Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gender issues in After Hours - Your feedback requested.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Millicent wrote: »
    So you're taking a digging at me, even though I apologised?

No I'm not having a dig at you. I'm just using it as an example. I see it a lot in AH. The other example I gave was from a different poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,425 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I don't think there's any need to get into the nitty gritty of what constitutes a sexist remark/post/thread.
    Surely it should be at the mods discretion?
    Could the charter not be updated with a strict warning that sexism aimed at either gender will not be tolerated and that way everyone is given fair warning and must use their own cop on not to post anything which may be construed as sexist.
    If a mod sees a post that they feel is overly sexist/offensive then they swoop in and give a short ban from AH. (maybe a couple of days?) And the poster could of course appeal it if they wish. And maybe bring in a 3 strikes rule? If a poster gets 3 short bans for sexist/offensive remarks they get forum banned for 6 months or 12 months or whatever the admins feel is appropriate. That would weed out the regular offenders.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Millicent wrote: »
    You know what -- I probably shouldn't have thanked that. If it was something that caused somebody offence and I had done it, I wouldn't bother trying to defend it, I'd simply say I was sorry and stop posting or thanking anything like that. If the consensus is that that sort of posting is not on, I'll go with that.
    Jesus I wouldn't. Take stuff like that out of AH and turn it into fry shíte central*. I say have the courage of your convictions. You liked/agreed with the content of the post and you agreed with it.

*That's probably just me though. I generally don't like inoffensive people. I don't mean I like dickheads, but give me an interesting firebrand over some beige inoffensive type any day.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    The middle ground is where it's at, it's where I'd bet the farm the vast majority of the posters, mods and admins think it's at too. That middle ground needs tweaking and the extreme views here are merely a distraction.

This sums it up really.

I'm going to be completely honest here and say I that I am genuinely concerned that the fun is going to be taken completely out of AH. I really am. I have found myself, since the beginning of this thread, afraid to post the way I normally do. I understand things need to be addressed, there are some things, as per my previous post, that I'm unhappy with too. I just really really hope that it doesn't cross the line to the point where people are afraid of having banter for fear of being banned. offending someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

tigger123 wrote: »
    I'll completely avoid any threads relating to gender issues in AH. They very quickly descend into nonsense, trolling and people behaving like complete dicks. There was a thread on rape within the last 12 months and I kind of lost a lot of respect for both boards.ie and it's moderators due to the type of stuff which was being tolerated on the thread (I haven't got time to find it right now). I look at the boards.ie and After Hours section much differently now.

The argument is often made that if you don't like what's being said then don't come here (to After Hours), so I don't really bother with it a whole lot any more.

And also, as another user pointed out, if you said some of the things said about women about another race or ethnic group you'd be banned, receive warnings or whatever. But apparently saying those things about women is acceptable according to boards.ie and it's moderators. I cannot for the life of me get my head around how this works.

Did you PM one of the mods to ask why all the posts you reported weren't actioned?

EDIT: Is this the way feedback threads usually go?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

Lad, give it a rest. You're seriously coming across as a complete nutbag with all the re-regging.

Edit: Nevermind, post was deleted.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

yekahS wrote: »
    Lad, give it a rest. You're seriously coming across as a complete nutbag with all the re-regging.
    Just ignore him. His posts will just be deleted, which leaves you looking like you're talking to yourself. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Just ignore him. His posts will just be deleted, which leaves you looking like you're talking to yourself. :)

Dammit, now I look like a nutbag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Is the word 'nutbag' sexist towards men? I can't decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭tigger123

mackg wrote: »
    Did you PM one of the mods to ask why all the posts you reported weren't actioned?

EDIT: Is this the way feedback threads usually go?

I reported two posts and nothing was done, and I received no response either. The reporting process didn't tell me who was supposed to be moderating that thread ... so not sure how I would have followed it up with an e-mail?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

tigger123 wrote: »
    I reported two posts and nothing was done, and I received no response either. The reporting process didn't tell me who was supposed to be moderating that thread ... so not sure how I would have followed it up with an e-mail?

Use the boards private message function. PM any one of the moderators of the forum listed at the bottom right of the main page of the forum. You don't normally receive responses for reported posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

This sums it up really.

I'm going to be completely honest here and say I that I am genuinely concerned that the fun is going to be taken completely out of AH. I really am. I have found myself, since the beginning of this thread, afraid to post the way I normally do. I understand things need to be addressed, there are some things, as per my previous post, that I'm unhappy with too. I just really really hope that it doesn't cross the line to the point where people are afraid of having banter for fear of being banned.

This won't happen. The change will be subtle and not done over night. In fact its been changing all along. Recently I was reading a 4 year old AH thread on this subject. it's a world apart from where we are now, for the better.

This is another step on the road to improvement but by no means the final one. We very well will be back here in 6 months but things will be better and itll roll on.

There won't be ban sprees, it'll be steady as it goes.

There won't be ban sprees, it'll be steady as it goes.

Sorry Micky, I didn't mean to imply there would be. I have a lot of respect for the AH mods and have always found them to be fair and, for the mostpart, consistent. It's just down to, as Wibbs put it, finding the right balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

It's a whole lot of grey. The black and white stuff is easy. That's why we are here.

This is never going to be about mods or admin trying to change a forum, it's about a whole community shifting together. Heh.

This is never going to be about mods or admin trying to change a forum,

I'm not sure if that was in reply to my post, but if so, I never for a second implied that it was. Of course it's not, and I don't believe that anyone (maybe with one exception) thinks that's the case. Anyone with a ounce of cop on realises that this whole thread is about the good of the forum, and ultimately boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Elmidena

mackg wrote: »
    Quote: Originally Posted by Tigger viewpost.gif
    so she's defo riding then

good to know

Quote:
    Originally Posted by davet82 viewpost.gif
    thats what you get for breeding...
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boombastic
    Is her boss the father of the child

Stealing these nicely laid out quotes from earlier to give my 2c.

Tigger.... tongue-in-cheek. Absolutely harmless. If there's any offense whatsoever to be had here, it's at Tigger's expense, painting themselves as desperate or obsessive or excessively randy.... and that's REALLY stopping to think about it. A comment like that doesn't deserve in-depth analyses.

Davet82: Very unhelpful, and if they were going for humour, very unfunny. I would describe this as trolling myself, or trying so hard it's painfully obvious. Whilst I agree if the OP wanted a serious discussion she should have gone elsewhere, even her citizen's advice office, I do think this is running in, throwing a mudpie, running out and waiting with a grin on your face for anyone throwing a thanks your way. Not a personal attack on my part, that's just what I got from reading it.

Boombastic: Really? People call this offensive? I despair, I really, really do. It's a joking response but not altogether out of the realms of possibility. The OP can easily respond "none of your business" if they did somehow get offended, but to be quite honest I read it as a funny retort and nothing else. If people want seriousness they can look elsewhere, but if you're digging up holes in posts like this just to have a problem, then there can't really be a problem to begin with. Not worthy of a card at all imo, and hence not worthy of being used as an example.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I like the way the mods are dealing with these posts lately
    it's more visible but we're all still having fun
    good work

bluewolf wrote: »
    good work

Ditto.

On reflection of my earlier post, I shouldn't have used the words "for fear of being banned" I really meant, for fear of offending someone. I suppose that can be looked at as a good thing to some degree, that I'm considering other posters before I reply. However, yesterday I posted in the olympic thread about Usain Bolt being out til 4 am with three of the swedish handball team. I was about to post "legend" and then in my head I had all the thoughts of the "men are legends, women are slags" thing running through my head, so I changed it. There was another post that I completely changed my mind about and didn't post at all. They're most likely my own problem though and no real need to have altered my posts at all. I have a real issue with offending people though, I hate the thoughts of offending anyone, but I also hate that non offensive things can be taken as such.

Meh, I don't know, I'm just throwing thoughts down at this stage. Probably best if I back out now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

good work

Explain? I have no clue what you're talking about but am interested. :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Explain? I have no clue what you're talking about but am interested. :o

the sexist posts in AH
    they're getting pulled up on them more visibly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

the sexist posts in AH
    they're getting pulled up on them more visibly

Ooh that, I noticed that myself. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Same :(

http://garfieldminusgarfield.net/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Another feedback thread successfully ruined by an agenda poster.

Oh well.

We shall persevere.

I have to say, you know I have my fair share of beefs with the mods of Boards.ie but I have to applaud you in, as you say, persevering.
    I'd have washed my hands of this long ago if I was in your shoes. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

It's a whole lot of grey.

Fifty shades of it, in fact?
    *runs away*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Stop the Culchie bashing threads too, they deeply offend me
    Also ban dole bashing threads, the abuse some people get on them is unreal

Anyway, if the people of after hours are going to go around getting offended by every little thing that's posted then they shouldn't be in after hours, after hours is after hours and trying to ban people saying things will just ruin the whole "after hours" idea.
    But someone probably said that already

EDIT: I see it's already been decided, I'm always late to the fuppin party

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

Can i offer a scenario:

A person makes a comment about women

Someone else reports the post as sexist,

the op says it was not and that they are a woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

This won't happen.

It already has IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

sheesh wrote: »
    Can i offer a scenario:

A person makes a comment about women

Someone else reports the post as sexist,

the op says it was not and that they are a woman.

Women can still be sexist towards other women,
    hell women can even be misogynistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,057 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Sharrow wrote: »
    Women can still be sexist towards other women,
    hell women can even be misogynistic.

That's something that I see more of in AH than outright & definable M vs F sexism. It's hard to interpret what people are saying at times, and even harder to determine if the person saying it is being ingenuous and sincere in sharing a simple opinion.

I don't envy mods one bit.. how the hell is it possible to make a judgement call on something that could well be an innocuous and harmless opinion?

In the majority of instances it's better to allow some misguided person to have their opinions openly questioned than it is to delete them and ban the user on sight just for sharing it. The latter doesn't serve either side well.

I'm still of the opinion that it's not an overly apparent or damaging problem in the forum, and think that AH mods can, and are well capable of dealing with it more efficiently when given room to use their own discretion rather than having some concrete and immovable rule thrust upon them regarding such topics.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I don't envy mods one bit.. how the hell is it possible to make a judgement call on something that could well be an innocuous and harmless opinion?
    I reckon it's like good art MniU, often hard to objectively define, but you just know it when you see it. Plus it depends on the user. I've seen some just taking the mickey/having a laugh with a comment* that typed on the keyboard of a couple of some others would look like and would be well out of order. The intention would be very different. I've found that the mods and the community who report such posts get that difference right 99.999% of the time. Like I say, you know it when you see it.

*inc the much berated so called "Feminazis".

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement