Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dell inspiron 1545 not sure how to create recovery disc

• 13-07-2010 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭

a friend got a new laptop and she wants to create recovery discs for vista and dell, ive googled for info but, my results are telling me about an internal partition. does this mean that i dont have to create physical discs, all help would be very much appreciated as i have no experience in this.

OS Name Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Basic
    Version 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2 Build 6002
    Other OS Description Not Available
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name MARIE-PC
    System Manufacturer Dell Inc.
    System Model Inspiron 1545
    System Type X86-based PC
    Processor Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 900 @ 2.20GHz, 2194 Mhz, 1 Core(s), 1 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. A07, 13/05/2009
    SMBIOS Version 2.4
    Windows Directory C:\Windows
    System Directory C:\Windows\system32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume3
    Locale Ireland
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.0.6002.18005"
    User Name Marie-PC\Marie
    Time Zone GMT Daylight Time
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 3.00 GB
    Total Physical Memory 2.96 GB
    Available Physical Memory 1.72 GB
    Total Virtual Memory 7.31 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 6.11 GB
    Page File Space 4.44 GB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭dubdvd

If you go into My Computer if there is a recovery partition you should see it there if not you will find the MS program recovery I'm in work at the moment so I'm not near a pc but I think if you go to programs and accessories and system tools if not it it's in the program files just go through them hope this helps but I'm in work and can't think straight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

you can use this, backup/clone the whole harddrive or clone c:\ partition one .
    see here http://www.todo-backup.com/

see here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055939764&highlight=clone+drive

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭cranky bollix

thanks for the replies,

yes there is a recovery drive d. but im still unsure on what precautionary measures i should take in case i ever have to reset the laptop to factory settings.in my own computer using windows xp i had to create recovery discs. do i need to do this with vista and this dell inspiron. sorry if im not coming across very clear im not much of a techy

Use that program at the link to clone drive c, then if pc crashes ,you reinstall windows ,insert disk, and use restore image,recover mode ,it should restore all the data you backed up, eg programs.data,mp3, images eg whatever was on the drive when you made the disk hd image.
    see here ,it makes a bootable cd image ,insert cdrom, click,restore from the menu,
    http://www.todo-backup.com/backup-resource/restore-system-after-crash.htm i presume you could make an image to a dvdr or cdr ,if thats handy, ie 1 cdr=700meg, 1dvd r=4.4gigabyte,
    better to use dvdrs i think,put in cases,store in a cool dry place.
    YOU COULD make one cd backup every month, if you want to be really careful,depends on is your data important,or valuable .ie shool work,projects,phd etc

it saysdell support, inspiron 1545, click,programs,dell datasafe local backup,create recovery disc,etc
    it uses 1 blank dvdr disk
    takes about 20 mins to burn a dvdr on my pc ,but i use speed=4x for backup disks.

see dell ie support. inspiron 1545 ,search troubleshooting make recovery dvd

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭cranky bollix

thanks ricman, i was on that site allright, but couldnt find the datasafe backup thing on the laptop in question and the copy of vista was pre installed so i wasnt sure how to back it up.

ill give it another go the next time im at the laptop

• Advertisement

You could use the above program easus, to clone the hardrive .IF YOU cannot find local backup program.
    AND windows has system restore built in, use drivermax to backup all drivers to a cdr,and to folder my drivers.its free to download,easy to use.
    see here http://www.innovative-sol.com/drivermax/
    use system restore at least once.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

if you have a recovery partition in your my computer then your sorted from OS / factory installed programs point of view.. make sure you back up all user data to another media though and if you want an overall image of the drive go with acronis trueimage.. it will let you take an image on the fly

The easus program is free and easy to use,IT does the same job as acronis, backup up hd,or partition one.
    i think that dell has a hidden partition that contains the windows os ,which can be reloaded if you get a virus or windows installation is damaged.

Advertisement