Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi milk

• 22-05-2012 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Has anyone had issues around the freshness of Aldi milk.

The last few weeks, I have noticed that the slimline and full fat milk are not lasting until the use by date (not even close) as has a friend of mine that also shops in Aldi. It has only been an issue in the last few weeks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

havent noticed, but it could be your store's fridge being too warm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    havent noticed, but it could be your store's fridge being too warm.
    Is your fridge working properly? does the door close over fully or does it stop short of closing if it is not intentially shut?

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭locustfurnace

I shop in both Aldi and Lidl and never had a issue with the milk lasting and I'm the only one in the house who drinks milk so it lasts a while and never noticed it going off or lack of freshness and often would be a day or two after use by date.

On another note I noticed the Lidl bread doesn't last till the date on packs and goes mouldy quickly :( unlike other shops...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I shop in both Aldi and Lidl and never had a issue with the milk lasting and I'm the only one in the house who drinks milk so it lasts a while and never noticed it going off or lack of freshness and often would be a day or two after use by date.

On another note I noticed the Lidl bread doesn't last till the date on packs and goes mouldy quickly :( unlike other shops...

the warm weather we've been having effects the bread
    but its a plus in my book as it shows there are less preservatives in lidl bread.:D
    just keep it in the fridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Food & Drink

dudara

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

but its a plus in my book as it shows there are less preservatives in lidl bread.:D
    +1

Those preservatives are nasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭castlewhite

Yes, we had the same problem a couple of weeks with their "super" milk. not lasting till best before date. We switched back to Avonmore

• Registered Users Posts: 5 athlonian

Our fridge is working fine. A friend of mine has had the same experience and she shops in the same town as me so it could be the aldi store here... anyway, not going to buy the milk there anymore! Have to add it to the dunnes/tesco list of things I can't get in aldi/

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭yellowtrout

I have the same problem and thought it was just me.
    I get mine from Aldi and I'll probably get about three days MAX out of the milk before it goes off.
    I bought a litre in Dunnes the other day and it's still fine.
    You're not alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,978 ✭✭✭✭celtic-chick

I've had the same problem for a while with the slimline & super milk.No problems with the fridge.I switched back to avonmore as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,292 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Thought it was just me! :) I've had a couple go off early recently - low fat and regular.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭lamoss

I think the problem lies in the way the milk is stored in aldi/lidl. It is stored in open type cages in a cold area which are not cool enough. Same for the cartons of milk above these units.
    I buy milk there a lot and normally dont have any problems but do get the odd one that goes off quick. I always try to get the ones with the longest due by date on the bottles. The way they operate is to shift all the oldest stock first before restocking, they let the old stock stay on the shelves untill the shelves are empty, then bring in all the new stock.If you drink lots of milkand go though the bottles in 2 or 3 days your ok but if you dont use as much and get near the use by date ,that is what the problem is.

A lot of other retailers store their milk in enclosed types of fridges or chillers which keep it fresher longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

athlonian wrote: »
    Our fridge is working fine. A friend of mine has had the same experience and she shops in the same town as me so it could be the aldi store here... anyway, not going to buy the milk there anymore! Have to add it to the dunnes/tesco list of things I can't get in aldi/

have had the same experience previously, stopped buying milk there, milk would only last until 2/3 days before expiry date before going lumply

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭robjones1981

I had the same problem with aldi milk three/four weeks ago
    was gone off 4 days before the date

• Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Koloman

Never had a problem with Aldi milk. Seems just the same as the more expensive milks. Might it be your own fridge?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Yeah same problem with Aldi slimline milk. I always rummage around and find the ones with the furthest off expiry date but twice in the last few weeks they have been gone off way before the expiry date.

Fridge is fine as it is only a problem with the Aldi milk. Switched to Lidl or Tesco milk and they are both fine.

Also in case anyone is on a diet and using slimline milk, the calories in Avonmore slimline milk are higher than other milk. And it is more expensive so we rarely buy it these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭giddybootz

Just moved and now I'm really close to an Aldi and thought our fridge was dodge! Bought Aldi slimline milk the last 3 weeks and it has gone off super fast each time!! Nothing else in our fridge is turning though so I was beginning to suspect the milk!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭El_Drago

I've had the exact same problem with Aldi's full fat milk as of late.I've had to throw out at least 4 cartons over the last number of weeks that were gone off 3/4 days before their best before date

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Nettekee

Same problem here, first ever litre of milk that I got in Aldi a few weeks ago tasted off the moment I opened it :(. Went back to Lidl / Tescos milk since.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Hey OP, if you are living in Athlone then get your milk in Dealz in Golden Island SC, it's 20c cheaper per 2l bottle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭MagicBusDriver1

It is the milk or their fridges.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭sallywin

We had the same issue with milk from Tesco lately which I can't remember happening before.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Caseywhale

athlonian wrote: »
    Has anyone had issues around the freshness of Aldi milk.

The last few weeks, I have noticed that the slimline and full fat milk are not lasting until the use by date (not even close) as has a friend of mine that also shops in Aldi. It has only been an issue in the last few weeks.

I have the same problem with Aldi milk. It lasts no more than about 3 days in the fridge. Had the same problem before with Golden Vale milk too.
    Any other milk lasts ok though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hmmm the ambient temp shoots up and milk goes off, wonder why?!

a) poor storage by either the shop or the consumer.

b) er see a.

As someone who used to deliver and merchandise fresh milk I can tell you that I've seen crates of milk sat in a summer sun in supermarket delivery yards, while I've also seen people throw a litre of milk on the back seat of a car and then go off to do something else.

Milk needs looking after.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,742 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Has anybody raised this issue with Aldi Customer Service &, if so, what have they had to say about the quality of their milk?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

Agree ! and thought I was alone... clearly not. I shop all the time in either Aldi or Lidl . Milk is about the only thing I dont buy there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Buy both Milks there weekly, never had an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Well it seems to be a problem then, i have to say we'd go through a 3l in 3days so maybe its not here long enough to go off. The dates in aldi are way better than the ones in tesco and other half will drink milk after use by date as long as it tastes fine.

If the store has an audit the milk is probed for temp so a word to aldi custome service could help.
    Agree with milk being stored outsode the fridges sometimes, especially if the store has an issue with wastage, the most recent dates are left out until the last minute and if there isnt enough room to store the new stock in the cold room, who knows what temp it gets up to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

mike65 wrote: »
    Hmmm the ambient temp shoots up and milk goes off, wonder why?!

a) poor storage by either the shop or the consumer.

b) er see a.

As someone who used to deliver and merchandise fresh milk I can tell you that I've seen crates of milk sat in a summer sun in supermarket delivery yards, while I've also seen people throw a litre of milk on the back seat of a car and then go off to do something else.

Milk needs looking after.

Not milk... Aldi milk. If you read the thread you would see plenty of ppl saying it is just a problem with Aldi milk whereas the likes of Tesco or Lidl milk usually lasts much longer.

Therefore the problem is with the Aldi milk and not the temperature. And it was Easter when this started happening to me so the temperature was hardly soaring!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

mike65 wrote: »
    I've also seen people throw a litre of milk on the back seat of a car and then go off to do something else.

Stalk much?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement