Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Puppy spay dilemma

• 28-10-2014 4:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭

Okay, so we adopted our bitch from a well-known rescue 6 weeks ago. They took us around their puppy wing, as none of the adult dogs they had at the time suited our requirements, and we just fell in love with Nyssa right away. It was the next day when we filled out their forms with them, and became aware that they have a requirement that their dogs must be neutered at six months.

That didn't sit well with me, and I tried to argue with them, that best practice nowadays suggests later neutering is preferable, but they stopped me right there, basically insisting that they cannot trust adopters to be having sexually mature dogs, and not further exacerbate the problem of too many unwanted dogs around the country. I can see their point, as far as it goes, but clearly I would not be letting her loose in season, and am now really cut up by the idea that either her health or temperament could be ruined by too early neutering.

Yes, I can see you all thinking, well then I shouldn't have adopted from this rescue! Perhaps you're right. But now I have, and am caught in the dilemma. Her spay is booked in their centre in December, but it does say on there to please let them know if that doesn't suit, so they can book another dog in for the appointment.

So should I just cancel, and field calls from them for the next few months, assuring them I will be doing it soon, and that no, Nyssa has not been in a situation where she could get impregnated? Should I try to get my own vet to basically perjure himself, and pretend to them that he has done it? Or should I just suck it up, get her done in December, and hope for the best?

Obviously I do feel really stupid now. I told myself at the time that it would be ok. Lola was done early, but then, she did end up a somewhat nervous dog in certain ways. My aunt assures me her wonderful dog was done at 6 months too, but then she is quite small, and these things tend to be more so with bigger dogs. I just really do want to do the best for Nyssa, but am not terribly keen on breaking a promise, or ticking off the rescue either.

Any advice very much appreciated :o

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Hi ferretone,
    I've edited your post to remove reference to the rescue, as per the charter.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ferretone

Oops, sorry :o Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

ferretone wrote: »
    Okay, so we adopted our bitch from a well-known rescue 6 weeks ago. They took us around their puppy wing, as none of the adult dogs they had at the time suited our requirements, and we just fell in love with Nyssa right away. It was the next day when we filled out their forms with them, and became aware that they have a requirement that their dogs must be neutered at six months.

That didn't sit well with me, and I tried to argue with them, that best practice nowadays suggests later neutering is preferable, but they stopped me right there, basically insisting that they cannot trust adopters to be having sexually mature dogs, and not further exacerbate the problem of too many unwanted dogs around the country. I can see their point, as far as it goes, but clearly I would not be letting her loose in season, and am now really cut up by the idea that either her health or temperament could be ruined by too early neutering.

Yes, I can see you all thinking, well then I shouldn't have adopted from this rescue! Perhaps you're right. But now I have, and am caught in the dilemma. Her spay is booked in their centre in December, but it does say on there to please let them know if that doesn't suit, so they can book another dog in for the appointment.

So should I just cancel, and field calls from them for the next few months, assuring them I will be doing it soon, and that no, Nyssa has not been in a situation where she could get impregnated? Should I try to get my own vet to basically perjure himself, and pretend to them that he has done it? Or should I just suck it up, get her done in December, and hope for the best?

Obviously I do feel really stupid now. I told myself at the time that it would be ok. Lola was done early, but then, she did end up a somewhat nervous dog in certain ways. My aunt assures me her wonderful dog was done at 6 months too, but then she is quite small, and these things tend to be more so with bigger dogs. I just really do want to do the best for Nyssa, but am not terribly keen on breaking a promise, or ticking off the rescue either.

Any advice very much appreciated :o

The vet was only telling my dad that bigger dogs should not be speyed at 6 months. I don't know anything about it tbh. My 2 girls were done at 6 months, they are rescues too but that was 6 and 7 years ago.

I can see where the rescue are coming from as they are afraid that there could be an accident. I don't foster anymore but I would still say they all go by the same rules with regard to neutering.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭tk123

You could..
    1 - tell them the truth - that you're waiting to minimise health/behavioural issues further down the line
    2 - tell them you'll be taking her to your own vet because it's more convenient/you'd prefer your own trusted vet to carry out the procedure. I know somebody who adopted from the same rescue (well I'm assuming it's the same rescue :p) who went to our vets as it's closer to them and they trusted the vet there more. I myself cancelled Lucy's keyhole spay at a different vet 50 mins away when I decided I wanted it to be done by my vet for the same reasons - she's going in on Friday and is 17 months now having had her first heat at 13 months.
    3 - lie and call them up a couple of weeks before the appointment saying she's already gone into heat meaning she won't be able to get spayed for a few months - although some vets will spay 4 weeks after a heat (my vet wanted to wait 3 months)

What are they going to do about it at the end of the day anyways?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

If it is something you do plan on doing and are leaving it for a more appropriate time with regards to Nyssa's health, why not book the procedure with your own vet at a date that agrees with her age, and then have that vet release that information to the rescue in question as a show of faith.

