Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for change?

• 15-03-2011 6:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭

If you're any way into looking into space you will see there is very little chance we are alone in the universe and the sad thing is the first thing to land on this planet is going to be shot if it does anything out of ordinary.
    We arent ready for such happeneings as the world with its wars, poverty, apartheid etc. Is this ever going to stop? the view on the world as a child is the best view to have, people appear to go a touch cold over time given all the unneeded bad things that happen. Nature is nature but as a species I feel humans behaviour is really quite poor

any views?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

i agree with you on the part about human nature. humans are by far dispicable scum. the situation in Libya today has made me lose any belief in mankind

• Registered Users Posts: 35 ahwelltryagain

I definitely agree about human kind becoming cold hearted. Not to say that everyone is, or that the problem wasn't there before. In regard to what you metioned- war etc, I find myself questioning on a smaller scale, the general moral of individuals. I fail to see genuinely warm hearted people amongst the main stream every year that passes. Real selflessness, consideration and concern over others, and good deed do-ers who need no fame or reward..sad times :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭randd1

I find myself questioning on a smaller scale, the general moral of individuals. I fail to see genuinely warm hearted people amongst the main stream every year that passes. Real selflessness, consideration and concern over others, and good deed do-ers who need no fame or reward..sad times :(

I think that has much to do with the cult of celebrity. Young people growing up today don't want to be doctors, nurses, politicians or teachers, people that contribute hugely to society, they just want to be famous or have their name in the paper to gloat.

The problem with that is that a lot of these younger people grow up with the idea that they are something special and things should fall into place for them because they're so special, an idea which at its core is selfish. And, unfortunately, that attitude works for a lot of wannabe's which only fuels more delusional young people. You don't even have to have a talent or look good to be famous which only gives these people more encouragement.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

I don't think it's fair to generalise. Not all young people are that way inclined-hypnotised by the celebrity cult. I am a mother of 2 teenagers they and all their friends are interested in careers,bettering themselves and therefore the human race. Human behaviour can indeed bring us to the brink of despair and depression but there is always hope.There are so many clever and hugely talented young people bringing up the rear. I am definitely inspired and very hopeful for the advancement of humanity. Sure there are many reasons why we possibly should stay here on earth,not exploring and searching for life elsewhere. But there are so many more reasons why we ought to venture. It's in our genes I think,the spirit of adventure and exploration. It may not have always turned out too well but still I hope that will change and we will learn how to accept all others,no matter what their race,breed, culture,origins. Throughout the bad examples of human behaviour there has always been plenty of shining examples of goodness and empathy. We've got to cop on that's for sure .I'm actually not a lentil eating ,sandal wearing hemp covered nun, honest!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

True, war and evil have always been with us, but they were far worse in the past despite how it might look. We are moving towards a planetary culture (no distinction between countries) by the end of the century. What you see nowadays - ethnic and religious tension, civil war, protest against governance - are just the birth pangs of this. They are not much longer for this world.

• Advertisement
Advertisement