Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT Expired but Test booked... Help

• 18-05-2010 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

I just rang to book my test for my NCT there and the earliest I was told I can book a date for is August! :eek:

What happens if I am stopped by a guard in the meantime? While it is my duty to have the car NCT'd, is 3 months a reasonable wait time? I don't know what to do... She said I can ring back daily and see if there are cancellations.

What should I do? Any help would be appreciated. I didn't book the date for August... should I have?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

Tbh, I don't think 3 months is particularly reasonable at all. I wouldn't wait that long personally. Try a different test centre?

If you get pulled over in the mean time, provided you have the documentation to prove you're booked in in 3 months time, the Gardai won't have any issue with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

free nct:D

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭firebug_guy

Thats what I'll do so, I'll ring and book the NCT for August so I have a letter - and it should be free. Thanks guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

stevefinn wrote: »
    free nct:D

no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

once you have letter confirming test is booked for X date - you should be okay

• Advertisement

So I just rang them back and explained my situation - the lady said I could book it for August and I would have a letter or they could put me on a "priority" list but I wouldn't have a letter until a date became available.

So, I then threw in the "test date within 28 days = free test" line, and next thing she moved me to another list and said I would be contacted within 28 days if a test became available in my area. I asked "How would I be contacted?" and she said letter/text depending on how close the test is. She noted the date of request as today and to verify at the end I asked "So, If I don't get called for a test in the next 4 weeks, I will get my test for free" and she said "exactly..."

I'll keep ye posted but something tells me I won't be waiting long!
    *fingers crossed*

Now I am just hoping I don't get stopped by the guards - either way, the request has been put in for the test (I just don't have the paper to prove it).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

What a mess..

I admire how calm you are about this firebug_guy. I'd be fuming. I've my test tomorrow. Took one month.

I hope we don't fail these tests and have to wait another few months!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Lads, ye're making a mountain out of a molehill here. What you do is:

Book the test, for any date

Change the date online for a cancellation

If you're flexible with times/dates and you spend a little time online you'll have the car tested within a couple of days.

What a mess..

I admire how calm you are about this firebug_guy. I'd be fuming. I've my test tomorrow. Took one month.

I hope we don't fail these tests and have to wait another few months!!

I'm not that bothered... Just don't fancy being caught out. Clean license, everything else is in order, I just let the NCT slip!

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭dublinhead

Anan1 wrote: »
    Lads, ye're making a mountain out of a molehill here. What you do is:

Book the test, for any date

Change the date online for a cancellation

If you're flexible with times/dates and you spend a little time online you'll have the car tested within a couple of days.

Thats exactly what I did and I got the test within the week. No big deal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Dazzy

I've booked two NCT's for seperate cars in the past 3 weeks. The first I booked online and was able to get it within two weeks in the local Deansgrange test centre. At the time there were loads of available test places.

For the second test I tried to book it a couple of weeks later online but I couldn't get a date within the next 2 months. Sent the NCT an email and they came back with a date in Aug. Since then I was able to go online and get a booking for 1st June.

The reason I mailed them was that I couldn't get a date online and the NCT is currently out.

In my experience if you just keep checking online places free up all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I understand what some of you are saying. But I'm not flexible at all so I have to jump on the normal bandwagon.

I used to ring in the mornings for cancellations. I'd usually get lucky on Monday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭unattendedbag

The problem is the letter of the law. A car can be siezed by a Garda under section 41 of the road traffic act if there is not in place a valid test certificate in rspect of the vehicle. or something like that. So technically if the NCT was expired on the 30th April and you were driving to the NCT test on the 1st of May your car can still be siezed. It would help if they ammended the law to allow for cars with tests booked to be able to drive until then, however maybe the lawmakers didnt expect NCT centres to have backlogs. At the end of the day any Garda will use their discretion and let you go on if you have a test booked, unless your a boy-racer or criminal and they are just looking for any excuse to take your car off you.

The problem is the letter of the law. A car can be siezed by a Garda under section 41 of the road traffic act if there is not in place a valid test certificate in rspect of the vehicle. or something like that. So technically if the NCT was expired on the 30th April and you were driving to the NCT test on the 1st of May your car can still be siezed. It would help if they ammended the law to allow for cars with tests booked to be able to drive until then, however maybe the lawmakers didnt expect NCT centres to have backlogs.
    The NCT can be done up to 3 months early, so none of this is necessary.;)

The NCT can be done up to 3 months early, so none of this is necessary.;)

Is it true though, suppose your NCT is up on April 30th, and you book your test for Feb 1st (3 months beforehand), that your new NCT cert will only be issued until Feb 1st 2012.

You've lost 3 months then?

Is it true though, suppose your NCT is up on April 30th, and you book your test for Feb 1st (3 months beforehand), that your new NCT cert will only be issued until Feb 1st 2012.

You've lost 3 months then?
    No, the NCT will be valid for 2 years from the due date regardless of whether it's done early, on time, or late.

No, the NCT will be valid for 2 years from the due date regardless of whether it's done early, on time, or late.

Oh! Will have my skates on next time around so... (This is my first NCT despite being a driver for 3 years)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

i had the exact same problem,i have a letter now confirming a date in august , i know someone who rang up last week and got a date in 2 weeks in the same feckin test centre!! the catch is though their nct expired over a year ago, mine isnt up until the end of june,

its like a lottery,

next time im ringing them 3 months before it expires:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

check everyday for canclelations.I booked for June 1st today...the whole week suddenly had appointments availalble everyday (Blarney, Cork)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

The problem is the letter of the law. A car can be siezed by a Garda under section 41 of the road traffic act if there is not in place a valid test certificate in rspect of the vehicle. or something like that. So technically if the NCT was expired on the 30th April and you were driving to the NCT test on the 1st of May your car can still be siezed. It would help if they ammended the law to allow for cars with tests booked to be able to drive until then, however maybe the lawmakers didnt expect NCT centres to have backlogs. At the end of the day any Garda will use their discretion and let you go on if you have a test booked, unless your a boy-racer or criminal and they are just looking for any excuse to take your car off you.

Then you would have lads/lassies booking their car in for 5mths late in the hope that they can put off fixing the defects until then, especially if they plan to sell it before then. Many people seem to try for a little bit more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

corktina wrote: »
    check everyday for canclelations.I booked for June 1st today...the whole week suddenly had appointments availalble everyday (Blarney, Cork)

christ i would have booked in blarney if i got a date that close!

il see can i check online to get a better date, a guy in work got the 2nd june today, after me being told 6th august was the earliest date, thats little island,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

yes I was amazed, did they take on a new tester or something?

Just to follow up with ye, I got home from work last Friday and had a letter in the door... have my NCT THIS friday...

No time wasted there - and I didnt have to keep calling back for cancellations. Its the way to go! :D

Advertisement