Granted you could just not show up for it, but then again you could do the same with them so it matters not either way. Showing them that it is booked, maybe even with a small deposit, might indicate that you have strong reasons for waiting, but still understand the necessity of getting it done.

As you said though, you can see where they are coming from. All too often someone walks in to adopt a pup and insist that they will make sure he/she doesn't get loose and there will never be a pregnancy and even go so far as to say they have plenty of experience with bitches.
    And all too often they turn back into rescue barely a year old with their litter of puppies in tow :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

tk123 wrote: »

What are they going to do about it at the end of the day anyways?

At the end of the day the OP signed a contract with this rescue which they will be in breach of. If its the rescue that I'm thinking of then they do have the resources to pursue this unlike the smaller ones.

I'm not going into right or wrongs but that's the long and short of it so I would read the fine print and then decide what you are going to do.

Having said that if a potential adopter was making noise about a policy when they were about to adopt a pup from me I'm not sure it would go through so perhaps the fact that they overlooked this means they won't be that bothered. Who knows?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

A friend of mine got a rottie x gsd pup from a certain well known rescue as well, apparently he was neutered at 8 weeks old... a bunch of us were quite shocked when we heard.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I understand where they are coming from - I'm sure you do too. I wouldn't give me own mother an un-neutered puppy or kitten! They don't know you from Adam to see how responsible you are.

I have been reading all the evidence for and against paediatric neutering, and still fall within the spay-early camp, apart from the giant breeds. The recovery is so much faster and I don't want a dog that will end up needing mammary strips in years to come so I'll always opt to spay before the first heat. So far I don't think the evidence against early spay/neuter is irrefutable. Actually it's funny how this issue never comes up in relation to cats? All our gang are neutered at 11 or 12 weeks so long as they are in perfect health.

I'm not being helpful, am I. I think if you love this puppy, don't get hung up on the spay date. I know you had an experience in the past where nervousness might have been linked to spaying, but in that instance the age of spaying is not relevant, AFAIK.

This is why I'll always adopt from rescues too, so that I don't have these quandaries! How old is Nyssa? To be honest I'm amazed they are rehoming an un-spayed pup at all.

boomerang wrote: »
    How old is Nyssa? To be honest I'm amazed they are rehoming an un-spayed pup at all.

Every rescue I have ever dealt with will rehome an un-neutered puppy, either with a spay voucher, a contracted promise to neuter at 6 months, or even both. Rescues would have died out long, long ago if they kept all the unwanted puppies until they were old enough to be neutered :o

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Every rescue I have ever dealt with will rehome an un-neutered puppy, either with a spay voucher, a contracted promise to neuter at 6 months, or even both. Rescues would have died out long, long ago if they kept all the unwanted puppies until they were old enough to be neutered :o

Our local rescue neuters puppies at 12-16wks, before rehoming.

Having been the person ringing up the adopters when it was time to neuter and finding them stalling or resistant, I fully endorse their policy!

• Advertisement

IActually it's funny how this issue never comes up in relation to cats? .

Maybe because they're all around the same size? :p My vet advised me to wait but I'd already made my decision anyway. She put it that a spay/neuter would affect growth plate closure - having been there with Bailey (surgically straightened legs) I wasn't going to go there again. There's loads of evidence to wait for larger breeds for joint issue prevention, bone cancer, cruciate injuries etc. I was going to spay Lucy early until I did my research and waited

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

tk123 wrote: »
    There's loads of evidence to wait for larger breeds for joint issue prevention, bone cancer, cruciate injuries etc.

What do they consider to be larger breed. I'm currently debating whether to spay Elly just yet as well. She's a collie cross, who's currently around 5mths and weights 8.5kg

Yes but so far all we have are nearly all atomised, small-scale studies.

My collie was spayed at ten months, because she didn't come into rescue until eight or nine months.
    She later ruptured a cruciate ligament when she was six and sadly, at just nine years old, haemangiosarcoma took her life. :(

Do I think either condition relates back to being spayed at ten months, or do I wish she hadn't been spayed at all? No.

angeldaisy wrote: »
    What do they consider to be larger breed. I'm currently debating whether to spay Elly just yet as well. She's a collie cross, who's currently around 5mths and weights 8.5kg

All I've read are retriever based studies - sorry! Maybe have a look on collie specific forums and see if there's any advise there.

Our local rescue neuters puppies at 12-16wks, before rehoming.

Having been the person ringing up the adopters when it was time to neuter and finding them stalling or resistant, I fully endorse their policy!

Oh I fully agree on insisting to be neutered. Opie is heading to the vet next week for his booster and microchip and we will be booking the neuter there. I honestly would have thought that 12 weeks (what Opie is now) was way too young and my vet wouldn't do it before 6 months. He's a collie so not a giant by any means!

Most Irish vets are still hanging on to the six month rule, not because they feel neutering earlier would be deliterious to the dog's health, but because six months is what they heard from the vets they worked with when they started out in practice! And young vets are hearing this from their employers too. What it goes back to, I'm not sure. A time when anaesthetics were not as safe as they are now? The myth that bitches/queens should have a litter before neutering? I dunno.

The whole area of paediatric neutering/when to neuter doesn't really come up in current Irish veterinary literature, or at Irish vet conferences, which is why Irish vets have been slower to change than others.

I know of an oldskool vet who won't neuter a male unless it's for health reasons and won't spay unless the dog has had at least one litter! This would be in a "poorer" area of Dublin where from what I witness driving to and from work every day owners are lax at best!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

I've had dogs spayed at 6 months small dog and a large breed and they were fine recovered quite quickly afterwards. Another I adopted at age 2 (pom) and she was done and took alot longer for her to get over it. I had another dog go into heat quite early before she was done and it was not something I would choose to put a dog through again she was just miserable and so swollen.

I had another dog go into heat quite early before she was done and it was not something I would choose to put a dog through again she was just miserable and so swollen.

It's 2-3 weeks of hassle at the end of the day - anyone who's ever had a dog on crate rest would be happy to make that small sacrifice if it means minimising the risk of injuries down the line.

Oh, ye all are making this very complicated, with ye're different opinions and all :p

Boomerang, you almost have me swayed in favour of sucking it up and going along with the policy I agreed to: I know she will recover quickly and everything, she is definitely a tough, all-weather, take-things-in-her-stride sort of pup anyway.

She is just as definitely not planning to be a small dog either though. She is 5 months old and just over 16 kgs. Not a giant by any means, but I'd say planning to be in the 25-30 kg range. As for breed, her mother was definitely a GSD cross. Father unknown, but it sure looks like there is both collie and husky in her as well.

So definitely going to be a highly active person, and I do not want to be courting difficulties with bone growth etc, if that would be a risk. I will go research whether there is any suggestion of such findings for the breeds concerned, which would of course give rise to a lot more pondering, for which I have almost another 2 months pondering time, as her neuter date is fairly late in December.

I'm really leaning towards going ahead with it now, though. The 1 thing I most definitely do not want is to have her seized from me for breach of contract by said rescue, as Toulouse seems to be suggesting could be possible! :eek:

Edited to add: To answer the question, Boomerang, she was 15 weeks when we adopted her, and this rescue does routinely give out pups at around 10-12 weeks, always with the same contract, and date ready-booked with their own vet to have the spay done.

And I do know, both from trying to discuss it with them at the time, and from somebody else's very recent experience with this rescue, over a completely different issue, that they are not going to be amenable to any sort of discussion, or "indications of good will" regarding this issue. Their policies are their policies, end of discussion.

They are a good rescue in so many ways, but I know I'll never be going back to them again. I can now see so much better the virtues of smaller rescues, the best ones at least. In that there can be flexibility, and some consideration of differences between people. These guys just judge everybody and every situation by such rigid rules, and there are a variety of different things they do get wrong, just by forcing themselves to do that.

• Advertisement

I am really considering cancelling their appointment, and telling them I am having it done with my own vet though. I believe you are allowed to do that at least. And then I would get it done at least a couple of months later anyway. I'd honestly prefer to let her have just one heat, but I don't think I'd dare to do that, unless of course it comes early (all the better as far as I'd be concerned :P Then we'd be pretty much avoiding all the risks I'm worrying about.)

Nothing set in stone yet, but I am really hoping I can get away with getting her waiting just a bit longer. I know where you're coming from, Boomerang, but there do seem to risks involved with paediatric neutering, particularly in larger dogs: you say yourself you are happy that they are substantiated enough in giant breeds, and just because we don't have enough eveidence yet when they are a size or 2 smaller, I'd rather not run the gauntlet closer than I can avoid; could be the evidence will stack up a bit better in that size group a few years down the line, and then it would be too late for us.

And yes, I really do love this pup. She is such an important part of our family already, and that is why I am trying hard to do the best for her that I can. She gets good quality, fresh food, I am taking her to a training class, and involving her in everything I do. I just would rather have her spayed even a bit later than this rescue wants it done, as I am worried about the consequences that may happen, and be so utterly preventable, otherwise. Just I definitely don't think the best thing for her would be removed back into the rescue kennels for the devil knows how long, just because we are trying to do the best thing for her.

As I say, I will be wrangling this issue in my head for a few weeks yet, I reckon!

ferretone wrote: »
    As for breed, her mother was definitely a GSD cross. Father unknown, but it sure looks like there is both collie and husky in her as well.

OMG ferretone, she sounds DIVINE! Where are the photos? :D

I find with the rescues that don't homecheck, they tend to be a lot more inflexible on things like the adoption fee for example, because their policies are the only thing they have to go on in judging whether or not they'll home a dog (or cat) with you. Does that make sense?

My collie x GSD was spayed at six months. Never had any ortho issues at all. :)

This rescue sure as damn does home-check :) It's just so darned big, and old (though not so very long in this country), and well-established, that their policies and procedures seem to loom larger in their minds than the actual dogs or especially people in some particulars. And sometimes because of that, the very best for everyone concerned seems to me to get a little lost in the middle of all that.

There is one pic of Nyssa in the Chillout Zone here, but you're right, I do seriously have to get the finger out and get some more organised. I'm starting to think I will really have to get a smartphone soon, as things have been so complicated lately that it's hard to get around to things with the good camera, and both our ancient phones are pretty rubbish from that point of view! You're also right that she is blooming gorgeous, such a real dog-dog, like what a 6-year-old would draw for a picture of a dog if their family didn't have some particular breed of one at home :P

Well just to update on Lucy.. She was spayed on the 31st and stitches coming out today. It was fine! Having her that bit older made it easier - she's well trained and very relaxed at this stage so happy to mooch around on short walks and then come home and relax. She didn't show any interest in the stitches - any time she went to groom herself I told her not to and she stopped straight away so no worries there. I had a tshirt on her in the house and old used the inflatable collar at night to be safe but apart from that you wouldn't have known she had anything done. Her xrays came back perfect too btw - I didn't think there'd be a problem with her hips since her parent's scores so were nice and low but wanted to get them done anyways to have for reference if we need them in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭bluejelly

It always is a difficult decision to make, I have had 2 labs neutered, 1 at about 10 months and the 2nd at 7 months (done sooner than planned for a specific reason). My lab neutered at 7 months is an anxious dog though so I am very keen to hear more about the link between neutering early and nervousness. I never heard of this before and am gob smacked having read some of these posts! if anyone can point me in a good direction I would be very grateful. I have a 3rd lab pup who is 5 months old now so I need to start researching the topic again.

I think I'm gonna cancel that appointment, and tell them that I will be doing it locally, which of course I will. I'm very keen to wait until she is a year old at least. I think I'd probably be happy enough to do it then. But she is an excitement pee-er, and can be a little anxious around new people, and especially around small children. I just feel that in 6 weeks, when that appointment comes up, there is no way this pup is going to be mature enough for it be a good idea.

And judging by the number of young dogs that bounce back into this particular rescue, I really doubt they will be all that keen to seize one who is happily settled in a good home, especially as I very much do intend to spay, just a bit later than they stipulate, and it is pretty unlikely that this one will come into season before a year.

bluejelly wrote: »
    It always is a difficult decision to make, I have had 2 labs neutered, 1 at about 10 months and the 2nd at 7 months (done sooner than planned for a specific reason). My lab neutered at 7 months is an anxious dog though so I am very keen to hear more about the link between neutering early and nervousness. I never heard of this before and am gob smacked having read some of these posts! if anyone can point me in a good direction I would be very grateful. I have a 3rd lab pup who is 5 months old now so I need to start researching the topic again.

I'm not so sure the early neutering link with nervousness is established in females, but it is in males. I may stand corrected on that, but off the top of my head, I think that's it!
    There is old enough research to suggest that neutering can make bitches more aggressive, particularly if they were showing signs of aggression prior to spaying, and particularly if neutered under a year old. These research papers refer to it as "dominance aggression", which was all the rage as a label in those days, but nowadays "dominance aggression" is more accurately described as fearful aggression, resource guarding, or conflict aggression, none of which is related to any perceived status within a social hierarchy, as was believed when the research was done.
    Now, there's no pint in me linking you to research papers only to read abstracts, but here's a paper that gathers the research up to 2003 together into one (a meta-analysis):
    http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1080/01652176.2003.9695145

Here's a more recent paper, but abstract-only, and again still referring to dominance aggression!
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1748-5827.1990.tb00701.x/abstract

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S109002330500064X
    (very small sample size!)

To save having to read through too many abstracts, a quick summary of more recent research includes that owner-directed aggression and resource-guarding is highest in neutered male dogs, followed by spayed female dogs, followed by intact males, with the least likely to direct aggression to owners are intact females.
    The research that shows increased aggression in spayed females suggest that (but have not yet proven) that aggression increases due to decreased oestrogen and oxytocin. There is also a suggestion that bitches neutered early are more likely to become noise-sensitive/phobic, and to develop separation anxiety.

One for tk123, actually for anyone with a larger breed dog, some recent research on the effects of neutering in Golden Retrievers
    http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0055937#pone-0055937-g002

DBB wrote: »
    I'm not so sure the early neutering link with nervousness is established in females, but it is in males. I may stand corrected on that, but off the top of my head, I think that's it!
    There is old enough research to suggest that neutering can make bitches more aggressive, particularly if they were showing signs of aggression prior to spaying, and particularly if neutered under a year old. These research papers refer to it as "dominance aggression", which was all the rage as a label in those days, but nowadays "dominance aggression" is more accurately described as fearful aggression, resource guarding, or conflict aggression, none of which is related to any perceived status within a social hierarchy, as was believed when the research was done.
    Now, there's no pint in me linking you to research papers only to read abstracts, but here's a paper that gathers the research up to 2003 together into one (a meta-analysis):
    http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1080/01652176.2003.9695145

Here's a more recent paper, but abstract-only, and again still referring to dominance aggression!
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1748-5827.1990.tb00701.x/abstract

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S109002330500064X
    (very small sample size!)

To save having to read through too many abstracts, a quick summary of more recent research includes that owner-directed aggression and resource-guarding is highest in neutered male dogs, followed by spayed female dogs, followed by intact males, with the least likely to direct aggression to owners are intact females.
    The research that shows increased aggression in spayed females suggest that (but have not yet proven) that aggression increases due to decreased oestrogen and oxytocin. There is also a suggestion that bitches neutered early are more likely to become noise-sensitive/phobic, and to develop separation anxiety.

One for tk123, actually for anyone with a larger breed dog, some recent research on the effects of neutering in Golden Retrievers
    http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0055937#pone-0055937-g002

Thank you so much for all these info/links! I am standing by my feeling that she simply will not be mature enough, and that neutering at a year will be a better idea for her.

And I am already slowly dealing with separation anxiety anyway. She really is not all that happy with leaving my side as yet, and I am still sleeping downstairs, as we aren't ready by any means for 8 hours, or even 4, of not being able to see me. So making that likely to get worse sounds like a monumentally bad idea to me.

Also, I can see she still has quite a lot of growing to do, so even if I don't know for sure that she has breeding in her that will cause issues with spaying before growth plates close, I just am not willing to take that risk either. I feel strongly that waiting until she's a year old is the best idea for her, and am not happy to live with the potential regret if I don't.

Thank you for all your input, everybody, oh and TK, so glad it has all worked so well for you with Lucy!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭bluejelly

Thanks DBB. She has never shown any signs of owner directed aggression or resource guarding, quite the opposite. She is quite a timid dog but very friendly also (in a timid way)although since her best friend died back in June she has shown signs of fearful aggression towards small dogs............has always been afraid of them but always kept her distance. Now she barks & dances around a bit . I'm working on trying to keep her relaxed in these instances. She was a very confident pup so I don't know what changed for her. When I read the posts about nervousness & neutering young I thought it might be worth digging a bit deeper.

• Advertisement

I *think* the thinking behind not neutering a nervous dog stems from the fact that testosterone improves confidence, so obviously if you neuter such a dog you're taking away a potentially important ingredient that could help him.
    Which only applies to males, for obvious reasons!

Advertisement