Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permanet problems?

• 30-01-2007 7:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭

Has anyone else using permanet, have had problems with their connection in the last week. Because since Monday i have had no connection up to Saturday night where it came back on. But it only stayed on for about an hour and went off again. The same happened Sunday morning when i turned on the pc to see if the broadband was working. It was fine for about an hour and a half
    Again yesterday morning, it lasted about hour before the connection dropped again. Obviously it is working now again as i am posting this, but i can only assume it will frak up again.

The few times i was able to access the net, all i could find on permanet site was that they had an esb problem at their site in Mullaghanish and are awaiting engineers to fix the problem. Must be a damn big problem if it takes over a week to fix. I am just wondering as well are they selectively switching off users as everytime i have turned the broadband on the last 3 days, it has been at different times of the day.
    I just hope that they compensate their customers for the lack of service which is now running into 8 days

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

Hi,

I use Permanet in Kerry, and the outage on the 26th lasted about 2 hours, before all came back on line... Mine has been fine since then no issues over the weekend...

Can't explain why you were getting these problems ? Have you switched off your modem/router tried to reboot them etc ...

Last week including the 26th there were 2 outages due to ESB problems, but nothing since.... can you get into the diagnostic menu on the modem to see what ur signal strength is like ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

Robxxx7 wrote:

Last week including the 26th there were 2 outages due to ESB problems, but nothing since.... can you get into the diagnostic menu on the modem to see what ur signal strength is like ?

How would i go about doing that.?
    Yes it is kind of strange how it is working fine for you. I have disconnected the modem and reconnected it, pressed reset button on it, and to no avail. I just wonder if the antenna is off kilter a bit due to all the high winds we have gotten over the past few weeks.

Seems to be working fine now though....

If i remember rightly this should be the ip address to login into the modem
    192.168.100.1 ... it will show you on 1 of the pages your signal quality etc ... if its around 13-14db then you are borderline and expect a few drops etc ... if you are around 26db upwards then the signal should be ok

Give it a try and let us know what levels you are getting

Robxxx7 wrote:
    If i remember rightly this should be the ip address to login into the modem
    192.168.100.1 ... it will show you on 1 of the pages your signal quality etc ... if its around 13-14db then you are borderline and expect a few drops etc ... if you are around 26db upwards then the signal should be ok

Give it a try and let us know what levels you are getting

Ok just tried that and got these results

RF Parameters
    Downstream
    Freq/Power: 250.000 MHz 1 dBmV
    Signal to Noise Ratio: 27 dB
    Modulation: QAM16
    Upstream
    Freq/Power: 40.000 MHz 34 dBmV
    Channel Type: DOCSIS 1.x (TDMA)
    Symbol Rate: 2560 kSym/sec
    Modulation: QPSK

I am not sure how good or bad these figures are, but since you told me that your internet is working fine, then that surely cuts out permanet as being the problem. So i started thinking that the router i have could be the problem. I looked into restarting the router by using its interface in a web browser (just like the arris modem address you gave).
    When i reset it the connection came back on.
    Although it still is finicky and drops the connection every 30 mins- hour or so, so i just unplugged the router and the internet is working fine now. I should have twigged it a few days ago that the router could be at fault, but i was convinced it was permanet that was the problem since they reported a esb fault at their transmitter (bear in mind i also only bought the router the day before permanets transmitter went down)

At least i have sourced the problem now (i think..) i just have to figure how to remedy it , so i guess the wireless router subforum may be a more appropriate place to ask.

Thanks for your advice, i fully appreciate it

Its good you found the route of the problem, just to give you a comparison my signal/noise ratio is 28db a friend of mine who is about 3-4 km closer to the mast gets 31db, So signal wise there should not be any problem...

I have a Linksys router that does need some regular rebooting as i find that this is often the cause of any problems i have.

As with any troubleshooting its finding out if anyone else is affected then try by trial and error to eliminate parts of your own network :)

But if you have any other probs let me know, and i'll see if i can help

• Advertisement

Robxxx7 wrote:
    Its good you found the route of the problem, just to give you a comparison my signal/noise ratio is 28db a friend of mine who is about 3-4 km closer to the mast gets 31db, So signal wise there should not be any problem...

I have a Linksys router that does need some regular rebooting as i find that this is often the cause of any problems i have.

As with any troubleshooting its finding out if anyone else is affected then try by trial and error to eliminate parts of your own network :)

But if you have any other probs let me know, and i'll see if i can help

Yeah cheers for that, hopefully i'll get it sorted..

Advertisement