Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is Traveller disadvantage not a mainstream concern?

• 27-03-2012 5:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

A very interesting equality analysis based on Census 2006 has emerged recently, entitled Multiple Disadvantage in Ireland.

The pdf. can be viewed on the ESRI website
    http://www.esri.ie/UserFiles/publications/MultipleDisadvantageinIreland2011.pdf

The aim of the report was to examine the risk of disadvantage associated with gender, marital status, family status, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability, race and membership of the Traveller community. However, it might be better to restrict ourselves to the issue of the traveller community, as the findings made in relation to that community were particularly stark.

Here are some basic figures that emerged or were cited from other reports.
    • Travellers have a lower life expectancy, with the result that only 9 per cent of the Traveller population is over age 50, compared with 28 per cent of white Irish adults.
    • Over half of the Traveller population is under age 20 (53 per cent), compared with 28 per cent of the other white Irish population.
    • Over eight out of ten Irish Travellers in the 25–44 age group and almost the same number in the 45–64 age group have not completed second- level education.
    • 61 per cent of Travellers aged 25 to 44 years and 49 per cent of those aged 45 to 64 years are in the labour market, when we control for their level of education and other factors Travellers are less likely than other white Irish adults to be in the labour market.
    • Figures from Census 2006 show that less than 1 per cent of Travellers aged 15 years or over have a third-level qualification
    • only a further 4 per cent have completed upper secondary level and 16 per cent have lower secondary qualifications (Nolan and Maître, 2008).

Graphical depiction of the age distribution:

2j2dsuv.png

Does anybody else find these statistics frighteningly damning of Irish society and our ability to address travellers' disadvantage?

It seems to me that we are allowing an educational and a social famine to persist amongst a minority group which a large body of the Irish people feel detached from. I would be curious to explore what people think of these statistics, and why we think this is not more of a mainstream political issue?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

has anyone ever gone out and done a big study involving actually asking travellers why they think they are at the disadvantage and how they think they could be assisted in reducing the disadvantage?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

The survey says 61% of travellers of a certain age group are in the labour market.

I have met many hundreds of travellers in the West of Ireland. A very high percentage collect dole, or claim that they are unable to work due to disability. No way ar 61% in the labour market.

If many settled people have a poor opinion of travellers, that is the fault of the travellers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

nuac wrote: »
    The survey says 61% of travellers of a certain age group are in the labour market.

I have met many hundreds of travellers in the West of Ireland. A very high percentage collect dole, or claim that they are unable to work due to disability. No way ar 61% in the labour market.
    The labour market is a pool of those who are of working age and are employed, or else unemployed and seeking employment. One can be unemployed and still be in the labour market. That's not a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

later12 wrote: »
    Does anybody else find these statistics frighteningly damning of Irish society and our ability to address travellers' disadvantage?

I find these statistics frighteningly damning of Traveler society and their ability to address these disadvantages.

Travelers are a very insular protective and defensive group, who see any sort of change as a threat to their traditional way of life. The problem with that is that a lot of their traditional way of life is terrible, leading to statistics like those you put forward.

The rest of society can do what they can, and have been doing what they can. But significant change can only come from within the Traveler community themselves, and I see little chance of that happening in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Pedro K

Their shorter life expectancy can be attributed to a few things.

The fact that they live in squalor, at their own fault might I add.
    Congenital birth defects due to inbreeding.

Many of these disadvantages that they find themselves at are caused by their own actions or behaviour.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

It's not a mainstream concern because travellers are not part of mainstream society, and therefore most people don't care. Some shocking stats there, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

A very interesting equality analysis based on Census 2006 has emerged recently, entitled Multiple Disadvantage in Ireland.

The pdf. can be viewed on the ESRI website
    http://www.esri.ie/UserFiles/publications/MultipleDisadvantageinIreland2011.pdf

The aim of the report was to examine the risk of disadvantage associated with gender, marital status, family status, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability, race and membership of the Traveller community. However, it might be better to restrict ourselves to the issue of the traveller community, as the findings made in relation to that community were particularly stark.

