Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC 12mb/25mb/50mb/100mb BB confirmed.

• 09-05-2011 9:50am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

UPC have just updated their site with the confirmed new packages, so I thought I'd start a new thread, as their is a lot of misinformation in the old thread.

Download - Upload - Cap - Price - Price with phone
    12Mb/s - 1.2Mb/s - 120GB - €25 - €32
    25Mb/s - 2.5Mb/s - 250GB - €35 - €42
    50Mb/s - 5.0Mb/s - 250GB - €45 - €47
    100Mb/s - 7.0Mb/s - 500GB - €65 - €57

Note there is a €7.75 charge if you don't get either TV OR phone. BUT if you get phone, then this charge no longer applies :)

Let me restate that, if you take their phone service you do NOT pay the standalone charge. So really there is no reason not to take their phone service, even if you never use it, as it is 75 cent cheaper. And you actually save €8 on the 100mb BB!!

Yes, that isn't a typo, 100mb BB + phone is only €57, fantastic price.

Bundles:
    Fibre Power Starter - €60 - 25Mb BB - Digital Value TV with Digital+ - Home Phone with Freetime World.
    Fibre Power Essential - €65 - 25Mb BB - Digital Select Extra TV with Digital+ - Home Phone with Freetime World.
    Fibre Power Ultimate - €75 - 50Mb BB - Digital Max TV with Digital+ - Home Phone with Freetime World.

Use the following link to get a €50 voucher when you sign up to one of these new packages:
    http://www.upc.ie/boardsoffer/

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

So the entry level 10mb product is staying, but has now been bumped to 12mb download and 1.2mb upload for just €25 or €32 with phone. That is a fantastic deal for entry level BB. Way faster and cheaper then the next closest Vodafone.

Plus 100Mb bb + phone for just €57, that is just mind blowing.

Hell Eircom charge €62 for just their crappy 24mb BB !!

My only complaint is the caps. I think the 50mb should have a 500GB cap and the 100mb at least a 750GB cap, preferably a 1000GB cap. It is kind of silly that both the 25mb product and the 50mb product have the same cap.

But otherwise these new prices are ground breaking. These are going to devastate the competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Well feck me that's great news. Delighted with the 12MB price especially with phone, thanks OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭coadyd

it sucks that the new bundle prices are for new customers only :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Thanks for the info BK. By the way have you the download and upload the wrong way around?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

You have your upload - download speeds mixed up again bk.

Have to wait on a call back from upc's loyalty department to get the new deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

42 euro for 25m and phone?

may as well take the phone option rather than paying 7.75 for nothing :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Thanks for the info BK. By the way have you the download and upload the wrong way around?
    Clover wrote: »
    You have your upload - download speeds mixed up again bk.

Thanks, fixed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭CO19

So those on the 8mb stay on that or will they be upgraded to the 12 at some point ?

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ciaran75

coadyd wrote: »

Where in the Terms and Conditions does it say new customers only or am i blind.

UPC Digital TV, Digital+, Fibre Power Broadband and Home Phone services are only available to enabled homes. Installation is carried out by a third party installer. UPC will not be responsible for the installation. A €40 Equipment Activation fee applies for every Digital box or Fibre Power Broadband service ordered. Orders placed online will get an online order credit of €20 for each Digital box or Fibre Power Broadband service. Choose to connect the services yourself to receive a further €20 credit for each Digital box or Fibre Power Broadband service. The UPC Fibre Power Broadband 100Mb service is only available to enabled homes and installation is carried out by a third party installer, therefore it is not an option to connect the service yourself and the self-install credit of €20 is not applicable. Free connection for Multiroom Viewing assumes an active cable outlet box is already in place for each additional point, otherwise a connection fee of €50 applies to each box ordered. A HD TV is required for our Digital+ HD service. Special Offer – Sky Sports free for 2 months applies to new TV customers only. The normal rate will apply at the end of the offer period. Setanta Premium offer applies to new Setanta Premium customers only. The normal rate will apply at the end of the offer period. Double your speed for €5 extra a month refers to increasing your broadband speed from 25Mb to 50Mb. To increase your speed from 25Mb to 100Mb is an additional €15 a month and to increase your speed from 50Mb to 100Mb is an additional €10 a month. All services are billed monthly and are payable by Direct Debit. A €3 charge applies to all bills for non-Direct Debit customers. A €10 Downgrade Administration Fee will be applied anytime you downgrade any element of your service. Subject to a minimum contract period of twelve months for all services. A cancellation fee will apply should you cancel your service during the first twelve months. Freetime World provides free off-peak local and national fixed landline calls and 400 off-peak international minutes per month to fixed landline numbers (excludes calls to mobile, premium rate, SMS and non geographic numbers) in selected international destinations, standard rates apply thereafter. Anytime World provides free local and national fixed landline calls and 400 free international minutes at any time per month to fixed landline numbers (excludes calls to mobile, premium rate, SMS and non geographic numbers) in selected international destinations, standard rates apply thereafter. Calls to the USA exclude calls to Hawaii and Alaska. Calls to 11890 will revert to standard pricing on 1 July 2011. The Home Phone service is provided on an IP protocol which depends on access to an electrical supply. In the event of a power failure, we advise customers to use alternative arrangements, e.g. mobile phones. There is a charge of €15 for the first phone handset at point of sale. The charge for each additional phone handset is €35. UPC guarantee the handset provided for 6 months from date of installation. Any fault that occurs thereafter is the sole responsibility of the customer. Arrangements for the payment of the DSP Telephone Allowance should be made directly with the DSP. A wireless modem is included with the Fibre Power Broadband 25Mb and 50Mb services. A high speed wireless enabled modem is included with the Fibre Power Broadband 100Mb service. If a customer downgrades their Fibre Power Broadband 25Mb, 50Mb or 100Mb service within the first 4 months of installation they will be charged the €49.99 installation fee for the wireless modem. *All Home Phone and Fibre Power Broadband services are subject to ouracceptable usage policy . The monthly data transfer allowance is 120GB for Fibre Power Broadband 12Mb, 250GB for Fibre Power Broadband 25Mb and 50Mb and 500GB for Fibre Power Broadband 100Mb. Average expected broadband speeds at peak times are 12Mb, 25Mb, 50Mb and 100Mb for our Fibre Power Broadband packs. Broadband speeds are the maximum possible speeds only. Actual speeds will vary depending on internet traffic, the sites you visit and other factors. As our Fibre Power Broadband service is provided over the UPC fibre power cable you do not require an eircom landline to access this service. Equipment remains the property of UPC so there is no charge for service technician visits. Prices include VAT. Residential use only. Regional channel variations may apply. Fibre Power Starter is based on a comparison to Sky 1 entertainment pack and eircom NGB regular 8Mb Broadband & eircom talktime chatter which has a combined price of €74.78 a month. Fibre Power Essential is based on a comparison to Sky 3 entertainment packs with ESPN and eircom NGB regular 8Mb Broadband & eircom talktime chatter which has a combined price of €90.78 a month. Fibre Power Ultimate is based on a comparison to Sky 5 entertainment packs with ESPN and eircom 24Mb Broadband & talktime chatter which has a combined price of €112.99 a month. eircom rates taken from www.eircom.ie. Sky rates taken from www.sky.com. These terms and conditions are in addition to UPC’s customer Terms and Conditions. Information correct as at 05/11.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

I signed up to the equivilent of the now Fibre Power Essential bundle a month ago. That had 20MB so do i need to call to upgrade to Fibre Power Essential in order to get my 5MB extra or will this be automatic?. And this stays a 250GB cap?

• Advertisement

coadyd wrote: »

That isn't the case according to UPC twitter account.

All the call center staff might not be trained up properly yet, I'm sure there won't be any problem upgrading to the new packages. It might take a few days for them to get everyone up to speed, just be patient *.

* I know it is hard, I think everyone is very excited about these new products.

You are all so lucky, I'm stuck on just 10mb BB from stupid Smart Telecom.

CO19 wrote: »
    So those on the 8mb stay on that or will they be upgraded to the 12 at some point ?
    I signed up to the equivilent of the now Fibre Power Essential bundle a month ago. That had 20MB so do i need to call to upgrade to Fibre Power Essential in order to get my 5MB extra or will this be automatic?. And this stays a 250GB cap?

You need to ring up to upgrade, subject to a new 12 months contract *.

They may eventually automatically upgrade people, but it might be a few months before that happens.

* Hardly a hardship, these are great deals and there won't be anyone else come within miles of these offers in the next 12 months. It is only a problem for people who think they might have to move.

bk wrote: »
    You need to ring up to upgrade, subject to a new 12 months contract *.

They may eventually automatically upgrade people, but it might be a few months before that happens.

* Hardly a hardship, these are great deals and there won't be anyone else come within miles of these offers in the next 12 months. It is only a problem for people who think they might have to move.

Thanks for that bk ;) I think I'll stay as I am on the 8mb for €23 as the 4 extra mb for the extra €2 isn't worth it as you'd hardly notice the speed increase.

CO19 wrote: »
    Thanks for that bk ;) I think I'll stay as I am on the 8mb for €23 as the 4 extra mb for the extra €2 isn't worth it as you'd hardly notice the speed increase.

But don't forget the increase in upload speed also.

Personally I find an increase in upload speed even more important then the download speed. More and more people are using cloud services, uploading pictures, etc.

Just something to think about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭stanley1

there does not appear to be an option of phone with 12mb offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭dMaN24

I just signed up for the 100+phone for 57. :)
    I almost got the 80 euro deal first. Lucky break finding this.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,180 ✭✭✭✭ted1

just kicked Eircom the kerb......

went with the 50mb. no need for 100. although i can alwsy upgrade if i get the urge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

Got my call back from upc's loyalty team and have an install date for the 100Mb on Wednesday :D .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

ted1 wrote: »
    just kicked Eircom the kerb......

went with the 50mb. no need for 100. although i can alwsy upgrade if i get the urge.

I changed from the old 20Mb to the new 25Mb for an extra €1 per month much faster upload well worth it.
    1287973919.png

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭dMaN24

Clover wrote: »
    Got my call back from upc's loyalty team and have an install date for the 100Mb on Wednesday :D .

Uncool.. I have no internet, and will have to wait until friday. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Captain Commie

hmm, an extra fiver to go from 30MB on the fiber rapid to 50MB on the new Fiber Ultimate, not sure im reading that right, but if i am happy days (even tho going down a fiver to 25MB is still good enough)

hmm, an extra fiver to go from 30MB on the fiber rapid to 50MB on the new Fiber Ultimate, not sure im reading that right, but if i am happy days (even tho going down a fiver to 25MB is still good enough)

You need a new modem to go onto the 50Mb or above.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Inept UPC as always... they had no problem upgrading me, then I get the spiel that 50 and 100Mbps are not available in my area...

I have been out of contract for ages and eventually got upgraded from 20 to 25... today they automatically upgraded me to 30 (without me asking) but it costs me €42 a month so I asked them to downgrade me to the 25 (which I always have been on) for €35 and they still charge me the €10 downgrade fee for the privilege! Unfortunately, there are no realistic alternatives to UPC so have to put up with them as always. At least it still works out cheaper in the long run for the same connection I've had for awhile now. Still wish I could have had the 100Mbps instead :(.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Reintroducing an entry level package for €25 allows them to continue their marketing strap that they can offer broadband cheaper than eircom line rental. It was really silly not offering someting for €25 a month, glad they saw sense after a week of 25mbit entry level.

( yes I KNOW t and cs apply but more people have UPC TV than UPC BB even nowadays)

J-blk wrote: »
    Inept UPC as always... they had no problem upgrading me, then I get the spiel that 50 and 100Mbps are not available in my area...

I have been out of contract for ages and eventually got upgraded from 20 to 25... today they automatically upgraded me to 30 (without me asking) but it costs me €42 a month so I asked them to downgrade me to the 25 (which I always have been on) for €35 and they still charge me the €10 downgrade fee for the privilege! Unfortunately, there are no realistic alternatives to UPC so have to put up with them as always. At least it still works out cheaper in the long run for the same connection I've had for awhile now. Still wish I could have had the 100Mbps instead :(.

The 50 Mb and above use a new modem.
    There use a few downstream channels at once to get the full speed.
    Your area must not have enough bandwidth to support these new modems yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Ranicand wrote: »
    The 50 Mb and above use a new modem.
    There use a few downstream channels at once to get the full speed.
    Your area must not have enough bandwidth to support these new modems yet.

Yeah, figured the 50/100 packages are basically linked spec wise - if you can't get one, you can't get the other. Just annoyed about the downgrade fee but in the long run, I'll be getting the same speed/cap (which I was pretty happy with) for €7 cheaper a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭stanley1

just checked speed on upc site, seems I have gone from 8mb to 10mb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Captain Commie

just called and upgraded to 50MB package, quick note to anyone wanting to upgrade, there is a €20 charge to get the new thompson modem and if u wanna go to 100 its 40 as they have to send a tech.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Reintroducing an entry level package for €25 allows them to continue their marketing strap that they can offer broadband cheaper than eircom line rental. It was really silly not offering someting for €25 a month, glad they saw sense after a week of 25mbit entry level.

I don't think they ever planned to stop offering the entry level 10/12Mb product, there was just some confusion and a lot of rumours flying last week.

I think they meant that the 25Mb/s was the entry level product for what you could get in a bundle.

Which makes a lot of sense marketing wise. They can claim that their entry level 25Mb/s product starts above the highest speed available from Eircom.

Of course it also makes a lot of sense to continue the 10/12Mb/s for €25 to compete with low end DSL and mobile BB products.

• Advertisement

stanley1 wrote: »
    just checked speed on upc site, seems I have gone from 8mb to 10mb.

Did you unplug your modem then plug it back in and do the test and discover your speed is on the 10mb ?

Advertisement