Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

price of a bale of silage

• 07-01-2009 9:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭

was just wondering what bales of silage are making at the moment , i would have thought around 20 euro myself ?????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭cormywormy

depending, on quaility and what cut it was first or second. They are making 15- 35 euro a bale

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

irish_bob wrote: »
    was just wondering what bales of silage are making at the moment , i would have thought around 20 euro myself ?????

Cost almost €20 to make them if you take into account the cost of fertilizer, diesel, silage wrap and net wrap in 2008.

They're making €25 to €30 around there - depending on if they're chopped or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

cormywormy wrote: »
    depending, on quaility and what cut it was first or second. They are making 15- 35 euro a bale

thats a pretty wide variation , while some may ask for 35 per bale , does anyone actually get it , i doubt it

i had 20 euro cash in mind

you could get bales for 12 euro last spring

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭adne

12 euro ... they must have been bales of dung... the guy would not even cover costs at that price :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

adne wrote: »
    12 euro ... they must have been bales of dung... the guy would not even cover costs at that price :p

whether its cost price is completley irelevant , the market dictates , thier was a massive surplus of silage on farms last spring , its not like land where you can just hold on to it for as long as you like , anyway i was talking to teagasc this morning , they reckon 20 euro cash is about right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭adne

U could hold the bales for another year.....

thats a pretty wide variation , while some may ask for 35 per bale , does anyone actually get it , i doubt it

i had 20 euro cash in mind

you could get bales for 12 euro last spring[/quote

Well it was in the paper that a farmer in mayo got 35 a bale and sold 200 that morning

Quote Cost almost €20 to make them if you take into account the cost of fertilizer, diesel, silage wrap and net wrap in 2008.

It cost the farmer i drew bales for , 13 euro a bale last year, and they were wrapped.

cormywormy wrote: »
    Quote Cost almost €20 to make them if you take into account the cost of fertilizer, diesel, silage wrap and net wrap in 2008.

It cost the farmer i drew bales for , 13 euro a bale last year, and they were wrapped.

It cost €6 to make a double chop bale and €3 to wrap it around here last year. The wrap cost another € per bale. It costs about €1.50 per bale to cut with a conditioner. It probably costs another €1 to stack the bales. Fertilizer probably came in at another €2 or €3 per bale. Anyone who sells bales at less than €20 this year is making a loss. There is a huge shortage of fodder in the west and north west this winter. This is why farmers in mayo can command €35 per bale. Other parts of the country never saw a fodder shortage in 50 years because of dry land and short winters. In the west, we have cattle in for 6 months of the year. This year, some farmers had cattle in for 9 months. Its no wonder there's a fodder shortage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,521 ✭✭✭20silkcut

What is a bale of medium quality silage making right now?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Grecco

I saw several adverts in the local paper last week for bales at €15.
    There was way too much silage made with the last 3 years, lads are finding it hard to sell. It doesnt matter that it cost them more to make it thats just the way it is. If the weather keeps improving and we get an early spring then I think €10 is enough to pay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

I calculate the bales this summer will cost €21 minimum.
    That said buying concentrates is far better value than buying in bales of unknown / marginal quality. Better buy X amount of nuts, and cut back on silage, assuming the cows have calved of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

irish_bob wrote: »
    whether its cost price is completley irelevant , the market dictates , thier was a massive surplus of silage on farms last spring , its not like land where you can just hold on to it for as long as you like , anyway i was talking to teagasc this morning , they reckon 20 euro cash is about right

+1

I know of 300 bales that need to be sold not even attracting a bid of €10 ,
    farm is being let out and the bales have to go

they are off quality land & AFAIK they were all made without rain

I bought bales for Eur12 over the last few weeks. Good quality silage and well made bales. I'll keep my own bales for a second winter. Can't make bales for Eur 12 when you consider the cost of fertilizer, diesel, wrap and time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

It depends if there is surplas silage in you area or not it nogood if a man is in mayo and the cheap silage is in Wexford. Generally Bales of silage are making 15-18 euros in area where there is surplas however in the west of Irealnd where yhere is no surplas?????

Cost of a bale of Silage 7 euro to bale and wrap + 2.66 for wrap + 2 euro a bale to cut at 12 bales a acre and 7 euro for fertlizer if you have no slurry and 4 euro a bale if you have if you use and additive add another 1-1.5. Total20 euro give or take a couple euro. I have extra silage and I would not sell it as you do not recoup the cost when selling it.

If you need to move it get it rewrapped will cost about 5 euro a bale

If I am short of silage I buy ration and limit silage however you need to make sure all have access at same time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

At the start of this winter I had planned to buy sailage bales. Looks like I don't even need any now. The country is full of them.
    Not that long ago when they were making €50.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

I sold bales the other day for €10 for 2010 and €15 for 2011 bales made with a Mchale F550 bailer

I didnt mind keeping them but they were in my way of putting in cement for a new shed and i dont have a way of moving them so i thought cut my losses and let them go now while still a market, otherwise i would have kept the 2011 bales

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Our 2011 bales cost us 13.50 to make and I sold them for €18 and the lad loads them himself.
    Were going to keep them but as with larkhill they were stored in a field I wanted cleared.

Advertisement