Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Gay Byrne not wearing seat belt on Wogans ireland

• 30-01-2011 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭

was watching Wogans Ireland on bbc one earlier and Gay Byrne was in car talking to Terry Wogan and was not wearing seatbelt.

as he is Chair of RSA should he not be wearing his seat belt as he tells us to do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Gaybo your a prick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

Was the car moving ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,200 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I noticed they both had the belt pulled badly over their shoulder. Bad form. I thought he had a bit more cop on given his position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Joe10000 wrote: »
    Was the car moving ?

Yes

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shane732

was watching Wogans Ireland on bbc one earlier and Gay Byrne was in car talking to Terry Wogan and was not wearing seatbelt.

as he is Chair of RSA should he not be wearing his seat belt as he tells us to do?

I really hope that's correct and it turns into an Andy Gray type thing.

Would love to see that dithering idiot gone.

• Advertisement

Joe10000 wrote: »
    Was the car moving ?

Certainly was

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

Bit of an own goal so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭andyseadog

Gay Byrne wrote: »
    Dear oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.

yes indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭corglass

Anyone know anyway of watching this online to pull out a screengrab?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭jaffa20

corglass wrote: »
    Anyone know anyway of watching this online to pull out a screengrab?

It's on bbc iplayer. Anybody in the uk?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭sk8board

yeh, spotted that straight away. they were in a chauffeur driven s-class

maybe it was done so the suits wouldn't be creased for the camera, but for god's sake, surely the producers, cameramen or anyone at all involved in filming would know that you can't put familiar faces like wogan and byrne in a car with no seat belts, and not expect people to notice!

even Peppa pig was compelled to wear an animated seat-belt after they got complaints...

• Registered Users Posts: 80,797 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

Joe Duffy will have a field day with this tomorrow :D

And he cannot even claim he forgot as he appears to have it ever so slightly clipped over his shoulder as if to fool people

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

Took a picture :D

hard to tell from the light, but it looks as though Wogan is wearing his?

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭kwinabeeste

I sent email to RSA looking for an explanation :-D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭CoalBucket

Gay doesn't need to wear a seat belt, in the event of a collision Gay is protected by his aura of smugness.

I sent email to RSA looking for an explanation :-D

brace yourself for no response i'd say :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭hairy sailor

From what i hear the smug wa*ker got his driving licence in the amnesty when the driving test was first introduced,therefore he hasn't sat the test but was first to speak out about provisional licence holder's been allowed to drive alone

Considering Gaybo welcome note on RSA website:

We know from experience and the evidence coming from other countries that road users have a right to expect safer roads. Of course they have obligations too, and the consistent message is that a few simple behavioural changes could save many lives and prevent unnecessary suffering. Changes like:

* A reduction of speed by just 5km
    * Always wearing your seatbelt

I think he certainly needs to comment on his actions

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Joe Duffy will have to hear about this...

Joe-Duffy_RTE_Feb012009.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Leprechaun77

looks to me as if he might actually be wearing his seat belt, but he seems more concerned that it doesn't crease his new shirt and tie.....he's still a muppet either way

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

looks to me as if he might actually be wearing his seat belt, but he seems more concerned that it doesn't crease his new shirt and tie.....he's still a muppet either way

How is he wearing it, it isn't going across his chest at all, how would that stop you flying forward?

Terry has his the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

well people have being trying to strap Gaybo down for some time

but

'it wants no straps'...

Even if he had it clicked on, the pictures show that it is not crossing his body at all. So at best he has it pulled away from his body and at worst he has it pulled over his shoulder to pretend its on. Either way, he is really not wearing his seatbelt.

PaulKK wrote: »
    How is he wearing it, it isn't going across his chest at all, how would that stop you flying forward?

it could be potentially buckled up, but he has taken the chest belt away in favour of his appearance. Why else hold the belt? The belt would cause a crease in his shirt/suit...now we couldn't have him neglecting his appearance could we?

I do agree that it would be useless in the event of a crash though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

Pig sh!t is going to fly down south now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I wouldn't cry if that car hit a brick wall at 100kmph.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

This is something that always bothers me about tv programmes. It would be great if Gaybo got pulled up on it.

I guess it's a pet annoyance of mine because the stretch of road I live on has claimed a few victims over the years and I've lost someone very close to me in similar circumstances.

• Advertisement

Senna wrote: »
    I wouldn't cry if that car hit a brick wall at 100kmph.

I would, but only if it was the wall of my front garden.......I can imagine the amount of time I'd need to spend cleaning up that tripe...and then of course having to read the RSA statement the following day claiming the wall was probably built by a young male driver

Advertisement