Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Knitting - help and advice super thread!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭TreasureBin

You need to follow the stitches.
    If, for example, you start the row with a knit stitch and then purl stitch, after increasing you will need to start with a purl stitch and then knit stitch, if you see what I mean?
    So, before you work the stitch, look at it to see if it should be knit or purl to keep your design the same.
    I'm guessing it says in the pattern something like ("keeping all stitches correct")

• Registered Users Posts: 37 helqui

Hi Gatica. The lines are horizontal. The pattern just says to increase and working into patt 1 st at each end of 5th row and every following 12th row. I increased by knitting into front and back of stitch. Also the row is all knit with a sl st at the beginning. Thanks for ur reply :-D

Hi TreasureBin, it says to continue in pattern. Which is Row 1 (right side) Sl 1 knit to end. Row 2 Sl 1 Pl, K1 below repeat to last 2 sts, P1, K1. Do I increase after the Sl stitch and again at the last stitch? I can't work out how to keep the pattern consistant. Thanks a mill for replying :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭Gatica

Many knitters slip the first stitch to keep the edges smoother, if you're increasing at the start of a row, it may be best not to slip the first stitch, but to do the increase with that first stitch.
    Here's a whole list (as on wiki but with videos) of different increases: http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/increases. Best one for increasing by one at the start of a row would probably be what you're doing, knit front and back of first stitch, then continue, no need to slip the first stitch. After you do this just look at your knitting to make sure that your increase looks smooth on the RS where you did the knit increase, sometimes if you don't put the needle in the right way you could end up with what looks like a purl on the RS of your fabric. I can't figure how your horizontal line is forming, but you might be pulling your knitting too tight and it makes your whole row tighten. Is that it?
    Does it actually say to do an increase at the start and end of each row or just to increase on both sides? Most of the time increases are done inside the selvedge stitches (like 1 or 2 knit stitches that border your knitting so you can sew pieces together) if doing increases on both side. If it's an increase at the very edge of you rows, then I haven't really seen them done at the start of a row, but rather you do them at the end of each row that you knit, and if you're doing an even number of rows, the increases work out pretty even on both sides.

Thanks Gatica and TreasureBin for the advice. Redoing the sleeve and its perfect. Delighted :-D

• Advertisement

Thanks Gatica and TreasureBin for the advice. Redoing the sleeve and its perfect. Delighted :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭mrsmiawallace6

please help i am stuck on new pattern

1st row – Knit
    ** 2nd row – Sl 1, Knit to last st, turn
    3rd and 4th rows- Sl 1, Knit to last 2 sts, turn
    5th and 6th rows- Sl 1, Knit to last 3 sts, turn
    continue working one st less at end of every row, until 8 sts remain unworked at each end.

i though it did it right but i dont have any unworked stitches

Hh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 26 louised88

please help i am stuck on new pattern

1st row – Knit
    ** 2nd row – Sl 1, Knit to last st, turn
    3rd and 4th rows- Sl 1, Knit to last 2 sts, turn
    5th and 6th rows- Sl 1, Knit to last 3 sts, turn
    continue working one st less at end of every row, until 8 sts remain unworked at each end.

i though it did it right but i dont have any unworked stitches

Hh.jpg

you should definitely have unworked stitches if you're following the pattern.

If for example, you've cast on 20 stitches, for this pattern you'd knit the first row,
    2nd row: SL1, Knit 18 and then turn, leaving the last stitch unworked.
    3rd and 4th row: SL 1, K17 and then turn, leaving last two stitches unworked.

indeed, you should have something that's circular or triangular shaped, depending on how many stitches you had to start with, and this should be done in 16 rows according to your pattern (8 slipped stitches on each side)

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭liv491

Hi everyone,

My aunt bought a brother KR850 but she cannot find the cast on comb, anyone able to point me in the right direction, I have googled but not coming up with much :(:( , Thanks in advance for help & advice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

The Kr850 is a ribber, does she also have the Kh860?

She could just use her main bed cast on comb.

Other wise I get my spares form Sunny Choi in Hong Kong:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/CAST-ON-PLATE-4-5mm-Brother-Knitting-Machine-KR838-850-/320218805605?pt=UK_Crafts_Knitting_Crochet_EH&hash=item4a8e873565

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Hi all,
    I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on modifying a sleeve to make a short sleeve cardi can rather than long sleeve? It's for a baby. The pattern is just a standard knit in 5 pieces stockinette stitch. Just wondering what to do about the shapings?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 MatureStudent

How long do you want the sleeve to be? You could simply avoid shaping altogether, start with the number of stitches after the shaping.

How long do you want the sleeve to be? You could simply avoid shaping altogether, start with the number of stitches after the shaping.

I think that might be the easiest solution. I don't really mind exactly how short it ends up just don't want full length. Thanks for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭Gormal

Hi, I have a set of bamboo circular needles, (China job, so crappy tube/cables) I'm wondering if it's possible to convert them to interchangeable ones. I know you can buy the cables, but can't find the bits that go onto the needle that they screw into.
    Or where I can get sturdy tubing that won't break.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 louised88

I don't think you can? You can buy cables for around €3 in This is Knit in the Powerscourt Centre and the interchangeable tips, but all my interchangables had the screw part already built into the needle tip, I've never seen them for sale separately (I don't think you can even remove them)

agree with above, I've never heard of making your own interchangeable needles.
    Interchangeable are more expensive for a reason, and not only the fact that the screws are already in, but you want the whole surface to be smooth, so your thread doesn't snag when it rubs over the tube/screw/needle joint.

I didn't think you could get those bits either. Thanks, I'll see if I can source more sturdy tubing.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Redser87

Hello knitters, it's my first time posting on this thread, long-time knitter though.
    I am trying to think of what I could knit as a retirement present for a female relative. For weddings and new babies I make patchwork blankets, and I have also made Aran jumpers for significant birthdays, but neither of them seems quite right. If anyone has any ideas/ patterns I would be very grateful. I would be able for fairly intricate stuff but definitely knitting, not crochet.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭TreasureBin

How about a shawl? You could use fine yarn and big needles, for a lacy lightweight finish.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Or something cabled? I made a cabled scarf and mittens set for a friend who was graduating and she loved them.

Redser87 wrote: »
    Hello knitters, it's my first time posting on this thread, long-time knitter though.
    I am trying to think of what I could knit as a retirement present for a female relative. For weddings and new babies I make patchwork blankets, and I have also made Aran jumpers for significant birthdays, but neither of them seems quite right. If anyone has any ideas/ patterns I would be very grateful. I would be able for fairly intricate stuff but definitely knitting, not crochet.

Maybe a cowl/snood, cape or if you don't want to make something wearable, how about a cushion cover these are ravelry links, you should join if you haven't already.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Redser87

Thanks for the links Gormal, yup I love ravelry all right :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 inegy

Hi, can someone tell me, should you knit buttonholes on the right/public side of knitting, or can you knit them on the wrong side, or does it matter? Thanks.

No, it shoudln't make a difference in ribbing, looks the same from both sides. in a pattern such as aran, things might be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 arienlass

Hi,
    I have been knitting on and off for years. I usually buy my wool in the nearest wool shop but last year I decided to have a look on ebay. I wanted to knit a cotton top and the wool was expensive to buy in the shop so I bid on ebay and got it for about half the price. I was delighted until I started to knit with it and discovered that it was frayed and broken all though the whole lot of it. From now on I will stick to buying in my local wool shop and get the brand that it says on the pattern.

I buy from my local shop or woolshop.ie or I buy cones of yarn from BSK for machine knitting.

For a cotton top, I'd use Cotton on, its a 50% cotton blend, but still has the drape.

Some one gave me there yarn they ordered on alliexpress, it looked really amazing, the only issue was that it was full of knots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

arienlass wrote: »
    Hi,
    I have been knitting on and off for years. I usually buy my wool in the nearest wool shop but last year I decided to have a look on ebay. I wanted to knit a cotton top and the wool was expensive to buy in the shop so I bid on ebay and got it for about half the price. I was delighted until I started to knit with it and discovered that it was frayed and broken all though the whole lot of it. From now on I will stick to buying in my local wool shop and get the brand that it says on the pattern.

What brand did you buy? if you bought from a Chinese seller, then the quality will be an issue.

Plenty of online shops like Deramores, Scribes and Vibes, Love Knitting and Black Sheep Wools who sell quality yarn at a decent price. Black Sheep also have a very good clearance section where you can get really good bargains. Deramores also have an eBay shop.

TBH - I don't buy yarn in the shops if I can help it, as the prices here are prohibitive. Same with needles.

arienlass wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks for sharing. Good to know to avoid.

• Advertisement

I've bought wool on ebay for much cheaper than in shops and it's been perfectly fine. Probably depends on what brand you're buying. If you're buying a good brand for cheaper on ebay than your local store, then it's a good deal...
    obviously if you got random stuff for a couple of quid off someone that's not a reputable seller, then you can get all sort of crap, same as with any other product one may pick up on ebay.

Advertisement