Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

social welfare inspector!!!

• 16-01-2013 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35 funkyfifi

hey was just wondering could anyone give me some advice heres the situation..

Lived with my guy friend (No not boyfriend) for a year an moved out 9 months ago, told him I was having money problems but being honest couldn't stand his prick of a boyfriend..

So moved back home an informed the dole of my change of address as I have a part time job and receive casual dockets..

3 Fridays in a row last October a social welfare inspector called to my home address, my mother informed him that i work Fridays could he call another day, then i got a letter in the door a few days ago to attend a meeting.

So this stuck up bi*ch who looked down her nose at me for the whole interview is accusing me of cohabiting with my friend an told me she has been going around asking my neighbours all about me.. she even slipped up she went to my local shop to see did they know anything about me.. Can they actually do this????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

No, Fifi, they cannot do that as blatantly as you have posted. If you are telling the truth, I would advise that you write to her manager and complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

funkyfifi wrote: »
    hey was just wondering could anyone give me some advice heres the situation..

Lived with my guy friend (No not boyfriend) for a year an moved out 9 months ago, told him I was having money problems but being honest couldn't stand his prick of a boyfriend..

So moved back home an informed the dole of my change of address as I have a part time job and receive casual dockets..

3 Fridays in a row last October a social welfare inspector called to my home address, my mother informed him that i work Fridays could he call another day, then i got a letter in the door a few days ago to attend a meeting.

So this stuck up bi*ch who looked down her nose at me for the whole interview is accusing me of cohabiting with my friend an told me she has been going around asking my neighbours all about me.. she even slipped up she went to my local shop to see did they know anything about me.. Can they actually do this????

They do not do that sort of thing, maybe this one was stalking you and looking through the window. Who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

I would plan to record any future meetings with her for your own benefit if they lie or bend the rules and you have recorded the conversation you have evidence to back up any statement you may make or if you were to lose your benefit because of this idiot and you were to appeal the decision. She will be trying to catch people out the whole time it is her job to do so. If she says something and goes back on it because she knows she is in the wrong and you have her saying whatever it is recorded she won't have a leg to stand on. Dont let the looking down the noes thing get to you if it were'nt for people on the dole she would be out of a job. It's the same as the idiots in fas useless. I hope everything works out for you.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 funkyfifi

I knew she wouldnt be allowed do this.. Went for the paper last Sunday an the woman behind the counter told me she was asking questions about me, and pretended she knew me.. asked where would she find me and am I still with my boyfriend!

My friend had an interview with the same woman the other day an she commented on his xmas lights saying "looks like a girl done them" no man could put them up that nice, in all fairness he only had a few stickers on the bloody window..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭apache

Maybe she fancies you?

• Advertisement

I doubt that very much apache!!

Thanks for the advice juice, will def record the next time I meet her I'm sure that wont be long away as she has gone an means tested the few bob I get from them the days I'm not working..

I came out of there feeling like ****!! Is is not good enough for them that I'm working part time, its the best I can get at the moment..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

I knew she wouldnt be allowed do this.. Went for the paper last Sunday an the woman behind the counter told me she was asking questions about me, and pretended she knew me.. asked where would she find me and am I still with my boyfriend!

My friend had an interview with the same woman the other day an she commented on his xmas lights saying "looks like a girl done them" no man could put them up that nice, in all fairness he only had a few stickers on the bloody window..

So you live with a guy that was gay from your Original post, and now move back home? Were you getting rent allowance? Surely just give them the landlords number and thats sorted then no?

areyawell wrote: »
    So you live with a guy that was gay from your Original post, and now move back home? Were you getting rent allowance? Surely just give them the landlords number and thats sorted then no?

Recieved rent allowance for 3 months in the apartment then got my job so it stopped.. What landlord?? Im living back home now..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

Recieved rent allowance for 3 months in the apartment then got my job so it stopped.. What landlord?? Im living back home now..

I think the poster means that if you get the landlord of the place you left 9 months ago to confirm that you stopped renting then it will be proof that you no longer live there and haven't for nine months. The landlord/landlady would also be able to confirm that you paid your rent separately etc., and thereby prove that you were not a couple. A sexual relationship is not an essential criteria of proving cohabitation although if it existed it would point towards that but there are many other factors to be considered for cohabitation.

All social assistance payments are means tested for earnings.

Social Welfare Inspectors have both duties and rights to investigate what may be fraudulent claims. The many thousands of fraudulent claims haven't been uncovered without inquiries being made and what you describe is well within the remit.

Balagan wrote: »
    I think the poster means that if you get the landlord of the place you left 9 months ago to confirm that you stopped renting then it will be proof that you no longer live there and haven't for nine months. The landlord/landlady would also be able to confirm that you paid your rent separately etc., and thereby prove that you were not a couple. A sexual relationship is not an essential criteria of proving cohabitation although if it existed it would point towards that but there are many other factors to be considered for cohabitation.

All social assistance payments are means tested for earnings.

Social Welfare Inspectors have both duties and rights to investigate what may be fraudulent claims. The many thousands of fraudulent claims haven't been uncovered without inquiries being made and what you describe is well within the remit.
    He has has moved out of there since, because he couldn't afford the rent on his own.
    The agent wouldn't give us separate leases he said only one lease per property was allowed and rent had to be paid in full so they took it out of his bank account every month.

I know they have jobs to do, but don't want my whole neighbourhood knowing my business either, surely I have that right..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Maybe thats the issue, you were paid rent allowance into you account and the rent was paid from his account?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 mcgocks

hey guys could peeps try and help me with this.........its a complicated story

me and my partner are living legally together on paper and are both unemployed / can't get full time work. so after i lost my job over 2years ago i get a letter to say a social welfare inspector is calling out. that was fine he looked for bank statements on the first visit that was fine but then next morning at the same time unexpected he called again, sneaked around the corner and hid his car probably because he seen a North Reg car sitting parked in our drive way. now we do not own a car, it was my partners parents car and my partner is insured to drive it through his mothers insurance policy in N. Ireland but he accused us of owning it so it just happened to be there - her log book stating her name and address was on it and he looked shocked. Now we get called in for interview and i handed stuff in and he said that was fine but then asked to prove proof im seeking work and said he had no doubt that i wasn't looking for work. then next evening we get letter demanding again to show 1. employment proof 2. all bank statements 3.transport details (including log book, insurance papers, proof of car and proof of ownership of the property/house where it belongs to) this has nothing to do with my claim as i am the main claiming for me and my partner as a dependent ....his parents business and personal details is no relevant to my jsa claim and we did not hand it in because his mum is furious at the fact that he threatened to try and get it ceased from our door step and in their eyes is a different country saying it is illegal to drive a north car when in reality we all know its not really a crime....so how will this leave us? what will be my result?? he was aggressive and very invasive

This seems routine to be honest.

Its up to the claimant to prove they do not have assets if they have the use of them.
    The only way to do this is to prove who does own it.

The inspector may be referring to the revenue rule where is a car is brought into the country it must be registered and VRT paid with in 3 months I think.

It can be ceased if it is in the country more than 3 months.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/moving_to_ireland/coming_to_live_in_ireland/importing_car_into_ireland.html?searchterm=importing%20vehicle

Also, You have to ask yourself why does the inspector think you specifically are not looking for work?

Does he think you are a homemaker? etc. If so you will need proof of looking for work.

well i have a young child and i told him i have been working and have proved lots of documents showing i have seeked work but the thing about the car is it does not belong to us and i am the one who is supposed to be investigated. I can not even drive. Another tricky thing is that they are looking for details of the car and of the house that belongs to his parents. We volunteered to show this at the door

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    This seems routine to be honest.

Its up to the claimant to prove they do not have assets if they have the use of them.
    The only way to do this is to prove who does own it.

The inspector may be referring to the revenue rule where is a car is brought into the country it must be registered and VRT paid with in 3 months I think.

It can be ceased if it is in the country more than 3 months.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/moving_to_ireland/coming_to_live_in_ireland/importing_car_into_ireland.html?searchterm=importing%20vehicle

Also, You have to ask yourself why does the inspector think you specifically are not looking for work?

Does he think you are a homemaker? etc. If so you will need proof of looking for work.

Just on the VRT issue, it must be completed with 30 days
    http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vrt/faqs-vrt.html#section2

Vehicle Registration Tax is chargeable on the registration of a motor vehicle in the State. All motor vehicles in the State, other than those brought in temporarily by visitors, must be registered with the Revenue Commissioners. A vehicle must be registered before it can be licensed for road tax purposes and a State resident is not, save in exceptional circumstances, allowed to drive an unregistered vehicle.

In order to register an unregistered vehicle (or one previously registered outside the State) you must make an appointment with the NCTS within 7 days of its entry into the State to have a pre-registration examination of the vehicle carried out. You must complete the registration process and pay VRT at the NCTS Centre within 30 days of the arrival of the vehicle in the State.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭ Aadhya Wide Pavement

mcgocks wrote: »
    well i have a young child and i told him i have been working and have proved lots of documents showing i have seeked work but the thing about the car is it does not belong to us and i am the one who is supposed to be investigated. I can not even drive. Another tricky thing is that they are looking for details of the car and of the house that belongs to his parents. We volunteered to show this at the door

I'd find out who his superior is and write a letter detailing what had happened. I'd be asking why you are being asked to produce documents relating to your partners parents ownership of the car and their house. I presume that they live full-time up the north and in another jurisdiction. Ask them for the operational guidelines which sets out that those documents are a required part of the accompanying documentation is is used when assessing means or the living conditions of applicants.

They may be wondering why the northern reg car is parked outside your house though.

mcgocks wrote: »
    ....................try and get it ceased from our door step and in their eyes is a different country saying it is illegal to drive a north car when in reality we all know its not really a crime....so how will this leave us? what will be my result?? he was aggressive and very invasive

I think you will find revenue will disagree with you and they may well seize the car ;)

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vrt/leaflets/temporary-exemption-foreign-registered.html
    Any imported vehicle which is owned by or registered in the name of a non-resident person is not required to be registered in Ireland subject to the following conditions:.........................................
    The vehicle may not in any circumstances be driven by a State resident.
    The vehicle may not be disposed of or hired out in the State or lent to a State resident.

If you are claiming for him as a dependant then, in the inspectors eyes he is claiming.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 sushi1

Can anyone tell me If the social tell you an inspector might call out to your house does he have to give notice or can he arrive out unannounced. Also can they look into your wardrobes, drawers etc.

They give you a day, like I'll be out Friday.

They ask all the right questions!

• Advertisement

they can also call unannounced lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6 makankan

Hey, can u guys help me? My childs father comes to see him, in my home, as his is too far away for school drop off etc. I also do not see eye to eye with his family with whom he lives. Somebody reported me to the SWO for him 'living' with me. He does not. He has a girlfriend for over 1 year now, and I have moved on from that situation. I am also alone, My mother is disabled and my father in another country and I have no extended family. I rely on him to babysit while I attend the gym, go for walks or even a rare night out. On those occasions, I let him stay here and I either stay out, or let him have the sofa. The SWO brought me for a meeting and allowed me to leave after telling me he would be keeping an eye on me. Since then I am so scared. I am having panic and anxiety attacks all the time as im afraid if they call at different times different days and see he car I will loose my payments. What are my rights regarding this situation? I have proof about my family situation, his GF and most other stuff but i cannot stop panicking and what if someone reports me again? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Peanutbrowne

makankan wrote: »
    Hey, can u guys help me? My childs father comes to see him, in my home, as his is too far away for school drop off etc. I also do not see eye to eye with his family with whom he lives. Somebody reported me to the SWO for him 'living' with me. He does not. He has a girlfriend for over 1 year now, and I have moved on from that situation. I am also alone, My mother is disabled and my father in another country and I have no extended family. I rely on him to babysit while I attend the gym, go for walks or even a rare night out. On those occasions, I let him stay here and I either stay out, or let him have the sofa. The SWO brought me for a meeting and allowed me to leave after telling me he would be keeping an eye on me. Since then I am so scared. I am having panic and anxiety attacks all the time as im afraid if they call at different times different days and see he car I will loose my payments. What are my rights regarding this situation? I have proof about my family situation, his GF and most other stuff but i cannot stop panicking and what if someone reports me again? :(

I'm pretty sure your allowed have the father of your child stay for 2 nights or less a week something like that,if they think your cheating the state they'll catch you . But as you arnt, you have nothing to worry about. They can check wardrobes drawers etc if they think you are lying to them. Don't worry about it if your not actually living with him. :-)

It sounds like you have support from the childs father

From citizens advice
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/social_welfare_payments_to_families_and_children/one_parent_family_payment.html

One-Parent Family Payment (OFP) is a payment for men and women under 66 who are bringing children up without the support of a partner

Thanks peanutbrown. Just my total biggest fear is them coming say 6 tonight, his cars there and 8 fri and his cars there and they are the only nights he came, not even sleeping over!!! There is nothing in the house thats his, and I have nothing male here. I'm just so freaked out of the pictues they have taken of my home, cars in the drive etc, they questioned my nationality (im irish) and that of my all irish family, told me they are keeping an eye on me and kept asking why someone would report me. I just feel like being picked on. :( I have never felt more in the wrong when I was right before.

Bombastic, others have family, I don't. I am a lone parent as I am not in a relationship nor have financial support of anyone bar the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Thanks peanutbrown. Just my total biggest fear is them coming say 6 tonight, his cars there and 8 fri and his cars there and they are the only nights he came, not even sleeping over!!! There is nothing in the house thats his, and I have nothing male here. I'm just so freaked out of the pictues they have taken of my home, cars in the drive etc, they questioned my nationality (im irish) and that of my all irish family, told me they are keeping an eye on me and kept asking why someone would report me. I just feel like being picked on. :( I have never felt more in the wrong when I was right before.

Since the recession, anonymous reports to the Department have rocketed and this can be for various reasons from people genuinely believing that a person is scamming the system to downright nosiness and begrudgery. The majority of Inspectors in the Department are able to tell a genuine story from a scam story (through experience) so just tell them your situation as it is and you'll be fine. From just a written paragraph you sound genuine so an inspector should get the full picture from an interview.

There are scare monger stories on these threads about Inspectors rummaging around houses trying to catch people out. The have the right to imspect rooms but be aware that they have to abide by a Code of Conduct at all times so if you feel an inspector is rude, discourteous or overstepping their mark, every SW office has a Regional Manager who is the boss of the Inspectors, a quick phone call to the Office to see who is in charge will yield their name.

Bombastic, others have family, I don't. I am a lone parent as I am not in a relationship nor have financial support of anyone bar the state.

By your own admission the childs father is actively in your childs life. Not sure how having /not having other family members has to do with it. Why is the state and not the child's other parent providing financial suppprt?

Thank you Plazaman, most helpful and greatful for your comment. I guess all I can do is just hope that the truth is enough.

• Advertisement

Boombastic your first comment I quote:
    "Who are bringing up the child without the support of a partner"
    I do not have a partner, I am alone except for my son. I commented looking for help, not to be nit picked at. Yes my sons father is in his life, and activity at that, but we are not a couple. He has a partner/girlfriend/other half, am I expected to move into a house with her, him, and my son? Is he expected to buy my clothes and pay my bills?? As well as hers and my sons? As a result of a one night stand? Are you for real? Your comments annoy me, it's not public business why I dont receive money off him! The inspecter didnt even ask me that!

It's people like you who land people like me in sh*ts creek over something they read online. I rang the citizens advice and they specified an active parner ie a relationship either with the childs father or another boyfriend. I have neither. They also informed me thay should I be living at (parents)home, claiming lone parent I can be in a relationship as long as we are not out on our own. As many sleepovers as wanted!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement