Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Denied a place at our local school - any recourse

• 04-02-2012 1:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi,
    My 4 yr old little girl has not been accepted @ our local school, she was due to start @ Schoil Bride in Naas in sept. We enroled her last year and forgot all about it taking for granted that there would be no problems as we live 5mins from the school. However, i recieved a letter today from the principle informing me of the bad news. I rang the principle immediately and she explained the selection process to me. I should add that 147 applications were made to the school and only 84 could be selected. Sibblings of existing pupils living in the catchment area get 1st preference, then the eldest children also from the catchment are selected next. The principle listened to my complaints but offered no real solution to the problem, bleaming education cuts, etc. She said that some people may not accept their places which will then be offered to the applicants next in line but wud not tell me where in that line my daughter was.
    I am very angry @ the moment and not quite sure how to proceed. I expect as a tax payer and a long time resident of Naas (all my life) to be able to send my child to our local school...

Can somebody let me know do I have any recourse in this situation or has anybody experienced a similar situation...

thanks
    Ronan J.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

If the school have followed their enrolement policy to the letter,then you do not have any recourse.

Being resident in an area is no promise of a school place.Are there many ahead of her on the waiting list?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

Unfortunately this is the situation for a lot of schools. As byhookorbycrook said, once they've stuck to their enrolment policy, then they haven't done anything wrong.

If you have a look at other threads on these boards you'll see it's a very common situation, some schools just get a huge number of applications for enrolment, with not enough places for every child.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 hallymusic

thanks for the responces -
    Are there many ahead of her on the waiting list?

The principle didn't disclose where she was on the list...

50 or so places were immediately taken by siblings of existing students only leaving 30 odd place left...
    Being resident in an area is no promise of a school place

This policy is unjust and unfair and this is my main gripe with the selection process, I believe the fact that I come from the town originally and specifically moved back to the area some yrs ago to be close to this school has to be considered...

How do I confirm that they have followed their selection process to the letter?

Is this an issue I can take up with my local TD...or am I waisting my time?

thanks for ur help
    Ronan J

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

hallymusic wrote: »
    This policy is unjust and unfair and this is my main gripe with the selection process, I believe the fact that I come from the town originally and specifically moved back to the area some yrs ago to be close to this school has to be considered...

thanks for ur help
    Ronan J

I'd imagine you could contact the school to ask about the selection process. Schools have to have selection criteria in their policy if they have more applicants than places, otherwise there would be mayhem. This particular school's criteria are pretty standard for most schools in this country, if you google 'enrolment/admission policy' you'll probably get the same for most results.

If there were only 30 places left and 97 applicants for those places, then the school couldn't keep everyone happy.

I can't see how a local TD could do anything about the situation, as you've said there were 147 applications for 84 places.

You can appeal the decision, but unless the school haven't followed their selection criteria, the selection will stand as it is.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

You can ask for a copy of their enrolement policy, but if they have followed it, no point in a t.d or whoever.

People have screamed for cuts in education and teacher numbers and sadly this kind of thing will be more common as cuts continue to be made.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭aisher

If your child is nearer to age 4 then age 5 then I can see why the school said no where they are oversubscribed - standard policy to allocate to the older child. You could take a Section 29 Appeal against the school but you have to show your child was discriminated against unfairly and that the school did not follow its enrolment policy. First thing is get a copy of their policy and decide if you were treated unfairly - you should appeal within 42 days of having being told no place for your child. Just because they said no is not grounds for an appeal - if you want to win anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

hallymusic wrote: »
    The principle didn't disclose where she was on the list...
    Ask again. The principal should be able to tell you where she is on the list. If he/she doesn't then contact the Board of Management. If you cannot be told where you are on the list then how can they apply a list system?
    How is it unfair? Why should that be considered? The school has an enrolment policy and there will always be people disappointed but that does not make the policy unfair. My kids' school has no siblings policy which means that some parents may have to drop their kids to different schools. That's 'unfair' on them too.

Moving back to the area means nothing either - you would be treated the same as if you never lived there or if you lived there all your life (which is actually what you said in your OP). If sounds like, after certain criteria are fulfilled, the rest are first come first served. Once the policy is spelled out and followed precisely that's it and being from, or moving back to, the area is irrelevant.

thanks for ur help
    Ronan J

You can't confirm it - as in you can't prove a negative. Get a copy of their enrolment policy as mentioned before and read it. If you believe that they may have broken it you can always file a Section 29 appeal but it will only be upheld if by following their policy to the letter that your child would have received an offer of a place.

Advertisement