Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low maintenance snakes

• 27-12-2010 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

Well after my rat died I've been feeling kinda of lonely (even though my house is more full than usual these past few days). I would get rats again because they're brilliant pets but since college has started I've noticed I don't have the same time anymore and considering I'm only in first year that can only get worse.

So was looking at lists of 'low maintenance pets' and snakes were mentioned quite a bit. I'm leaning towards the idea of a corn snake but that's mainly 'cause they're the only snake I know much about since I looked into getting one before. From what I've read they need to be cleaned out a lot less than rats, only need to be fed once a week and although the need handling it's not nearly as much as rats.

So jut wondering if I'm right in thinking that a corn snake would suit me, a caring person with a demanding-ish schedule or if I'm completely wrong. Also other suggestions would be welcome. I probably won't be getting any pet that soon as these things need planning and preparation but just though I'd ask. Thanks for any help in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭CornsnakeKeeper

I keep snakes and they make great pets
    I have a corn (had another, but sold her)
    I have 2 ball pythons and getting a burmese python and a boa shortly.
    Snakes are very low maintenance, depending on what you see as low maintenance.
    They need VERY specific care requirements which puts people off.
    for example, they need proper temperature gradients, humidity levels and such.
    But thats all easy stuff once you read up properly ! :) trust me.

If you get a corn snake and your not into them biting or being a bit aggro, which is fine there non venomous then get an adult or a grown on snake as hatchlings tend to be pretty flighty and aggro, if you don't mind some bites(and i'm not saying you'll be bit, i had a hatchling and she was the finest but they can be bitey) then get a baby cos you can watch him grow and they always tame down after a while with handling
    Onto handling, you don't have to handle everyday, in fact, they like to be left alone and do there thing. Water must be changed once every two days if not more often cos mine has a habit of pooing in his bowl:eek:
    Feeding is fine, frozen thawed food is easily gotten and theres plenty of pet shops that sell it now.
    If you want more help or more info then go check out www.herpireland.com you'll get loads more replies and help
    If your not big on how corn snakes look but want something similar in size and care then theres always:
    Kingsnakes
    Milksnakes
    Certain Boas(as some can get massive, others stay around 6feet as adults, which is a manageable size)
    Royal(or Ball) Pythons (be sure to buy a CB animal from a breeder, i have bought my 2 from www.emeraldislereptiles.co.uk and they are both excellent feeders, if you don't know what CB(Captive Bred) CF(Captive Farmed) or WC(Wild Caught) is then read up on it. As some pet shops do sell WC animals that don't feed and eventually die. like i said, not all pet shops do this, but some DO. so be careful!
    Another cool snake that'd be good starting out is a Mexican Black King snake. There excellent snakes and extremely beautiful, being completely black:D
    Scuse the essay:pac:
    Do go sign up to www.herpireland.com it's an excellent source of information and friendly advice when and if you need it :)
    Joe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Demonique

Corn snakes are low maintenance, I feed mine every two weeks (they get a weaner large rat, they were fed every week but they got a bit pudgy and someone told me that every two weeks was fine), they tend to poo about every 1-2 weeks.

Babies need to be fed more often, my first corn ate a pinky every three days, after about six weeks, I started feeding her two pinkys every three days, once she was taking three pinkys per feed, I moved her on to fluffys every 5 days, I found she pooed two days after being fed, it's the same for my adult corns.
    You shouldn't handle snakes for 24 hours after you feed them or you risk regurgitation (i.e. a puked up mouse, not so bad when it's a pinky, but when a snake regurgitated a small mouse last year I freaked when I passed the tank as I thought the snake had died due to the smell of death.

You'll need a heat mat, a thermostat for the heat mat, a water bowl and somewhere for your snake to hide (bark pieces make great hidey-holes)

Your aquarium will require a secure lid as snakes are more than capable of pushing up a lid to escape

You should pop into Reptile Haven in Fishamble Street to check out the corns they have there, they have some lovely babies and some fine yearlings and adults as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 BuddyBassett

Ive had quite a few snakes and found them all pretty low maintainance once you have the basics right! I wouldnt however reccommend Ball Pythons, they are notorious for not feeding and you could very well end up with tragedy on your hands. Corn Snakes are the easiest to manage, I even managed to breed them before when I worked in a pet shop!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Raco316

i purchased my first corn snake yesterday from reptile haven! the lads in the shop are really sound and very helpful.i recommend going there very highly.i was told it will take awhile for the snake to get used to his new tank as its bigger than the one they were stored in but he has settled in really well. Ben is really helpful in the shop so no better man to ask than him i think. hopefully this will be the first of many for me. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 BuddyBassett

Raco316 wrote: »
    i purchased my first corn snake yesterday from reptile haven! the lads in the shop are really sound and very helpful.i recommend going there very highly.i was told it will take awhile for the snake to get used to his new tank as its bigger than the one they were stored in but he has settled in really well. Ben is really helpful in the shop so no better man to ask than him i think. hopefully this will be the first of many for me. :)

Thats half the battle and also saves a lot of hassle, ALWAYS buy from people who know what there talking about!!! :) Congrats on the new snake, hope you get as much enjoyment from it as I got from mine!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭5huggy

My experience with keeping snakes as pets has been a positive one. I started out with a royal python before getting two young corn snakes and a milksnake. The royal python was a good pet and I rarely had difficulties with feeding him. The corn snakes are my favourite and have different personalities. If you have all the essential equipment for a snake then all you need is to know how to care for them.

Dont get a snake in the spur of the moment. They are a long term pet that can live 10-20-30 years with proper care. They dont demand constant attention which would suit a lot of people I feed mine each week for the younger ones and every forthnight for adults. Handling was important to me so the species i have are all easy to take out of the cage and handle . My two corns also managed to breed a clutch of eggs since i kept them together since i first bought them. So its one big happy family.

@Killer Banana i haven't seen you on either forum, did you get one? :)
    @5huggy I completely agree, i have 3 ball pythons atm and two are great when it comes to feeding time but one hasn't ate since October so I've been trying a lot of different methods to get her eating, so far no good
    @Raco, yeah the lads in rep haven know there stuff, i'm yet to go there though.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

@CornSnakeKeeper No not yet. Originally held off for a while 'cause I was moving rooms and thought it would be better to get him after since no point unneccesarily stressing him out. Now with the new ememster of ocllege and new books e.t.c needed I'm waiting till March when I'll have birthday money so can get all he needs without stretching my funds to breaking point.

Thanks everyone for oyur advice!

Great to hear :)
    Keep me posted anyways !!
    Joe

Advertisement