Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Megalodon

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Galvasean wrote: »
    Apparently they exaggerated Brygmophyseter's size too, from 7 to twelve meters in length. When all else fails... make something up!

The T-Rex of the sea. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Kess73 wrote: »
    The T-Rex of the sea. :D

There have been like 40 'T-Rex of the Sea's :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

There have been like 40 'T-Rex of the Sea's :rolleyes:

Maybe so, but to me there were only two who deserved to be put on that particular pedestal.

Liopleuridon and Mososaur Maximus. But you know me and my marine friends LOL

*Throws another dead cow into his fishtank and watches the water boil about* :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

What about Predator X? I think it fits the bill too...:D

So, really, no one is going to tell me how to attach pictures from my drive?:(

I'm not sure how you do that. Could you not maybe host the pics on Photobucket and post 'em here that way?

• Advertisement

Adam Khor wrote: »

Honestly, I still don't really know what to make of Predator X. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

How to post images (and some other file types) to Boards.ie:

PART 1
    1. Click the 'Reply' button (or the 'New Thread' or 'Quote' button, if applicable)
    2. Scroll down to 'Additional Options'
    3. Click the 'Manage Attachments' button
    4. A new window will pop up, entitled 'Manage Attachments'. (There are limits to the types and size of files that can be attached to posts, listed in the lower part of this window)
    5. In the Upload File from your Computer section at the top, click the 'Browse' button
    6. Another window will pop up, this one entitled 'File Upload'
    7. Browse your computer to your chosen image (1 at a time), click on it, and click the 'Open' button
    8. The 'File Upload' window will vanish and you'll be back to the 'Manage Attachments' window
    9. In the Upload File from your Computer section, click the 'Upload' button
    10. The message "Uploading File(s) - Please Wait" will be displayed for a few moments
    11. In the 'Manage Attachments' window, a new 'Current Attachments' section will have appeared, containing your image file
    12. There's a 'Remove' button beside it, if you change your mind
    13. Repeat steps 5-11 to add more files
    14. Close the 'Manage Attachments' window
    15. You're now back at the 'Additional Options' section of the Reply/New Thread/Quote page.
    16. Your file(s) are now listed under 'Attach Files', above the 'Manage Attachments' button
    If you hit the 'Submit Reply/Submit New Thread' button now, your files will appear as clickable links in an 'Attached Images' box at the bottom of your post (see the bottom my post #22 above).

PART 2
    If you want to display them inline as I've done in the above post (#22), carry on with this:
    1. Right-click on a file as mentioned in step 16 of PART 1 above, and click 'Copy Link Location' (wording may vary a bit, depending on what Internet browser you're using)
    2. Click the 'Insert Image' icon in the row of small icons above the text box in which you're composing your post. It's the square yellow one with 2 little triangular mountains and a square sun/moon in it, 6th to the left of the YouTube icon
    3. In the little pop up that asks you to "Please enter the URL of your image:", Paste the text from step 1 above
    4. Click the 'OK' button
    5. Repeat 1-4 for additional files
    6. Click the 'Submit Reply/Submit New Thread' button
    That's it, your image(s) should now be displayed in the post.

Try not to break everyone's browser by posting HUGE images; keep the longest side of an image to around 800 pixels and file size under 100KB or so. They'll still display fine in a browser and if anyone wants higher resolution versions, they can be just left as attachments (PART 1) and not posted inline (PART 2).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

197350.JPG

It works! :D Thanks a lot Rovi!

These are my fossil shark teeth- the two in the left are from very young Megalodons, whereas the others are (correct me if I'm wrong) from Otodus and Squalicorax.

I also have an Enchodus tooth that was sold to me under the name of "lizard tooth" ("the kind of lizard they call...dinosaurs" said the rather teatrical fossil vendor :rolleyes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Grey legion

Rubecula wrote: »
    Adam Khor wrote: »

Honestly, I still don't really know what to make of Predator X. :(

Hello guys,

I see that members are well educated there about Megalodon.

However, I recently saw a talk about it (Dr Mike Siversson), where at one point it was clear that Megalodon was superior to the raptorial sperm whale Livyatan melvillei.

The talk is here :

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F%3Fgl%3DFR%26hl%3Dfr&hl=fr&gl=FR#/watch?v=e4p9EWuVxYQ

And here's precisions about Meg/Livyatan by Dr Siversson privately :

The physeteroid’s challenge of C. megalodon was not particularly long-lived as they soon evolved towards the deep diving habit of the modern sperm whales. At an adult length approaching 20 m C. megalodon could probably hunt anything it wanted. Like most modern macro-predatory sharks feeding on animals unable to crawl up on dry land during the darker hours it was most likely stalking its prey at night and this might have given it the upper hand against Livyatan. Dolphins, exceptionally fast moving animals, are commonly found as stomach content in large white sharks and they are most likely taken at night.

we know it was superior as the ultimate super predator as the occurrence of Livayatan was short lived and because the physeteroids evolved into predators of deep water squid (with a reduction of the upper jaw dentition). In other words they gave up on the challenge as ultimate super predators. This is in contrast to tylosaurid mosasaur’s challenge of C. mantelli which constituted a complete replacement of one type of super-predator with another.

Hope it helps.

Ted

Hello guys,

I see that members are well educated there about Megalodon.

However, I recently saw a talk about it (Dr Mike Siversson), where at one point it was clear that Megalodon was superior to the raptorial sperm whale Livyatan melvillei.

The talk is here :

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F%3Fgl%3DFR%26hl%3Dfr&hl=fr&gl=FR#/watch?v=e4p9EWuVxYQ

And here's precisions about Meg/Livyatan by Dr Siversson privately :

The physeteroid’s challenge of C. megalodon was not particularly long-lived as they soon evolved towards the deep diving habit of the modern sperm whales. At an adult length approaching 20 m C. megalodon could probably hunt anything it wanted. Like most modern macro-predatory sharks feeding on animals unable to crawl up on dry land during the darker hours it was most likely stalking its prey at night and this might have given it the upper hand against Livyatan. Dolphins, exceptionally fast moving animals, are commonly found as stomach content in large white sharks and they are most likely taken at night.

we know it was superior as the ultimate super predator as the occurrence of Livayatan was short lived and because the physeteroids evolved into predators of deep water squid (with a reduction of the upper jaw dentition). In other words they gave up on the challenge as ultimate super predators. This is in contrast to tylosaurid mosasaur’s challenge of C. mantelli which constituted a complete replacement of one type of super-predator with another.

Hope it helps.

Ted

Link doesn´t work for me :/

So we could basically say that Leviathan was an "experiment" on the physeteroid's part, but Megalodon was already there and too well adapted to the top predator niche and the whale was unable to outcompete it...

It would be interesting, though, to know what were the last species of physeteroids to go extinct before modern times, and what their lifestyles were...

• Advertisement

Thanks Ted. That's quite interesting. Although the link doesn't work for me either.

Damn...

Okay just write Lamniform sharks in YouTube, the title video is Lamniform sharks : 110 millions years of ocean supremacy.

Siversson clearly consider C.megalodon as the mother of all predators, though his body mass estimate is quite low, but still has credential.

Everything less than 50 metric tons is likely an underestimate actually.

He also shows that Lamniforms were though challengers for large pliosaurs during early Cretaceous. A new family, Cardabiodontids, were bigger and bulkier than GWS and rivaled, supplanted Kronosaurus in Australian waters.

I would have other informations for later and preferentially in private.

Those being widely interested in Meg and wanting share this, check my PM.

Okay just write Lamniform sharks in YouTube, the title video is Lamniform sharks : 110 millions years of ocean supremacy.

Here we are:

Watched the full video earlier today and very strongly recommend it to anyone who has 40 odd minutes to spare. I learned a great deal. For example, I had no idea sea faring Cretoxyrhina were much bigger than their inland sea counterparts (9 meters compared to 6 respectively). I also heard, for the first time, of huge early Cretaceous sharks that I had not known existed.
    Dr. Mike Siversson also more or less debunks the idea that killer whales had a significant hand in the extinction of megalodon since the killers of the time were roughly half the size of those today with significantly smaller teeth. It was only after megalodon went extinct that they became the apex predators we know today.
    Interestingly enough Siversson seems very much on the Carcharocles side of the Meg schizm.
    Plenty of other interesting videos on the Smithsonian Youtube channel too :)

Another similar talk of the same author, earlier (2010), with some complementary information :

http://museum.wa.gov.au/explore/videos/rise-super-predatory-sharks

As for Carcharocles, officially it is widely called as such, though in Europe, it seems to have been renamed Megaselachus megalodon, as well for the other Carcharocles genus.

I am pretty sure since a while that orcas may not have preyed on Megs, at first indeed because the contemporary species, O.citonniensis, was much smaller but also that because Orcas only prey rarely on large whales, mainly juvenile and the battle takes hours. During the famous attack facing 29 Orcas against a 18 m Blue Whale, it took 5 hours of struggle for severly injure the whale.
    As said above, no Orcas attack Bull Sperm Whale in Nature. So, I m highly skeptical that even modern Orcas would have tried to engage a full grown Carcharocles megalodon which is know for attack baleen and sperm whales during its time.

Fair enough, the Orcas and the smaller predatory sharks were more adapted to the new global situation in oceans.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Zadkiel

Several large teeth :

megelite.png

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Zadkiel

Thanks for the reply
    Oh yeh I know the size would be genuine enough I'm just curious as to whether you'd get authentic intact teeth on ebay ? :)

Zadkiel wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply
    Oh yeh I know the size would be genuine enough I'm just curious as to whether you'd get authentic intact teeth on ebay ? :)

Don´t see why not... I've seen fossils much rarer and scientifically valuable being sold on the web...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

They're pretty common Z, so yea you would see them on ebay. I've seen a genuine mammoth skull and tusks on the bay. eBay can be quite a good place to get fossils. You have to be careful of course. EG 90% of the so called cave bear fossils are of more modern bear types.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

Another similar talk of the same author, earlier (2010), with some complementary information :

As for Carcharocles, officially it is widely called as such, though in Europe, it seems to have been renamed Megaselachus megalodon, as well for the other Carcharocles genus.

Megaselachus megalodon... I'm not sure about this name although it is a little bit more epic than "Carcharocles"... but nothing like the sound of the old Carcharodon megalodon :D

Was Megaselachus not abandoned as a genus in the late 60s?

Was Megaselachus not abandoned as a genus in the late 60s?

Not sure exactly when Megaselachus went out of vogue but it was what is now called Carcharocles megalodon

Hope that helps.

Advertisement