Here are some basic figures that emerged or were cited from other reports.
    • Travellers have a lower life expectancy, with the result that only 9 per cent of the Traveller population is over age 50, compared with 28 per cent of white Irish adults.
    • Over half of the Traveller population is under age 20 (53 per cent), compared with 28 per cent of the other white Irish population.
    • Over eight out of ten Irish Travellers in the 25–44 age group and almost the same number in the 45–64 age group have not completed second- level education.
    • 61 per cent of Travellers aged 25 to 44 years and 49 per cent of those aged 45 to 64 years are in the labour market, when we control for their level of education and other factors Travellers are less likely than other white Irish adults to be in the labour market.
    • Figures from Census 2006 show that less than 1 per cent of Travellers aged 15 years or over have a third-level qualification
    • only a further 4 per cent have completed upper secondary level and 16 per cent have lower secondary qualifications (Nolan and Maître, 2008).

It seems to me that we are allowing an educational and a social famine to persist amongst a minority group which a large body of the Irish people feel detached from. I would be curious to explore what people think of these statistics, and why we think this is not more of a mainstream political issue?
    Well to address some of the points:
    - I imagine living conditions may play a part here. Ireland's damp, cold climate does not really lend itself well to living in a mobile home, possibly without any central heating, poor insulation, lack of running water supply or waste water facilities etc.

- Again, I imagine the previous point plays a part here. It is also a possibility travellers marry and have families at a younger age which skews the figures further.

- In fairness, it's not easy to settle into full time education if you move around frequently. Even if you do last a full school year in one go I'd imagine it's still difficult completing a potential five years in five different schools, different cirriculum choices, different paces, different topics covered etc.

- Again, workwise, many employers require you to have a fixed abode and also a bank account and the banks in turn require you to have a permanent address.

I'd be interested to hear what you think Irish society should do to aid in making travellers more included?
    How accommodating should society be before we draw a line and say we can only do so much, the rest is up to you as to how included you want to be in society?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

Personally, I find them frighteningly damning of travellers' inability to recognise the harm their culture and way of life causes to them and their families.

IMO, it's not a "mainstream" concern because the disadvantages travellers experience are justifiably considered mostly self-inflicted.

Look, for example at the recent riot at a children's confirmation ceremony in Ballinrobe, in which the entire community, settled and travellers, were caught up, with traveller men running around the church brandishing slash hooks and hurleys. No doubt some sociologist will tell us this is a valid expression of traveller culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,715 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Travellers don't like to go to school or work, and love having babies.

Wheres the shock?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Before we get all weak at the knees and gooey-eyed over these statistics, has any stats compiler taken the time to listen to or watch what travellers claim as their "heritage" their "custom" and their "culture"?

Issues relating to their shortened lives, poor health records and educational achievements, and apparent lack of attainment in the open labour market include, by their own open admissions on the record, the following:
    1. Inter-marrying and the frequent occurance of genetic disorders like Hurler's syndrome and the abandoning of terminally ill infants and children in hospitals. I have witnessed this myself at first hand, visiting abandoned traveller infants in hospital.
    2. The refusal of travellers to marry outside their own families, reducing the diversity of the genetic pool the community has to draw from
    3. Their voluntary nomadic lifestyle that predicates against their availability for "regular" work or jobs, apparently "forcing" them to draw the dole
    4. Their nomadic nature and life-style means that schooling for their children is patchy at best. As I have suggested on numerous other occassions, the issue is not to try and insist that the settled community change to accommodate their life-style choices, they could train and employ teachers from their own community who could travel with them and improve educational achievemrnts
    5. By and large, traveller men stick with their own trades and professions which include horse-breeding, training and selling, gambling on horses and fist-fights, dealing in scrap metal, tarmac laying, roofing, working as tree-surgeons, etc. Traveller boys leave school early, at ten or twelve years of age often without learning to read or write. This is a choice that parents have made for their children, generation after generation
    6. Traveller girls, by custom and practice, tradition and culture marry young (16-ish) and their role within the family unit is as home-maker exclusively. This, as well other matters listed above, is not an imposition of the settled community on travellers, quite the opposite, we are footing the bills to keep them in a manner to which they have become accustomed, and little thanks or acknowledgement we get for it.
    7. With very large families imposed on women, and risky behaviour indulged in by the men (high alcohol consumption, fist-fighting for money, horse-racing on public roads, etc, etc, shortened lives are the rule rather than the exception, but again these issues are choices dictated by custom and culture and not imposed from outside.
    I'm in broad agreement with previous posters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

Why are the statistics damning to Irish society and "our" ability to address disadvantages? Why is it us and them? Why is this question not put to all people or even specifically to travellers?

