Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cam saves your ass (no Roundabout stuff please :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭eqwjewoiujqorj

TechMoan has loads of reviews of cameras.

Here's a 1080p HD car cam, about 100 euro.

It's a 20 minute review, so you might want to download it to view in 1080p , if your internet connection is not the best.

Blog article:
    http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2011/11/13/a-black-box-for-your-car.html

YouTube Channel
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Techmoan#g/u

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

I presume you have it plugged into the cigarette lighter? If that's the case how did you tidy up the cable? The unit I have has a stupidly long cable and I'm not sure how I should tidy it up.

http://www.prestigio.com/products/Car-Electronics/Car_Video_Recorder/Roadrunner_GH1

I have mine running up over the headlining, down behind the seats, under the center console and the wire pop out right at the socket.

Hardwire it!

You can't with the one I have as it runs on 5v and the ligher plug is a converter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

I have mine running up over the headlining, down behind the seats, under the center console and the wire pop out right at the socket.

You can't with the one I have as it runs on 5v and the ligher plug is a converter.

You can! look at my pics..its a hardwire cig lighter socket. I plugged in the original cig wire, taped and cable tied it and put it behind the dash..so it frees up my factory sig socket and no unsightly wires..:D

Heres one already soldered up..cut off the lighter end and hardwire it.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/M9N-NEW-CIGAR-CIGARETTE-LIGHTER-12V-DC-EXTENSION-CABLE-LEAD-POWER-DC-ADAPTOR-/260904047980?pt=UK_ConsumerElectronics_PowerAdaptors_SM&hash=item3cbf17d56c

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭TigerTim

I think I've been more unlucky than Nissan Doctor. I've the same model but mine keeps freezing. At least once a day I have to pop out the battery & put it back in. Quality is fairly good for the price but it's a pain to have ro reset it all the time. Tried different/faster SD card but the same happens.

T.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

What class SD card are you using ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Pique

Jimdagym wrote: »
    Is that the same one puppet master linked too? Some images out of it for that price.

Also, is it possible to knock the mic off? I'm a bit of a sing-in-the-car kinda guy!!!

So is the Doctor, by the sounds of it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

You can! look at my pics..its a hardwire cig lighter socket. I plugged in the original cig wire, taped and cable tied it and put it behind the dash..so it frees up my factory sig socket and no unsightly wires..:D

Heres one already soldered up..cut off the lighter end and hardwire it.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/M9N-NEW-CIGAR-CIGARETTE-LIGHTER-12V-DC-EXTENSION-CABLE-LEAD-POWER-DC-ADAPTOR-/260904047980?pt=UK_ConsumerElectronics_PowerAdaptors_SM&hash=item3cbf17d56c

I get you, A hidden lighter socket is on my list of things to do. I thought you were talking about wiring the camera straight to the cars power.
    Is that the same one puppet master linked too? Some images out of it for that price.

Its the same type alright.
    Also, is it possible to knock the mic off? I'm a bit of a sing-in-the-car kinda guy!!!
    Pique wrote: »
    So is the Doctor, by the sounds of it :)

I'm not sure if you can turn off the mic but its probably wise to listen to the video properly before you upload it to a public forum and embarrass yourself with dodgy singing:o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

On the one I have you have a choice of recording sound or not. It should be in the options menu along with Resolution and record length section size (2min,5min,15min).

• Advertisement

I'd imagine that it would be a good thing to keep on..... If you are unfortunate to have a knock the other person could make some comment or statement that could well be caught by the camera. If you're publishing footage on here movie maker on windows can kill the sound for you...

Oh yeah I totally agree. The option is there though, for the person that asked and liked singing in the car. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Damien360

TechMoan has loads of reviews of cameras.

Here's a 1080p HD car cam, about 100 euro.

It's a 20 minute review, so you might want to download it to view in 1080p , if your internet connection is not the best.

Blog article:
    http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2011/11/13/a-black-box-for-your-car.html

YouTube Channel
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Techmoan#g/u

I am very tempted by that 1080p unit. I am struggling to find a recognisable seller online. Most are US based.

Is there an Irish/euro area one that anyone has used with no complaints ? Chinavision are just wholesalers and well.....Chinese.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Damien360 wrote: »
    I am very tempted by that 1080p unit. I am struggling to find a recognisable seller online. Most are US based.

Is there an Irish/euro area one that anyone has used with no complaints ? Chinavision are just wholesalers and well.....Chinese.

All the ones on ebay seem to be £160 ish + . He mentions £100 in the video . Wouldnt mind payign that but £160 is touching €200.

I get you, A hidden lighter socket is on my list of things to do. I thought you were talking about wiring the camera straight to the cars power.

Yep, An add a circuit in addition to this makes live alot easier and avoids the use of those awful vampire taps. chuck into a switched fuse and bolt the earth to a ground somewhere on the chassis and your sorted.

