Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Way to gain work experience?

• 03-03-2012 1:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi

I had an interview with a large company over a week ago and I am still waiting to hear from them, I rang yesterday and was told a decision should be made by today and didn't hear anything. I wasn't really confident of it anyway but was thinking of asking would they be willing to take me on as an intern, just not really sure how to suggest this to the hr manager, I'm assuming they have already decided on some one for the position advertised. But as its a large organisation I'd imagine there would be room for one more. One of the main reasons against me in the interview was lack of experience, graduate. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Phil Collins

Any one have any suggestions or opinions on what I should do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭bfocusd

I'd wait until I hear the decision, then if you are unsuccessful, mail HR and say you would much appreciate it if they kept you on file for any relevant future positions, you appreciate them replying and all that usual garber..

It's not very long to be waiting for a response, I've gone three months with different stage interviews for a position decision.

I would mail for future reference, phone calls are never recorded where as an email is on file (but not always)

Don't ring too much either, it will get on there patience while they are trying to trawl through the applicants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

I can tell you from personal experience working in a large multinational company that if a HR person tells you they'll make a decision today that doesn't necessarily mean they'll actually bother to tell you as well.

Give it till thursday or so if you haven't heard back from them and give them a polite ring to ask what's going on. If nothing else to should really give you some decent feedback on what the decision was and why.

With regards to work experience I guess it will depend on what field you're in. In my line of work (IT) I've known numerous people to take up entry level jobs in a call center and progress from there fairly rapidly (as in callcenter to sales, mid level management or so in a few years).

Having said that I guess the times they are a changin. Good luck with that, I hope you hear back from them (with good news) soon.

If your field does happen to be IT drop me a PM with some info and I can give you some suggestions. That is if you're willing to start at the bottom. The way I see it an entry level position is better than none and in a lot of companies genuine talent in someone who's willing to work tends to be fairly quickly spotted.

@bfocused, wexie. I had the interview two weeks ago this Tuesday. After the interview she said that I would definitely know by that Friday. So rang on Thursday this week and was told that a decision was being made that day and I would definitely know on Friday. I have only ever been contacted by phone, I have found out the email address but it seems to be kept for internal emails, not publicised.
    I'm tempted to offer to work as an intern under the jobbridge scheme (free) for the work experience, as I feel that I would learn a lot from working there.
    Just not really sure how or should I even suggest it?

It's a tough one alright, personally I don't think I'd even approach it until they have definitely told you you're not getting the job. (no point in making them wise to the fact they can have you for free if they are still considering giving you the job ;))

Once that's been done (lets hope for now it won't happen)it will largely depend on how the feedback is delivered how you'd approach it.

Was the hiring manager part of the interview process or did you only deal with HR?

If you ever spoke to the hiring manager I think in an ideal world you could try to see if you could get some feedback from them just to open up a line of communication. HR people are trained in these kind of things and are probably looking at the practicalities of having an unpaid staff member around (insurance, liability etc.) while a manager might have a different point of view insofar they would actually have something to gain from having an extra set of hands or brain around.

How has the interaction with the company been so far? It's really hard to judge without having been there of course.

But if you get to the point of bringing it up with them make sure to point out all the benefits for them. Do they have a website? (not sure what kind of company it is) they might have some information regarding an internship on there?

• Advertisement

Agree completely with wexie's post, wait a little longer, no point in letting them know you will work for experience only, they may take advantage if they know that.

Play it cool for a few more days, then make contact and if they say your successful, happy days, if not ask if you can get some feed back and just say about future positions and that you were looking into internships and if they had any positions your interested.

But just make sure not to mention the internship before you know for sure the outcome of the interview.

Thanks for the replys.
    I'd be fairly certain I didn't get it. During the interview I felt that I struggled for past examples. I was surprised I was even called for interview, ad was looking for people with 3-4 years experience.

Hiring manager was at the interview, but can't imagine getting any feedback of them.
    Interaction I find hard to judge, wasn't much contact.

Theres no information available on their website.

