Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New icerink!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

PMC83 wrote: »
    I have posted a pic on this thread:

http://forums.internationalhockey.net/showthread.php?11074-New-rink

It was availible on the bulleye facebook page so I assume it isnt a major secret.

yeh, the rink isnt, the people are. i love how you interpreted me saying not to link someons private facebook page to "dont show people pictures of the rink".
    Zamboni wrote: »
    Hockey in Ireland will never exist with all this cloak and dagger bullsh1t.
    Nothing changes.
    There are about 15 people with the knowledge and potential financial backing to open an ice rink in Ireland and none of them have made it work so far because none of them have the business expertise to make an ice rink a commerically viable product in this country.
    So, I'll believe it when I see it, and then I'll give them 18 months to run it into the ground.

i love how this is getting completely blown out of the water. the chaps running it have let all the heads know in the sport who will and always have called the shots. seems to me that you're a little upset that you arent in the loop or something. The iiha know all about it yaddah yaddah. The only reason i know is because i did a little work for them. i simply said not to post the chaps facebook page, because he doesnt want people knowing hes running it. i could give 2 fks about how you or anyone else see's this little situation. i was simply asking for poeple to respect a chaps privicy. But no, everyone wants to know everyones business or they throw their rattle out of the pram. tough. I really dont care if you dont belive it. the pics are in that news letter. i've been there myself.
    If Mick is right on the International Hockey forum and those boards are the property of the IIHA under what agreement are they being used?

The IIHA own a full set of boards and they were in the accounts but have been fully depreciated over time and no longer feature on the 2011 Financial Statements

But if the IIHA have sold these boards to this new venture or if the IIHA are leasing/renting the boards to this venture then the current IIHA Treasurer will have to realise the value of these boards in the 2012 Financial Statements either as an income from the disposal of a fixed asset or as a fixed asset that is yielding a rental income.

they arent the IIHa boards. The rink have their own boards. But again thats not really any of your business anyway.. aside from that who cares? Whats your point? this has nothing to do with the topic of conversation...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭PMC83

red_ice wrote: »
    yeh, the rink isnt, the people are. i love how you interpreted me saying not to link someons private facebook page to "dont show people pictures of the rink".

Didn't interperate anything of yours mate...don't be so sensitive eh?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Bit of calm needed here I reckon, nothing worth getting annoyed about lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Shanannigan

all this lack of hockey seems to be going to people's heads.. taking out their aggression on these boards rather than those of an ice filled rink... roll on (or should i say "skate on") the opening and use of this rink before somebody virtually pokes an eye out with a stick blade...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

they arent the IIHa boards. The rink have their own boards. But again thats not really any of your business anyway.. aside from that who cares? Whats your point? this has nothing to do with the topic of conversation...

Actually it would be the business of every fully paid up to date IIHA member if they were the IIHA boards to ensure the association was recieving some form of tangible benefit for its members.
    But if they are not, well then they are not.

To be honest I hope this venture works.
    I hope it makes money and pays appropriate taxes.
    I hope it is financed legitamately.
    I hope there is no illegality/cronyism involved.
    I hope their is a legitamate business plan with somebody who knows what they are doing directing it.
    Maybe then we could have hockey in a rink that last longer than a couple of years.

• Advertisement

Didn't interperate anything of yours mate...don't be so sensitive eh?;)
    It was availible on the bulleye facebook page so I assume it isnt a major secret.

Ahh well im reading it that people are saying im trying to be elitist or something by not showing pics or what ever. Its hardly a big secret since i started the topic in the first place! :pac:

Actually it would be the business of every fully paid up to date IIHA member if they were the IIHA boards to ensure the association was recieving some form of tangible benefit for its members.

That attitude is exactly whats wrong with this situation... "what can you do for us". How about "you can play hockey in our private rink". Sounds fair to me?

I am a fully paid IIHA Member and have been involved in hockey since around 95/96... I don't really care about those boards. The association milks benefits via other avenues such as ITC cards, where other nationalities pay 3/4 times the amount that it is in any other country in the world. I think that you're forgetting that this isn't about making money for the IIHA, its a private rink that the owners are letting the IIHA use. Those boards were previously sitting in a lock up doing nothing, and in fairness could go back there from what i can see as they are being used for roller hockey. The complex is also housing the main figure skating and curling associations of Ireland. Not only that each governing body AND hockey team is given office space to work from. Yet in your books this private investor (who is giving the IIHAs teams and organization an office space and rink to use) should be paying for the use of those boards?