Ebay Add-a-circuit link

itemimage11199135040.jpg

I, However have to be awkward..I've a few accessories in the car so I've a live and aux fuse box wired in .. the switched one is a (BUSS) from the states.

Here's a picture while I was testing the current and untidied!

img0099large.jpg

Its quite cheap to setup but overkill for most people..costs about €30 for relay, wiring, boxes, etc.

Heres is the wiring diagram..not or the faint-hearted but I'm no mechanic and managed to put it all together: :cool:

fuse_block_wiring_Medium.gif

Best of luck :cool:

All the ones on ebay seem to be £160 ish + . He mentions £100 in the video . Wouldnt mind payign that but £160 is touching €200.

From the footage being obtained from a thirty euro job, would you plush that kind of cash for HD ?

MugMugs wrote: »
    From the footage being obtained from a thirty euro job, would you plush that kind of cash for HD ?

I am not really after the 1080p but a quality video unit with sound and GPS. All the 30 quid ones have camera only and are hard to ignore. 720p is enough really. GPS addition (for speed readback mainly in my case) seems to add a lot to the price. That particular unit is nice and small compared to all others. That is why I am interested but like guy incognito, touching 200 is just too much for any unit. Cheers.

MugMugs wrote: »

I like the gps logging stuff the most tbh. It's the type of thing I've been after for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭C.D.

I can't seem to find any UK based sellers on eBay.. only US based. Could you PM a link? My ageing roadhawk needs replacing and its my birthday in a few weeks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭RTT

kceire wrote: »
    sanyo-xacti-hd-camcorders.jpg

Anybody got any idea on how i could mount one of these in my car? No point buying something when this is sitting in the bedside locker.

So far ive thought of placing it at the rearview mirror and using the flip out screen as a lever and tie it around the mirror with an elastic band or one of the GF's hair bobbons :D
    Sitting in the bedside locker eh? Im sure you could think of other uses for it!:)

I bought a key chain cam and mounted it on the dash with blue tac. Works pretty well. Saw it in the bargain alerts forum.

• Advertisement

C.D. wrote: »
    I can't seem to find any UK based sellers on eBay.. only US based. Could you PM a link? My ageing roadhawk needs replacing and its my birthday in a few weeks :)

They're all hong hong based from what I can see. Just have to take the chances with paying customs I suppose

They're all hong hong based from what I can see. Just have to take the chances with paying customs I suppose

Ways and means...most those HK sellers will label it a low value if you ask them ;)

THIS is supposed to be a cracking camera along the lines of the Go Pro but Amazon are selling it much cheaper for the last while. Can be used as helmet cam or with a dash mount too.
    Not cheap but for what you get it's still a good price and a pretty versatile unit.

I could have done with one today.

Lad in a 04 black golf van fsi, tried to get me to go in to the back of him. Lucky for me, I was in the brakes already getting ready for my turn off in the filter lane in the middle of the road ( I am an early braker). He was going same way but braked very early before the turn off and very hard. He also left the rear of the car sticking out for any car in lane to left to clip it.

He then went down the M9 in the right hand lane at 100kmph with absolutely nothing ahead of him in either lane. It felt like he wanted me to take the inside lane so we could "meet". Considering I met him on a small country road going like the clappers a few minutes before as he passed a t-junction, his behaviour on M9 made no sense. I held back for about 3km and he soon gave up and pulled over.

I really wished I had the camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

I saw somebody posted a Prestigio camera,
    and my review is based on their computer products (ipad type thing) and I DONT LIKE. Yes its cheap, but it constantly freezes, slow and just not worth it.
    So if this camera is like their other products....I wouldn't buy it.

Just giving a heads up, somebody here might have a different opinion on it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

kupus wrote: »
    I saw somebody posted a Prestigio camera,
    and my review is based on their computer products (ipad type thing) and I DONT LIKE. Yes its cheap, but it constantly freezes, slow and just not worth it.
    So if this camera is like their other products....I wouldn't buy it.

Just giving a heads up, somebody here might have a different opinion on it though.

I have one, it's called the roadmate and haven't had any problems with it. This was taken with it:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

I think car manufacturers should start putting these in cars themselves

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Yup its a small cost in the grand scheme of things

As long as it's mandatory/stock for the Irish market. Good luck to getting anyone to choose it as an "extra" if it was a choice to begin with. :pac:

• Advertisement

Then there would have to be a law that it was mandatory.
    Then a law that it was an offence to interfere with it.
    Then a law that in the event of an accident, it is automatically available to the Gardai without your permission.
    Then a law that they can use your own footage as evidence against you.

Add all these together and they could just plug into the ECU to check your driving speeds over the last year and fine you based on that (as has been scare-mongered about wrt bikes).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement