Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foundation for oily skin

• 10-03-2011 11:30pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,422 ✭✭✭✭

Can anyone best advise me regarding the above?

My skin is terribly oily. I mean, seriously. I'm trying everything I can- my current regime is washing with Vichy Normaderm Deep Cleansing Gel, then Clarins Pore Minimizing Serum, Clarins Ultra-Matte Rebalancing lotion, then Beauty Flash Balm as a base to Clarins Everlasting foundation, set finally with Clarins Loose Powder but still after about 4 or 5 hours my face slides away. I have blotting sheets which I try to use as often as I can but a certain amount of make up comes away on them with frequent use. I have tried other primers, particularly Smashbox Photo Finish. The original one gives the most amazing silky base but I feel it allows the make-up to slide even more, so I've tried the oil-free version and the finish wasn't as smooth. The reason I'm using primers at all is because I have such open pores, so I need something to fill the gaps as such. If I don't use something, foundation just tends to seep into my pores, leading to blackheads.

To be fair, the Normaderm and Clarins lotions have made a massive improvement to the general "look" of my skin, the pores aren't as visible as they used to be and I have less blackheads/breakouts but I wish someone had told me about these products 10 years ago :(

Anyhow, I love the coverage/colour match and consistency of the Clarins Everlasting Foundation, but it's claim to last 15 hours is laughable. I got a generous sample of Lancome Silky Matte last Friday, so I tried it for five days. It lasts a little bit better than the Clarins but the colour wasn't great (and it was the best of what was on offer, I spent a long time looking), the coverage wasn't as good either.
    I was passing through BT today when Dior Airflash caught my eye, and the sales assistant did a demo for me (over my already applied make up). It looked pretty good, and I am one of the laziest feckers you'll ever meet so the idea of just spraying my foundation on seems too good to be true. I'm told it's for oily skin, but that could have been just the hard sell. Do any of you lovely ladies have any experience of it? At €47 a pop I'm reluctant to shell out only to find it's not all I thought it would be. Should I go back on Saturday without makeup on to see how it goes on bare skin?

Can anyone recommend a good foundation for oily skin, that'll last more than 5 hours and won't clog pores?

Thanks in advance ya'll :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 abi sant clare

revlon colorstay is brillant for oily skin, make sure its colorstay and not photofinish. it comes in two types 1) oily 2) dry. mac studio fix is very good too but revlon lasts longer on me, i set it with the revlon colorstay powder aswell, makes an awful difference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Bobbi Brown Natural Matte Finish - the best foundation I have ever used!

I used to have extremely oily skin and this was the only foundation that never wore off me tbh.

I was lucky and got mine as a present (my sister works for Bobbi Brown:D) but I think it's about €40 in BT, not cheap, but it's worth the money.

Another good one is the Clinique anti-blemish, but I found, it wore off my chin (the most oily area of my face).

Clarins Truly Matte is good as well, I only used a sample of it for a day or two ages ago so can't really remember how long it lasted, but I was very impressed with it.

Estee Lauder Double Wear again is good, but like Clarins Truly Matt, I only used a sample for a few days and can't really remember what it was like. Again, I was impressed with it.

I've heard the following are meant to be good, but I've never tried them myself so can't say for sure:

Diorskin Forever
    Diorskin Sculpt
    Diorskin Nude®
    Giorgio Armani Lasting Silk UV foundation SPF 20
    Giorgio Armani Luminous silk foundation
    Bare Escentuals (ELF do a cheap version of this :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

Normaderm are doing a foundation now, it stays quite matt but I found the colours to be very dark.

• Subscribers Posts: 342 ✭✭NicsM

I find either Estee Lauder Double Wear or Double Wear Light followed by MAC Studio Fix powder foundation lasts pretty well-my skin is incredibly oily but I can get 6 hours before I need to retouch using the Studio Fix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

Can i ask.....when you apply your foundation do you set it with a translucent powder after?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ladysarastro

I use both Revlon Colourstay and Estee Lauder Double Wear and I barely notice a difference between them. They both last ages on my oily skin. I start off with a primer (the Urban Decay Complexion Perfection or even Penneys one that looks like bad girl) leave it for 5 mins then put on the foundation and then always finish off with a light powdering with a translucent loose powder. The rimmel one is pretty good. I carry around Macs blot powder for during the day but only really need it once around 4 or 5 pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

tan11ie wrote: »
    Can i ask.....when you apply your foundation do you set it with a translucent powder after?
    I set my foundation with a translucent powder. I use M.A.C Blot Powder.

Today I was in town and had a foundation fitting and the girl used the Lancôme Teint Idole foundation and it was fab! Gave great coverage, lasted (I had mine on for about 3-5 hours) and felt very lights on my face.

She gave me a sample of it to use for a few days so after I finish using it, I'll come back here and let you know how it is etc.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,422 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Kablamo! wrote: »
    Normaderm are doing a foundation now, it stays quite matt but I found the colours to be very dark.

That's a pity, I'd love to try it but I'm naturally quite fair and don't "do" tan very often so it'd be wasted on me. Thanks for the heads up though

tan11ie wrote: »

I use Clarins loose powder in shade 00 translucent
    Today I was in town and had a foundation fitting and the girl used the Lancôme Teint Idole foundation and it was fab! Gave great coverage, lasted (I had mine on for about 3-5 hours) and felt very lights on my face.

She gave me a sample of it to use for a few days so after I finish using it, I'll come back here and let you know how it is etc.

I have samples of Teint Idole from last week's excursion to the lancome counter, must try them over the weekend and see if they're any better than the Silky Matte.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

To be fair, I was just being stroppy earlier. It requires careful blending and then the colour is fine, but I'm a slap it on and dash type girl. It looked good on me the few times I made an effort to apply it correctly.
    If you're constantly worried about being shiny it might be worth a look, or at least a cheeky attempt to get a free sample :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Hi OP if your skin is that oily are you moisturising enough? I used to be a bit the same but I moisturise it a lot now. I know it seems the last thing you want to do over oily skin but trust me on that one, it's vital.

I also found some moisturisers left me with more open pores than others. There was some yellow one (clarins maybe?? I dont remember) that was the worst for that, I stick with nivea now. I should add: it's nivea oil-free moisturiser. I have sensitive skin so a lot of the "matte" ones leave me a bit sore and red, but that one does the job the best.
    http://www.superdrug.com/content/ebiz/superdrug/invt/47928/47928_l.jpg

On the days you dont wear makeup you need to do this as well.
    Is there any chance you could wear makeup a bit less even one day less a week and give your skin a chance to breathe?

Other than that, on the rare occasion I wear makeup, it's: nivea moisturiser, smashbox primer, bobbi brown liquid foundation, maybelline powder
    Stays on very well

• Advertisement

Hi Bluewolf,

I used to skip the moisturiser back in the day, not realising that if my skin way dry it'd overproduce oil to compensate but I know better now.

I used the nivea oil free moistuisier for a while but found it too thin, just wasn't for me. Switched to an Olay one for blemish-prone skin then and was using it for a few years, seemed to be doing the trick but OMG the difference when I started using the Clarins is unbelievable! It's as if it was made for me!

I work in a sales-related role, and am considered a rep of the company and therefore I'm expected to be impeccably turned out every day at all times. Whenever I can though, I skip a day. I actually hate wearing make-up every day but it's a necessary evil. I'm on the road most days and it's difficult to touch up make-up properly in the car, the best I can manage is to blot.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 mavisoc

Hi OP,
    Do you really need the Beauty Flash Balm as a base/primer after your regular moisturiser? I would only ever use it if my skin felt really parched as it creates a very "dewy" look on my skin. It's quite a rich moisturiser when you combine it with a regular moisturiser. Just a thought :) I find the Smashbox photo-finish the best I must admit for creating a long lasting base.

For amazing coverage the Estee Lauder Double Wear is probably the best and lasts the longest for me. I tried the Dior spray foundation (my sister bought it), to be honest I thought it settled in my pores if you get me? Looked fab on her dry skin though. But maybe I didn't apply it right.

I'm completely won over by a Chanel foundation at the moment though - it's called "Mat Lumiere" - it gives such a lovely finish, not a chalky powdery finish like a lot of matte foundations. I combine this with the Chanel Primer which I find lovely but don't think it's as good as the Photofinish. I should add that I have very combination skin, so it can get quite dry on the cheeks but horribly oily on the T-Zone and I just find that this foundation really suits me. Too pricey for daytime wear though - so I wear a mineral powder foundation by Fuschia (www.fushcia.ie) every day which I find pretty good, but it does get shiny by lunchtime! So I'm usually reaching for the rice powder to keep things looking ok, seems to work, HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I use Mac Studio Fix, the first one that's worked at all for me (well, and is still on the market!). I use a powder over that. At the moment I have a Mac one but I had one before based on walnut shells! Can't remember the name right now but I found it good.

I use a La Roche Posay moisturiser, which is really good. Hydreane legere.

Nothing is spectacular though and my skin will win through eventually after a full day!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

Bare minerals.

Seriously. I was using it for a year or more thinking, wow my skin isn't so oily anymore, let me try something else for a change. back to oily skin. Switched back again no more problems. It actually IMPROVES YOUR SKIN.

There's a matt and a original version. the mineral veil is awesome on shine too and making skin appear flawless...

I understand its not everyones cup of tea but I find it amazing. my skin is so much better when I use it and non shiny.

mavisoc wrote: »
    Hi OP,
    Do you really need the Beauty Flash Balm as a base/primer after your regular moisturiser? I would only ever use it if my skin felt really parched as it creates a very "dewy" look on my skin. It's quite a rich moisturiser when you combine it with a regular moisturiser. Just a thought :) I find the Smashbox photo-finish the best I must admit for creating a long lasting base.

For amazing coverage the Estee Lauder Double Wear is probably the best and lasts the longest for me. I tried the Dior spray foundation (my sister bought it), to be honest I thought it settled in my pores if you get me? Looked fab on her dry skin though. But maybe I didn't apply it right.