That is hilarious.

Not only that each governing body AND hockey team is given office space to work from.

Jaziz, sounds very impressive at the end of the day, I can't wait to check it out! I reckon the roller hockey will do well there too, its played 5 nights a week in Ballyfermot at the moment, admittedly numbers will probably dwindle once the ice appears, but we've two teams that were inline before ice, so hopefully we will keep it up!

Opinions a side, I reckon we can all agree this is going to be great, long may it last!!!!:D

The association milks benefits via other avenues such as ITC cards, where other nationalities pay 3/4 times the amount that it is in any other country in the world.

With the previous trend of conversation I just thought I would try word this better because feel I used strong words (milking for example) to describe my point...

I'm not trying to speak negative about the IIHA or any of those organizations, they do what they do to survive etc and that's fine by me. It really doesn't effect me at all, I just like to play hockey.

Also, Zamboni, or anyone else, I honestly don't mean offend you in my replies, I'm just being brutally honest.

Jaziz, sounds very impressive at the end of the day, I can't wait to check it out! I reckon the roller hockey will do well there too, its played 5 nights a week in Ballyfermot at the moment, admittedly numbers will probably dwindle once the ice appears, but we've two teams that were inline before ice, so hopefully we will keep it up!

Opinions a side, I reckon we can all agree this is going to be great, long may it last!!!!:D

Defo! While its all just bricks and mortar right now, there are big plans to nurture every aspect of hockey from what I've heard. The lads running this are really trying to do what they can.

The one thing that I am worried about is that while there will be a huge buzz, that will die out and the rink might just taken for granted. The community really has to support this rink in anyway they can when it goes live.

I wonder what effect this new facility will have on Dundalk? On the plus side it could spawn so much interest that a year from now its worth opening and is financialy viable again. On the other hand though it could be a thorn in the side of of the Ice dome opening, why would Dublin based hockey players/ice skaters travel to Dundalk?

Can Ireland generate enough interest to get keep two rinks open?:confused:

I wonder what effect this new facility will have on Dundalk? On the plus side it could spawn so much interest that a year from now its worth opening and is financialy viable again. On the other hand though it could be a thorn in the side of of the Ice dome opening, why would Dublin based hockey players/ice skaters travel to Dundalk?

Can Ireland generate enough interest to get keep two rinks open?:confused:

I think Dundalk is dead in the water to be honest. That English company 'planet ice' or something were looking at it, but if they were really interested in it by now I am sure people would have heard about it.

If the Ice dome did open, they will miss out on a fair few hockey teams, but they wont lose their junior programs and public skate sessions. I hated going to Dundalk, and I only started going to the Ice Dome when the Charlstown rink opened because the league was using both Charlstown and Dundalk.

Right now I'm pretty sure theres only enough room for one rink in Ireland and if that gets challenged it will be the one that the players will support i reckon.

I did a kids hockey program when the Charstown rink was open, and by the time the rink closed to the public and shut down over all there was around 50 kids from 6-12 years of age playing every Saturday morning, and that was over the space of 3 or so months from word of mouth! There was also figure skating classes which had around the same numbers I think? Between public sessions, figure skating, curling and ice hockey, I wouldn't be surprised if it was hard to get ice time full stop in this place when it opens.

There are a whole lot of people in Dublin right now that would love to play some hockey but they cant get to a rink. The Royal College of Surgeons has hockey played in the Gym area every Sunday with 20 or so lads running around with sticks and gloves. There are also foreign students in other colleges I'm sure that would love to play also. I know the main reason they didn't play Ice hockey was because they couldn't get transport to Dundalk!

They are working on a number of ways to generate money to keep the rink alive, when it opens for the public to use for recreation and so on is when profit will come. The facility is very accessible and quick to get to from the m50. I think there's a good chance there will be allot of interest in the rink.

• Advertisement

I think Dundalk is dead in the water to be honest. That English company 'planet ice' or something were looking at it, but if they were really interested in it by now I am sure people would have heard about it.

If the Ice dome did open, they will miss out on a fair few hockey teams, but they wont lose their junior programs and public skate sessions. I hated going to Dundalk, and I only started going to the Ice Dome when the Charlstown rink opened because the league was using both Charlstown and Dundalk.

Right now I'm pretty sure theres only enough room for one rink in Ireland and if that gets challenged it will be the one that the players will support i reckon.

I did a kids hockey program when the Charstown rink was open, and by the time the rink closed to the public and shut down over all there was around 50 kids from 6-12 years of age playing every Saturday morning, and that was over the space of 3 or so months from word of mouth! There was also figure skating classes which had around the same numbers I think? Between public sessions, figure skating, curling and ice hockey, I wouldn't be surprised if it was hard to get ice time full stop in this place when it opens.

There are a whole lot of people in Dublin right now that would love to play some hockey but they cant get to a rink. The Royal College of Surgeons has hockey played in the Gym area every Sunday with 20 or so lads running around with sticks and gloves. There are also foreign students in other colleges I'm sure that would love to play also. I know the main reason they didn't play Ice hockey was because they couldn't get transport to Dundalk!

They are working on a number of ways to generate money to keep the rink alive, when it opens for the public to use for recreation and so on is when profit will come. The facility is very accessible and quick to get to from the m50. I think there's a good chance there will be allot of interest in the rink.

One of those right here.

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    One of those right here.

Not anymore! ;D

Not anymore! ;D

Any idea's of when this might open?

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

I heard they are trying for December but some of it is out of their hands, like fire safety certification stuff.
    Sounds like there are good plans for all the different ice associations though, I really hope it all works out!

Any idea's of when this might open?

The goal is within the next month, which might stretch to December as Wisco said previously...

The main reason that its not being used I would imagine is because the pumps arent working yet. The grid is up and boards are in place, everythings ready except the means to pump ethanol around the pipes to cool it! When thats sorted there is a week of testing for leaks as the pipes and links that connect the pipes will expand as the room cools etc. If there is a leak, the pipes have to be drained, then the leaks fixed, then its another week of testing.

So its a case of hoping that the pipes hold up and there are no leaks really!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

I just hope it works for everyone and nobody gets shafted.
    I'm too damned old for hockey now but it will be great to see some ice in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭cena

Is that meant to be an NHL size rink? It looks smaller. But than it could be the vid

cena wrote: »
    Is that meant to be an NHL size rink? It looks smaller. But than it could be the vid

It is NHL sized, yes. Looks about right to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭cena

It is NHL sized, yes. Looks about right to me.

The vid just makes it look smaller to me. Do you think NHL teams mite come and use the place some time.

• Advertisement

The vid just makes it look smaller to me. Do you think NHL teams mite come and use the place some time.

I wouldn't hold out much hope on that man...

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

. Do you think NHL teams mite come and use the place some time.

Not a chance. I'd say best bet of seeing NHL in Ireland is Belfast. They'd never come somewhere with no room for spectators.

Wisco wrote: »
    Not a chance. I'd say best bet of seeing NHL in Ireland is Belfast. They'd never come somewhere with no room for spectators.

Theres plans to get games in there eventually. The far wall in the video is going to have tiered seating, which is currently in pieces in another room!

Its not NHL sized, its a couple of meters short width wise (about a board) and 2 or so boards in length, but it wont be very noticeable when you're on the ice. It will still make for a great game of hockey. It would be like coming from international ice to NHL, only not as big a difference.

<edit>tbh, the video actually makes it look bigger</edit>

I saw the place myself during the week, looks AMAZING!!:D Can't wait to see it up and running!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 hockeymad

I hear there are 3 new Ice Rinks being built in Ireland.
    There is two open for Christmas Dundrum on Ice opened yesterday till the 28th of Jan and 7up Winter wonderland that opens on the 8th of Dec till the 8th of Jan

There is a new rink opening soon as posted on the Flyers web page ( http://www.flyersicehockey.com/irl/ )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Shanannigan

wonder when they're gonna flood it.. would be pretty cool to see a time lapse of it like they do for the winter/heritage classic

• Registered Users Posts: 34 victap8

has anyone seen this rink? will there be facilities like showers/dressing rooms etc? Anyone know the whereabouts of the location for this rink so I can check out the building atleast? Very eager to start playing hockey after waiting for 8 years.

Any update on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 victap8

Any update on this?

I heard Latvian guys are coming in to do the refrigiration plant tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 hockeymad

Did you all hear that there is a new Ice Rink after opening in Castleknock D15 across from bradys motors :)

They are only there for Christmas but they hope to stay open for good afterwards

They are on Facebook under Castleknock On Ice

They are the crew that ran Navan on Ice

Advertisement