Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi Satnav?

• 18-09-2008 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

Medion GoPal E3230 on sale in Aldi Thursday 25th September €129.99, seems to have pretty good spec, Ireland/Uk and Western Europe maps. I cant find this particular model on the Medion site so it could be discontinued . . . . I'm looking for a satnav at the moment and this seems good value? Anybody with any idea's or knowledge on this model or any other similar product I would appreciate your advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭smodgley

i have a medion sat nav bought in ALDI i have had no probs with it at all ,better than the garmin 1 i had before it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭dmck

I bought this one recently.

http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/1307637/art/takara/gp26-gps-for-europe.html

Used it on holiday in Italy, performed brilliantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭MadDogGreener

Theres a link on Aldi.ie to the Medion site here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Seems we are getting the best deal on this sat nav for a change. In most other countries it is €149 except (Belguim & Luxembourg €129) and their version only has 1Gb memory. The UK is the only other country getting the 2Gb version and it's £119.99 there (approx €152)

Link (in German)

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

No bluetooth on this => not a good buy. Garmin units are prob the best but out there tbh world leader and thousands of extra progams etc for them for free

MC

• Advertisement

No bluetooth on this => not a good buy. Garmin units are prob the best but out there tbh world leader and thousands of extra progams etc for them for free

MC

Lots of people have fitted car kits or non-bluetooth phones for whom this is not an issue. There are even some people who believe it's a distraction to be talking on the phone whilst driving, even handsfree! ;)

Garmin are market leaders here because of a huge marketing spend, that does not necessarily make them the best. I had a Nuvi 300 (before it was stolen) and tbh the address input is awful, most other brands do it much better.

And if you ever need to find Delvin Co. Westmeath (God forbid) then good luck on a Garmin running the latest maps as the address doesn't exist in the database.

Sure navteq maps are considered the best for Ireland but they are not without their faults and there are many other options than just Garmin, Garmin, Garmin.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Do-more wrote: »
    Garmin are market leaders here because of a huge marketing spend, that does not necessarily make them the best. I had a Nuvi 300 (before it was stolen) and tbh the address input is awful, most other brands do it much better.

And if you ever need to find Delvin Co. Westmeath (God forbid) then good luck on a Garmin running the latest maps as the address doesn't exist in the database.

Sure navteq maps are considered the best for Ireland but they are not without their faults and there are many other options than just Garmin, Garmin, Garmin.

Couldn't agree more... Have had two garmin units and hated them. Have a Tom Tom Go730 and find it above and beyond my old garmin. Its a fantastic unit... Heck, my mam has a Route 66 Chicago that I got on ebay for €50, my dad prefares using it to his garmin. Finds the layout much better...

Ah well each to their own I suppose, but just remember next time you fly or take the ferry it won't be a Tomthumb or a medion that the Captain is using to get his position...

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Ah well each to their own I suppose, but just remember next time you fly or take the ferry it won't be a Tomthumb or a medion that the Captain is using to get his position...

MC

When they finally release flying cars then maybe I'll get a Garmin... Till then...

flying-car-m400.jpg

ROFL

Sweet sweet!!!

MC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Biker.ie

Tried the Garmin, Tom Tom (terrible!) and AA Navigator, surprisingly the Medion was best of the bunch! Simple, more intuitive and got it right every time, at least on the routes I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

what about the road angel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭leex

Are future map updates available for these or are they pretty much disposable?

leex wrote: »
    Are future map updates available for these or are they pretty much disposable?

Map updates are available from medionshop.co.uk but as they cost £79.99 sterling for EU maps or £49.99 for UK & Ireland maps they effectively make the unit disposable...

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Murt10

Do-more wrote: »
    Map updates are available from medionshop.co.uk but as they cost £79.99 sterling for EU maps or £49.99 for UK & Ireland maps they effectively make the unit disposable...

Any idea of how up to date the Irish maps that are loaded on it are?

Murt10 wrote: »

Should be the latest release of Navteq maps which should show any roads opened for use up to around June '07.

At least with Aldi your buying safe in the knowledge that if you are not satisfied with the product you can return it for a full refund.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gaillimhabu

Did this work out of the box for people who bought it?
    My problem is I can't enter a city for Ireland. as the letters on the keyboard are disabled.
    If I pick another country apart from Ireland it's fine but then can't re-select Ireland as it's not on the option list.
    Have to then reset it which brings me back to my original problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Cameraman

Murt10 wrote: »

According to the files, the maps are Q4 2007
    My problem is I can't enter a city for Ireland. as the letters on the keyboard are disabled.
    If I pick another country apart from Ireland it's fine but then can't re-select Ireland as it's not on the option list.

No problems with this. Have only tried sample (known) routes so far and it worked fine (though not always my own preferred route - the recalculation was automatic and quick). I wonder if your problem is due to one of the configuration settings - I did find them a bit confusing.

call the help desk number ,i found the excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gaillimhabu

fyi. I rang the helpdesk. The reason the keyboard for Ireland was grayed out/disabled was because the irish maps weren't on the system for some reason. I might have wiped them when messing with the cd that was included. Anyhow just connected it up to the pc and synced the maps to the sat nav again. All working fine again.

• Advertisement

EXCELLENT............. enjoy !!

Advertisement