Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a Real Runner

• 02-11-2009 7:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Since my last log was all about training for the Dublin City Marathon 2009, I thought if I was going to keep running after that, I would have to start a new one.

So now begins the my process of becoming a real runner. Basically I was a total novice when I started training last february with the DCM in mind. I realised now it is a total noob thing to plan on running a marathon with absolutely no base and no experience of running whatsoever. Miraculously I made it through training and got to the start line. Unfortunately a blow up around 20 miles wrecked my dreams of a 4 hour Run and I had to settle for 4:15.
    I said at the time I would never run a marathon again, but after a weeks reflection I am resigned to the fact that I probably will, but if I do I would want to go into it a hell of a lot better prepared and a proper running base behind me. Over the next year or so I therefore plan on running alot of races in the 5-10k range and put down some serious personal bests. I have never done any speed or interval work before so I look forward to getting out on the track, I also hope to get in some proper hill training once a week. My plan at the moment is to follow some kind of version of the Hal Higdon 10k intermediate training plan through the winter. Short term I will be doing the Jingle Bells 5k run on the 5th December and the Aware 10k the following week.
    I have only ever had 5 races so I currently have set a PB in every race. They are:
    5k: 21.54 (october 2009)
    5Miles: 37:38 (July 2009)
    Half Mara: 1hr48.08 (september 2009)
    Mara: 4hr 15.32 (october 2009)

As you can see my times get progressively worse the longer the distance and so I think with a bit of specific training I can get the times for the short stuff right down. In the medium term I would like to get my 5k time below 21minutes (below 20minutes longish term) 5 miles under 35minutes and post a sub 45minute 10k time.

Maybe next year I will do the Adidas race series again, I would certainly like to get a better time for the half, but that is not the immediate goal or purpose of this log.
    I would appreciate any feedback especially on speedwork which I plan on doing once a week starting next week. With that in mind anybody know of a lit running track that I can use in the evenings in the south dublin area? How much etc?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

This week I will just be getting out and strecthing the legs, before starting my programme next week. Tonight I had my first run since last monday. I did 3 miles in just over 25minutes. 8:30 pace, HR 148

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

I think you're selling yourself short here - you look like a real runner in teh marathon foto you posted!

Good luck with it though, no doubt the shorter distance times will tumble as you get more experienced and build a base. Looking forward to reading about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Hi menoscemo, good luck with the log. I look forward to following it as I have a similar background in terms of races, times and being new to running this year.
    5 PB's this year is some going:D

sideswipe wrote: »
    5 PB's this year is some going:D

Hope to make it 7 after the Jingle bells 5k and aware 10k. I can definately guarantee 6 anyway (cos I have never run a 10k race before :D).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Best of luck with the new log and goals and congrats on the marathon. I'll also be gunning for a PB at the aware 10k, so will see you there.

• Advertisement

Woddle wrote: »
    Best of luck with the new log and goals and congrats on the marathon. I'll also be gunning for a PB at the aware 10k, so will see you there.

what kind of time are you hoping for at the aware? I am thinking that around 46 minutes would set a good marker for me to aim at next year...

Anyway took yesterday off due to inclement weather and the beginings of what felt like a bit of a cold. This evening it was even worse, freezing wind and blustery rain. The head cold had also kicked in but I decided to head out anyway and give the aldi winter gear it's first run out (under layer, lycra trousers, longsleeve top, jacket, hat and gloves) I was so wrapped up that I just left started the garmin and decided not to look at it until the end. I had in mind a 5ish mile lap, so I just stuck newstalk on the phone and ran easy to feel. Felt great and even got a few strides in at the end (first time for me). Turns out the lap was 4.5 miles only.

Anyway Overall: 4.51 miles in 39 minutes. Pace 8:38 HR 151.

Hoping to get a 4 mile hill run at lunchtime tomorrow. I checked on map my run today and it has a 400ft rise in 1.5 miles on the uphill part :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

I've no idea what I'll be capable of and for once I'm not going to call out a time, PB is 44 sth though and I want rectify that.
    I was wrong telling you its a mile from bottom of stolkin lane to the roundabout, its a mile from my house to the roundabout.
    Best of luck with that hill, it's tough going but there's a water fountain at the top if you need it :D

Woddle wrote: »
    I've no idea what I'll be capable of and for once I'm not going to call out a time, PB is 44 sth though and I want rectify that.
    I was wrong telling you its a mile from bottom of stolkin lane to the roundabout, its a mile from my house to the roundabout.
    Best of luck with that hill, it's tough going but there's a water fountain at the top if you need it :D

I was gonna call you out on that one but I though better of infighting in the main forum ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Best of luck with the new log M and best of luck with the shorter races

Just got the Hill run done there at lunch time. Just short of 4 miles in 33 minutes, a real good decent pace though the miles varied from 7minuntes on the downhill to 9min 20 on the up!! Hr strp fell to my waist so i didn't get a good reading, but the good news is I must be losing some weight :D.

Going to the gym this evening for some strength work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Sub430

I will be keeping an eye on this too menoscemo - going to start the same programme on Monday - might even start my own log. Good luck with it all.

Cheers sub430. Yeah startin that programme on monday too. This week is just a warmup. Really enjoyed the uphill run today and looking forward to doing some interval work on the track.

Do you have any races in mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Sub430

Jingles bells 5k for sure, I'm away for the Aware 10k so am looking for a 10k around Leinster in the New Year if you hear of any.

Went out in the lashing rain tonight as punishment for an over-exuberant weekend food and drink wise. Got absolutely soaked and forgot the gloves so my hands were frozen off me. Also I must remember to make sure the water in the hot tank is warm before heading out in the rain again :rolleyes:
    Despite the rain I actually had a very enjoyable run, never looked a the garmin till afterwards because the rain was paying havoc with the bezel/my hands were too cold.
    Turns out it was just over 5 miles in a little more than 45 minutes, so very comfortable pace. HR was an all time low of 142 :eek: lloks like I may be getting some form back.
    Gonna try to find a track to do some intervals on tomorrow night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Good luck with the training and the log Menoscemo.

Trying a similar approach myself with the 10k training to help the speed. Do you have anything particular you're following for the gym re strength work?

HI Redb Not really following a strength plan, I go to the gym once a week and do mostly upperbody weights (Biceps, chest, shoulders, abs). I am going to combine this with a 3 mile jog on the threadmill to get both out of the way together. I also normally do about 50 pressups after joggin once or twice a week, I'd be pretty strong anyway, certainly don't have a runners build.
    I was also thinking of taking up a circuit class or Boxing class and use it as my cross training once a week.

Tonights plan was 6x 400m at 5k pace with walk/jog breaks. I went to the ucd track, which surprisingly is fine despite not being lit. Lots of runners there too which is great from a security point of view though sometimes it is difficult to se them on the straight and people seem to run in both directions tound the track.
    Anyway. First thought was what is 5k pace? My pb is 21:54 which is approx 1:45 laps. Now that was my only 5k and straight after a 20 mile LSR so I think I would normally have been a tough faster, anyway, I felt laps under 1:45 would be fine. Wasn't sure how much to jog in the recover phase, settled on about 200m, though this was very approximate. I with the dark I was never sure where I started the fast lap so some of them were well over 400m a nd some just short. Anyway fast laps were:
    1:40
    1:41
    1:43
    1:37
    1:44
    Overall 4.17km in 20:30
    Quite short and sweet, but really enjoyed it. Maybe I should do 400m recovery jogs in between fast laps to make up the distance? Or maybe I should just do a longer warm up/cool down?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

menoscemo wrote: »
    Anyway fast laps were:
    1:41
    1:43
    1:37
    1:44
    Overall 4.17km in 20:30
    Quite short and sweet, but really enjoyed it. Maybe I should do 400m recovery jogs in between fast laps to make up the distance? Or maybe I should just do a longer warm up/cool down?

I did a track session last night with a running club (WLAC) that involved 6 x 3mins with 1min recovery in between and also felt the better of it as I hadn't been in about 6 months:eek:. Managed about 1.75 laps in each 3mins with splits of 1:40-1:50 for the first lap. By the end I was struggling to make it back to the start (100m) within the 1min recovery period but seemed to be holding the pace and passing others who may have gone off faster initially. Overall about the same distance (6 x 1.75laps = 4.2km in 18mins + 5mins recovery) but running with a group helped 'drag' me along and there was less chance of me wimping out :P. Was still at the back of the group though.
    We did a medium warmup and stretch before and a longer warm down and stretch after.

Thanks RedB, I may look at doing longer intervals in the future. I remember seeing a post in the main forum recommending 4x 1000m with 200m recovery :eek:
    Anyway tonight was gym night so 3mile run + strength. I actually did 5k on the dreadmill and surprisingly quickly for me in 24 minutes. I went to 3.5km at 12kph (5min/km) and was feeling really good so ramped it up to 14kph (4:17/km) which is slightly better than my 5k PB pace. Finished the last 1.5km at that pace with little trouble, hardly sweated which is strange for me on the dreadmill...I guess that was kind of like a mini tempo run...

Strength today was :
    40 pressups x 3
    3 planks (front and both sides) x 30 sec x 3
    Chest press: 60kg x 10 x 3
    Shoulder press: 30kg x 10 x 3
    Ab Crunch: 40kg x 20 x 3
    Bicep curl: 10kg dumbell each arm x 10 x 3

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Hey M.

Nice new log.

Just on the strength training thing - it would be very beneficial to throw in leg work into your routine. Things like squats, lunges, step ups and calf raises really help with the feckin injuries.

• Advertisement

I meant to go out yesterday for a few miles but with the weather and after a hard week's work I couldn't drag myself outside :mad:
    Anyway decided to make up for it today with a super hilly route, up the Cruagh Rd to the Glencree pass and back down the Kilakee Rd. All in the dublin mountains.
    9.25 km in 54 minutes doesn't seem like much, but the hills were pretty severe. The first 4km saw a rise of 330m and according to maymyrun the gradient was over 10% for a solid mile :eek: The first half of the run took 30mins with HR around 165 and the 2nd half was 24mins with HR under 150. Feels like a great workout and the views of the city coming down the mountain were worth the pain of going up. Must take out my camera the next time I do this Run.....

6.15km in 33 minutes tonight. Pace 5:24/km pace 147 HR
    Really disappointed of late not to get out more. Yesterday I planned to go for a run but the weather/tiredness put me off, it is so easy to make excuses and the weather is never that bad once you're out there. Hope to do a c. 10km tempo run tomorrow but there is a chance I'll be called to town for the Ireland match ugghhh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭b12mearse

whats your diet like?

Interesting question, I've been meaning to touch on this on my log. I lost about 3 stone before I took up running (mainly through improved diet). At the start of marathon training I weighed 75kg. At 5"8 that is still quite bulky...after marathon training I still weighed 75kg, I have to say I let my diet go a bit and had no problem eating chocolate/crisps sweets every day. I always justified this as being the energy I burned in running though I kept the core diet OK (LoL).
    While I don't particularly want to be skinny, I think I could do with dropping to about 70kg to improve my times. I am currently 74kg and I have cut out most of the sweets during the week, though at the weekend it all seems to go haywire. At the moment a typical mon-friday day would be:
    Breakfast: Two slices wholemeal toast with honey, yoghart and OJ
    11am coffee and biscuit (whatever has been brought into work)
    Lunch: brown bread sandwich with turkey, ham, tomato, cucumber, beetroot. Banana, bag of crisps and water, then tea
    Dinner, chicken or steak with vegetables (sometimes a few oven chips or noodles)
    Apple for snack later

weekend things go a bit to pot with beer on saturday and takeaway on sunday. I really mean to make a concerted effort to cut out the bad stuff and get down to about 11 stone. I will keep a record of weight in this log every once in a while I guess

Anyway why do you ask b12mearse? What's you stats/goals. There is a nutrition and diet form over here I have found it very useful in the past in terms of educating myself about food.

I lost about a stone and a half in the past 6 months from travelling. I now have taken up running at 14 stone, 5 10.
    I run about 3 miles a night 5-6 times a week at currently 26 minutes.
    I'm pretty suprised at myself that I can run even a mile as it was never my thing.
    I aim to be about 12 stone but my diet is crap. I eat alot of lidl pizzas and oven chips which I'd like to change. But I'm going to focus on my fitness first and make gradual changes as I'm only running 3 weeks or less.

b12mearse wrote: »
    I lost about a stone and a half in the past 6 months from travelling. I now have taken up running at 14 stone, 5 10.
    I run about 3 miles a night 5-6 times a week at currently 26 minutes.
    I'm pretty suprised at myself that I can run even a mile as it was never my thing.
    I aim to be about 12 stone but my diet is crap. I eat alot of lidl pizzas and oven chips which I'd like to change. But I'm going to focus on my fitness first and make gradual changes as I'm only running 3 weeks or less.

My only advice would be take the runs easy.When I started I ran every run for a PB but got burned out quick. If you can invest in a HRM it may be agood thing, I only realised when I had one that I was running all runs at high effort...since keeping the pace comfortable on most runs I have learned to enjoy my runs...you should maybe plan for a race. I will be doing the jingle bells 5k and aware 10k soon- leave your fast running for the race. You'll be amazed how fast you can go when the adrenaline is pumping.
    As for diet, you might feel like you are starving and can eat anything, but in reality 3 miles running only burns about 300 cals, that's not much more than a bag of crisps- Pizzas are probably the worst. For me the best tip for losing weight is eat loads of meat/fish/eggs i.e. protein (but lean stuff not processed) Lean meats will really fill you up on little calories- one full lidl pizza would probably have the same calories as 7 or 8 chicken fillets.

Whats a good time to finish a 5km race at?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

b12mearse wrote: »
    Whats a good time to finish a 5km race at?

There's no simple answer to that, it depends on a lot of things. I know I'd be delighted to go sub-25 minutes, but most of the guys on here would consider that insanely slow.

There's no simple answer to that, it depends on a lot of things. I know I'd be delighted to go sub-25 minutes, but most of the guys on here would consider that insanely slow.

Can you give me any recent Irish Competition times?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

The best of '09 - there's quite a few 5k times from various boardsies here.

(go to the last page)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement