Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S II

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Where do I do that?

Why ICS important to upgrade to? Will it cause changes that I dont want?
    Thanks
    Well its supposed to be an improved version of android but it's been dodgy enough for me so far. If you are upgrading make sure you are in a wifi zone.

In gmail settings you will find an option there for notifications, make sure that is turned on. Also go into the sync settings in gmail and check that it is set to sync.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

The gmail settings seem ok. Notifications is on and inbox is synced for mail upto 4 days. It just seemed to stop working couple of days back. I wonder have google changed something to force us into something?

Working fine for me. But I mostly use Hotmail these days. Try deleting it and reinstall it again if you think that would work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ Maggie Glamorous Sharkskin

My phone finally died at midnight. So that's 40 hours on one charge with medium usage on LP7. Much, much better than LPQ.
    Will give it another few days to let the battery "settle".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I checked the gmail reviews on android market. It appears a recent gmail update has messed things up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

coldfire1x wrote: »
    Which ICS update did you use? I9100XWLP7?

Both are still there. Internet is there in the application. Just hit the application button, locate Internet in the apps, press and hold, it will allow you to place it on your home screen.

Silent mode button is there when you drag down notification area.

It's Android Version 4.0.3, updated from kies.

The internet has definitely gone from the app list. Is it available to download from the app store at all?

And the drag down menu has replaced silent mode with a mobile data toggle. I can still put it into silent mode through the settings menu, but it's a bit awkward and slow. Is there any shortcut?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Check if "Internet" has been renamed to "Browser". For your silent mode shorcut you can put a widget on desktop for it. Go to app drawer, select widgets at top, and browse through whats available.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Or download Google Chrome browser from the Play store

+1 for Google Chrome. The ICS browser is a right pain to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

No, it's not called browser either. I've decided to just go with Chrome. Does the job.

Another thing I've noticed is that the music player no longer has the songs in the right order for albums in, unless you access the album directly through the albums tab. Is this happening to anyone else?

I'm beginning to regret upgrading now. I'm seeing very few improvements, and a lot of things are running much slower or not working properly.

• Advertisement

• Am noticing a problem why i try to make calls since the upgrade. It says dialling and stays like that for about 30 seconds before connecting. The odd time it connects straight away.
    Anyone noticed this?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Am noticing a problem why i try to make calls since the upgrade. It says dialling and stays like that for about 30 seconds before connecting. The odd time it connects straight away.
    Anyone noticed this?

Nope, no issues that end and I only upgraded the other day. I found opening / reading text threads very slow so I deleted them and started a fresh - seems to have made a difference.

Gonna try Chrome. The new browser is ****e.

One thing I don't like is the keyboard icon that's now appearing on the top bar when the keyboard is in use. It was never there before the upgrade but is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Blisterman wrote: »
    It's Android Version 4.0.3, updated from kies.

The internet has definitely gone from the app list. Is it available to download from the app store at all?

And the drag down menu has replaced silent mode with a mobile data toggle. I can still put it into silent mode through the settings menu, but it's a bit awkward and slow. Is there any shortcut?

If you have updated from kies then its more likely the operator specific version of the firmware where they may have made these changes.

I did update via kies first but then just downloaded the latest Europe/ireland firmware from samfirmware (I9100XWLP7) and upgraded it via odin. Did a factory reset before the upgrade as well. Since then no problem at all, everything is there where they belong.

As suggested you can use Chrome and use a app to do silent mode or you can upgrade the software via odin again.

There a silent mode option when you press the power button and hold, there's another new restart option as well along with the shutdown option and couple more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

i'd love a smart phone but they are stupidly overpriced, my sister in law dropped her iPhone 4s into a bucket of water the other day...its destroyed... thats what you get for forking out 600 quid on a phone

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Google Chrome keeps asking me to check my sign in details for sync. But when I go to do so, it says I am logged in fine and is asking me to disconnect if I continue. I just disabled sync to get rid of the message. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

Nodferatu wrote: »
    i'd love a smart phone but they are stupidly overpriced, my sister in law dropped her iPhone 4s into a bucket of water the other day...its destroyed... thats what you get for forking out 600 quid on a phone

If you are on a billpay, a lot of cases you don't pay much for the phone... did you try the rice trick?

http://www.wikihow.com/Save-a-Wet-Cell-Phone

Another battery life update on LP7.

For this test, I installed hotmail, gmail and whatsapp before unplugging the charger. Surprisingly I was able to get 49 hours our of the battery. That was with more usage and above apps syncing. Very impressed, hopefully it'll stay that way!

If anyone is having any battery life issues on an earlier version of ICS, I recommend you give LP7 (UK) a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭thirtythirty

I updated mine to ICS the other day - first impressions, crap! Slower and buggier. I also think ICS on my Transformer is worse than Honeycomb too, but that's besides the point.

I have an annoying bug on my S2 now that after someone replies or sends me a text, their name doesn't show up in the notification bar or in the messaging app - does anyone else have this problem? It's seriously annoying.

Also, have they included a way to get rid of Vlingo in ICS? I can't find how to do it..

Maybe give this a try.
    ...Also, have they included a way to get rid of Vlingo in ICS? I can't find how to do it..

Sweet. What a rubbish app!

Anyone got any ideas on the contacts issue which is more pressing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Are all your numbers in +3538.... format?
    I think there was something about that in ICS... but I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Maybe give this a try.

I am using Apex launcher and the trick works in it as well.

BopNiblets wrote: »

Ye, sh1t! Does that mean I'm going to have to roll back to Gingerbread to use my phone properly?

ICS has been nothing but bugs from my experience

Ye, sh1t! Does that mean I'm going to have to roll back to Gingerbread to use my phone properly?

Same thing has happened me, my contacts are all fcuked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Probably not, but it might be doing a fresh install.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

480 euros. Woah.

Thought the price would have dropped a bit more since its been out for a while, and with the S III coming out very soon.

Still tempted to get the S II.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

480 euros. Woah.

Thought the price would have dropped a bit more since its been out for a while, and with the S III coming out very soon.

I would have thought the same but it just hasn't, only dropped a very small bit in the last 6 months. The Galaxy Nexus is actually cheaper at this stage, despite being much newer. The S2 is still a more rounded, specification wise, that is, phone though. There may be a bigger drop when the S3 is actually released still..

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭vicM

Just discovered you can invert the colours on the stock browser on ICS! Finally the browser isn't going to be sucking the battery dry..

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭vicM

Zonda999 wrote: »
    480 euros. Woah.

I would have thought the same but it just hasn't, only dropped a very small bit in the last 6 months. The Galaxy Nexus is actually cheaper at this stage, despite being much newer. The S2 is still a more rounded, specification wise, that is, phone though. There may be a bigger drop when the S3 is actually released still..

Actually surprised it still costs that much.I bought mine on launch day last year from Vodafone. Cost 480 and it was Sim free

• Advertisement

Based on testing I have done - it makes no difference. Its hit and miss on the phone I see the fault with - some contacts display with it and some display without it.

Google said they were aware and it was fixed in 4.0.3 (two days ago). That's now under question as those with that software say its still not working.

Advertisement