Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

life in ireland for the over 50s

• 27-04-2010 5:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

how do you live in Ireland when your over 50s what is there to do. how do you survive, do you feel safe. how do you get treated by the under 25s I tried to live there after years away.( i was going to retire) and found it just HELL. the way things are. my impression is once your over 40s your finish in Ireland. And your not safe i also notice nearly every week over 50s are attack in there homes or walking the streets AND NO ONE CARES you will see no marches or demonstrations because it seem your Irish. so what. so if you are under 40s is this what you have to look forward to.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

You have to give more info on where, dude. Are we talking inner city or suburban Dublin, the sticks, or what?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Maybe, but only if you're socially isolated. Most of my fellows over 40 are married, in relationships have family and or friends. In that case they're in a more supportive framework than most 22 year olds.

My concern would be that more people out there are becoming more socially isolated. Go back 50 years and a man or woman would expect to get hitched and have a family in the fullness of time. They would also expect a life time job and some level of respect and use in the community. Today the future is more fluid and less certain. there are many men and women at 40, separated, and/or childless and/or never even having had a relationship. That may get worse, or things like the web may obviate that in novel ways. Actually there were plenty of bachelor farmers in the past, so with the tech now that isolation should be less.

Hard to say basically, though IMHO anyway 40+ year olds are as safe or not as 20 year olds. I'd say safer actually.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

As one of the older Boardsies I have to say that I'm having the best time of my life. I'm doing stuff now that I would never get away with in my youth. I'm no longer under the thumb of my peers or parents or what is accepted as 'Normal'. I'm confident enough to hold my fingers up to other peoples perceptions and tell 'em to "**** Off".

These days I'm comfortable telling gangs of youths to shut up, turn down your iPod, give up your seat, pick up that litter, fup off out of my face...I have more confidence now then ever before. I'm happy to walk in areas that I would never venture into as a youth.

So, what is there to do as an (almost) over 50? Everything! What do you wnat to do? Build a boat, fly a kite, learn to play an instrument, press flowers, take up judo... Age is no limit, your imgaination is. As for gaining the respect of the under 25's, treat them like people and they'll treat you the same way.

As for attacks on over 50's all I can say is that you'll find victims in every country, the young, the old, the infirm but you can't live your life in fear, that no life at all.

What do the under 40's have to look forward to? Best time of their lives as far as I'm concerned.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

mullen wrote: »
    I tried to live there after years away.
    I'm guessing you came back to an Ireland you remembered with rose tinted glasses, and got something that no longer fit your image for an ideal retirement. That, and I'm guessing most of your old frineds would've moved away, or lost contact with you.

Now that you're in the USA, I'm sure you'll be getting a gun "for protection"... also, due to the large cities, you may have more of a chance of coming across a club for older people than you would have in your home town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭0verblood

OldGoat wrote: »
    As one of the older Boardsies I have to say that I'm having the best time of my life. I'm doing stuff now that I would never get away with in my youth. I'm no longer under the thumb of my peers or parents or what is accepted as 'Normal'. I'm confident enough to hold my fingers up to other peoples perceptions and tell 'em to "**** Off".

These days I'm comfortable telling gangs of youths to shut up, turn down your iPod, give up your seat, pick up that litter, fup off out of my face...I have more confidence now then ever before. I'm happy to walk in areas that I would never venture into as a youth.

So, what is there to do as an (almost) over 50? Everything! What do you wnat to do? Build a boat, fly a kite, learn to play an instrument, press flowers, take up judo... Age is no limit, your imgaination is. As for gaining the respect of the under 25's, treat them like people and they'll treat you the same way.

As for attacks on over 50's all I can say is that you'll find victims in every country, the young, the old, the infirm but you can't live your life in fear, that no life at all.

What do the under 40's have to look forward to? Best time of their lives as far as I'm concerned.

Do you have any mental sessions?

• Advertisement

In what way?
    I'm lucky in that my mental facilities are still in fine fettle.
    I don't suffer from depression, social phobia, agoraphobia,anxiety, stress, early onset alzheimers or any other of the mental issues that younger folk automatically believe everyone over the age of 40 seem to suffer. There might be a touch of OCD but thats a lifeling issue and I find it helpful to keep a tidy desk.:)
    My anxiety levels are fine, no excessive mood swings, have no conduct disorders (unless hedinism is included in that catagory) and no substance abuse or dependency.
    I'm not an exception but part of the norm for my age group.

All I'm trying to point out is the there is an opposing view to that laid out in the OP. Youth already have a fear of getting old and posts like that simply fuel those fears.

Without wishing to belittle the OP's post in any way you could think of the posts as being the optimist/pessimest versions of your future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Gaz

LOL ... I think he meant session as in "on the piss".

That would have been a compleatly off the topic question really wouldn't it? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

Anyone else seen these adverts? Simple concept in fairness but very powerful. Using respected actors/celeb types, who in fairness no one really classes as "old".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

I get what the OP is saying.

I lived outside Ireland for close to 10 years and there were a few things.It wasnt just Dublin but even places like Navan were fairly rough.Part of it was the drug culture that came into Ireland very quickly. I wasnt 50 coming back either -closer to 30.

Another aspect is that as Irish people we often have an image of ourselves as happy lovely people and the land of a thousand welcomes (and in the same breath a nation of begrudgers).That is not nesscessarily true.

By comparison -central London with its almost blanket coverage of CCTV I find safer. You dont get people coming up cadging cigerettes etc as you do here and its got a safer feel to it. Maybe its an illusion but it feels safer.

He is right there is little socially for over 50s and in that way Ireland is bad. Like where would an over 50 go on the pull??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

mullen wrote: »
    how do you live in Ireland when your over 50s what is there to do. how do you survive, do you feel safe. how do you get treated by the under 25s I tried to live there after years away.( i was going to retire) and found it just HELL. the way things are. my impression is once your over 40s your finish in Ireland.

OldGoat has it spot on mullen.
    I'm afraid that it's more to do with you being away for a long time than it has to do with age.
    Ireland is not the same country as you remember from your youth. It has changed.
    As with any other new country you move to, it takes time to adjust and settle into the way things are now.
    I'm wondering, how much time you took to come to your conclusions and did you actually have a positive attitude towards your retirement here?

I'm over 40 and have to say am very happy with my lot.
    I'm never stuck for stuff to do. Good wine. Good restaurants, wine with friends. A great dvd collection. Xbox. Hotels in the country. Gardening. The net. Did I mention wine?
    I don't have enough time in the day!
    There are lots of negative things I could say about Ireland, but there are also a lot of positive ones. It's all about your mental attitude towards life.

Think if I had loads of dosh and could retire, I'd pick a nice spot somewhere along the west coast. There are some truely beautiful spots to be found there.
    Course, I'd also have my villa in the South of France for the winter months.
    Near a vineyard.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭atkin

Hi,
    I am 56 still young enough to work .On this I think it may have been better if the government gave incentives for employers to employ older people.This before 2006 when new EU were allowed to come without much restriction like other EU . The newspapers now regard those on the dole long term as malingerers seems to be fine to say without reference to nationality.
    I do not get abuse from younger except on boards.I went to a disco 2 times in the last few year and got heckled each time. I still regard myself as a bit young for the Adult dances.
    I was in the Garda station and saw a notice a while ago 190,000 separated men at risk of depression.Well for me with 2 divorces I think depression was more likely having to remain married.
    Like mentioned earlier I am more happy now and have the freedom. I cannot find a woman here .
    I go to Asia and enjoy relationships there .My attitude remains liberal bolder as I get older

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Good god, why would you necro this with such a pointless post?

Or did you just want to find a new way to speak the nonsense you posted on AH?

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Good god, why would you necro this with such a pointless post?

Or did you just want to find a new way to speak the nonsense you posted on AH?

My life is not so straight forward as yours I envy you.I feel off the rails.
    you mean necro .Yes I was given a vaccine in 2010 for the flu virus.
    You may remember some children suffered from it .I did too.
    I see a Physiologist for 6-7 hours once a year not by appointment.
    I am certified sane.Feck you are just like 'her'.
    Hey people do crazy things not illegal would life not be dull without it.
    When you see people drunk when you are sober.
    Hey its just a wind up by the young lads on AH.
    They have a ban hammer Gordon is in the lead for the most bans.
    I am trying to beat him.Idle minds.
    I love your sense of humour.
    And pops if you are over 70 bout time they means tested your medical card .
    Lets see you spout like last time .Us under 70 had to take a welfare cut .
    You lot get off to light !!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

tumblr_m6toc8tVPx1r0schv.jpg

Sonics2k wrote: »
    tumblr_m6toc8tVPx1r0schv.jpg

I added a bit to it as well read on .I would vote for Ming any day if he supported means test over 70 for a medical card .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

I'm 50+ and life is great. Ireland is a great place to live and Ranelagh is great too. Lots to do. Never get ignored by under 30s, I get on great with them. Dated a 28yo the year before last ;) Walk all over town at night. No problem.

The OP is living in some bizarre caricature of the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

I think we're done here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement