Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

To eat in Maynooth?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Anyone livin up around meadowbrook/beaufield there's a great chinese hidden in the Newtown

Only been there once and thought they just put too much lemon grass in it for my liking, Twas a curry

I'll try it again though,(everyone has been talking about it) any recommendations for what to get there tonight? I'm feeling lazy :p

Oh and it's gotta be a vegetarian dish :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Effluo wrote: »
    Only been there once and thought they just put too much lemon grass in it for my liking, Twas a curry

I'll try it again though,(everyone has been talking about it) any recommendations for what to get there tonight? I'm feeling lazy :p

Oh and it's gotta be a vegetarian dish :(

I had lemon or orange chicken, can't mind which, it was nice but nothin spectacular.

Staff are dead friendly in there though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 tim_the_conman

I'll try it again though,(everyone has been talking about it) any recommendations for what to get there tonight? I'm feeling lazy tongue.gif

Oh and it's gotta be a vegetarian dish

Vegesaurus myself actually :p
    can't say i've ever had more than a 3-in-1 (best in maynooth) but they've got a pretty decent menu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 conorthehippy

Does anyone know of any Vegan/Vegitarian places to eat in Maynooth or nearby..?

Id love to have a nice place locally, rather than heading all the wa into town..

(Perhaps a meet up/Pot Luck could work...)

*scratches beardy*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Red_Niamh

Lemongrass was great for veggie food! I miss it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

I've never had much of a problem finding veggie food. It's not ideal but as long as you're willing to compromise you can find some good stuff for cheap. Pugin do a vegetarian option everyday, always tasty, or you could just get all the veg from the main dinner that day (mash, carrots, broccoli, parsnip etc) for like €3 and you get a huge plateful.

Roost do veggie lunch too, although it's normally quorn stuff or whatever which I don't personally like.

Twist is nice for lunch stuff too, really nice most of the time (if a little on the more expensive side).

Eh, that all-you-can-eat chinese place on the main street near the barbers is lovely! €8.80 for as much as you could eat and you can go back up for more. They've got a couple of different vegetarian options (I didn't go hungry like) but also when I asked whether the spring-rolls were suitable or not she said they weren't but went in a got the chef to make me some, which was really nice of them :)

Only place I wouldn't recommend from experience is O'Neills, vegetarian fajitas thats tasted as if they'd been microwaved to warm the cheese, bleugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Jeez, you eat out a lot, you must have quite the handsome companion to not look uncool doing that :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Yeah, your da is handy to have around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

The entertainment on this forum is priceless. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Yeah, your da is handy to have around.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

Does anyone know of any Vegan/Vegitarian places to eat in Maynooth or nearby..?

Id love to have a nice place locally, rather than heading all the wa into town..

(Perhaps a meet up/Pot Luck could work...)

*scratches beardy*
    the vegetarian enchiladas and paninis in riverside bistro are outstanding
    *this is coming from a fellow herbivore;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 mikel78JH

splash137 wrote: »
    Ate in Greene's last week for forst time & will definitely return. Staff were friendly and food was divine. Lasange came with chips and large salad side. Friends got sirlion steak, 'rustic' veg (small portion) & chips but options for other sides was very broad.
    Drinks slightly pricey for students... glass of wine €5, minerals standard €2.50 however.
    Desserts were large enough and delicious.
    Place was busy at time but roomy at our table. If dinign as a couple, the choice of single table may be a bit on the small side.
    Overall, a nice atmosphere, good price for what you get overall and as I said, will return!
    Still can't beat Roost's evening meals... Pan-fried chicken, mash & mushroom sauce never fails!

Pasta dishes are an important aspect in a restaurent such as Greene's and when they are simply Dolmio pasta shapes in a bag it tends to leave people frustrated. Wasn't hectic at all for €25. Staff were methodical and aloof. Contrast this with Mantra where staff are almost too friendly and at least there's some personality in their food even if it cooked from frozen.
    Maynooth is still better served by the age old pubs in the town. The new Oriental restaurent has promise though. Fantastic thai meal there recently means I'll head back.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Aurongroove

my top three would be Riverside, O'Neills and Twist.

the bagel factory is an "OK safty net" if you need something fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭CnaG

I really liked Kens by manor mills. But I've been to the chinese by Supermacs twice in the last few weeks and though it's not great generally, their shredded chicken with chilli and salt is tres bien <--(Me trying to sound like a con-i-sewer). If I was going there again, I'd get that as a main meal I think.

The Indian above Caufields/piano bar is very nice.

The veg never quite seem to be done in Bradys for whatever reason, though I haven't been there this year. Portion sizes good though! I used to like the LA before it closed - I haven't eaten in Mantra yet.

Where else? Hmm, Londis on the mainstreet do a nice chicken roll and I like that you can sit down there.

Twist has been fabulous anytime I've been, but there's never enough on the plate!

I eat quite often in the Speakeasy now, I like the staff there, the food is always decent (the breakfast rolls are like 3.75 or something - cheaper than lunch rolls??) I used to go to OBriens maybe once a month until I realised exactly how much we were being ripped off (Trinity students get 25% off O'Briens on Westmoreland street - if I used my bus pass I think it would be cheaper for me to go into Dublin, get one of my trinity friends to buy my lunch for me (renumerating him/her of course), and then bus back to Maynooth, than it is to buy a sandwich in John Hume...) I loved our canteen. RIP canteen. Pugin is nice, but I don't really like eating under the beady eyes of long dead bishops...

I do love cheese and curry chips (or cheese and garlic mayo) from Supermacs (very) occasionally. And their muffins with ice-cream aren't that bad really. :D

If anyone fancies venturing a little further than Maynooth, Celbridge has a pretty good selection of restaurants (which might deliver to Maynooth). The Dehli Darber (India - if you didn't guess that) is really, really good and has a very nice sit-down restaurant. The chinese take-away by the bridge is very good too, and the Macaris chip shop by that-pub-who's-name-I-can't-remember.... It's on your right as you drive into Celbridge from Maynooth, just before the Aldi. Keep an eye out for the winking chip man there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭5Aces

dont get the chips from mizzonis. i obviously going to finish them but im not happy about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

There's a cafe opposite the motor factors on the corner of the main st. Can't think of the name but it looks like a typical poser cafe on the tesco side of the village. Not being from there I can't be more specific but they do nice grub for decent prices!2 coffee, pannini thing and soup for around 10 euro! well sorted :)

My only reason for not returning is I live too far away :(

what is the strangest thing stone haven has to offer?

only hearsay so far but the glenroyal does a steak dinner and pint for E12. It is more than likely before 5 or 6 but a savage deal if its true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

5Aces wrote: »
    what is the strangest thing stone haven has to offer?

Over the years there's been ostrich/crocodile/kangaroo!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

They always serve that! My dad had the crocodile there one time and he said it was like leather.
    I love eating in O'Neills, I always enjoy the food and love the staff (know them personally!). Great atmosphere there as well.
    For a meal, I love the new Orient, was there on Christmas Eve and had a lovely meal there! Heading there tomorrow night and can't wait!
    For food in town, there's a little Filipino restaurant just opposite the side of Easons on O'Connell Street. The food is amazing, large portions, really good value and a wide selection of Veggie options! Food is fast and so tasty!
    Have yet to go to the riverside but I will be going soon as the reports here make it sound good!

• Advertisement

In town the Sushi Bento on Liffey St is my new favourite, really reasonable pricing and always fresh. Love it!

raw fish is nasty. you have been watching too much of sex in the city. get back to your roots.

Sushi is rarely raw fish in these places, the likes of prawns, smoked eel and all that. Sashimi is raw fish.

You try some chicken yakisoba noodles and get back to me, you'll never eat chow mein again!

Is there a nutritionist in the college? I'm fed up going to the chinese and getting chicken yet again. I actually thought getting a chili sauce the other night was changing things up. Someone I used to cook for a lot told me yesterday that if i wanted to cook something fancy I would mash the potatoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Duddy

Not that I've heard of, maybe go to the welfare officer? I'd say she'd have some info from MindBodySoul/Healthy Eating week:)

On another note,
    Orient above Bagel Factory haz amazins.

haven't been there yet but i will bankrupt them soon. "all you can eat", playing with fire there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

All you can eat?

Oh. My. God.

Yeah up until 3.30pm.

Went there for dinner/karaoke last night, the staff are so lovely, gave us a free bottle of wine and all!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Duddy

and served us penis cake.:D

• Advertisement

Duddy wrote: »
    and served us penis cake.:D

Good work on giving them the cake!

Advertisement