.
    A lot of irish orienteers are actually pretty dam good at sprint - pitty we don't have more quality maps to get some more races in.

Being invloved in the sharp end of the sprint, i expected to be inside the top 20 for the middle is well.

This did not materialise. In fact - it all went to sh1t.
    I was caught by Roar and then it was a complete hammerfest all the way home with Ger. It was enjoyable due to the burn up at the end.
    Map

Day 3 was the long distance.
    I was orienteering well, was sitting in 21st, had a ~5min fúck up, then came the crash and oh man did I crash bad. I lasted 30mins before my body fell apart.
    It was a long jog home
    Map

The last day was the relay.
    CNOC had two teams
    Long Locks, Ocnoc (Ego 1), Roar
    The Swede, The Boss (Ego 2), The Ginger

It was perfectly set up for a big d*ck measuring competition.
    Swede V Irish Import and Ego 1 V Ego 2.

When I was warming up, I was so pissed off with yesterday I was just going to hammer physically. I knew yesterday was a disgrace and an insult to all the work I had put in with John so I felt the need to rectify it. Not from a mental or orienteering point of view, but from a hill running point of view.
    I could see the concern/fear in Roars eyes as he told me to enjoy the orienteering.

The Swede got in just in front of Long Locks (maybe 30sec) and a hammerfest started between Ego 1 and Ego 2. Ego 2 had the lead going around the two butterflies. Ego 1 and 2 had one eye on the map, one eye on the terrain and the map eye actually on where the other ego was.
    The boss made a break for it leaving the second butterfly and blasted it to control 11. I hammered after him. As he punched 11, he turned back up the hill an was running towards me! (Unknown to me, he missed control 10).

The rest of the course was a hammerfest with the SHUOC (Sheifield Uni O Club) second team. This kept the pace high. A gap was put in that let Roar out well in front. But the Ginger didn't approve and caught Roar! Luckly, the ginger made a mistake and a gap was formed. However, the small bauld man of the Southern Mountains, Marcus Magic Pinker of Cork-O, caught Roar.

Roar, somehow, used his blistering down hill pace to get a gap going to the last control and held him off (while overtaking someone else!) to cross the line in 12th. Get in!!
    Map

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Thanks for your analysis.
    Here's my account of the 3 legs you highlighted plus 2 other legs.

About 90 secs in total for a 2nd place....
    #4 brought me back to earth as I started out on my route I noticed an uncrossable fence in way. I had to retrace and then lost further time locating the flag. About 12 secs lost.
    Again an uncrossable fence got in the way to #5 and I had to retrace. At least 20 secs lost. Perhaps best route was retrace back towards #3 and out to road.
    At #18 I over ran my navigation. I was almost on top of control when I decided I was heading towards other hill and so turned back to where I thought my control would be to find what I punched was not the right one. I then saw my control. 15 secs lost

The other 2 I had issues with was your 13 and one near end just past the skateboard park.
    15 secs lost at #9 with missing the route into control after going through dense vegetation. Perhaps would have been best to have accessed control from the direction that I left it towards #10
    For #19 there was a skate park in the way. I didn’t know that the green found on sprint maps is private land. I had it in my head that it was for vegetation that is not to be crossed, such as gardens. I thought the skate park was the paved area on map and knowing that I needed to be north of this area, proceded to go north around it and then hit the river. With this the penny dropped. So had to relocate and plot the route to 19. 30 secs lost

There were quite a few top 10 Irish finishers down through the classes. There is certainly talent amongst us.
    the small bauld man of the Southern Mountains
    :D
    He's nearly as old as me and you lot are stilling trailing in his wake. tut tut, does the truth hurt?

I finished weekend with a feeling what might have been, but also came away with confidence and a better know how of tackling technical areas, the like of which I haven't experienced in recent years.

you lot are stilling trailing in his wake. tut tut, does the truth hurt?

Your forgetting he also got knocked off his bike and was almost killed.
    He is Irelands best technical orienteer and a complete terrain monster.
    He does all of his running on trails and in terrain. He doesn't do anything on the roads and has no top end speed.

Does it hurt? It always hurts when you lose!
    If it didn't hurt to lose, then I clearly wouldn't be putting in enough effort to win.

National 10k

So I ran the National 10k instead of Wicklow Lakes....
    I'll go get my coat and leave now

Club said they needed me so I said fine.. if ye insist.
    Unsure how to describe a road race.

Went off controlled, went though 5km in 16:06, still controlled.
    Kept on hammering, everything is fine. The hurt began to come on. Brian Furey went by me, I slipped in behind him.
    My legs fell off trying to get out of the Furry Glen at any speed. The last km took a long time to end. I could see the clock tick from 32:59 to 33:00 and I swore silently inside.

Suppose can't be too pissed as I haven't run on roads since... my debut in 2007.

Went to jog home but I remembered I had a slight pain in my foot running down the Kyber that I forgot about. Turns out I split my runner and the sole was cutting into my foot. Got 1,000 miles out of a pair of racers, win!

It was a long 4km walk home.
    Legs now sore. Left foot contains a very nasty blister.

In other racing news - Roar is a ********.
    Final league table here. One single feckin point. ONE!!!! GAWHHHH

• Advertisement

ocnoc wrote: »
    National 10k

So I ran the National 10k instead of Wicklow Lakes....
    :eek: I'm speechless....
    Got 1,000 miles out of a pair of racers, win!
    Everything a win or lose ;)
    In other racing news - Roar is a ********.
    Final league table here. One single feckin point. ONE!!!! GAWHHHH
    Mullaghmeen in 2 weeks.....not going?
    A place that would suit your speed and make up that point....

I mispunched yesterday, visited 11 twice instead of 5 & 11. I think first time I've ever mispunched! I'm usually careful in checking codes but had made map reading error, so was in a pickle anyway. Glad to get around though considering ankle. It held up well. Took it easy on anything but good paths, particularly on downhills. I think I'm still tired from JK, just the one tired run during week.

Roads suck. I'm still sore.

Also interesting to note, my average HR was lower in the National 10k then it was at the JK Sprint.

@Mothman: Check your codes :P You tend to do it a couple of times in Ireland, the you do it abroad or at a really important race and it doesn't happen again :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

National 10kTurns out I split my runner and the sole was cutting into my foot. Got 1,000 miles out of a pair of racers, win!

Time to buy those Inov-8s!

Got me a pair of Asics DS Racers.
    I made a call of if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Tonelagee should be fun tomorrow... fun being the wrong word.

Everyone makes mistakes.
    Only sometimes, you don't realise its a mistake until after you made it.

On Saturday, I ran Tonelagee and the Lake. Ran, not raced. I decided it would be a nice stretch of the legs and sure wouldn't me and the Long lad run it twice and it'd be a grand ould 2 hour run.
    So we rocked up to Wicklow Gap and I was all "no, not racing, just going for a wee jog".
    Race kicked off and the pace was slow. I was sitting in the middle of the pack. Watching the leaders slowly pull away... so slowly it gave me enough time to debate shedding my extra outer layers and ripping it off after them.
    Accidently, I think I upped my pace just thinking about racing. Looking around for the Long lad he was nowhere to be seen. I stopped and let him catch up - it was meant to be a socialable run anyways. A couple of concerned call outs from people asking was I ok and one horrified looking Ro who thought I had wrecked something!
    Thats what I like about IMRA. I reckon if I had done myself an injury, more than one person would have given up their race to help me get back to the road. I'm unsure what words to use. Camaraderie maybe(?), regardless of where you are in the field.
    Plod plod plod up the mountain. Pointing out some bits and pieces to people that might aid them to get up the mountain quicker.

Coming up to the summit, I saw someone drop a bag. Didn't think much of it Aat first. Just ignored it. Waited for Roar at the summit, having a wee auld chat to Aidan. Views very fantastic, if a bit windy.

Roar arrives and we drop off the edge. The couple of minuites we lost to people climbing, we suddenly make back up in seconds as we skip down the muddy/rocky/heathery drop. I said it last year, and I'll say it again. Mountain running bliss! On route down, I tried to coach or point out lines to as many people as I could, all the time making sure I didn't snot myself as the Long lad was beginning to stretch his legs. Around the lake, we got a smile out of the handiness of being orienteers when it comes to sloppy stuff. Then up the b*stard of a climb back up Tonelagee. While walking (it was meant to resemble a slow jog) up it, all I could think about was how bloody hard did I push this climb last year (8:00 179 -v- 11:00 156).

At the top, I again clicked the watch and waited for the Long lad. He was hurting when things go vertical. On reaching the top, we just run off the summit. Putting serious time into those that were with us. The horror on the Long lads face was funny. He couldn't believe how technically poor some of the other imra guys were. Needless to say the topic of conversation then went to the difference between the shrap end (neck and neck, trying to learn peoples weakness and how to break them) to the middle packers (running in isolation. Larger gaps in peoples strengths. Traffic jams etc).
    All in all, it was a fantastic run. Most enjoyable company through out.
    Then for some sadistic reason, I finished and did an about turn. The Long lad bailed after 100m. He was trashed.
    Meanwhile I contuined my lonely plod back up. Meet the usual folks coming down. A wee bit of encouragement whispered to people as they went by :rolleyes:
    Meet Don coming down and was raging I didn't get to the summit in time to cheer him off it.
    Landed on the summit in time for Mick Kellet (the legend) to come through.
    Debated doing a run down towards Brockagh to check up on a father and son that got into a little bit of trouble but Aidan said they would be fine.
    Cruised off the summit with the wind whistling, now a cloud touching the mountains and chatting about how awesome IMRA is.
    What more can ya want from a Saturday morning run.

Sunday.
    National Road Relays.

I did not enjoy this. At all. Not sure why. I generally enjoy racing.
    I was all set to run the last two mile, but a mix up in logistics meant I ran the 3mile leg (it was a long 3miles... hit 5k by the garmin and double checked it with mapmyrun).
    Set off behind Jasion Reid and he kept the gap steady. Clicked off the first km in 3:03 and had the plan to contuine motoring. However, my body and brain had a different thought process going. I was fairly isolated during the race and hammering along on a cement road surrounded by buildings and cars isn't my ideal terrain. My km times then began to wobble and a bad 2nd km of 3:20 showed I clearly started too hard and my enthusiasm for a fight dropped off.
    A guy I beat in the National 10k caught me and we ran should to shoulder for the next 2 and a bit km, he clearly wanted to get me back for dropping him on the hills in Phoenix Park. His breathing thoughout was far heavying and erratic than mine. As we rounded the last corner, I shifted through the gears and got away easily. Got to the line first but there was no final leg runner for the club so I stepped off the track. The final leg running arrived after the race was finished. He was more gutted than any of us. Watch out for a sub 70 half come Nationals.

So that was the weekend. A run in the mountains that should have being a murderfest and a race on the roads that should have being a long run in the mountains. Sh!t happens.

I guess I remembered why I race in the mountains again. Its actually a race. Its not just a time trial around a housing estate. Then again. Some of my races in the mountains turn into a time trial - the more recent being the Wicklow Way last year. Maybe in the mountains, there is more to focus on that just turning over my legs at the same cadence, putting one leg in front of the other. In the mountains you have to use all the information that is available to you to make sure you get around the course as quickly as possible. Is that slight dip in the heather to your left a small bog hole? A hollow? or is it a sheep track? That line of peat hags up ahead, can you find the shortest line through the maze or are you straight lining it?

Now stick a map into the equation. All the data you needed to pick the fastest lines, while flat out, you v you, catching your 3min man, dropping him, distractions left and right.
    Road racing, a mental mindset to help prepare for WOC Sprint. A necessary evil.
    Mountain racing, a mental mindset to help prepare for WOC Long. One of the sick pleasures in life.

Bring on the O.
    Selection races 5 weeks 5 days and counting.

• Advertisement

teams that rock up into town, tie up the horse, spit on the dog, and leave without a word

This got quoted to me the other day.
    Got me fairly motivated.

Mullaghmeen Map.
    Ran hard. Got beaten. Annoyed.
    Map lacked consistancy with the brambles. Straight to 15 (through the brambles) was clean, going around was hidious!

The AAI National 10k results are out, and they are wrong.
    Long live the AAI. Death to IMRA and the IOA :P

Mullaghmeen Map.
    Ran hard. Got beaten. Annoyed.
    Same here, well not the annoyed bit, :) thought I'd been quicker, but I was lacking on the hills, perhaps a little tired from training. Note my errors, I had an almost clean run. Missed 6 by 5m, (ran right by it!) peripheral vision out of glasses is bad and the 2nd depression at 8 stumped me because it was hidden by the route line
    Map lacked consistancy with the brambles. Straight to 15 (through the brambles) was clean, going around was hidious!
    Pretty bad there alright. I was going round as I usually avoid brambles like the plague but saw an opening and went. Hit brambles where the map said clear....

Its difficult to sum up the past month in terms of racing.
    There have being highs and low and moral crushing exams.

Since Mullaghmeen my life revolved around my thesis.
    That got put to bed and it was off to Inch Strand to race at the Irish Orienteering Champs Relay. The boys gave me a +5min lead and I threw it away with sloppy orienteering and unused legs. Sh!t happens.

Then it was into the auld exams.
    Mid way through exams I went south and ran the Leinster 10k

From my training log
    Leinster Senior Road Championships.

Ken really wanted a team, so I said I'd give them a lash.

Went off slightly harder than intended. Ken and some DSD guy went off for the fight for gold, I was in the pack for 3rd.
    Some LV dude was out in front, a pack formed on my shoulder and we hunted him down. Caught him at 3k and the pace settled. John Canning (Newbridge AC) went off the front and caught Catch Grennin (Tullamore) and it was game on as my bunch tried to reel them in. Going through 5km, it was strung out in a straight line.
    I jumped out of the line and pushed the pace as we dropped down the hill.
    Catch came back to us and I knew that someone in this group could take 3rd. John was still a bit in front but catchable. At around 7.5k, Catch went for it again and the group splintered. The group I was in was now every man for himself. Everyone knew they could medal but we were running out of time. As the distance ticked down, I knew we couldn't catch John and Catch was looking difficult.
    It ended up being a 3 horse race for 5th. I got dropped going up the hill at 9km, but managed to get back Darren Spring of LV as we neared the end. Couldn't catch the other guy. Maybe 5m in it at the end.

Ken won (31:59), Canning 3rd (33:36), mise 6th.
    Turned out Phil dropped out injured. Bit ****, but there things happen.

Happy with how the day went. More positives than negatives, ever if the time is a bit ****.

Splits
    3:03, 19, 18, 48, 15, 21, 19, 34, 38, 24

Exams ended and a 1.5 Mile TT was the order of the day
    Bashed out 7:33. Nothing to write home about.

Then it was off to Scotland for the Irish World Champs Selection races.

Friday evening was an awesome run around Craigendarroch. A small beautiful forest on the edge of the Cairngorms.

Saturday was the Long Distance of Death. 19.5km with 960m of the vertical stuff. Just didn't have the legs for it following my 8 weeks of nothingness during my exams. Map.

Sunday dawned bright and windy. Awesome conditions for a shake out while racing the Scottish Relay Championships. I was running on a mix match Irish team that was entered for the craic! I had a solid run, but kept it easy on the climbs given I still had two races to go in the selection races.

382434_378193978895146_1066079552_n.jpg

Map, beautiful forest. Can't fault the planning either. Good gaffles and great head to head racing.

With that done and done, it was show time for the Irish WOC Sprint Selection race. This was the race I wanted to win and I wanted to win well. I wasn't planning on any sort of second place.

tbc

With the Sprint race selection up for grabs, as far as I was concerned, it was show time. Time to unleash everything in a perfectly controlled race that was perfection and to put Mr. S in his place and place myself number 1 on the Squad list for Selection.

It kicked off with the usual quarantine where everyone is housed so the start is hidden. Just like the Worlds. Warmed up, felt rough, so I knew things were good.
    Through the start box. Control codes, jog to the start. Around the bend and into the open area. Spectators to my left. Map in front. Start kite in front again.
    3. Hand on map and emit on the start. 2. eyes glued to the clock. 1. Heart is racing. 0. Legs start turning, heart rate is up. Running down the funnel. Scanning the map. I can't locate the start on the map. Where the fuxk is the start triangle. I see number 10 and work my way back. Suddenly I'm at the start kite. I still haven't found the start on the map. The printing is faint. I see the triangle and try to get my barings. My world has stopped. After an age, I still haven't figured out where I am meant to be going.

Panic, Panic. I stood still for 20-25 seconds. These were the longest that I can remember. Eventually, I just ran off in a random direction. As I was running, things clicked and I knew where I was meant to be going. Needless to say, I still made a hash of things.
    I got into the flow and began to run reasonably well. I had 1 nasty overshoot on 17, costing me a further 30sec, but, thats life. In the end, I finished 2nd Irish behind Nick. I was bitter, pissed off and just plain angry.

Map part 1 and part 2.

Tuesday was the Middle selection.
    To save excess typing on my behalf, I am just going to copy paste my log
    Orienteering Race (SOC Middle) 40:06 mins
    6.66 km (6:01 / km) +190m 5:16 / km
    ahr:174 max:184 spiked:16/23c shoes: Inov8 Oroc 230

So this race was really fun.
    Few misses and not perfect lines and was dropping seconds left right and center, but I felt as if I had good running speed.
    For a lot of it I was running slightly too fast for my map reading to keep up but I held it together mostly.
    Probably could have run straighter lines in places, but I was trying to make line features out of stuff to keep running speed up more so that trying to go point to point.

I got sloppy at the end and my splits take a dive after control 14 where I decided that I was getting tired. After 19, I just lost all confidence for some reason and took silly lines to 20 and a tour of the world to 21.

Fairly happy, but nothing to write home about. Lack of any sort of O showed.
    1- 40sec, 2 - 10sec, 12 - 10sec, 15 - 20sec, 20 - 30sec, 22 - 30sec

Map

It was a super cool sanddune/ thick forest map with crap visibility. Just plain auld good fun.

575928_378195622228315_1670530413_n.jpg

Onwards to Swiss!!! Sprint, Middle and Relay. Its gona be great!

Anyone want to sponsor a penny-less student? :D

Congrats on your selection. While I see you had bigger goals, esp with regard to sprint, but getting to WOC must have bottom line? And this was achieved.
    And what better place to upstage Mr. S ;)

I have always thought that the start triangle should be on the map that you look at at -2 min. It should not be an O skill to locate this.

Congrats on your selection. While I see you had bigger goals, esp with regard to sprint, but getting to WOC must have bottom line? And this was achieved.
    And what better place to upstage Mr. S ;)

I have always thought that the start triangle should be on the map that you look at at -2 min. It should not be an O skill to locate this.

Cheers. Getting to WOC is step one. Step 2 is qualifying for the Final. While step 3 is written down on a little piece of paper that sits in botton of a press in my room.
    Before you can complete step two, you must first complete step one.
    Although I believe step 3 is possible, there is first the problem of making the final, which is by no means easy. A lot of fitness, a technically solid race and a little help from Lady Luck will help with that.

It appears to be ingrained within the juniors that you must go to Scandi if you want to make a final. I hope that mindset will be changed in the coming years.

I think my reason for making the mistake at the start kite was not seeing a copy of the map in the start box. Usually you see the map you will receive in the box and you can figure out where the start will be and then you can get a general idea of where you are headed - but not in this case. I didn't realise this until after when I was wondering why I made such a hash of the start/first control.
    Its not an O skill to find the start kite, but it is to orientating yourself under extreme pressure.

The race of the season, 2 weeks and counting, that I have busted my ass for 3 years to make and all motivation is gone.
    4 days of nothing after a trip to training mecha off the west coast

Map 1
    Map 2

Quality long run in the mountains.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/194696066

Doing what I do best

391359_10151923429300541_224140529_n.jpg
    Not overly happy.

563331_10151929432210541_1035158381_n.jpg
    Pretty dam satisfied to be honest.

Maps attached

• Advertisement

I realise it is nearly always a bad thing to reflect on a championships before it ends but I feel as if I should get some things down before I forget.

When I finished the sprint race, I was stunned into shock. I couldn't believe how far behind I was. I was convinced that I would be top 20 at least. Instead, I was behind the last qualifier by a hideous 1:20min in 29th position. I was shocked into a day of silence. I thought I was fast enough and would be technically sound enough to cruise in but this was not the case.
    The sprint was technically very easy and in the end it was just a burn up. I also had the misfortune of taking some less than ideal routes. **** happens.
    I reckon now that you need a sub 15min 5km, or to be more accurate a 14:30min 5km to make the final and do well... this is assuming you have a technically sound race.

Going into the Middle qualification I was lucky enough to have "the boss" travel down from Germany to give me some motivation and to keep things from getting too serious. This had an effect to the extreme!
    I was in the pre start, wondering why in the name of god I was doing at it. I wasn't going to qualify and I was just going to make a show of myself. I didn't want to race. I would have being happy to be as spectator. My caring was at level zero.

I went off for a walk onto the model map and tried to get myself pumped.
    Nothing. My HR didn't even blip. As I walked back towards the start, my feelings were mixed between I am not a middle distance runner and if I was so far behind in the sprint after a year of dedicated training, why am I even bothering to run the middle.
    I rocked up and walked into the pre start. I collected my thoughts and went through the motions. On, the start line I said fúck it. Just run it and get it over with then I can crawl back into my hole and beat myself up for 24 months.

Hand on shoulder. Clock ticks down. Map in hand and we're gone. Running out of the start box, one of the guys fell and suddenly my adrenaline reserve went into overdrive. I just began to orienteer. Watching my compass, picking good micro lines in terrain, picking out the "go round track and hammer" routes. I just went back to basics naturally. I wasn't thinking, it was just happening. Any time I was on a track, I was hammering, and any time I used a track I had a solid attackpoint and was in general, nailing controls.

I had a few small misses in the circle where the kite was hidden in the dense veg but apart from that, I am happy out.
    I ended up throwing the kitchen sink at it. Hit the wrong control/boulder at 12 which was was my only "mistake". It was just an enjoyable hammerfest.
    That run in also went on for ever.

Its by far the best middle distance race this year.. After not wanting to race at all, I am happy out.
    I was 28th at the Radio (control 7) and 23rd in the finish.
    Was +11:14 down on TG (who won by a minute) and +5:25 off qualifying.

I was pleasantly surprised with my run. I never expected to get the best Irish result in the Middle Distance this year, and I cut the distance in half to what I was behind the British Selection race winner. So all very positive.

I also realised that the best way for me to approch a big race is to just ignore it. Don't get excited, don't get pumped, just roll with it and what happens happens.
    The training is already done, if the work is in, you'll get the result. The best races come from those that you don't over-try.
    I believe my biggest problem at previous competitions has being over trying and caring too much.

The attitude of just going out and enjoying it definitely fits my head the best.
    The sprint was a harsh harsh lesson to learn, but the middle showed me why I love the sport so much to travel the world chasing points.

I am running the relay tomorrow morning.
    Second leg. I'll probably have a live GPS on me if some one is interested.

http://www.tulospalvelu.fi/gps/
    Click on "WOC Relay Men Leg 2 21.07.2012 WOC2012"
    The link is not currently live. All first leg teams have a GPS and most second leg teams will have one. Hopefully, I'll get to strut my stuff running clean and fast through Swiss forest in the World Championship relay.

Bring it :)

Well. That was horrific!

Nick is a complete BEAST!!!! BEAST

Nick ran with the main pack, in fact, he didn't just run with the main pack, he took the lead in the main pack running with guys that have WOC medals.

When Nick came into the arena, he was with the pack.
    I have never being so afraid in my life.

I was ushered into the change over pen with guys that I dream about being even within 10% of. A GPS was slipped into my vest and I was left there shaking like a leaf in a Gaelforce 10 storm of death.

I completely and utterly shat my pants. I was behind Thierry Gueorgiou, the King! the man with 10 World Orienteering Championship Titles, to name but one of the people in the pen.

Nick came in and I just shouted "Nick you complete f*cking hero. That was a f*cking hero of a run". Live on Swiss TV... Woops!

He told me to relax and run my own race. Easy to say, not so easy to do when my HR was 160 standing still.
    I ran out the run out and just ran my own race. I was scrappy and leaked lots of time. No big mistakes but lots of smaller errors that all add up to the guts of 10mins. In hindsight, I should have dumped him advice and just did what I did in the middle. Just pick go around routes and hammer. Instead, I went straighter and was afraid to run out of my comfort zone to run with teams that over took me....

Very upsetting. Out in 15th, back in 28th.
    The numbers speak for themselves.

Welcome to the horror show that is WOC Relay running.

Maps from the Worlds

Pre Sprint Training
    Sprint Qualification

Middle Qualification Model
    Middle Qualification

Middle Final Model
    Swiss O Week Day 3 (across the road from Middle Final)

Relay Model
    Relay Leg 2
    Live Tracking from Leg 2

Its being a week since WOC ended. A steeple chase that I jogged around, a walk for the points for the club.
    For some stupid reason I did a 10miler up to Table track from the Glen. It was very enjoyable in the rain but probably a little bit far.

I'm just resting up the body but more importantly I am recovering mentally. Haven't done any O related activity.
    I'll probably just be doing a few easy miles over the next few days and give myself time to bounce back.

Seems strange for the season to be over so soon in the summer.

I realise this blog has gone down hill. Mainly due to college, travel and generaly lack of structure to my training of late.

This weekend is the Senior Home International in Scotland.
    I was initially selected to run with the Irish team but I had to pull out at relative short notice.

No chance to stop the boss from getting a 3 in a row Leinster Senior Titles, No XC season.

I'll re start this come Feb/March when I start racing again.
    Which will hopefully involve more mountain runs, more Irish orienteering and the odd road race to get the legs turning.

Until then, its 18 weeks of having fun on the Curragh - should be good craic.

I'll end this blog with a short video by a complete legend.
    After 36hrs of suffering, I hope I can produce an answer like this

The first 45 seconds sums it up

See you at the sharp end.

So, Galway. Howya are ya.

Time to find some new routes and explore the wilderness of Connemara.
    Goodbye Curragh and Wicklow, hello Maumturks, Twelve Deaths and Sheeffry Hills.

The west be big, steep, wet, exposed and unexplored!
    Bring it

Galway
    Week 1

Mon - Travel
    Tue - 35min around bks. The recruiting has begun. Craughwell and GCH.
    Wed - 32min down coast away from galway
    Thurs - 57min out to Salthill and back
    Fri - Rest because rest is important
    Sat - 24hrs
    T - 20 Miles

Sun - IOC Long distance Oughterard. 8th
    Mon - IOC Relays 2nd on Leg, 4th overall
    Tue - am Tullamore Track
    pm 35min easy
    Wed - 48mins Merlin Woods. Now my training ground.
    Thurs - am All Army Orienteering Champs 1st
    pm 30mins easy
    Fri - sleep 0, 70mins Curragh
    Sat - am 60mins w 20mins@75% tempo Curragh
    pm 30min easy
    T- 65.8 Miles

Sun - 1hr27 Long run. Completely bollocked. Time to read the signs
    Mon - Rest (0530-1930, long day)
    Tue - 30mins Merlin Woods
    Wed - Army Mountain Running Series 1. Slieve Blooms. 1st
    Thurs - 24hrs
    Fri - am Massage
    pm 40mins Merlin Woods, all off trails.
    T- 26 Miles

Back in the game.
    Really surprised I used common sense and toned back my miles completely.
    Kinda took a week of freedom to remind myself that I haven't run in 7 months.
    Will be building back up slowly.

Bus to Oughterard.
    Biked out to Lough an Cogair, bit of an O sesh, biked back to hostel and had a good stretch.

This is all well and good getting in an O sesh today and a long en tomorrow, but the big question is how often can I get out to this Mecha of Irish orienteering maps.

I have 3 options.

1. By bus, I can get out to the map for either 1640 (assuming I have an early work day) or 1810. Last bus home is 1920. Which only gives me 70mins to play with. Not really enough considering 20mins out to map, 20mins back, 10mins early for bus just in case... 20mins of O :/ Wouldn't really get out to the good stuff.

2. Bus out for 1810. Play in the mountains for 40-120mins or so. Then I could spin the 34km back into Galway on my bike. Thats gona take me anything from 60-90mins depending on wind. Its a fair bit of extra abuse on my body.
    The jurys out on it still.

3. Just get a frecking driving licence :P

It would only be an extra 70mins on the bike... and it wouldn't be every day.
    And so the internal debate begins

Camp and return in early morning :pac:

Camping has crossed my mind. There is a lovely piece of sheltered forest where the assembly was. Also a very convenient hole in said forest that looks dry and perfect for a bivi bag. I would do it, bring my gear up for the weekend - nighto and all... but em... people in work already think I'm a little unhinged.

O'Cnoic (running out front gate with rucksake and road bike on Friday evening)
    Guard on gate: Yo, O'C, where ya off to?
    O'C: Going orienteering in Ouchterard. Its ok, I have a bivi bag and 2x 24hr ration packs. See ya Monday at 0830. Oh, by the way, I'm cycling
    GoG: rings medic "he's trying to escape again"

• Advertisement

Stayed in hostel. Struggled out of bed at 10 and spun into the Boat Inn for breakfast. Was completely depressed out of my head.
    Didn't want to be there. Didn't want to go orienteering. Was tempted to just jump on the bus and go home. Do a ****ty 40min run around Merlin and call it a day.
    Seen as I had a while to kill before the next bus, I ordered a second coffee and began to ponder training and why I was even out in this part of the world.
    Pulled out a note book and began to jot down some ideas for things to hit this summer season... 5k's, 10k's, Steeple, bit o mountain racing, shamrock, Euro meeting.
    I stared at the last two. Necked my coffee, packed up my **** and was out the door on the bike to mecha.
    Locked the bike to the gate. Kit into the ditch and was gone to play on the mountain... Fun!

Slightly wet, low terrain, technically, fast.... awesome. Sun was out.
    No champions are made in the sun. We must wait until the clocks go back and the mountains are covered in mist to see where champions rise from.

More O out by Oughterard.

Ran the Irish Champs Middle Distance M21E course.
    No kites make it fairly harder.
    Enjoyable none the less.
    Lidar data map also means I only have to pull the GPS to 2 places and everything falls into place.
    Bad missed on 1, 2 and 8. Woops.

Terrain is awesome. Love it
    Map

Advertisement