Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[BPB]Boards Photobook 2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Just a reminder - this isn't a count me in thread - but it is great to see the overall positive response.

I guess it looks like there will be a 2012 Photobook :D

Great to see the support, I will pull together a list of 'jobs' and we can then work out who will do what.

If I post up a list of things that need to be done, people can then say what they can help with - that we we can all publicly flog you when you don't do it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,087 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I'm in.
    last year was my first year participating.
    This year I'd like to attend the launch evening, it'd be a good chance to meet up with people in the flesh and also a weekend in Dublin.

Any ROUGH idea when the lauch normally is (month?)

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭aidanic

Yes, please. Would love to participate...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Anything I can do just ask away. Happy to do some heavy lifting, bake/make food for the launch etc etc. Would like to submit a pic again this year.

Will have a look and see if I kept the PDFs for the promotional banner images and update them accordingly.

OldGoat wrote: »
    Time for Signature updating?

It looks like I didn't keep the originals so I'll see about creating some more.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Unforeseen circumstances rendered me out of action last year much to my embarrassment but if you're willing I'd love to help out this year

That being said I won't be around for much of December but prior that I will be if I can be of help

• Advertisement

218765.jpg

Something a little simpler and perhaps more striking for this year. If you really REALLY want one with your own brand of camera, just ask. I'm looking at you Denis- ya big moaner!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Anything I can do just ask away.

One word....VODKA!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭Adrian.Sadlier

I'm in for a pic & a book.

Something I suggested last year but I don't know how far people got in thinking about it.... as well as a printed book with each photo contributor buying at least one real copy how about an e-book version - pdf, whatever. This would have a very low production cost and could be sold at a very low cost - say 2-5 euro. Cheap enough to encourage people to buy it as an impulse buy. We could even push it to all the camera clubs in the country, friends, work colleagues etc.

Just a thought .....

One word....VODKA!

Please remind me to bring some- I'm going to Poland later in the year so will be stocking up in the duty free. I really have a shocking memory so will need a PM or Tweet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Anything I can do from the other side of the Ball, count me in.

Maybe I can maintain the Spreadsheet for "Who's in/out"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭kassie

I'm in for a pic & a book.

Something I suggested last year but I don't know how far people got in thinking about it.... as well as a printed book with each photo contributor buying at least one real copy how about an e-book version - pdf, whatever. This would have a very low production cost and could be sold at a very low cost - say 2-5 euro. Cheap enough to encourage people to buy it as an impulse buy. We could even push it to all the camera clubs in the country, friends, work colleagues etc.

Just a thought .....

I'm new to all of this, but i think this is a great idea ^^ it its possible to have a pdf file made up.

I would love to submit a photo, not sure how else i could help out though, i live in the midlands and not sure if i could attend the launch evening so offering my services for something might not be of any use!

If anyone wants to step up and arrange the pdf I think it sounds like a brill idea too!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I'm moving back to Ireland in October, not sure what I could do to help but I'll be around Dublin/Wexford if anyone wants books delivered.

5uspect wrote: »
    I'm moving back to Ireland in October, not sure what I could do to help but I'll be around Dublin/Wexford if anyone wants books delivered.

Thank you :) There will be no books for 'delivery' this year as there was in previous years I'm afraid, it'll be either pay for postage or collect on the night.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Cork_girl wrote: »
    Thank you :) There will be no books for 'delivery' this year as there was in previous years I'm afraid, it'll be either pay for postage or collect on the night.

Good call.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Nebezpeci Mys

Would love to help if needed...and put a pic in as well, of course. :D

So a few things I'm wondering are:
    • Book format - stay the same/hard cover vs soft cover
    • Launch location - DCC again or new location
    • sponsorship or some sort?
    • Exhibition of images in the book to be had on the night of launch?

Any other thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

So a few things I'm wondering are:
    • Book format - stay the same/hard cover vs soft cover
    • Launch location - DCC again or new location
    • sponsorship or some sort?
    • Exhibition of images in the book to be had on the night of launch?

Any other thoughts?

hard cover please bob - personally speaking i think it makes it easier on the book for the amount of page-flicking that happens to it.
    location - DCC is pretty handy and central for us non dubliners.
    sponsorship - would we be able to get a bit from the printers this year? would that make the cost of production cheaper for us and therefore more moola for the charity? if so go for it.
    exhibition - yes. would DCC be ok with that? would it fit? could it run for a week or ten days or something with the images for sale in aid of SFF? would finding a sponsor to help with the cost of printing/framing be too much of a stretch?

i realise these are more questions than thoughts! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭Adrian.Sadlier

artyeva wrote: »
    hard cover please bob - personally speaking i think it makes it easier on the book for the amount of page-flicking that happens to it.
    location - DCC is pretty handy and central for us non dubliners.
    sponsorship - would we be able to get a bit from the printers this year? would that make the cost of production cheaper for us and therefore more moola for the charity? if so go for it.
    exhibition - yes. would DCC be ok with that? would it fit? could it run for a week or ten days or something with the images for sale in aid of SFF? would finding a sponsor to help with the cost of printing/framing be too much of a stretch?

i realise these are more questions than thoughts! :p

Ditto hard cover
    I'm happy with DCC
    Sponsorship - great if you can get it!
    Exhibition - yes. DCC would be too small for the number of prints plus it isn't open most of the time. Somehwhere like Pearse Street Library might be an option (where DCC hold their annual exhibition) or some other public place.

An online auction of prints (on-boards?) after the exhibition could raise additional funding.

Or maybe the other way round - an online auction to raise additional funds and to pay for the prints/mounting etc in an exhibition?

HI,
    Has anyone ever thought of approaching a book store and asking them to stock it?
    Cheers,
    Pa.

• Advertisement

dinneenp wrote: »
    HI,
    Has anyone ever thought of approaching a book store and asking them to stock it?
    Cheers,
    Pa.

How would we pay for the books though?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

If I can get a decent photo I'd like to add it to the book too, not sure what I could do to help but if I can I will :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I make books for a living, and I'm happy to help out in any way I can. I may even submit a photo this year. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Pontecake

I'd definitely like to be involved this year, submitting a photo and helping out where I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭tororosso

Glad to see this back again. Contributed last year and looking forward to doing so again this year. A very nice project and Dineenp's suggestion about stocking it in a book shop is nice if it could be financed somehow.

I think the hardback is definitely the way to go as it makes it last longer. DCC is a good venue too.

How would we pay for the books though?

That's a good point.
    I suppose the first thing would be get to know cost price.
    2. If X extra are ordered does this reduce production price?
    3. Would people be interested in 'chipping' in & producing X amount extra
    4. Look into what stores would be interested in stocking it (& what price)
    5. possible to reimburse people who 'chipped' it?

I only had a photo in the book last year. While I liked it, it feels a bit like us getting the book made and just us viewing it.

If the book was available (more easily) to the public then you'd think that a wider audience could be viewing your photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

It's a laudable idea dinneenp but I don't think it will work.

Having been in the book trade for many years I can tell you that putting the books on the shelf is not the same as selling them - and photography books are notoriously difficult to sell. To persuade someone not involved in the production of the book to buy a collection of unthemed amateur photographs for €30+ is going to be hard. Even trying to sell the book to other members of Boards is difficult. Sales are mainly from the contributors and perhaps a handful of other photography members. Asking people to stump up a wad of cash on the hope that it might sell a few units in a small bookshop is a tad unrealistic.

To get any kind of decent discount on a print run you'll need to start ordering the book in 1000's. Stores will only take the book from you on a sale or return basis and even then they will only take one or two copies from you. That means having to distribute your stock to hundreds of outlets, casting your net far and wide at a huge cost.

For this venture (unless there is a MAJOR marketing move behind the launch) you need to target your sales directly. Talk to other Boardsies/Family/Friends and get them to commit to paying for a copy and only when you have the cash in hand do you order the print run.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

What about a facebook page for the book? I know it would probably generate ALOT of interest in submitting a photo but if it was limited to current boards members only and not those who join just to submit a photo? Or would that be just too messy?

It would reach a lot of people interested in photograph, and possibly drum up sales?

Do the photos submitted to the book set out the particulars used to take the photo i.e. auto appurture/shutter speed settings, or a one liner about the photo? This might be an idea to help with the sales for as some folks might buy with the hope of learning something from the book?

Just my tuppence worth!

kassie wrote: »
    What about a facebook page for the book? I know it would probably generate ALOT of interest in submitting a photo but if it was limited to current boards members only and not those who join just to submit a photo? Or would that be just too messy?

It would reach a lot of people interested in photograph, and possibly drum up sales?

Do the photos submitted to the book set out the particulars used to take the photo i.e. auto appurture/shutter speed settings, or a one liner about the photo? This might be an idea to help with the sales for as some folks might buy with the hope of learning something from the book?

Just my tuppence worth!

We have a Facebook page up and running - http://www.facebook.com/boardsphotobook

Photos have a 1 liner description about them in the book, as much or as little as the person would like to include about the photo :)

• Advertisement

:o:o:o

Advertisement