Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Raspberry PI Projects

• 29-02-2012 10:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

They seem like great yokes. Can't wait to get my hands on one but I'm actually not too sure what to do with it apart from run XBMC on it... which I don't even need.

Has anyone any interesting projects or uses in mind for their Raspberry PI?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I plan on making good use of the fact that it's going to be running linux to possibly remote control stuff in my house. It would be easy to set up sending a command over ssh to a box in your house from a smart phone. My first thought was being able to turn on the heating remotely. That would require:

RPi running linux and an ssh server.
    Android app that can send an ssh command (easy for anyone with even basic programming experience to code).
    Gertboard add on for the pi to turn on / off the boiler.
    Bit of wiring.

I considered hooking it up to a google calendar, for timing the heating too.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

My plan is to pick up 4 or 5 and build a dedicated network with them, as a way of familiarising myself with the various Linux infrastructure components.

Combined with an arduino kit I reckon you could have a lot of fun with these things. Edited to add: I can see Khannie has similar sorts of ideas :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Man I wish I had the knowledge to do that sort of stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Well get learning, and have fun while doing it too :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

fionny wrote: »

Strictly speaking, I don't - hence wanting to start the project. I have a vague idea of where to start and a couple of O'Reilly manuals that I keep meaning to make time to read, but I find I learn better by actually doing stuff than just reading about it - so being able to build a test environment with several machines with a low power overhead and a low overall cost suits me perfectly.

Bear in mind that when they get around to the educational launch they'll hopefully have suggestions and documentation for learning projects you could start with one of these.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Ill be trying to do the obvious of making a HTPC out of it anyway for the fun. That will be my starting point I guess :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

One of the lads in Arcade & Retro has this in mind - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056532927

That's what these bad boys are for! :) I'd be willing to point people in the right direction / help out with specific problems once they were doing the leg work themselves. Linux knowledge is going to be a barrier for a lot of people initially but there's a decent bunch of folks on here with good linux / unix experience.

If enough people were actually doing projects, it would be cool to have a dedicated forum for it. The learning possibilities are really phenomenal when presented with something as cheap and useful as this. Linux knowledge is worth real, actual, cash. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

I'm hoping to use it to port over whatever Linux software that I can to the ARM architecture.

EnterNow wrote: »
    One of the lads in Arcade & Retro has this in mind - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056532927

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh.

SHINY.

I still have an ancient (working) GameBoy at home. No games for it though (thought I'd lost/thrown out the Gameboy, and gave away the games to charity along with my Super Gameboy & SNES). This might be a better use for it than trying to find a reasonably-priced copy of Tetris on eBay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭GinjaNinja

My first project is a taking apart a 17" touchscreen i have lying around and make an all-in-one 'puter loads of kds stuff on it and let the 2.5 year old go mad on it.

long term goal or another unit would be to replace the the mash-up is have in my arcaade machine with a Rpi. only problem to getover would be the non-vag compatible. part. might have to get a digital -jpac or equilvant.

anyway you look at it these are great pieces of kit, and loads of flutin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

I was half thinking on making little HTPC's for friends and family but ... then the other half of me is thinking they'll have my heart feckin broke with questions and complaints and what not :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Thinking of a simple HTPC for one of the TVs in the house, and or maybe as back up share for everyone one in the house (with USB drives connect to the RPI and making them avaliable over the network), or maybe even a combo of the 2.

Also, maybe a machine for my younger cousin thats locked down, that will let her play simple web games that she likes.

**EDIT**
    Gizmodo have some idea for what to do with the system:
    Five Things You Can Do With the New Raspberry Pi

**END EDIT**

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

For me its about learning and removing some redundant hardware in the house.

I'm going to start off with 1 but can potentially see more coming if they work out well.

Download Manager
    Currently I use an old laptop to organise TV shows etc through Sickbeard and SabNZBD, to be then viewed through my AppleTV downstairs. I can see the APTV staying, but the RASPI to replace the laptop. I have a NAS so my laptop essentially redirects the download, so I want RASPI to do the same.

IRC Bouncer
    I use IRC alot, and I mean alot. This has the potential to run irssi 24/7, and for me to simply SSH in through irssi and screen is dead handy.

Remote dropbox, anywhere, anytime
    I can pop one of the various USB HD I have into this and run a anytime anywhere dropbox folder. There are some cool linux apps where you can set your own dropbox style access, so its a thought.

Plug in TV emulator
    This is for the second one. Basically with a large storage SD card, just downloading the various and vast Linux Emulators and assosiated ROMS to play old console and handheld games through the TV/monitor. Its essentially €40 for a serious amount of odschool fun. The recent videos of Quake3 gave me this idea.

Remote access
    It appears this can run remote desktop and SSH. So it would also be feasible that I can use this RASPI, which will be connected to my network, to do the usual remote access style stuff. Handy

LEARN LINUX
    This is the big one. I plan to after initial setup, have this RASPI only plugged in with an ethernet cable and power plug. Totally controlled through SSH and Remote desktop, and simply learn the OS.

There is endless possabilities really thinking about it.

Also interesting enough, you can probably power this for about 13 hours running 2 AA batteries ;)

It occurs to me that you could combine this with an Arduino-type kit with optical sensors and a webcam (assuming you can get suitable software, or are happy to develop it yourself) and create a bespoke CCTV type system - either dumping the videofeed to storage or uploading directly via NIC.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

Read some other posts, with his you make a nice compact surveillance kit, the Raspberry PI with a web server , and SD wireless card, and a web cam. It could use to watch a a birds nest or keep an eye on your house.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

I have a fairly good knowledge of Linux mainly Debian and Slax so might get a couple of them and have a play around see what I can come up with. But I want one as a media player to connect to my NAS drive for something easy for my mother can use. I like the idea of a retro gaming station aswell

From what I gather you can put pretty much any linux distro you want on it assuming it can handle SD card reading.

Figuring ubuntu since its what I'm used to

Anyone else thought of the distro they are putting on ?

Ubuntu won't run on this. They have dropped support for the arm processor that the pi has. I'll probably stick with the default distro for convenience and support.

interested to see how the non Linux among you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭Firblog

I was half thinking on making little HTPC's for friends and family but ... then the other half of me is thinking they'll have my heart feckin broke with questions and complaints and what not :(

No good deed goes unpunished... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I'm thinking about a cheap HTPC/MythTv frontend for the kitchen and bedroom TV's. A nice alternative to a Saorview box and HTPC for each

• Registered Users Posts: 64,702 ✭✭✭✭unkel

The whole point of the project is to get people to learn to do that sort of stuff. Everyone of us, including school children in the third world who up to now would not have had the money to buy a computer

Let's get programming. Something :cool:

Can someone with some electronics knowledge tell me: How would I go about using a low voltage to control a higher voltage switch?

Lets' say I have a 2v line that I have control of (like you will in the r-pi) and I want to switch on a 240V switch with that (let's say to turn on a light in the house). Is there something that I can buy that can do that?

edit: I found this which is in the general ball park (though aimed at the arduino, I think the principal should be the same, more or less). I have an arduino on the way if dealextreme ever get off their bums and ship it. I can flute with that until the pi gets here.

Khannie wrote: »
    Ubuntu won't run on this. They have dropped support for the arm processor that the pi has. I'll probably stick with the default distro for convenience and support.

interested to see how the non Linux among you get on.

Thanks for the info

I'm extremely non linu, so this is as much of a learning process as anything.

Is there any information on what OS these will be running?

I'd be very interested in putting it onto a VM on my Laptop to get myself familiar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

Could this be used as a second apple tv? like can I run xbmc on this and simply connect it to my tv?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

Could this be used as a second apple tv? like can I run xbmc on this and simply connect it to my tv?

yes, there is a raspberry version of xbmc being worked on

TheDoc wrote: »
    Is there any information on what OS these will be running?

Any Linux VM will do you if you just want to fiddle around a bit, but it's going to be running some kind of light weight variant of Fedora. Probably running LXDE as the window manager (that's the main GUI for want of a better description). The browser will be Midori. I don't know too much beyond that because the details don't really matter to me so I haven't investigated. I'm fairly experienced with Linux at this stage so beyond the bare essentials it's all just much of a muchness to me.

Don't expect too much of a user interface experience. The processor is actually really rubbish (I have the equivalent in my phone for example). Trying to run a full on browser is going to be relatively slow and painful I'd imagine. Your best bet is to learn how to use the command line / terminal. That way you can access the box RPi and issue commands from anywhere. This, IMO, is one of the massive benefits that Linux has over windows.

I think a VM's a great idea though to get you going. Some kind of basic Linux introductory tutorial would be good too. You can shout here or the unix forum if you've any trouble.

Here's a link to the LXDE version of fedora.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Khannie wrote: »
    Lets' say I have a 2v line that I have control of (like you will in the r-pi) and I want to switch on a 240V switch with that (let's say to turn on a light in the house). Is there something that I can buy that can do that?

A bog standard relay should do that...I think.

12527647e9129233622.bmp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

EnterNow wrote: »
    A bog standard relay should do that...I think.

12527647e9129233622.bmp

I don't think a 2v signal from a pin on the RPi would drive a relay, even if you could find a 2V relay. You'd probably need some little bit of circuitry with a transistor to drive it.

Advertisement