Yea waiting till I hear before mentioning an internship but I've had a few interviews and usually don't hear anything if its negative. So afraid that I mightn't hear anything unless I keep in touch with HR.

If it is a case that you were unsuccessful, it's a learning kerb, no harm in applying for more positions whist they are deciding, I wouldn't take it to heart if you are not contacted, the amount of people applying for a single position is vast, do you know any people in the sector your applying?
    I found at the moment, it's more whom you know and personal referrals for positions than applying through job sites

Yea I'm still applying for more positions. Was sure I'd be informed either way considering how definite they were when they said I'd be informed. Yea but when you go as far as an interview I'd imagine the would be more likely to inform you.
    Unfortunately none, so stuck going applying through jobsites and agencies.

Just heard, didn't get it. Received a letter today, so not really sure how to respond to that, to request feedback, ask about other positions or to mention an internship

• Advertisement

Was there an email address on the letter?

No but I do have the email address, guessing its the same format as another I found online. They seem to keep most contact info private. A letter seems quite format even though it was generic .

No but I do have the email address, guessing its the same format as another I found online. They seem to keep most contact info private. A letter seems quite format even though it was generic .

Is it like [email]info@____.ie[/email]?
    Or is it to an employee?

An employee. But the seem to keep most info private. I found one employees email address and assume theirs would be the same format initial surname @ .com

If it's an email related to HR I would mail them saying thank you for the reply and if there are any relevant positions in the future you would be interested, also mention the internship,

If they have had lost of interest in the position it might be difficult to receive feedback.

Pretty tough to engage with a letter alright, also pretty final.

It'd be a chance sending a mail to the employee and it might not be received very well.

I think I'd be inclined to agree with bfocusd and maybe send the HR people a polite mail to ask to be kept on file and maybe enquire about the possibility of an internship.

I'm sorry this job didn't work out for you. Hopefully another one will come along soon.

Thanks for the replies. Sorry for the delay replying, had another interview last week.
    No general email addresses posted online have searched everywhere, I have found one or two personal ones, so going by the format of them I'd imagine the HR person's is the same. Thats my problem, not sure how'd the hr person would respond to a personal email, and also terrible at wording emails and letters

It's not a personal email, its work, they shouldn't have a problem, I've often gotten emails from people I don't know thats work related, it's just business and it shows your interested to continue a relationship with the company regardless of your interview outcome.

I don't know what field you are in but if I was unsure if I had the correct email I would ring reception and ask for the contact details for HR, if that's not a possibility I would try guess the email from the company standard, but to ensure it was received I would turn on 'read receipts' which will signal if it was opened, sometimes failed delivery of emails can take days to return.

Edit:

Post a draft of what you are thinking of mailing and we can guide you if necessary

Thanks for your reply.
    I am recent graduate, no real experience I have a degree in commerce with computers.

Dear ,
    I am just emailing in relation to my application for customer service representative having received notice of the decision made I’d like to be kept in mind for any other relevant positions that may become available.

I am also letting you know I would be interesting in working any relevant position unpaid as I feel I would benefit greatly from the experience. Looking forward to hearing from you.
    Regards,
    Phil

Any help would be brilliant, not sure about how long the email should be, or just keep it simple and straight to the point

Business Address

Dear ,
    Thank you for your letter informing me that I was unsuccessful for the position of customer service representative. I’d like to be kept in mind for any other relevant positions that may become available.

I am also letting you know I would be interesting in working any relevant position unpaid as I feel I would benefit greatly from the experience. Looking forward to hearing from you.
    Regards,
    Phil

or

Thank you for your letter of March 16. After careful consideration, I regret to inform you that I am unable to accept your refusal to offer me an customer service position in your department.
    This year I have been particularly fortunate in receiving an unusually large number of rejection letters. With such a varied and promising field of candidates it is impossible for me to accept all refusals.
    Despite the university’s outstanding qualifications and previous experience in rejecting applicants, I find that your rejection does not meet my needs at this time. Therefore, I will assume the position of customer service representative in your department this August. I look forward to seeing you then.
    Best of luck in rejecting future applicants.
    Sincerely,
    Chris L. N :)

• Advertisement

Thanks for your reply.
    I am recent graduate, no real experience I have a degree in commerce with computers.

Dear ,
    I am just emailing in relation to my application for customer service representative having received notice of the decision made I’d like to be kept in mind for any other relevant positions that may become available.

Regards,
    Phil

I think this option (above) is definitely the better. Maybe something along these lines :

Dear,

Thank you for your confirmation letter informing me that I was unsuccessful in my application for the customer service representative position. Please feel free keep my details on file for any future considerations.

Also I'd like to point out that I would be willing to take any internships you might currently be offering in a relevant position.

yada yada

I think i'd stay away from the 'unpaid' bit and phrase it something like internship maybe. Unfortunately selling myself (in writing) has never really been my strong point.

Can I ask what kind of customer service representative this is?

I'd imagine its an average enough position, may have some travel involved but seems like a company where you would learn a lot compared to some places where I have been. Just been unemployed for awhile so getting desperate thats while I feel the unpaid bit might sway them to offer an internship as they currently don't offer any.

Id go with something like:

Dear ______,

I would like you thank you for the response regarding an interview undertook with (insert interviewers name) on the (insert date).

Although at this time I was unsuitable for the position of (insert position applied for) I would much appreciate it if you would consider an internship or trainee position as I feel working with (insert company name) I would develop and surpass the requirements necessary to complete the requirements of the tasks set for me.

If you would like to talk further in regards to my proposal of an internship or any relevant future full or part time positions. please feel free to contact me any time on (insert mobile number).

thank you for talking the time to read this.

Kind regards,

_______

Make them think they're brilliant and like they are doing good usually works, I work with several agencies and flattering them helps with getting positions, lots of people love to love themselves.

I hope that is helpful in some way. Best of luck! :)

Sorry only seen the pm. Its looks to be mostly admin (order processing using SAP, forecasting) and dealing with internal customers (complaints, pro active customer service). I meet most of the requirements but lack experience

Thanks for the advice. I have sent it on, so hopefully..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

If you're good at what you do, never do it for free. you'll be exploited. spend the time working on something that you can show 'I did this' that will make a paying employer respect your skills.

Spacedog wrote: »
    If you're good at what you do, never do it for free. you'll be exploited. spend the time working on something that you can show 'I did this' that will make a paying employer respect your skills.

Is that not what the internship will do?

Applying for new paid jobs, the HR don't need to know it was an internship, the Op was a trainee, paid or unpaid should have no influence on wether to hire them.

I agree to a certain extent, but how do you suggest they gain experience if no one will give them a chance?

if the Op done an internship for 3 months, whist applying for paid jobs, it will get them further than studying more. They will be financially down, but in the long run it will have major gains.

My point being, if the Op can get a foot in the door no matter what way, it's worth the time not making money on an internship, than it is sitting at home earning nothing, at least they will have experience now to develop further.

Spacedog wrote: »

Can't really say I am good at what I do, as my degree is fairly broad. I have been involved in voluntary projects and events, granted it shows some initiative but the can only get me so far and my interviews mostly falling down on lack of experience.

Called them last week to see if they were considering my offer, they don't do internships. So still looking

• Advertisement

Called them last week to see if they were considering my offer, they don't do internships. So still looking

It's worth a try asking, just keep applying, they might possibly do them but aren't taking any at the moment, they sometimes say that to try stop people constantly calling, if theirs 50 people it's constant.

Im in my old office lately and they have 2 interns in, that's fair enough, sure that's how I got my start, but these two hadn't the slightest, there in for a month and the company know within the first few hours if they will be hired, I used to assess and train interns and contract/new staff, I could tell within 10 minutes if they knew their stuff by the questions they asked.

Basically if your going to apply for something make sure it's something you can be the best at, don't go completely over your head as it will be a waste of time unless your like a duck to water :)

Advertisement