I'm completely won over by a Chanel foundation at the moment though - it's called "Mat Lumiere" - it gives such a lovely finish, not a chalky powdery finish like a lot of matte foundations. I combine this with the Chanel Primer which I find lovely but don't think it's as good as the Photofinish. I should add that I have very combination skin, so it can get quite dry on the cheeks but horribly oily on the T-Zone and I just find that this foundation really suits me. Too pricey for daytime wear though - so I wear a mineral powder foundation by Fuschia (www.fushcia.ie) every day which I find pretty good, but it does get shiny by lunchtime! So I'm usually reaching for the rice powder to keep things looking ok, seems to work, HTH

I know exactly what you mean about settling in the pores, I hate that! Decided not to invest in the Airflash after all (bought some Dior perfume instead though-gorgeous!). The day I went into BTs without any make-up on, the girl decided to spray the make-up onto the brush and apply it to my skin that way, wasn't really that impressed with the overall effect.

I use Beauty Flash Balm most days but only the teeny tiniest little biteen of it because as you said it can leave you with a very "dewy" feel to the skin but of all the primer-type things I've tried, it seems the best. If I don't use something, my foundation just seems to melt away into my skin and after an hour or so you wouldn't think I'm even wearing any but that my face just looks grubby. The Clarins Smooth Perfecting Touch is really good too, but that little bit oilier than the flash balm so I tend not to bother with it.

I made a resolution to carry my blotting papers EVERYWHERE with me instead of just leaving them in the car and blotting while I have a spare minute in traffic or whatever and I have to say it has helped over the last week.

I've tried mineral foundations and just can't go for them. Maybe I'm not applying them properly (though I've followed the instructions and demos), they just seem to look like muck on my face.

Have also tried MAC, wasn't gone on it either, was really disappointed as it has such a brilliant reputation.

I've decided I'll stick with Clarins for another wee while anyway but I'm giving serious thought to that Chanel one, might go for an trial soon, thanks mavisoc :D

No bother at at all. My cousin actually gave it a serious road test - she admired my skin on a hen party last summer and got the details of the Chanel Foundation off me. So off she went when she got home and bought it. She's a nurse so was so excited about it she wore it on the night shift! Came home, collapsed into bed, woke up late that afternoon, decided to go for a run and when she came home she couldn't get over how nice her skin looked!! Realised then that she'd never washed off the foundation from the day before. Now her skin would be shiny-ish; but not too bad and she loves it.

I will second the post about the BareMinerals foundation - I love it. Also love the Jane Iredale mineral powder compact. It's very natural looking but matte so you can top it up throughout the day. I love it but it's pricey also (this is the one my sister uses now and I rob whenever I visit!!;)).

Just checked my face there and there's a slight sheen with the fuschia mineral powder but it is more 'sheeney' than most mineral foundations. I find my skin is much better wearing these powder based foundations daily as it isn't as oily or as prone to breakouts as it was 18months ago when I used to wear a cheap matte liquid foundation as my day-to-day foundation which obviously blocked my pores.

Sorry tend to ramble when I start talking about make-up - just love the stuff!!!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭silverspoon

Well I have dry skin so I am kind of useless here :o, but I have a Benefit's Dr. Feelgood primer and I find it to be very mattifying, so perhaps it might work as a primer on dry skin? I find most primers try to allow more 'slip' for foundation to go on easier (in fact, I think primers are an example of the Emperor's new clothes of the beauty world. I find them crap. Might just be my shoddy application though!) Anyway thought I'd give my .2c, did find the Feelgood to work as a decent mattifier (albeit on slightly dry skin).

I tried to get a Chanel Mat Lumiere sample and the woman told me they are discontinuing it! :eek:

Tried the Estee Lauder Double Wear instead, will see how I go with that tomorrow. :)

Malari wrote: »
    I tried to get a Chanel Mat Lumiere sample and the woman told me they are discontinuing it! :eek:

Tried the Estee Lauder Double Wear instead, will see how I go with that tomorrow. :)

They're WHAT?????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

Wonder is that lady telling porky-pies?? It's still listed on the website - it's the only one that falls under the "long lasting" sub search section - so surely they couldn't be getting rid??! I realise I may be clutching at straws here..........:o
    http://www.chanel.com/en_GB/fragrance-beauty/Makeup-Foundations-95621

• Advertisement

mavisoc wrote: »
    Wonder is that lady telling porky-pies?? It's still listed on the website - it's the only one that falls under the "long lasting" sub search section - so surely they couldn't be getting rid??! I realise I may be clutching at straws here..........:o
    http://www.chanel.com/en_GB/fragrance-beauty/Makeup-Foundations-95621

She could have been jumping to conclusions based on the fact they had limited range of shades in stock and no samples? I'm going to try a couple of places at the weekend and see if I can get it to try it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭barbie_j

I would recommend Giorgio Armani ...I think they are awesome !! :D I think if you are oily skin, don't put too much things on your face.. leave your skin fresh for a while, well, I mean, without wearing any make up for few days, see if there is any improvement...:)

Advertisement