Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best cable for laptop to amp?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,292 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

NinjaK wrote: »
    Well I got the lead today in maplin http://www.maplin.co.uk/digital-audio-optical-lead-44245 It came with 2 converters and it doesnt work, getting no sound from it. I tried alot of different combinations and nothing, so unless one of ye can solve the problem by tomorrow its going back.

There's not much that go wrong with an optical cable so bringing it back would be the last thing I'd be planning on doing.

The SPDIF output port may not be enabled in Device Manager, digital output may not be enabled in the Audio device drivers, you may not have selected the right audio source on the amp. Maybe the analog port needs to be empty (no headphone jack) in order for audio to be output in digital format from the SPDIF port.

'It must be the cable' smacks of impatience, keep at it man!

It's far too early to be talking about returning the cable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

Finally sorted it out, it was in the settings on the laptop. Sounds great! Cheers lads for the help.

Do you notice a big difference between the quality from the digital connection vs. the headphone jack to phono left and right connections?

not a huge difference but it does sound better

NinjaK wrote: »
    not a huge difference but it does sound better

Are you sure that's not the placebo effect - it should sound better so it does!

The audiophiles will be disappointed that you weren't blown away by the difference....
    ZENER wrote: »
    Personally I find audio outputs on computers to be very wooly at the bass end with poor definition on the high end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

coylemj wrote: »
    Are you sure that's not the placebo effect - it should sound better so it does!

The audiophiles will be disappointed that you weren't blown away by the difference....

Hmmm . . . so you've stereotyped (pardon the pun ;) ) me as an audiophile then ? Interesting conclusion but the fact is I have a technical background having trained in audio/video equipment in Kevin Street for 4 years and have worked in this area for the past 15 years.

I place no credence in the "spend more get better" syndrome. I don't condone fancy cables or high cost inter-connects. I do however understand distortion, SNR and the effects noise has on analogue signals. Most people (no offense meant) don't understand or hear these artifacts but when they are offered a comparison in real life they do actually recognise the difference. They most likely don't fully understand why but they are able to discern a difference that they can quantify. So by belittling my comment and the opinion of the OP you don't gain anything creditability wise.

Someone else mentioned the shortcomings of laptop audio systems (moving windows about onscreen causes audible affects in the audio output), this is common with high density circuit boards such as those found in laptops, noise and distortion can and do happen !

Anyway, the point is that the OP now has a digital connection to his amplifier which - in theory - should be superior to the headphone output and all its shortcomings - mismatched impedance, High SNR, poor THD and poor frequency range. All technical terms, measurable and quantifiable in real numbers unlike much of the audiophile mumbojumbo one hears ;)

Ken

My surround sound is an expensive Acoustic Energy surround sound system and is very good sound quality for bluray and music off ps3, ive got an Onkyo amp so its a good setup. Ive been a dj for a few years previous, not now though, so I know a bit about sound quality.
    I havent really listened to it much yet, only a few tracks but it did sound very good, not that the old cable didnt sound good aswell.

ZENER wrote: »
    I don't condone fancy cables or high cost inter-connects.

Ken, for that statement alone I will forgive you for all the jargon.

Advertisement