Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ballybunion thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,953 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Going to be a very long journey seeings how I live in New York. :D

No sacrifice is too great to promote international friendship and harmony.:D

Still, you could always drive down a straight road in New York, I don't think anyone will notice to be honest.:pac:

Failing that, you could always try a longer lens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭snow scorpion

ejmaztec wrote: »
    No sacrifice is too great to promote international friendship and harmony.:D

Still, you could always drive down a straight road in New York, I don't think anyone will notice to be honest.:pac:

I don't think I want to meet someone who can't tell the difference between Ballybunion and the Bronx.

c008.gif

blinddriverko1.jpg

Not in a million years could think this is my beloved Ballybunion.

concourse.jpg

blinddriverko1.jpg

You should send that to the guys who make the Jackass movies. They're always on the lookout for new ideas. :D

• Advertisement

Not in a million years could think this is my beloved Ballybunion.

concourse.jpg

If you squint your eyes a bit, those buildings look like cliffs.
    You should send that to the guys who make the Jackass movies. They're always on the lookout for new ideas. :D

They can't afford to lose another one in a car crash.:(

supertelephoto.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

Victoria22 wrote: »
    As far as I know, Listowel is the opposite side of Ballybunion, to Duagh. Geography is not my strong point, but, one has to pass Duagh, before you get to Ballybunion. The straight stretch of road is certainly a few miles from Duagh. Hopefully, someone else might have it.

hi all ..... I am not sure we are on the same page Victoria. Duagh is on the same side of the county as Listowel (in relation to Ballyb). To go from Duagh to Ballyb you have to go thru Listowel then Liselton. Or else go out of your way to go to Tralee road and then on to Ballyb. I dont have a video of the entry to Ballyb from the Tralee side, so I am going to take this as my first project of 2012. I will post it here when its done , and you can let us know if thats the road you remember.

Also, Monday Night Madness has finished. Hasnt happend in a couple of summers. Thats not to say that it will never come back! But please dont let that put you off coming here for a visit. The town is still very friendly and a fun place to visit.

Victoria,
    you wouldnt be thinking of Asdee would you? Thats on opp side of Ballyb , with a long straight stretch into town ....
    I will dig out (or make) a video of that route into town too and you can be the judge .

• Registered Users Posts: 35 listowel8

snow scorpion,looks like the grand concourse around 204th st.Lived just off it when i came here in 1965.Got married at lady of refuge just off the concourse.In the 60s you had to have money to live on the concourse or jewish.When Co-op city was built they all left and thought they were going to the promised land but to put it nicely the natives were there waiting for them.Any person that came on vacation in the 60s-70s to the bronx would remember the concourse and Alexanders on Fordham rd.What a wonderful place it was.But sadly the natives have turned a lot of it into a getto.You probably know B.B.famous exile Jerry mcmahon?

• Advertisement

listowel8, you made my heart jump for a minute when I started to read your post. I started to say to myself, "What the he--?" and then I looked under your name and saw Yonkers and everything started making sense again.

I was starting to wonder to myself, "You mean there's someone who walks past the statue of John B. everyday who knows 204th and the Concourse on sight?"

I remember Alexander's from when I was a little kid, but I can't say Jerry McMahon rings any bells.

mayormini.jpg

Our very own John Walsh is running for Mayor of Ballybunion.

Please support him!

Fleadh Cheoil Kerry is returning to Ballybunion after an absence of 50 years, and to generate interest & money, there is a race for the mayor. Local groups are asked to submit a candadate, and whoever raises the most money will be declared the mayor ....

the lines cost €2 and half goes to Fleadh and the other half goes to the candadates group.

The Ballybunion 10k and Half Marathon is scheduled for Saturday April 7th

see => Runballybunion.com

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭12april1981

If anyone looks up..and too the west this evening at 6.43 pm Sunday theres a space station flying over head.It will be travelling at 17500 mph.There are 2 American,a dutchman and three Russians onboard !

a whale was washed up on shore recently. I think its a Minke whale. It is currently high on the beach near the castle. There are plans to save the skeleton for a feature.

hopefully my son took photos today !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Frank165

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Preserve-the-Ballybunion-Whale/351718968192965

The whole town is behind it & the project is well under way to save the skeleton of a 2, tonne 17ft Pilot Whale (closest relative of the Killer Whale) that washed up on the long strand last weekend. Loads of National & local papers aswell as radio stations are following the good news story.
    The link below is to a similar but bigger project that took place in sligo

http://www.iwdg.ie/article.asp?id=2512.

Click the link below to see what it should turn out like
    http://www.travelblog.org/Photos/2361601

& finally the facebook page set up for the whole thing
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Preserve-the-Ballybunion-Whale/351718968192965

turns out its not a Minke whale, but a Pilot whale.

Here is a photo of the poor guy / gal

photo1hzf.jpg

photo3pf.jpg

photo3pf.jpg

The taxadermy man .... he gonna have a heart attack when he sees what I brung him!

Looks like Thursday was a beautiful day in the Kingdom if the Look Around You Photos thread is any indication.

Let's see, the thread averages 100-105 views of a day so it looks like we'll be going past the 200,000 view milestone sometime on 11 March.

the whale was hauled up onto a car recovery truck (it is a fladbed that can be lowered to the ground) and a lot of blubber & meat taken off the whale there. She was then taken to a local field and burried. The rest of the meat & flesh will be taken off by nature. This is expected to take 6 - 8 months. Then it will be dug up, cleaned (& preserved?) and screwed together and make a display of it by summer 2013.

Also,
    the ballybunion newsletter is 1 year old (last week), and boasts a well earned 3000 readers each week !

Here is issue 52 Issue 52

• Advertisement

Let's see, the thread averages 100-105 views of a day so it looks like we'll be going past the 200,000 view milestone sometime on 11 March.

Right on schedule.

Next big milestone is a quarter-million views: due on or about 24 July 2013. (I should have no trouble remembering that; it's my mother's birthday.)

nice one Snow !

i am sure it will make it, and we will toast a drink to it when it does ....

Good news for a change .....

the Ballybunion Sea & Cliff Resuce have finally launched their new website !
    It has resuce news, weather & tide info, and a web-camera onto the Ladies beach. There are lots of photos and a newsletter to sign up to.
    There is also a facility to donate online ;-)

please check it out (and search for it (Ballybunion Sea and Cliff Rescue) thru google to push it up the ranks....thanks).

Constructive critisisms welcome (pls send to Public Relations on the 'email us' tab)

www.BallybunionRescue.com

bscrlogosmall.jpg

I've been watching The Quiet Man all my life, and it's a tradition of mine to watch it on St. Patrick's Day.

So I'm watching it yesterday and for the first time I hear this line of dialogue in a way I've never heard it before;
    Ah, don´t be sending the poor man to Knockanore. Sure, the fishing is finished there entirely.

And I thought to myself, "Of course the the fishing is finished there entirely. It's a hill!"

There's even a line in the short story that goes "I am Shawn Kelvin, of Knockanore Hill."

So now I'm wondering if the line of dialogue from the movie is some sort of inside joke for people who are in the know.

The Angling & Marine Show 2012 has just set up in the carpark of the Tintean Theatre. Looks like it will be a good one. I will get photos and info later ...

Did I hear someone on Radio Kerry say that the Kerrywide Programme will originate in Ballybunion sometime soon?

Ballybunion ranked 63rd best place to live in Ireland
    and 7th best place to live in Kerry.

http://www.likeplace.ie/all/bestinireland.php?schools=0&facilities=0&cost=0&overall=0&economy=0&community=0&laworder=0&environment=0&state=All+of+Ireland&submit.x=50&submit.y=12&submit=Submit+your+rating+and/or+comment

Tralee ranked 143
    Listowel ranked 112
    Killorglin - 103
    Ballybunion - 63
    Killarney - 51
    Kenmare - 14
    Ballynabloun - 10
    Valentia Island - 8

and the top 5 are:

Skull, Cork - 5
    Dingle, Kerry - 4
    Portmagee, Kerry - 3
    Blackrock, Louth - 2
    Carlingford, Louth - 1

Clinton to talk about his statue in Ballybunion on American TV (on May 7 on The Golf Channel.)
    Former president and notorious golf cheat Bill Clinton will appear on the Golf Channel this May. Clinton was interviewed in Tampa Bay by David Feherty last month for an episode of Feherty’s self-titled late-night talk show, which airs May 7.

Clinton, who recently said that “one of my great dreams in life is to do an interview with Feherty,” spoke to the host about “his love for golf, the pressures of the presidency, his recent philanthropic efforts with former President George H.W. Bush, and the bronze statue of himself at the famous Ballybunion,” according to a press release. Notably missing from the release: any discussion of Clinton’s dubious history of fudging on the golf course.

The entire article here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

The Ballybunion beach webcam is up and running.

Advertisement