It is not a mainstream political issue because every Government in last few decades have bent over backwards providing money, housing, social welfare, condoning law breaking and so many other benefits to travellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

County councils bend over backwards to help travellers. They do their best to house them. It was on the radio yesterday that it costs way more to house travellers because they want bays built beside the house so they can park their caravans. Also they wont move unless the extended family are given houses beside them. For heavens sake cant they visit their relations like the rest of us. Im in a hose because i scrimped and saved since i was 20 to try and afford it. Noone gave me anything so i think its a bit much to say that they are so hard done by TBH.

Kensington wrote: »
    - I imagine living conditions may play a part here. Ireland's damp, cold climate does not really lend itself well to living in a mobile home, possibly without any central heating, poor insulation, lack of running water supply or waste water facilities etc.
    In fairness, it's not easy to settle into full time education if you move around frequently.
    Again, workwise, many employers require you to have a fixed abode and also a bank account and the banks in turn require you to have a permanent address.
    Just to respond to this point: as this data is extracted from census returns, the traveller pool is assumed from the question "What is your ethnic or cultural background?". Obviously, not all travellers are nomads. In fact, the report specifically says:
    We might expect, given their nomadic tradition, that Travellers would be more likely to have access to a car, but this is not the case. Looking at the overall figures, 25 per cent of Irish Travellers in the younger age group and 22 per cent in the older age group do not have access to a car, compared with figures of 8 and 10 per cent respectively for other white Irish adults.
    I'd be interested to hear what you think Irish society should do to aid in making travellers more included?
    I don't think it's just a matter of inclusion, and quite frankly I don't know enough about sociology and ethnic cohesion to answer how best the question might be solved.

Nevertheless, I would suggest one answer might be found in how Irish people make decisions. Most of our decisions are made for us according to the classes we belong to. This intra-class social cohesion suggests that you have to really want not to send your kids to school if you are middle class and settled. You probably have to really suck at being a middle class parent to rear children that will display the same characteristics as observed in travellers.
    On the other hand, travellers have to really want to go against the grain and send their kids to school, they have to expend a lot more energy making decisions which, for the rest of us, are already a given.

That's perhaps because society has different expectations of the middle classes, and different safety nets exist within middle class, settled families which may be less apparent amongst travellers with low expectations or who have themselves been discouraged from behaving like the middle classes.

So I think a certain degree of greater encouragement must be applied to travellers: increase learning resources, improve their environment, equip them with expectations of achievement, see to it that the support structures are in place which don't necessitate traveller parents to always have to struggle to constantly make the right decision.

And perhaps encouragement is not enough. I also wonder, looking at those statistics, whether it is not time to firmly push traveller parents into taking more responsible decisions for their children too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/weekend/2011/0528/1224297951777.html
    Saw this on the blood of the travellers show that was on TV recently.

"The final solution to the itinerary problem will be assimilation"
    In 1963, when Charles Haughey’s Commission on Itinerancy issued its findings they began with these chilling first three words.

Total assimilation, intergration and disperal into the settled commity is the answer to these issues, unless some one can point out how their lifestyle fits in with a developed modern econmoy and social welfare state.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭Laminations

On the other hand, travellers have to really want to go against the grain and send their kids to school

I'm assuming the 'grain' you refer to here is traveller culture. So unless you are proposing we actively aim to change this culture, or at least stop kowtowing to it, then these are self-imposed disadvantages.

These conversations go like:
    Person 1: How can we help disadvantaged travellers.
    Person 2: Intervene here...mandatory this...change xyz
    Person 1: How dare you interfere with their culture. How dare you impose your cultural norms on an ethnic minority.
    Person 2: I'm outta here.

Mathepac,
    Very good post. Agree with it generally.

In recent times traveller women are asserting themselves more, planning families, and seeking houses.

As against that, drugs are making inroads, and some of them are dealing.

Still they, and those who campaign for them have a ridiculous sense of entitlement.

And they are not a separate ethnic group - that is a wheeze to get more from the tax payer for the traveller support industry.

Nevertheless, I would suggest one answer might be found in how Irish people make decisions. Most of our decisions are made for us according to the classes we belong to. This intra-class social cohesion suggests that you have to really want not to send your kids to school if you are middle class and settled. You probably have to really suck at being a middle class parent to rear children that will display the same characteristics as observed in travellers.
    On the other hand, travellers have to really want to go against the grain and send their kids to school, they have to expend a lot more energy making decisions which, for the rest of us, are already a given.

That's perhaps because society has different expectations of the middle classes, and different safety nets exist within middle class, settled families which may be less apparent amongst travellers with low expectations or who have themselves been discouraged from behaving like the middle classes.

So I think a certain degree of greater encouragement must be applied to travellers: increase learning resources, improve their environment, equip them with expectations of achievement, see to it that the support structures are in place which don't necessitate traveller parents to always have to struggle to constantly make the right decision.

And perhaps encouragement is not enough. I also wonder, looking at those statistics, whether it is not time to firmly push traveller parents into taking more responsible decisions for their children too.

Sorry, a lot of this, I may be wrong so hold my hands up, but sounds like absolute waffle you would hear from a college student.

It is the Law for every child to go to school, so this "class" system you are bringing in is completely void when it comes to school.

At the end of the day, the mild swipes you are taking at the middle class (you know the majority of people, who pay their taxes, obey the law and get no handouts or benefits from anywhere for doing the "right" thing) has little or anything to do with travellers or this thread.

It is the Law for every child to go to school, so this "class" system you are bringing in is completely void when it comes to school.
    I am saying that most middle class families would be outraged if a member stopped sending their kids to school.

But perhaps travellers have been socially conditioned to disengage with society, or feel discouraged, or lack confidence in relation to scholarly pursuits.
    At the end of the day, the mild swipes you are taking at the middle class
    I have no idea why you would think I am taking 'swipes' at the middle classes. I'm suggesting differences in how decisions are made for the middle classes by middle class norms. Most of our parents never had to think about sending their kids to school, they just did it because it was the done thing, and they were conditioned to believe it would be absurd not to.

In order to reach a similar level of achievement as the middle class settled community, travellers have to repeatedly go against what is 'the done thing' in their community. Decisions are not made for them in the same way.

Therefore, we perhaps have to see how we may effectively apply our norms to travellers.

I am saying that most middle class families would be outraged if a member stopped sending their kids to school.

But perhaps travellers have been socially conditioned to disengage with society, or feel discouraged, or lack confidence in relation to scholarly pursuits.

I have no idea why you would think I am taking 'swipes' at the middle classes. I'm suggesting differences in how decisions are made for the middle classes by middle class norms. These may not apply to travellers, so we have to see how we may effectively apply these norms to travellers.

Firstly, I don't think we have any class system in Ireland or any that make up even a tiny percentage of the population.

Other then that, travellers are like anyone else, they have been given handouts and benefits for decades know and had the government and councils bending over backwards to them. I think it is now discriminatory to continue treating them like they are lower then any of us.

Firstly, I don't think we have any class system in Ireland
    There is no formal caste system if that's what you mean. But of course there are relatively coherent layers of socio-economic backgrounds.
    I think it is now discriminatory to continue treating them like they are lower then any of us.
    Have you read the statistics? I think the fact that travellers as a group display some very different social, educational and longevity characteristics to the rest of us is firmly established.

• Advertisement

There is no formal caste system if that's what you mean. But of course there are relatively coherent layers of socio-economic backgrounds.
    Yeah but that has little to do with what most people percieve when they hear "class" in political arguments.
    Have you read the statistics? I think the fact that travellers as a group display some very different social, educational and longevity characteristics to the rest of us is firmly established.

Yes that might be true, but, for arguments sake, so could a study on skangers. It does not mean I am going to go all Florence Nightingale on them. I think after decades of assistance, benefits and welfare, the finger has to be purely pointed on lifestyle and culture. They are adults with brains, lets be mature and treat them like so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

MOD NOTE:

This is a potentially contentious issue, so I am going to make two requests.

First, it would be useful for all of us reading the thread if people making claims about traveller behavior/outcomes could also provide some sort of link or data. The OP was kind enough to start us off with some statistics, and posters should respond in kind.

Second, I would like to remind people that the topic of this thread is Traveller disadvantage. Now is not the time to attack the usual bug bears (liberalism, libertarians, etc). Off-topic posts deleted. There won't be any more warnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Why is Traveller disadvantage not a mainstream concern?

With stenorian words of Moderation ringing in my ears,perhaps the only opinion which can be safely offered is to address the Thread Title.....

Because "mainstream" Irish people's concern levels are already fully occupied by somewhat lesser,perhaps selfish considerations such as:Paying a Mortgage,Paying School Fees,Paying Insurance premia,Paying Rent,Paying Wages,Paying Medical Bills or just generally paying......Maybe thats the why...:confused:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Good post AlekSmart

To get away from the socio-economic theory I undeerstand there is, or was until recently a back to school grant of €400 for school children whose parents are under a certain income level.

This is €800 in the case of travellers. A very high number of travellers drink it.

No doubt you will share the link for that?

I don't doubt that a lot of travellers have personal problems.

If any of us had grown up in caravans on the side of the road and inherited disadvantages like those observed in the Equality Authority/ ESRI report, I wonder how many of us would be tempted to drink the welfare money as well.

Nobody is suggesting that travellers are worthy of mass beatification, no more than any other group in society.

But it might be a little more helpful to question why both the settled community and the traveller community do not adequately respond to the distressing conditions of travellers, which are so markedly worse than those enjoyed by other members of the community, including other minorities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

No doubt you will share the link for that?

I don't doubt that a lot of travellers have personal problems.

If any of us had grown up in caravans on the side of the road and inherited disadvantages like those observed in the Equality Authority/ ESRI report, I wonder how many of us would be tempted to drink the welfare money as well.

Nobody is suggesting that travellers are worthy of mass beatification, no more than any other group in society.

But it might be a little more helpful to question why both the settled community and the traveller community do not adequately respond to the distressing conditions of travellers, which are so markedly worse than those enjoyed by other members of the community, including other minorities.

The bit in bold sounds familiar. Didn't I often hear that if any of us had grown up in Derry in the late 1960s and 1970s that we would have ended up in the IRA? Those sort of generalisations are of little value. Just like I know of many people who didn't follow the IRA path, I know of those from the travelling community who followed a different path.

That being said, there is a lot to what you say. There is no doubt that the facts show that the travelling community suffers from the disadvantages outlined in your OP. There is also no doubt that some of the responsibility for those disadvantages falls on the settled community.

However, there are traveller cultural issues that make a solution on the part of the settled community impossible. A solution to the problem will require greater funding, greater awareness and greater tolerance from the settled community. I have no doubt that is possible (especially when you see that many other cultures have been accepted in Ireland over the last ten years) but and this is the big issue, any solution will require cultural compromise on the part of the travelling community and some sacrifice of the outdated cultural practices that pervade their existence. Just because they have a distinct culture doesn't mean they have a right to an antiquarian anti-woman, anti-child, anti-education culture.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.
    This is the crux of the matter, the $64,000question IMHO.

We (or at least the stats strokers on our behalf) view the outcomes of traveller life-style choices as negative, but do travellers share that view? I accept that the traveller support industry probably does, they are paid to, but in reality how much of it is just a sham and how much is perception because we don't know what they see as positive or negative?

Why do we not see or hear more of the adverse consequences of their life-stle choices from them? All I seem to see on the telly is this new "culture" they talk about, a vile, disgusting cross between Texas whore-house and Disney World. The key aspect of their latest revelations is ostentatious wealth and a total disregard for anyone's rights except their own.

I they choose to be isolationist, that suits me fine for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

So, this is census data. Who filled out the forms? How were they delivered and collected from "nomads"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,634 ✭✭✭flutered

i used to be a sports coach in another life, i came across a traveler girl that was just a class act, (quoting p flynn) in a particular sport, i was in the process of arranging a scholarship for her in the u.s. i met her father (in a pub) to speak to him about it, folks was i sorry, i got a torrent of abuse, also a jist of she was staying here, staying with her family, marrying one of her own, when i tried to explain that she would be in a position to earn money at the sport it got worse, afterwords whenever any of the family came across me i got more verbal advice.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement