Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the new ipad for me?

• 28-04-2012 8:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭

I am considering purchasing a tablet and I was wondering if some people who own one could advise me.

Im thinking of buying the 16gb new ipad with wifi.

Id be using the tablet for:

Viewing and editing power point files,
    viewing and editing Microsoft word ( or any doc file)
    Reading and editing pdf files (some would be quite large)

would the ipad be capable of doing these tasks?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Those all sound to me like tasks that would be a LOT easier done on a laptop.
    I'm not sure Adobe has a version of Writer for iPad, either.

TBH, great and all as the iPad is, its not really for creation, more for consumption.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

I wanted a tablet because its so portable.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

No, an iPad would not be suitable for you for these tasks.

Have you looked at netbooks? They are very portable and would probably be better suited for what you want.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

No, not for those tasks.

I thought you could get adobe reader for ipad and that slide shark allows viewing of power point slides??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

You'd have no problem viewing those files types. The issue would be editing them and I wouldn't entirely agree with everyone else. While a laptop would do those editing tasks better, an iPad would be able to do them as well. The lack of file system and having to transfer files back and forth between apps would be the main issue.

I'm not sure about editing PDF files though. That's hard to do even on a PC. I assume you mean adding notes/annotations?

I saw on you tube that there is an app where you can remotely work from your desktop on your ipad allowing you to work on word or powerpoint.

Now that I think about it i don't really ever edit pdf files, just read them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Irishchick wrote: »
    I saw on you tube that there is an app where you can remotely work from your desktop on your ipad allowing you to work on word or powerpoint.

there is an adobe reader

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Sure, but I don't know why anyone would want to do that.

Obviously the OP does;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭jonnysimples

I'd agree with the most of the comments so far - the iPad is great for consumption but not so much for creation.

If portabaility is key why not take a look at some of the new ultrabooks that are exteremly slimline? Or if you can hold-off for a few months we should start to see the first Windows 8 ARM devices (slates) being released.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

If its not for you just give it to me:D You can do remote login but the point people are making is that typing a text document on an ipad would be hard just because the lack of a keyboard.

PowerPoint yeah I do it on my iphone so its not that much effort because theres not much text.

You don't even need Adobe Reader. Almost anything can open PDF files.

To access all the programmes and files on my laptop (word, powerpoint) from an ipad while in college.

You don't think that's a useful feature??

Doylers wrote: »
    If its not for you just give it to me:D You can do remote login but the point people are making is that typing a text document on an ipad would be hard just because the lack of a keyboard.

PowerPoint yeah I do it on my iphone so its not that much effort because theres not much text.

I can see the the keyboard might be an issue with word but most of the work I would need to do would be on powerpoint.

Id just use word for note taking.

To access all the programmes and files on my laptop (word, powerpoint) from an ipad while in college.

No, use DropBox.

I don't necessarily agree with the "good for consumption not for creation" comments. That was probably true a first, but there's almost an app for everything now. I played around with the idea of using my iPad for college and found there was nothing that it wouldn't have potentially been able to handle. The main reason I didn't in the end was due to the lack of keyboard, which really slows you down and makes certain tasks very awkward.

No, use DropBox.

But you still need an application to open those dropbox files like word and powerpoint??
    The main reason I didn't in the end was due to the lack of keyboard,

What about a bluetooth keyboard??

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Reading and editing pdf files (some would be quite large)

I use iAnnotate PDF and it works great for marking up PDF files (Use it when studying). Here is a sample.

http://i.imgur.com/exQM7.png

If you are wondering about the huge picture, it is because of the iPad3 screen resolution is awesome.

The other stuff is Microsoft only, so good luck there.

Keyboard on screen is fine for typing, you can also use bluetooth keyboards (like Apple keyboard).

But you still need an application to open those dropbox files like word and powerpoint??
    Not to view them. The DropBox app can view most file types. To edit them, yes, but there are iPad apps that can do that.
    Yeah, but personally I wouldn't fancy having to drag a keyboard add-on around. It defeats the purpose of a tablet IMO.

I use iAnnotate PDF and it works great for marking up PDF files (Use it when studying). Here is a sample.

http://i.imgur.com/exQM7.png

Thats exactly what im looking for, thanks. I suppose with the dropbox app you wouldnt need to waste loads of space putting files on the ipad itself?

Does the ipad have the notes app like the iphone does?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Does the ipad have the notes app like the iphone does?
    Yep. And there's loads of really slick third-party notes apps.

Irishchick, I get the impression you want an iPad regardless of what people say. But I can't say I blame you. I'm typing this on my new one and it *completes me* :p

Basically I'd say a notebook would be far more suitable for your needs, but you could get away with an iPad.

Think about it - how would that work? How would you right-click, for example? How would you move the mouse around, etc.

I have one and it is unusable, quite simply. It is ok for basic note taking, but for anything more, forget it.

I'd have to agree with Dades - you seem to have your mind made up about an iPad, despite what we are telling you.

Tom Dunne wrote: »

Think about it - how would that work? How would you right-click, for example? How would you move the mouse around, etc.

I have one and it is unusable, quite simply. It is ok for basic note taking, but for anything more, forget it.

I'd have to agree with Dades - you seem to have your mind made up about an iPad, despite what we are telling you.

I'd be lying if i said I didn't want one! I really want an ipad but i have to be able tio view powerpoint notes in class to justify the cost.

What is it about the keyboard that makes it so unusable?

When remotely accessing your desktop there I no need for a mouse. It's all touch screen.

As I said, you won't have any problems viewing powerpoint files. I'm able to view them in the DropBox app. GoodReader and Keynote and numerous other apps can also open them. I'm studying for exams at the moment and I'm reading over all the lecture slides on my iPad.

What is it about the keyboard that makes it so unusable?

The keyboard seems to have a mind of it's own. It continually loses connection and is too small to type. Now, maybe it's my fat fingers, I don't know, but I don't use it any more.
    When remotely accessing your desktop there I no need for a mouse. It's all touch screen.

I mean on the PC side. You are mimicking a mouse and it's functionality with a touch screen. It is not very straightforward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Owenw

I don't know what your budget is but have you considered the Macbook Air? Damn sexy looking sliver of silver aluminium and has proper backlit keyboard.

I've tried hard to justify an iPad but so far only got an iPod Touch (which is cool but has it's limitations.)

Owenw wrote: »
    I don't know what your budget is but have you considered the Macbook Air? Damn sexy looking sliver of silver aluminium and has proper backlit keyboard.

I've tried hard to justify an iPad but so far only got an iPod Touch (which is cool but has it's limitations.)

MacBook air is too expensive for me :(

Doesnt it cost around a grand?

MacBook air is too expensive for me :(

Doesnt it cost around a grand?

Did you get an ipad then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭jakdublin

I do that, but it's only useful in an emergency for accessing files. Trying to edit remotely is slow, awkward and frustrating.

You can do all the things you've mentioned with an iPad, just not as easily in some cases. It's great to have and you won't look back, but I'd imagine you'll still be needing your laptop for heavy work.

• Advertisement

Update: I got it and its working great. All the files can be viewed from dropbox, its so handy.

Adobe reader is great too with one exception. When you highlight text the highlighter turns off and you have to turn it back on every time you want to highlight a word or scentence

Advertisement