Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TD Mattie McGrath caught driving on phone

• 07-12-2010 2:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭

Footage catches mobile Mattie’s drive time error
    By Stephen Rogers
    Tuesday, December 07, 2010

JUST last August, he accused Transport Minister Noel Dempsey of behaving like a "latter-day prince entitled to royal treatment" after the minister took the Government jet to Donegal rather than travelling by road.

But after being filmed apparently flouting the rules of those very same roads, Tipperary TD Mattie McGrath may have got himself in his very own right royal mess.

The renegade Fianna Fáil TD had just taken part in an interview "as Gaeilge" about this afternoon’s budget.

After giving his opinion to the camera he is then pictured inside his van.

He is shown reversing the vehicle, moving into forward gear and then as he drives off he takes his left hand off the wheel and raises the mobile phone to the side of his head.

Worse, the footage clearly showed the location for the interview had, like most of the country for the last week, suffered the effects of the sub-zero temperatures with patches of snow dotted around.

There is no chance of Mr McGrath claiming mistaken identity given that the vehicle in which he appeared to be committing the offence was emblazoned with several larger-than-life pictures of his very own face.

Both last night’s RTÉ Nuacht and TG4’s news bulletin gave prime space to the TD’s arguments.

But today the headlines should go to the Fianna Fáiler’s latest motoring foul up. Just over a year ago he caused controversy when he openly opposed changes to the drink driving limit saying he did not believe reducing the limit from 80mg to 50mg per 100ml of blood would affect a person’s ability to drive.

At the time he added insult to injury by saying: "I know people for whom drink is a relaxant and they might be more nervous without it."

According to the Road Safety Authority, drivers are four times more likely to crash if they use a hand-held mobile phone while driving meaning they are risking their lives, the lives of their passengers and the lives of others.

Last night the Irish Examiner sought a comment from the normally outspoken TD. Ironically his mobile phone was switched off.

Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.com/home/footage-catches-mobile-matties-drive-time-error-138656.html#ixzz17Qk19YDo

pic here

:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

That's a van, not a phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,194 ✭✭✭✭Penn

At the time he added insult to injury by saying: "I know people for whom drink is a relaxant and they might be more nervous without it."

Yeah. I drive much better when I'm having a ****. Really relaxes me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

go on the mattie mcgrath

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Tubberadora

Being from Clonmel myself I see this clown around town a lot. I'd love to know what apes voted him in, in the first place. He is a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Rabble rabble rabble new enemy to take minds off other, more important, topics rabble rabble rabble.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Musta been a big phone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Rabble Rabble

The picture shows a guy in a van. We would need to see a video to prove it was moving ( although I think I can guess).

But McGrath is the worst type of FF. Nevertheless. Here's hoping the collapse in the FF vote gets him out of the Dail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

FFS, after everything Fianna Fail have done, people are worried about a TD using his fone when driving? Everyone does it, get over it. Why not concentrate instead on the real issues

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

tommyhaas wrote: »
    FFS, after everything Fianna Fail have done, people are worried about a TD using his fone when driving? Everyone does it, get over it. Why not concentrate instead on the real issues

I don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

I don't.

Thats because nobody wants to talk to you :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Surely identifying someone as both an 'idiot' and a 'Fianna Failure TD' is a tautological error? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Looks like a wadge of dough?

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

NEVER HAVE I BEEN SO SHOCKED IN MY WHOLE LIFE..........to hear that Mattie McGrath can operate a mobile phone, let alone drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

My favourite quote from a politician in 2010 - "the coursing is to combat the obesity" from none other than Mattie himself. "the obesity" mind you.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Its just a case of "Do as I say - not as I do"

While a small incident in itself, its yet another example of politicians (not just FF!) thinking they are a breed apart and immune from the law.
    ...They are probably right and I expect him to get away with it.

Of course there will the default statement from Gardi now that "we will be having words with Mr Mattie, bla... bla..."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

My favourite quote from a politician in 2010 - "the coursing is to combat the obesity" from none other than Mattie himself. "the obesity" mind you.....
    The obesity is due to the aytin'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

I love the awe and shock of this...IT MUST BE FRONT PAGE NEWS TOMORROW!

Advertisement